Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're made of the cheapest trash leather imaginable, but feel nice enough in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Stainless steel won't scratch

lol what

Anyway, looking at the case of my 13 Pro after a year, being in a case is definitely the right decision

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 15, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

:hmmyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't it "vegan leather", so really it's cellulose and plastic?

No it's real leather, at least in so far as it's made of tanned animal hide. It's just ridiculously cheap and thin it may as well not be.

quote:

This case is made with high-quality, supple leather to protect your iPhone. Leather is a natural material and, like a fine leather belt, it may show creases, marks or a patina over time.

101 posted:

No, it isn't which feels weird considering the ethos Apple usually tries to puts across
Ehhhh. Almost all leathers* are byproducts of other industries, so it's not exactly like they're paying someone to go out and murder cows to make leather, and unlike other industries, there's nothing really to reduce other than perhaps the use of certain tanning chemicals.

*To my knowledge alligator is the only animal slaughtered explicitly for its skin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Okay, the new Lock Screen is great, but can someone explain the difference between ‘duotone’ and ‘colour wash’ because both filters seem identical?

Duotone is, as the name suggest, two complementary colors. Color wash is a single color in different intensities. If you're not colorblind, the difference should be pretty apparent if you pick the same tone in the (...) menu.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine getting any color other than the vaguely fun color of the year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WarMECH posted:

Is it true that iOS 16 removed the auto dark/light theme? I like that my current (stock Apple) wallpaper changes to dark at night at the same time as my widgets/apps in iOS 15 but apparently you need to gently caress with Focus settings to re create this behavior for some reason now?

This? If so, no, it's still there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish it showed the "feels like" temperatures, I'm just not interested in adding it to mine otherwise :sigh:

Carrot has a widget for this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only Nano they're still servicing is the 7th Gen. iFixit has 4th gen batteries in stock but rates the repair as Very Difficult and includes soldering. A local shop may be willing to do it, but I'd be surprised if you'd find it worth the money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

In case people were wondering if the AirPods Pro recall trick was still active, it does. Just grabbed a free set(L/R) with a single malfunctioning earbud.

Did the same recently, too. Didn't even ask for the working one to be replaced but they did anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magsafe ones definitely need to be removed to charge. There may be stick-on ones you can put lower on the phone, but really anything in the area where you'd want to hold the thing is going to interfere with wireless charging.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They can charge something as a warranty repair rather than a damage repair. Might have hit the wrong button or were feeling nice or whatever. They did it once for me for what would have been a $700 MacBook screen replacement since the worker thought the story of how it happened was funny. (Cat knocked over my TV onto it.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every rumor has been pointing at the 2023 iPhone being USB-C, which will pretty much leave just AirPods, some (all?) wireless Beats, the base iPad, and AppleTV remotes with Lightning, and I suspect the base iPad is getting a redesign to look like the rest of the lineup.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

Is it a Known Thing for CarPlay to be garbo and disconnect sometimes?

About 50% of the time, if I try to play music (from Apple Music, and this happened in Spotify too) on my car while I'm using navigation (Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps), it will completely disconnect from CarPlay. The way to fix it is either to unplug my phone and plug it back in (works sometimes), turn the car off and on (works more often it seems), or to set the audio source to the FM radio, listen to the radio for about five seconds, and then change the source back to the iPhone.
This also happens on my wife's iPhone, which may mean it's the car.

Is this a weird quirk of my car or is it just How CarPlay Works?

Mine does this, but I have a third-party head unit I installed myself, so who knows what the problem is. My trouble-shooting is about the same as yours, and sometimes just buying a new cable fixes it for awhile, but sometimes not! :iiam:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My CarPlay issues have existed across phones and it's never been a shock issue. For me, it's either it gives me an error when I first connect or it works fine and continues to work fine. Very rarely it'll spit out the error after a little bit, but it's almost always either working or not.

SlowBloke posted:

Oh gently caress, the minutes are out but not the final directive. This is one of the amendments from yesterday

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-9-2022-0129_EN.html

equipment operating with power delivery of up to 100W falling under the scope of this Directive:
- hand-held mobile phones,
- tablets, e-readers, laptops,
- digital cameras,
- headphones, headsets, earbuds,
- handheld videogame consoles, keyboards, mice, screens, printers,
- portable speakers, portable navigations, digital radios,
- smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment,
- electronic toys.

Apple watch is in the list too then.

The amendment says that Apple must justify for each device, every time the commission feels like it, why they did not implement it, with solid reasoning unless they want bad things to happen.
You should have scrolled down one more paragraph:

quote:

Smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment are exempted from this provision when the small size of the product does not allow to be equipped with USB Type-C receptacle;

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

5G isn't a real thing so they had to get creative

Should have just called it birds then

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Both the Galaxy S20 and Huawei P20 Pro have USB-C ports, so their USB-C chargers should work fine with the USB-C to Lightning cable that comes in the box. Even if you sold the chargers with the phones or something there's absolutely zero reason to buy an Apple charger, assuming there at least some reputable charger companies selling in Mexico.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Chingon posted:

Yes, I'm using an old USB charger right now. The point I was trying to make is that Apple charges a premium for everything that I just seems greedy. Maybe I was just naive but I didn't notice any of this while on Android. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the usefulness of the lightning port.

