Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Mine's a 12 mini so this is definitely not a 14 thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I assume people have been complaining all day in here already about this incredibly stupid bullshit but just in case anyone wasn't aware, as far as I can tell you can't edit your Standby widgets anywhere other than while Standby is active, so if you try to pick your phone up off its stand while editing it'll cancel out, and also notifications while in Standby are enormous screen-filling deals that don't go in a list or anything and you can't access notification center from Standby because swiping is overridden for swapping between widgets and also those screen-filling notifications can interrupt editing.

Like I'unno it seems like a cool feature that probably pops on an always-on display but needs another year in the oven.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh and there's no controls over which notifications pop up in Standby, and on iOS the push notification service is separated from the apps sending them, so as far as I can tell it is impossible to prevent eg Discord notifications that would otherwise roll harmlessly through your Notification Center or off the top of your screen from just eating your screen if people are chatting without messing with either the global notification settings or the settings in the app. loving, clown poo poo from Apple on this account.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The TiPhone is the first time I have ever looked at an iPhone Pro and been in the slightest bit drawn to anything other than the black. Even the all white finish looks good as hell to me. The natural finish is scientifically a dirty lie but my god there is an appeal to it. And the blue. The blue!

Anyway I can't wait to find out what they do next year when I'll actually buy a new one. For now my 12 mini will soldier on another year, and I will continue to have a phone which is the Correct Size. I will never forgive you people for taking the iPhone mini from me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Urgh. Due to being bugged by the iOS 17.1 install to free up space (possibly in error? I'm reading something about the Synced Content item in iPhone Storage possibly counting twice but nobody was ever really sure what the implications of this were) I went to try and reduce how much space WhatsApp was using, and its Manage Storage option helpfully offers an option to "delete WhatsApp media" from media-heavy chats so I cleared a very long-running group chat. I've moved WhatsApp between devices before and still been able to see old messages containing media with an option to pull them from the server, and I assumed that's what this would result in, but instead this operation seems to have actually fully deleted all media messages from my chat history, along with any captions, including media sent by other people, and also synced this to my Mac WhatsApp. What the gently caress? I never used iCloud Backup in WhatsApp for security reasons so I guess all these image messages are just gone... but only for me? Now, fortunately, it's not exactly like I was using WhatsApp like some kind of storage solution, so I haven't strictly speaking lost anything except for stuff like ephemeral memes that weren't worthy of being Camera Rolled, I've just mangled a decade-long chat history so I can't reliably browse it myself again, and I'm annoyed about it.

I don't suppose I'm just missing a way to reverse this operation? (besides hard restoring an iPhone backup, which I won't be doing)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
12 mini reports 80% battery capacity. I was trying to charge it while on a Facetime call and after 10 minutes it overheated and cut off. I cooled it down and continued the call on battery and it took it from 80 to 40% in half an hour.

Come on, phone. Hold out until the 16 Pro drops. Go the full 4 years. I didn't spend all this time being apparently the last person on Earth who appreciates having an iPhone that's the Correct Size for you to die on me now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

This got very quietly added to the options under setting a schedule for Do Not Disturb. Does anyone actually know specifically how it works and what it looks for or is this another one of those Apple things where the only option is to shut the gently caress up and trust the magical AI to know what I want? I know one parameter is it'll turn on DND if you start a screen recording.

E: i think imgur isn't embedding or something so here's a url: https://imgur.com/a/1dNUgtc

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incredibly specific fairly low-stakes question that I'm sure has been asked before but gently caress if I can google it, also I hope the iPhone thread is also the Airpods thread.

When using my Airpods Max while they're plugged in to power, if I run my finger along the metal casing on either of the cups it produces a very low-pitch buzzing noise, so long as I keep the finger moving. Also I can feel the metal surface vibrating slightly while this happens. I have not noticed any other fault with function or sound quality. This is not exactly a problem because I do not need to be constantly touching my headphones while using them, but I'm deeply curious. Activating either ANC or Transparency dampens, but does not mute, the noise. Contact with other objects does not produce the noise. What in the electrical engineering is going on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

God I love electronics. I love them so much. Anyway this happens with both the wall charger I usually use for stuff and a battery pack but not when plugged directly into my Macbook Pro, although I can't tell for sure that it's actually charging of the MBP. I'm using Apple's USB-C to Lightning cable for both. I'll experiment with some other chargers later out of curiosity. Now that the idea is suggested to me, I have also noticed the same effect happening on the back surface of the watch charging part of the Magsafe Duo charger.

I feel like this should be more dangerous but I gotta figure if this poo poo was gonna shock people it would've got me by now, let alone literally anyone else. I don't understand electronics at all.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

some kinda jackal posted:

All my devices have been flashing “New Mac/Phone/Watch added to your account” but when I check there’s nothing new in my device list. I’ve also been prompted to authenticate to my iCloud account on two devices repeatedly now. If this is some kind of social engineering thing I’m not getting it. Hope it’s just some kind of backend hiccup.

There exists a 2FA bypass hack, so to speak, which involves repeatedly spamming someone with authentication requests until they accept one either out of impulse or annoyance or something. Can't tell for sure if this is what you've got but it probably couldn't hurt to cycle your iCloud password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
what was the deal with that one fabric texture. where did it come from. why was it so beloved by apple. i would watch a four hour youtube essay about that texture.