Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Someone mentioned resale value being important, and yeah, if that's true for you, I definitely do not recommend my approach. The screen is covered in tons of small scratches that are only visible when it's off, but they are there, no doubt. The metal band around the outside has quite a few random small nick and scratches from drops, too.

That's why you get the Pro model. Stainless steel won't scratch. The new glass seems way tougher too. (at least versus scratches, dunno about falls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

SS is the hardest material you're likely to come in contact with day to day. It's not beyond comprehension that a SS band will be much less scratched up than a Al one after going caseless for the same amount of time. My Pro may be covered with fingerprints but does not have a single scratch on it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The new Space Black is still grey, but it's definitely darker than last year.
The band is much, much darker, more like iPhone 5. Looks great!
Light Blue and Mauve looked pretty bad in the store to me, but more power to anyone who gets one, I wish I could get away with that.
The camera wart is actually more stable since it's wider and extends basically past the middle of the device.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

101 posted:

Needs suiting. Animations are extremely clean and smooth. Works out of the box with all audio apps. Excited to see what third parties can do and to get some sports scores up there

I actually think the audio app in the island is a bit bizarre and probably just Apple reaching for day 1 functionality.
It takes up a lot of space (basically makes the island bigger than the notch ever was) and doesn't display anything useful.
Tapping the island to go to your audio app is slower than using the app switcher unless you have a 6" thumb.
Reachability doesn't move the island down either.

If the "graphic equalizer" part could be a skip button instead that would be a bit more functional.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

new lock screen is good

dude your wife is hot

American McGay posted:

Set it up as new device and just use it. Download stuff when you decide you need it. Free yourself of these binds.

This is a good scheme but it sucks with authenticators and other special edge cases.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s so loving stupid that there’s no options between 1 and 12 months. I’ll regularly search for like kid stuff my wife mentions, but a year back is way too much poo poo to store. Give me like 3 months as an option :argh:

Deleting "attachments" after 12 months would be a much better option than all messages.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Snowy posted:

I like the new lock screens but a few years ago I started using solid black wallpaper and it’s so much more legible and neat looking that it’s hard to switch.

E- I’ll probably keep using the earth or weather lock screen but black is the best under app icons

Steve was right all along.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mistermojo posted:

drat the cameras are so big the phone wont lie flat even with the official leather case

maybe they could add a little nub on the bottom for balance and for fiddling with

https://www.amazon.com.au/Scotch-SP...s%2C388&sr=8-20

You get two phone's worth for 7 bux!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

you can kinda do this with battery cases if that's your preference

It looks like that style of battery case has gone the way of the dodo.

Now they're more about the MagSafe battery pack, which has upsides and downsides.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

It depends on what it’s plugged into.

Charge-only device? Fine when locked.
Charging + data device? No charging unless unlocked.
Flaky cable or dirty charging port? Could go either way, depending on how the phone sees it. If you’re getting this on a charger, there’s a hardware issue somewhere along the way.

It’s a security thing to theoretically protect against stuff like those fake chargers that supposedly steal data/inject malware. I guess they can’t leave the power lines open without exposing the data lines, so the whole thing shuts down.

Our work laptops have some garbage security software that blocks USB mass storage and for some reason they can't charge a phone over USB-A.
The USB-C ports work fine. Go figure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

e: also I know they need to have space for 5g antennas, but bring back rounded edges. Feels better in the hand.

Mods, ban this sick filth!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I just noticed with the always-on display that the music widget will horizontally scroll the track listing "randomly" when the time updates once per minute.
I hope they polish some of these behaviours. (Or just get rid of the music widget if it's not playing anything!)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

I never had a X or a 11 but on 12, 13, 14 it's been good.

Paying via NFC is still "worse" than TouchID, simply because of the ergonomics of holding out a card to a card reader.

