Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is anyone concerned about burn in with the Always On display? Samsung introduced the feature with the Galaxy S8 and I used it and could see burn in from the clock and to my shame the Awful app borders. But that was a few years ago, display tech improves pretty fast.

Beside the early burn-in with the first OLED iPhones i don't have heard much about that issue recently, i think that whatever mitigation has been used to keep the lower slider bar from being burned will hopefully be used for the lock screen clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case people were wondering if the AirPods Pro recall trick was still active, it does. Just grabbed a free set(L/R) with a single malfunctioning earbud.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For the people who have had the crackling in their AirPods, is there a certain thing that triggers it?

I think one of my AirPods is doing it whenever I talk while listening to something. It seems to crackle or buzz as if the microphone is picking up the sound and putting it through to the actual podcast sound.

The reason I am asking is that the nearest Apple Store is almost 2 hours away. I want to make sure that I am on the right path before driving that far.

Listening to high volume drum and bass(something with high bpm) while on transparency or noise cancel was the core trigger for mine.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That happened to me as well. I only noticed crackling in one but when they ran the diagnostic both failed.

The issue on AirPods pro mics manifests only on noise cancelling scenarios and noise cancelling scenarios will fail if even one is broken

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
USB-C euro mandate has passed https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/usb-c-mandate-moves-forward-in-eu-wireless-charging-regulation-could-follow/

I would guess 2023 iPhones to be the last lightning device if Apple doesn't decide to anticipate the change.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Every rumor has been pointing at the 2023 iPhone being USB-C, which will pretty much leave just AirPods, some (all?) wireless Beats, the base iPad, and AppleTV remotes with Lightning, and I suspect the base iPad is getting a redesign to look like the rest of the lineup.

Audio devices and tablets will have to jump too in 2024, I think only the remote will be out of scope in that list. Also magsafe is not safe(AYYYYYYY) as usb-c connector for charging will be mandatory from 2026.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have a good source on that? There's no way they'll add a USB-C port on the Watch.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

The watch is supposed to count as a fitness device so it will be outside of the mandate of the law. Airpods and Beats fit neatly into it.

Data Graham posted:

Just when we get MagSafe back on the MBPs we have to lose it again? Are you serious

e: or do they not count as "mobile devices"?

Spring 2026, they are giving OEM two extra years since laptops have longer lifecycles than phones.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 5, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CaptainCrunch posted:

I may be mistaken but I believe the new M1 MacBook Pros can change via MagSafe OR USB-C.
Unless the new law stipulates a device can ONLY charge via USB-C MagSafe should be... Mag-Safe.

The media packages states in multiple parts that charging must be done mandatorily over a usb-c port so that no special cables would be required to be purchased for each devices. It's all about gadgets tho, no mentions of laptops(the original docket didn't include them).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh gently caress, the minutes are out but not the final directive. This is one of the amendments from yesterday

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-9-2022-0129_EN.html

equipment operating with power delivery of up to 100W falling under the scope of this Directive:
- hand-held mobile phones,
- tablets, e-readers, laptops,
- digital cameras,
- headphones, headsets, earbuds,
- handheld videogame consoles, keyboards, mice, screens, printers,
- portable speakers, portable navigations, digital radios,
- smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment,
- electronic toys.

Apple watch is in the list too then.

Soul Glo posted:

Does the new EU law prevent Apple from just paying a fine if Apple decides implementing USB-C costs more than just leaning on their proprietary licensed accessory market

The amendment says that Apple must justify for each device, every time the commission feels like it, why they did not implement it, with solid reasoning unless they want bad things to happen.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PirateDentist posted:

The new apple watch charging puck is USB-C on the other end now. Does any fitness thing/watch use a direct connection with a standard port? Don’t most of them use an adapter that itself has a USB plug?

I wonder if that’ll be enough to satisfy them. The actual power supply can be USB-C.

Garmin has a connector on vivoactives which is physical with bogopins but almost as big/deep as usb-c. The cheaper fitness watches are mostly all bogopins, not inductive charging, with pretty much usb-a laid out on the chassis.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

You should have scrolled down one more paragraph:

I wonder if the ultra will fit in the "too thin" category...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

So my region’s covid exposure app ended service last month. Is there any benefit at all to leaving exposure notifications on in iOS or is it just a battery drain that does nothing for me now?

Even if the backend is gone, the app will attempt to send data so I would suggest to delete the app.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's not an app though. It's just baked into the OS. You can disable it, however, by tapping "turn off exposure notifications" or removing the region.

And funny this should come up. I went to a music festival last weekend that had 160k people over 4 days. I got my first exposure notification in probably 18 months, which shows just how few people actually used it.

Most EU covid exposure platforms were app based and iOS relied on that apps to even enable the exposure stack. iOS doing it without an app is done only in the united states AFAIK.

