Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I just bought a 13 mini after hemming and hawing about my SE2 for for long enough that a full day of battery was impossible. And I absolutely love this phone. I kinda fell off the wagon a bit with what recent phones had been up to so I discovered how good phone cameras could be and that owned (and this isn't even the best).

Runs great, has more than enough battery for me (even in poor signal areas for most of the day it's like 60% when I come home), and it actually fits in my pocket. One weird thing is that my brain keeps insisting that its bigger than my old SE2 because the screen is bigger even though the actual phone body is smaller... but coming from an old home button phone to the 13 mini is the optimal choice unless you really just want a mini-er iPad mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Mini was always Mac for “missing features to hit a lower price” while the mini iPhone was “everything is the same but small” so the naming scheme never made sense. Still think it was a marketing/naming issue that killed the mini, not that people didn’t want it.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My MIL got me one of the Apple MagSafe wallets for my phone last Christmas and despite me thinking they were very dumb previously, I have basically been using it non-stop now. I don’t need much more than an ID and backup credit card and it provides my caseless phone with a bit of cushion.

My only issue is that it’s a bit thick, so my optimal solution would be a simple leather back that just MagSafes to the back and provides no side protection. Does such a thing exist? The wallet adheres pretty well and I haven’t had any issue with it sliding off and I’m assuming something larger could brace against the camera bump. Anyone know where I could find something like this?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t that what the apple wallet one does? I have it and it’s just the back, doesn’t go to the sides. 3 cards / ID max, but really 2 fits comfortably.

And also agreed, I have never been a wallet case person, but I got the MagSafe wallet a year ago and use it way more than carrying my full wallet.

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear, what I meant was like a leather “plate” that covers the whole back but isn’t a wallet, just like a thin leather piece. Sometimes I feel like the wallet adds too much bulk (I have a mini which is conveniently identical in width to the wallet so you notice it more in the hand. I have a regular sized 12 from work and I can barely tell when the wallet is attached to that one so I guess this just an issue with the mini…).

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I have the exact opposite experience with the lock screen scrubber, in that when I actually want to use it, it is nearly impossible to click and drag. I have to try multiple times to actually grab the drat thing...

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

So with Artifact finally dead, what’s a good news app? News.app is atrocious with how much it’s “here’s what we think you should read” and no matter how much I try to tune it, it just ends up becoming a somehow more cumbersome RSS reader with ads. I have an RSS reader app but I really liked that Artifact would occasionally pop up something that was interesting but also outside my typically read articles and RSS really can’t do that.

I’ve tried out a handful of other news apps and most of them are just dire clickbait nonsense slightly above downloading a tabloid directly to my phone.

Wouldn’t be a huge loss if I just read less news but is there anything decent out there I should try out?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

In beta, wait list. But you can sign up and read it on the web site in a limited, “top news” fashion.

https://www.particlenews.ai

Also,

https://www.newsminimalist.com

Checked these out, particle looks pretty promising, and news minimalist seems like a good thing for me to use right now.

Thanks, these will do nicely.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I’m kinda surprised Apple hasn’t gotten an angry phone call from Nintendo and backed down… given that it seems like emulating Nintendo hardware seems far and away the biggest chunk of the emulation scene and combined with Nintendo’s disdainful stance toward emulation, I am surprised Apple okayed this.

If only the Apple TV would be allowed alternative clients for services or even just a web browser… that’d be the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Having had various focus modes on for a significant chunk of the last few years I can safely say I have never noticed any kind of battery drain associated with having a focus mode on. That’s a very odd issue, but I occasionally just have “bad battery days” where everything just seems to drain way worse for no discernible reason and reboots don’t even help. It usually just figures itself out by the next morning.