Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m using the new wallpaper where its a view of the globe, centered on your city. As I awakened my phone the thing flashed rapidly in a way that would 100% trigger an epileptic episode. It went away after a few seconds but wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Start by narrowing down the case you want (thinness, opacity, texture, material, color, accessories) then just watch, like, three YouTuhe videos about that category of cases. I’ve used Caudabe for like the past ten years and they’re great, but I’m sure there are also brands that charge half the price and provide a similar product. Brand names come with a premium.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get the impulse behind clear cases but they’re never as good an idea as you think it is. The end product is not anything close to a naked iPhone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I reaaaaally hate the new video player. The interface covers the video. And I don’t know what’s going on but when you tap the screen in a certain way it just starts jumping forward in a kinda erratic way. It’s nothing like YouTube’s interface for instance and it gives you no clue what you’re doing to cause the thing that’s happening.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

“Check out these cool new Lock Screen widgets! Also look how your photos can have the subject appear in front of the time! These are the two most noticeable features of iOS 16 and we love them. No, of course you can’t have both of them at the same time, you loving imbecile.”

- Apple, 2022
Wait you can have the subject appear in front of the time? How do you do that?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, just buy like ten Magsafe batteries and cycle through them. There’s a reason the baseline for battery life is no longer three days. No one needs it, and there’s a cleaner solution for everyone else who does.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just wanna say that the rotating wallpapers feature is easily my favorite iPhone feature of all
time. It somehow manages to auto-select all the good photos and crop them perfectly. I’ve had so many opportunities to reminisce about vacations, people and pets as my iPhone cycles through them. So happy about it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My MacBook outputs and charges using my monitor’s USB-C cable. I use the same cable to charge pretty much everything it can and it’d be super sick if it worked with my iPhone too. Currently I charge using this crappy Logitech wireless charger that doesn’t work unless it sits perfectly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Search not working or being incredibly slow is fuckin frustrating as hell

It just sat there and wouldn’t search so I had to manually find the app like a savage.
I’ve been having the same problem. Tediously slow search.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lol this is just a marketing article. it doesn’t actually say anything about what happens if there’s a hack.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The new iphones are somehow even more slippery than the old ipods. Socks are probably a very bad idea for them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the iphone feature that causes what’s on your screen to suddenly occupy just half the screen and you have to press an arrow at the top to get it to fill the whole screen again. How do I make this not a thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone have that issue where Google Maps resets when you put it in the background? I’ll search for directions, jump to another app and come back to find that Google Maps has returned to its home page, losing all my directions. This has been happening for weeks and I can’t find a solution online.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Belkin hangs off our dog’s collar 24/7. Works great.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

buglord posted:

Still nuts to me that apple has replaceable batteries for its AirTags. I wonder why they did that instead of coming up with 5 reasons why they didn’t and why you should be happy it’s that way.
They could have just made it rechargeable. Instead they get brownie points for just replaceable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do I know if my video or audio has spatial poo poo? I got airpods pro but I don’t know how to find content that uses the feature.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The new iPhones are also more likely to benefit from cases than the old Nokias, which add to the weight. But I think weight is really the least of the problems. These things just so broad that balancing them and reaching all your controls are more challenging than an old Nokia ever was. I really think there needs to be a fundamental rethink of touchscreen UIs — everything you need to touch should be within the bottom X% of the screen. There’s not really any good reason for controls to sprawl the way it has. Even if you assume two-handed operations it’s still challenging to reach for everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol if you text in sentence case like a try hard

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Apple Pay is often used synonymously by merchants to also refer to the Android and Samsung variants. If someone isn’t taking Apple Pay, chances are they’re not accepting those variants either.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

i am tired of fuckin lightning cables burning themselves out due to little bits of dust getting stuck in the socket and crossing the pins. this connector is hella lovely and it needs to die so i can just have a goddamn usb-c plug that works on my phone.
This has literally never happened to me or anyone I know

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’ve decided that mini is bad even though the real problem is the mini option had the worse camera and worse battery life which no one wants

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Virtue posted:

Anyone else find the focus on gaming a little weird? Are they actually pushing that or is it just the only thing they could think of to market the faster chip?
No one except gamers is impressed by big chip numbers

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t get all the reviewers saying the titanium phone is lighter. It’s 6.6oz compared to my 7.2oz 13 Pro. I don’t think you could really feel that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Carrier lock loving sucks. When I go overseas I can’t just swap in a foreign SIM card. I thought I got a super sick deal trading in a water-damaged XS for my 13 Pro at AT&T but it’s a three year lock-in period. Current plan is to trade in this phone to Apple for an unlocked 15 Pro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I have an AT&T plan via Firstnet that I pay $50/month for and have no plans of changing. Even international roaming is only $10/day now, up to a max of $100. Part of me cares about having a locked phone, but I will likely be with AT&T in 3 years. I don't care about the upfront cost, but no one else is going to pay me $800 for an iPhone 11 Pro, right? :effort:
If you wanna change your phone within 2 instead of 3 years, it’ll be harder to sell the carrier locked phone.