I also want to mention that I'm now looking for deals on Apple Watch and Airpods Pro, so the company is doing something good in trying to pull you into their ecosystem.
I can't speak for Mexico, but in the US, Apple and Samsung charge the same for their phone charging bricks. Known good brand Anker has similar ones that range from a little cheaper to a little more expensive. It's just what good charging bricks that won't set your house on fire cost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was a brief period I got a bunch of exposure notifications in short order. One actually got me sick! My city lets you input home tests, though, but I don't think most people are actually using it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kalman posted:

That's what I did on a recent work trip, just turned off data on my Verizon line and added an eSIM from Airalo. Most of my time I was on wifi but some usage off wifi; used iMessage and pretty sure I actually texted and I didn't trigger Travel Pass. (It's possible that they went out via Wifi Calling which might be why it didn't trigger.)
Cool, this was my plan for the trip, right down to adding the eSIM in Airalo. Wife and I both have iPhones and figured iMessage and FaceTime Audio would be good enough for if we get split up.

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh absolutely.
Yeah, this is why I don't care to use Verizon. $16 for 10 GB through Airalo or $100 for half that? No contest there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, the roaming rates are very stupid.

They (of course) have never said what they are actually are charged roaming rate wise. It’s obviously not $10 a day, but man I have always been curious to know what US carriers are actually charged for roaming rates, which of course would tell you how much they overcharge for it.

I don’t work in international, but I occasionally provision or explain it, and man, it’s amazing how many people in the US both just don’t get the concept of a local number in said country, and also just won’t go through the “hassle” of checking. US carriers have people here trained very well to just accept and not research IMO.

Verizon? Sure they tell you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Technically it will continue to get security updates for a time, which is the real concern. Most apps target a lower iOS version than current.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but probably best to bite the bullet next year so it’s sellable as they release other models.

I didn’t really read through the legislation whether they have to stop selling previously released lightning charger phones or not. Like, will they be able to sell the 14 once the dates take effect.

IMO, unless it’s super cheaper to make the 13 and 14 with a USB (which would be kind of lol if it is), this is a Europe only issue, so they would probably just only sell the 15 in Europe. Which, that is millions of sales lost , so I guess it depends on how much it costs to alter the older phones to USB C (I assume it’s a lot but I’m not exactly an expert).

I skimmed it and no, it only applies to devices initially released after the law goes into effect. Apple won't need to re-engineer USB-C into existing models.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I could’ve sworn it used to be possible to get support with Apple through means other than a phone call. I tried their twitter but they basically just told me to call them, but my throat’s a bit hosed at the moment and I really don’t wanna spend half an hour talking just to repeat all the stuff I could already tell them in a chat box.

Download the Support app!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In my experience that stuff takes a bit to update for whatever reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Go to Apple Park or Infinite Loop and you can buy all the wacky Apple T-shirts you want. Each store has different designs, with IL being more retro, so you’ll want to visit both.

They’ve got other merch too, like sketchbooks and pens and water bottles. Or the cool product flash cards, which unfortunately were out of stock when I visited.

lol are they seriously packed in boxes?

rly want the flying Apple logo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Withings scale updates over wifi, but best I can tell, you still have to open the app to get it to update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Car USB ports might not be giving more than the maximum power for USB-A (5W?), so it could certainly just be that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no LTE shutdown date yet (ignoring that T-Mobile shut down the legacy Sprint LTE networks)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

4 or 4S

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If a pretty clueless person walked into an Apple store and purchased an iPhone 14, would the store people handle converting their (Verizon) nano SIM into an eSIM for them?
Yeah they will sit there with you and help you set up the new phone if you want. If you're staying on Verizon, it'll do it as part of setup, but you may need to call in if it's being dumb like my wife had to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Lol. They could easily make installing apps from third parties annoying with a few pop-ups and checkboxes and stuff and put scary warnings so idiots don't gently caress up their phones. Allowing sideloading is not going to be some doom and gloom end of everything.
Yeah, this is how Android does it. You have to go check some boxes that give big warnings about how doing so will definitely make your phone immediately explode. If you don't want to sideload things, you can simply not do that!

I imagine if FB decides to pull their apps off the App Store, there will pretty immediately be third-party apps that are just optimized browser wrappers. (These even already exist.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They usually work fine for me when I actually forget to update things manually, but that's pretty rare. It definitely usually takes a few days after a release for it to happen, but I think that's intentional.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

App updates I never have a problem with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just wish it would save my position on radio shows. Been really enjoying After School Radio and Time Crisis lately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you queue up an album, it should show the whole upcoming track listing in the queue and you can just delete that one from it. I don't think there's a way to make it do it every time you play the album, though, short of adding the album to your library and deleting that specific track.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing on Verizon. That's neat, though kinda pointless for me since I have unlimited anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I just checked my iPhone 14 Pro and there's a cellular data breakdown under Settings>Cellular at the bottom

edit - Verizon for reference

Yes, the cellular data breakdown is there for everyone. What we are talking about is how T-Mobile automatically resets the "Current period" at the start of each billing cycle. Only T-Mobile in the US does this according to the above. My current period goes back to March 24, 2020, which isn't particularly useful for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

aside from Ikea and I guess... Hue?... lol what the gently caress is any of this stuff, OP

These are mostly extremely common, well-known brands in home automation/IoT stuff. Ecobee, Eufy, Hue, Lutron, WeMo, August, and Level are all available at your local Best Buy. Ikea is available at Ikea (obviously).