Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Spigen are great for good protection at a cheap price. They might not last years but also they’re a fraction of the price of Apple or Otterbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t updated my 13 Pro to 16 yet. Would you guys recommend waiting for 16.1 or whatever the first update for everyone will be? It seems like there’s a lot more bugs than normal so far.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

rally posted:

It’s already had two updates.

Oh ok. I was under the impression those were only for the 14's. Thanks!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
its mind boggling that they still haven't added at least an optional shortcut to settings in the Control Center shortcuts. I probably enter Settings at least once a day.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Arguing against more functionality is peak Apple Fanboy

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

more options are generally a good thing but lol that settings is apparently the app you need to access constantly. like i asked, why? what you doin' in there, bud?

It's the only way to connect to Bluetooth devices that don't connect automatically.
It's the only way to connect to specific nearby WiFi.
I often have to switch between 5G and LTE because one or the other will slow down in congested areas.
I don't use unlimited data so I occasionally like to see how much data I've used.
It's the only way to toggle Personal Hotspot, which I don't want on all the time.
If I download a new app I gotta configure the way notifications are displayed.

and probably several other things that aren't janitoring but can only be done through Settings. So I probably do at least one of these things daily. Considering how useless some of the shortcuts they DO have for the Control Center are, it's pretty bizarre to keep so much functionality confined to an App icon only.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 25, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don’t get the 13 Mini. Barely any difference to justify the price even at $350. 88% battery also means you still have a little bit before it affects performance.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can turn off 5G in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, and selecting LTE.

I have to do this from time to time when 5G just stops working.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Turn off Background App Refresh completely. I've never been able to notice any discernable difference with it on other than more battery drain.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

Are things like gmail, outlook, teams, etc not reliant on background refresh?

No, anything like that relies on Push/Fetch. I've left Background App Refresh off for years and there is no discernable difference, but if I turn it on there is a discernable difference in battery drain (and I'm not someone that obsesses over the battery).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Practically speaking I think all the apps refresh when you open them anyways.

Yeah, and they do this whether or not Background App Refresh is on or off.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

My iPhone is starting to fill up with space. Noticed that "System Data" is taking a whopping 24GB. How do I size that down? That cant be iOS, because iOS right next to it is 9GB, right?

If you have iCloud Photos enabled AND "Optimize Storage" also enabled, all of your photo and video data is actually displayed as System Data. The same applies if you use Apple Music and download your music but use "Optimize Storage" there as well.

If you don't do these things but you want to get rid of it, a Restore will fix it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WerthersWay posted:

When I plug in my iPhone into my PC to back it up, iTunes defaults to my SSD. Is there a way to change it so it saves to my much larger D:\ drive or does Apple prevent you from choosing?

I think it has to be on whichever drive has your Windows installation and you can't choose. You can, however, move the backup folder it creates elsewhere and then move it back if you need to restore from it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

sourdough posted:

Using an iphone with Gmail, Google maps, Google photos, chrome, gcal, etc, works great and there's no reason to switch to apple's versions if you're already used to and using google's

Not only that but you can delete the iOS versions of the apps if you want to.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Regarding auto app updates, it’s hard to tell if it even works because the apps have a new update seemingly every two or three days now. Any day you decide to manually check, there will inevitably be some updates.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apple also likes anything that makes their phones instantly stand out from Android phones. First it was the single circular home button, then the notch, and now the Dynamic Island is the next iteration of that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

abelwingnut posted:

i updated a while ago, but i forgot to ask. did the new version of ios go full throttle on the white levels on the main screen? for whatever reason my white end of the spectrum looks super high. is there a way to reduce this?

I haven't noticed any change, but you can reduce the white level in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Reduce White Point

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
TrueTone only ever seems to tint the screen warmer. It does not make the screen cooler to match daylight. I don’t like it. Also since I edit a lot of photos on the phone I want the screen colors to be consistent. This also might be my OCD talking but I swear TrueTone results in choppier visuals.

My tip for new iPhone users is to turn off Background App Refresh. It doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference in app performance but it does use more battery when enabled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

My tip is don’t do this, you don’t need to janitor your phone. Just use it like a normal person.

My tip is to learn the basic functions and settings of your phone, especially things that take 10 seconds to toggle off and have a noticeable benefit to turning off, and not be a typical Apple fanboy that refuses to learn how their device works.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

What the hell does this mean lol

A cliche of Apple worshippers is to not change or complain about anything in their devices because "Apple wanted it that way and Apple knows best". There is no benefit to Background App Refresh. The apps refresh any time you launch or relaunch them anyway whether the setting is on or off. Turning it off results in noticeable battery life improvement, and I say this as someone who thinks people obsess over battery life too much.