If you have 2FA notifications that you have to accept with biometric then it's also slightly "worse" assuming your phone is lying more or less flat on the desk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

that's why you buy an apple watch

What's the oldest model of Apple Watch that's still worth a drat?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Once again Mumble and Discord are better at this than Teams and FaceTime. (full Mute and Deafen functionality)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Dave posted:

The carriers are also working with a third party for those international services so the margins may not be as lofty as it might seem. I actually know someone that was the product owner for launching that feature with a carrier and now I wish I paid more attention to the financials.

I don't get why e.g. Vodafone isn't using it as some kid of point of differentiation.

Oh well, with eSIMs and iMessage it's slowly getting easier. Still kind of a pain.
(I feel like IOS16 is trying to get you to initiate conversations to people's iCloud email address over phone.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Not porting a number, pulling out your home country SIM and using a native country SIM for the duration of your holiday.

I don't know if things are better now but in 2019 it was a pain.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Battery Capacity % is a really weird number, 85% doesn't mean that it lasts 85% as long as a new one would. 85% is basically dead.
I would replace the battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

sourdough posted:

Is deactivating iMessage and not having sms fail a reliable thing now? I haven't paid attention to that in forever, but whenever I use an iPhone for a bit I don't use iMessage just in case.

iMessage deactivation was always reliable.
The problem was that people wouldn't deactivate iMessage, just take out their SIM and chuck the iPhone in a drawer or whatever. Other iPhone users would send a message to that number and it would go via iMessage, so they wouldn't get it.

Nowadays there's a website to deactivate iMessage for a phone number, and also if you change your phone number it will deregister after 28 days or 30 days or something like that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

Growing up on MacAddict Forums, rip/mix/burn, and the early days of the iTunes Music Store with 99¢ per track!; albums were always this very boomer concept to me.

I don't think I've ever listened to an album start to finish except for Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I just worked out the setting for Filter Unknown Senders in Messages.
Great!
Now why doesn't the red notification bubble respect the setting!!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WarMECH posted:

Settings > Messages > Notifications > Customize Notifications > Allow Notifications (Unknown Senders toggle on/off)

Thanks very much for this, but I don't think this is quite what I want.
When a message comes in, I want the notification (especially since I can silence conversations.)
I can swipe it off the lock screen but it's still "unread" and there's still a red bubble over the app icon.

I think this setting will stop the notifications but keep the red bubble with the unread count?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Thanks very much for this, but I don't think this is quite what I want.
When a message comes in, I want the notification (especially since I can silence conversations.)
I can swipe it off the lock screen but it's still "unread" and there's still a red bubble over the app icon.

I think this setting will stop the notifications but keep the red bubble with the unread count?

The setting does remove unknown senders unread count from the red bubble, which is great.
However it obviously also stops notifications for them, which is sub-optimal for delivery notifications, 2FA codes, and other junk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They should include Satellite SOS for free as part of Apple Fitness +

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Or the cool product flash cards, which unfortunately were out of stock when I visited.

iMac!
Right
Power Mac G4! Right
Mac II! WRONG! It's actually a Mac IIx.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I haven't had any scratches on the SS bands of iPhones Pro from going caseless. I don't carry keys in the same pocket though.

If you're buying second hand I would go for a 13 Pro Max (assuming that you can't get a 14 Pro Max second hand just yet.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I feel like my battery life is worse on my 14 Pro Max than it was on my 12 PM too. Widgets and Home Screen (thanks, autocapitalize) are only at 2% of battery, so if that can be believed it’s something else. AO display obviously costs something, but I’m not sure if that’s it.

I definitely find the battery on the 14 Pro to be worse than the 13 Pro.
Could just be the AOD.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Can someone explain to me the easiest way to transfer the photos from my mom's phone to either my Apple device or cloud? She died, and i want to preserve them if possible.

My condolences.
Probably the easiest option is to plug the phone into a computer with "Keep Originals" setting turned on.
Copy everything to the computer. If it's a PC you probably can't actually look at the photos (they will be HEIC) but at least you have another copy of everything.