My whole office is mostly novaxxers and 5g believers, I'm fairly confident to be the only one using IMMUNI so even being deep in the covid swamps(and having my office room mates being infected multiple times, sometimes several variants each) it didn't provide much intelligence.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bought my first AirTags for my ATV remotes because kids suck at not losing them. Why in the world are the sounds so quiet on them?! I can barely hear them unless the room is perfectly quiet.

They are fairly loud, did you fit in a cover/holder that blocks the sides? You might be blocking the speaker output.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

Italy data only plans are more expensive than data+voice unless you go for minuscule amounts. An iliad data+voice with hundreds of gigs cost as much as a 50g data only plan from TIM.
Anyway iMessage is data traffic as long as you don't have android friends in the group session but you will have to set the italian sim to be the sole provider of connectivity, there is a toggle to load balance traffic that must be kept off.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Dave posted:

The usb-c thing is by 2024 right? I figured they’d milk it for as long as possible.

I wonder if they will keep selling the old models with an updated logic board/chassis or they will wipe the slate clean with just the 15/15 pro SKU on sale.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

You must be the only person on the planet who doesn’t consider usbc more friendly and convenient.

Also has anyone found their battery life improve massively after the latest update? This 13 mini didn’t last a day before but now it just goes and goes.

Make it two, every apple device I have but the watch is lightning and I plan to grab the last iPhone pro without usb-c to be commercialized to avoid going around with multiple cables everywhere I go.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

American McGay posted:

I’d like to see the setups of the people who complain about “having to use two different cables” though. Probably complete disaster areas. An extra cable isn’t gonna kill you.

It's more of a defense mechanism given that i routinely have to repurchase my personal cable pool since assholes in the office will grab any cable left unattended, having to stock two types will add up over time(no, punching cable thieves is no longer doable).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom and her husband just switched over to iPhone after always being on Android. Her husband is having an issue with an old LG bluetooth headset he uses. He needs it max volume for reasons, but iOS keeps automatically turning it down. Reduce loud volume is turned off in sound & haptics, headphone notifications is turned off, and he’s tried changing device type to everything in Bluetooth settings. No matter what, the phone automatically reduces volume. Is there any way to get around this?

You can set up the third party headset as a car stereo so the safety isn't triggered. This trick doesn't work with native apple audio product obvs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smackfu posted:

Is there such thing as a weight scale that puts data into Apple Health automatically, or is opening an iPhone app every time just a necessary step?

My old withings scale does send the records over wi-fi to withings but if i open the app, all data will be sent to apple health. My busted garmin index worked the same(while being worse than the withings so i advise against getting one).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

actionjackson posted:

thanks. what is PD?

This -> https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting. Looking it up, it says "by 2024".

Regardless, the dreaded discussion: Apple should allow people to bypass their payment processor and allow to send NFC data regardless of any deals.

NFC data is freely usable right now, it's just payment type NFC that is blocked. I'm not a fan of doing free for all on that kind of traffic given how easy is to clone/sniff.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If I convert my SIM to an eSIM, is it now tied to that device or my iCloud account? What happens if I need to do an iTunes/Finder restore?

Tied to device, in certain cases non transferable(depends on telco provider).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Grab a lightweight powerbank (8000-12000mAh) and keep it along the phone. If the battery isn't enough, that way you can hold your current workflow without having to commit cash on that old phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

withak posted:

Google Photos or Dropbox

OneDrive will also do the trick.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

I like HEIC and Live Photo. Do third parties preserve Live Photo?

OneDrive will not recode heic and livephoto.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OldSenileGuy posted:

I prefer using Apple Maps instead of Google or Waze, but you're correct that their speed trap alerts have been 100% wrong in my experience. When they say there's one ahead, I never see one, and I see them all the time when there was no warning. Would be nice if they could get some kind of data sharing agreement with Google/Waze for this info, but that'll never happen.

Waze "notify the community about a mobile speed trap" is illegal in multiple countries so every other mapping solution will just use the static speed trap data provided by tomtom or here(which is in turn provided by the local municipalities) to avoid legal disputes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pzy posted:

https://chipolo.net/en-us/products/chipolo-card-spot?cl=header

This thing is pretty small and works the same as an AirTag

No replaceable battery tho, given that my airtags are all on their third battery each in two years of ownership i'm not a big fan of non-replaceable batteries for this purpose.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Amazon.it is doing a 22% discount promo on standard 14 - 128gb today. I'm currently on a 64gb XR with a 95% health battery. I wanted to know the goon consensus if it's a good idea to upgrade or it's a bad deal. Every apple device i have is on lightning so usb-c is actually a downgrade.