There's a lot of space between "learning how your phone works and setting it up to your preference" and "janitoring your phone", but a lot of you have a weird mentality that even opening the Settings app at all is janitoring your phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If I convert my SIM to an eSIM, is it now tied to that device or my iCloud account? What happens if I need to do an iTunes/Finder restore?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

Turn off the battery percentage.

This is the solution to like 75% of battery life "issues"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Could you expand? Not following

Having the phone constantly displaying the battery percentage makes people obsess over the battery percentage. If you turn it off, you aren't aware of minor fluctuations in battery drain.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, use CarPlay over USB. Not only do you get better sound quality than through Bluetooth, you keep your phone charged throughout the day.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a way to lock the lock screen buttons? I’m currently snowboarding and have the phone in a front pouch, and the camera and flashlight get regularly triggered for some reason. Would be nice if it didn’t.

Try turning off Raise to Wake. It activates the screen in your pocket way more than people think it does.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Good Sphere posted:

What other setting am I missing for iPhone brightness? My screen has been noticeably dark, except when I take a screen shot - it goes to full brightness for a moment.

I have brightness up all the way, true tone off and nightshift off. What am I missing?

Possibly you have "Reduce White Point" enabled? Settings > Accessibility > Display

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah just back your stuff up to the cloud and factory reset your phone. People aren’t denying your lived experience or whatever, it’s just not an issue that affects most people, and there’s only a few different models of iPhone. You’ll probably be fine after a big reset.

This. A restore process is not hard. Even if you set up the phone as new, if you have iCloud enabled for everything it still makes it pretty painless. Restore through iTunes or Finder though. Erasing the phone through the phone itself does not re-install iOS and the firmware, it only erases your data.

E: you probably don’t even need to set it up as new. Create an encrypted backup in iTunes/Finder. Restore through iTunes/Finder. Restore backup. The whole process takes like 20 minutes and there’s very little to set up after the restore process.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 17, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was less about the time that a charge lasts and more that, once your phone battery health percentage dips into the low 80's, you are likely to start seeing performance issues?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There was a time when I was suspended from a job and spent weeks waiting for phone calls on the outcome. I had my ringtone set to one of the defaults- "Slow Rise", so now every time I hear that I get a little tiny anxiety attack.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it, what's the general consensus on the best adblocker for iOS/Safari?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, doing a restore through iTunes/Finder and restoring a backup significantly reduces the system data size. I think it clears all the cache.

Also if you have iCloud Photos enabled and “Optimize iPhone Storage” enabled, if the full size photos and videos are on your phone, they fall under system data rather than photo data. See also: Optimize Music Storage. This is one of those things Apple should be clear about so people don’t get confused, but they choose to not be.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Sounds like Apple has some growing up to do.

Yeah! They're not gonna become a leading tech company with this attitude!!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They need to kill iTunes but there still needs to be a Windows app that does what Finder does for iPhones . I think that's the only reason iTunes is still around.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I demand a "never autocorrect a correctly spelled word" option. That's the only thing I hate about typing on iPhone - sometimes I swear it randomly decides to get really aggressive with altering what you're typing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

illcendiary posted:

really bad/nonexistent adaptive hit reg

What does this mean?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to suggest Apple Certified Refurbished, but, well, the prices are kind of stupid. Why is an iPhone 12 Pro still going for $759?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did you try a hard reset? (Rapidly: Volume up, release, volume down, release, press and hold power button until Apple logo appears)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no planned obsolescence. Apps and other things just become more resource hungry. There's also the battery to consider, but this isn't a factor for their desktops.

The fact that you absolutely cannot downgrade devices to an iOS version from when they were faster is a form of planned obsolescence. Safety and security, yadda yadda yadda... by now they could give older devices the option to downgrade and only install security patches if they really wanted to.

I have a 2016 SE that a friend gave me that was basically never used. I only really have it to mess around with. I had to format it so I could use it so it's running iOS 15. I actually had a different SE back in 2016 when the phone was new. There's no way the phone was originally this slow and choppy... it's basically unusable now. Apps are one thing, but everything you do on the phone is slow and choppy and there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, this stuff doesn't really become an issue until well past the point where you're probably gonna get a new device anyway.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, with Messenger and a few other apps, if you view the message on desktop, it doesn’t auto clear on the app. You have to open the app again to clear it. Turning on Background App Refresh doesn’t fix this. It’s rather annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Under Software Update in iOS Settingsg, is Beta Updates appearing just standard for everyone now? Or is it because I have registered for beta releases in the past?