Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple Care + is my case.

When I upgraded to the 13 Pro, I managed to smash my trade-in phone while waiting for the pre-order to arrive. One quick support ticket later, I was mailing back a pristine replacement that I’d held for 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I wonder if the Island will stick around or if it’s just a gimmicky stopgap until whatever redesign they got planned for the big 15.

The iPhone X introduced the notch (at the same time that the last "new" Touch ID phone came out) in 20182017 in the high-end only phone. Now in 2022 they introduce the first island design (at the same time, perhaps, the last "new" notch phone comes out) in the high end only phone. The notch heralded the end of the home button and the new swipey-swipey interface. They've clearly put a lot of effort into the UX/UI of the island including APIs they are asking developers to use. I think it's very likely we'll have it for 4 or more years.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 16, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Pull down on the home screen, tap the first letter of the app you want (sometimes the second) and tap the app. No shouting, no managing home screens.

I do this gesture so automatically, I had to grab my phone to remember what it was.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Last I checked before just going T-Mobile: Switching to a local phone number breaks iMessage sometimes, can disrupt 2FA at exactly the moment you are most likely to be asked since you are suspiciously logging into your bank from a different country, and prevents easy access to things like voicemail.

Maybe things are better with dual sim?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, we’re talking about.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t work in international, but I occasionally provision or explain it, and man, it’s amazing how many people in the US both just don’t get the concept of a local number in said country, and also just won’t go through the “hassle” of checking. US carriers have people here trained very well to just accept and not research IMO.

Last I checked, the hassle was considerable. But I haven’t needed to think about it for a few years so maybe it’s all good now.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If she is getting 1.5 hours battery life on 85% health, replacing the battery might not especially matter.

What’s burning her battery according to battery activity? Is she playing games? Pokémon Go? Lots of video? Is it charging fully? 1.5 hours is very few hours.

The OS should not be killing the battery that fast.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Different models of ownership. In a shared library, everyone has the ability to edit photos, favorite, etc which was not the case in shared album. You are co-owners of the photos. I also remember dimly that shared albums had lower resolution? Shared library shares the originals.

New hotness:

quote:

All participants have equal permissions to add, edit, and delete content in the Shared Library, while the person who set up the Shared Library, the library creator, provides iCloud storage for all of the content. Everyone else gets access to the Shared Library content without it counting towards their iCloud storage.
Vs old system

quote:

You can share photo and video albums with friends and family who use iCloud, and they can view shared albums in the Photos app. You decide if the people you share with can add photos or videos to the album or just comment on and like them.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

My Withings scale updates over wifi, but best I can tell, you still have to open the app to get it to update.

Wow. Smart scales are stupid.

I’d been planning to get one but until I did, I made a shortcut that takes a number input and sends it to Health. Good to know I stumbled on to the state of the art.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
14 Pro Owners: How is the Dynamic Island? Meaningful UI improvement? Just kinda cool? Annoying?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I was on a business trip for a multi day meeting and so got to have my first “you might be being stalked” notification because of a colleague’s AirPods. Which is pretty neat and also illustrates the problem that stalkers can use any device with an anti loss location feature to track you. AirTags just get the attention because they are new and their only job is tracking things.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Spatial audio is dumb and I wish there was an option to disable it (is there?).

There is.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Now every time I full screen a YouTube video a little message appears in the middle of the screen to tell me that I have full screened the video for a few seconds. This is not fatal but it is annoying as hell. Is there a way to disable this helpful prompt?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Maybe I’ll have to re-enable vinegar. I preferred 1blocker because vinegar tended to not have chapters and lose my place when swapping devices.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Been having trouble with Safari lately, not sure for how long. Weeks for sure.

It does this thing where the page will just get “stuck” on either a blank page or on the wrong page (like, the previous page I was at if I hit the back button) and the only way to solve it is to force quit Safari. I have to do this multiple times daily. It’s like it ran out of RAM. I have a 12 Pro.

I’m experiencing this on my iPad. I assumed it was some jank of the various ad blockers or whatever I have installed. But now you have me wondering if it’s something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple is working on making this particular theft model harder to do.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/12/23998665/apple-stolen-device-protection-face-touch-id-icloud-account-vulnerability-ios-17-3-beta

Because so much of our lives is tied to our phones it’s a weird situation where “let me show you this funny picture” requires the same level of care as “here is access to drain all my accounts.”