Also, I’m not sure whether AT&T honors your trade-in credits if you attempt to sign a new plan and buy a phone early.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The action button strikes me as something only power users will bother customizing. It’s like shortcuts. 99% of iPhone users never use it.

It’d be cool if they replaced it with something different, like the Apple Watch’s knob.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You lose your billing credits on your current phone if you want out early and you have to pay off the remaining balance.

Which is where I'm at on my 13 Pro. 2 years into 3 years of credits. I have the choice of riding it out and getting the phone for free, or paying like $3-400 to pay off the remaining balance and lose the billing credits.
You could do what I’m gonna do — trade in the phone to Apple to get a new one and stay on AT&T for at least another year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

You still have to buy out the balance on your phone with AT&T to do the trade and that forfeits your billing credits.
I don’t think so. You send Apple your locked phone and start using the unlocked phone. You continue your monthly payments to AT&T at the contracted, credited rate. Everything I’ve read says this is true. It’s only a problem if you’re trading in to the carrier rather than Apple.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What is "everything you've read?" This doesn't sound right at all. And you're forfeiting a ton of cash by sending your phone to Apple instead of a carrier deal.

For instance, Apple will give me $480 for my 13 Pro. ATT will give me $1000. That alone makes it not worth it, even if what you say is true.
Apple takes locked iPhones: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253403671

Trading in to Apple may make sense if (a) you want an unlocked phone or (b) you want a new phone now but you’re still paying off your current phone + receiving bill credits from your carrier.

I travel regularly and the locked phone is a massive PITA for me. I’m not saying it’s a good deal for everyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gonna try to set up financing through my Apple Card. They made the program worse. You still get an unlocked phone, you still get 3% cashback and 24 month 0% APR financing, but you have to activate your phone with one of the big three carriers, which costs you a $35 activation fee. Apparently Apple gets some of that fee. What a racket.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Big fruity company with worlds biggest market capitalization can’t handle a launch event what the gently caress

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apple Store app stuck on loading. gently caress off timothy apple

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Worked on my laptop while my App Store app on my iPhone app crapped out. Got it financed on my Apple Card, ordered on the Apple Store. Not sure what to expect for carrier activation since they provided no details on it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Google Photos doesn’t sync hidden photos, as long as you do the hiding them before they sync. No idea for iCloud.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Oh ok, so like, if for example I bought the base model 15 Pro (128gb), this makes the phone "free" to me from my $1,000 trade in 13 Pro. There would be nothing to pay off, so next year I could in theory just upgrade again and start another 3 year contract?
Your $1000 credits are spread out over your three year contract with AT&T. You get a tiny installment of it every month with each bill.

If you try the same thing again next year — trade in your 15 Pro phone to AT&T and get new credits — they’ll burn your remaining two years of credit. So you’ll effectively have gotten only $333 of credits for sending them your 13 Pro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Which is a downgrade if you find the 3x useful. If you look at the equivalent focal lengths, 77mm is probably going to come in handy more often than 120mm.
I don’t understand this, can you explain it? Isn’t the Pro Max strictly superior? It can presumably still do 3x zoom. In what situation can the Pro do something that the Pro Max can’t?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m shopping for cases for my 15 Pro and my preferred option — the Caudabe Sheath — is an exorbitant $40.

That said there’s this whole thing going on where they’re shipping the early orders without the action button cover and if you ask for it, they’ll later send you one with the button cover too.

So you basically get two cases for the price of one. Use WELCOME15 for an additional 15% off. They do charge $5 for shipping.

It’s a great case and I’ve used it for like three generations of iPhone now. Thinking I’ll move to a skin + bumper option this time round, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why won’t they let me have more widgets on the lock screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s some really interesting stuff here at 4:50 about how the new iPhone can charge other devices — or be charged by them.

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=34viETcIQ-VswshX