Edit: I forgot to mention, minimal storage size is not an issue since i have my own NAS and OneDrive. Camera improvements will be strongly appreciated since I stopped carrying my old canon ixus along.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 12, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

~Coxy posted:

The Canon Ixus is a P&S according to Google?

I bought a ~$300 P&S (Canon PowerShot that tries to look like Micro 4/3) in 2019 and I was disgusted at how garbage the pictures were compared to the goddamn iPhone 8.
I would have thought your XR would already be better than the Canon, but if not the the 14 will be a miracle.

Canon Digital IXUS 90 IS also known as power shot SD790 in the states. Unlike the XR, it has optical zoom (last time i had to get some zoom out of the XR, I had to prop a binocular in front of the phone lens to see anything) and sorta decent glass so it can still produce slightly better pics when there isn't a lot of light. Movie wise it's so obsolete there is no contest.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I just ordered it along with a grandpa style flip cover(I'm old ok?).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 12, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Amazon just delivered the phone(with pretty much zero packaging). Trying to move data, I'm having a shitload of issues. The wizard is getting stuck on the firmware update part, second time i had to reinitialize. I'm skilled enough to use configurator to circumvent this if it gets stuck on the third attempt but isn't this supposed to be fire and forget?

Edit: it worked at the second attempt, migrating viable data for less than a third of the apps. Had to set up every app beside games.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 13, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Sanity check, is it normal that iPhone migration doesn’t move alarms during the copy process? I had the old phone ring instead of the new.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it's basic knowledge, but I wanted to remind that turning off 5G is a real battery save option. On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day. If you don't need upload/download on the move (say you are in a wifi covered area), you will save a decent amount of charge.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wooger posted:

Gross phone janitor bullshit.

If I wanted to fiddle and worry about battery life and check settings I’d have an android phone. Low power mode should be enough.

On the same note, I also refuse to consider any data plan that’s not unlimited - I don’t want to ever think about it.

Without this "trick", my new phone discharges to 40% in less than eight hours. I was kinda pissed at this less than five days old phone having less charge by the end of the work day than my 95% battery health XR. I mean, i could carry a bandolier of powerbanks to compensate, but it seems more hassle than a simple software toggle.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

POCKET CHOMP posted:

hello OP how did you arrive at this statistic thank you and god bless

Simple comparison of battery levels when putting the phone on charge after my shift (0730-1730), same apps, same settings on both phones.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This sounds like you have a problem somewhere on your phone. I leave 5G enabled on my iPhone 13, and I get very very modest power consumption. Maybe 20-30% in eight hours, with light use (ie not using it for video calls).

It's mostly being in my pocket but receiving teams messages and checking emails(pushing those notifications to my apple watch). Without 5G it's coming home at 75-80%, With 5G it's 55-60% on a good day.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 17, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I toggle off 5G sometimes because 5G just kinda sucks sometimes, but I don't notice a difference in battery drain. When I leave it on I use "5G Auto" instead of "5G On". Have you tried that? 5G Auto is supposed to only use 5G data if it won't result in significant battery drain, per the explanation in Settings.

The worse battery scenario in my last post was recorded on the default 5G auto setting, since I'm mostly on wifi there is no difference for me in throttling (if I wanted to max janitor i could disable data entirely, but that's excessive even for me). I wasn't expecting this tidbit to create such vitriol :shrug:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

Just as a note for interested goons:

Windshield wiper fluid is likely methanol based plus a little bit of detergent, just rinse it with a dry microfiber cloth if it happens. If it has been "cut" with demineralized water, it's less powerful than the isopropyl alcohol you see in alcohol wipes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure Apple will let you go from iPad to iPhone.

Oh sure it will, as long as you do the pseudo qr code scan. It happened to me while attempting to migrate from my xr to my new 14, and the first apple device i had on hand was the ipad. Cue the 14 attempting to load the ipad data rather than my current iphone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Leaving work and handing in my iPhone 13. I've been very happy with it and feel no need to upgrade to 14.

I went ahead and ordered the 128 GB 13 mini. Someone tell me how stupid I am while I can still cancel it.

I figured I always preferred smaller phones anyway, and AFAIU the phone is just as capable as the large 13?

You are trading battery for a one handed device. If you don't mind carrying a powerbank in your bag, you won't notice the difference.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Anyone with a beta profile and a phone different than a 14 pro can check if the standby mode works? The iOS preview page doesn't mention a specific model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wooger posted:

Pretty much no one uses sms or iMessage in the UK in 10+ years, WhatsApp has 100% market share, it’s basically required to take part in local sports or community groups, school parent groups and even a workplace emergency preparation plan.

The only person i talked with on iMessage is a friend that wanted to test it and then went back to whatsapp since nobody uses facetime/imessage. In Italy is so common, telcos throw unlimited sms in every offer as filler since those never get used.