Then to get them into your iCloud, you can upload them through iCloud Photos web interface.

If you don't have access to a computer at all, you can probably do some fuckery with Shared Photo Libraries.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LTE is going to be around for a long time yet, there's simply too much using it. Plus plenty of new devices for sale right now that don't have 5G.

(I think the original ref was a throwaway joke about using an iPhone 6 in 2022)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

American McGay posted:

5/5S/SE is by far the coolest design. I just picked the SE because I think the Space Gray or whatever is slightly more stark looking than the Midnight of the 5.

It's Space Black.
(and that's actually why I'd get the 5)

Hdip posted:

My iPhone X works fine when I plug headphones into the lightning port. It will not charge when I plug any of the cords I have into the lightning port. Is the port dead?

It likely just has some lint or other crap in it that is blocking the power pin but not the audio pin.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Goddammit Apple, I had to search for "poncle" because "Vampire Survivors" didn't return the result I wanted!

Edit: Holy poo poo An Honest To Goodness Quit Button!
I haven't seen an app with that since the 3GS days.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yes, proper USB-C PD charging will be way faster, especially between 20%-80%.

Here's a random chart I found:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

actionjackson posted:

is charging speed using the m2 air usb-c (with m2 plugged in) pretty similar to using a usb-c wall adapter? i'm guessing so as there's very little difference once you get to 20W+ according to that graph

Couldn't find any definitive stats on this one.
If you go into System Profiler while charging the phone from the Mac it might tell you. Or try Coconut Battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

actionjackson posted:

one of the biggest problems with only being able to get apps from the apple store (besides it being, you know, a monopoly) is that you can't access apps that are beneficial to users, but detrimental to apple, because it's not in apple's self-interest to have them sold (timestamped link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAMTQZmvPE&t=785s

Is it ironic that the youtuber has not made this video available in my country?

(Although I have to agree that there's some really odd apps that are banned. Why are torrent apps banned? Why is Kodi banned when Plex is allowed? Why does Apple care if people break their phones throwing them into the air as high as they can?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'd like to see the policy that if it's listed in the App Store, it has to have feature-parity with the sideload version.
Maybe there's too many edge cases for this to work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rick posted:

I'll be surprised if we are still using dynamic island like 4 years from now but it's pretty cool now for sure.

It definitely smells like the new 3D Touch, perhaps even worse since it's gated to iPhones Pro.

VVV you didn't really miss much considering that the feature was only released this week, after all the games (but one) had been finished.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 16, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's a blue moon; time to sync the old carphone!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Anyone have any decent and clean solutions for charging a bunch of random devices?

There are cables on ebay that have three heads on various combinations. Slow charge only, but fine for overnight.
This really only helps with the tangling, if you're pushing 10 devices to charge with different form factors and plugs then there's no silver bullet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ugh with one of the last couple updates, using Siri to control HomeKit stuff has gotten even more tedious.

We have outdoor Halloween/Christmas decorations on a Meross smart switch. It’s named “Jack the Pumpkin King” because my son is obsessed with him.

“Turn on jack the pumpkin king” now results in Siri trying to play a song called exactly that.

“Turn jack the pumpkin king on” works.

It’s like that for a couple of my accessories as well and is super annoying to try to remember the exact phrasing needed for Siri to bless me with proper functionality.

This definitely sucks, but if you have something specific and frequent like your decorations then create a siri shortcut specifically for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

14 Pro Owners: How is the Dynamic Island? Meaningful UI improvement? Just kinda cool? Annoying?

I think it's a cool idea, but the 99 times out of 100 that I see it, it's just a stupid podcast cover art on the left and a meaningless VU meter on the right.
For playing music or podcasts it doesn't actually serve any function except as a quick-app-change if you tap on it, and it makes the notch bigger than the 13.
It's also slightly buggy, for example if you switch apps a lot sometimes it will get confused and stop showing you what was in the Island previously.

In conclusion, Dynamic Island is a land of contrasts.