Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After a lifetime of Android phones, I'm picking up my first iPhone this weekend with a 14 Pro Max.

How are those official iPhone leather cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's in the forest

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm wary of always on lock screen. They introduced that feature with the Galaxy S8 and I could see burn in after a few months. I know display tech has changed a lot since then but still.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Had to go back to the Apple Store today to get a smaller band for my watch. I thought I needed a larger one, but it ended up too big. I got there early and waited in the line before the store opened and this boomer behind me started talking to me. He needed a new charger cable. He then told me about how his wife forgot her phone on vacation a couple years ago and got his accounts compromised. As soon as he mentioned that Brave browser, I just knew it would only be a matter of time until he mentioned Hilary's emails. Took like five minutes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"You know you'll have to ditch all of this if you ever go on the run."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is anyone concerned about burn in with the Always On display? Samsung introduced the feature with the Galaxy S8 and I used it and could see burn in from the clock and to my shame the Awful app borders. But that was a few years ago, display tech improves pretty fast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How do I get my phone to stop nagging me with this message?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My order went pretty smoothly.

Does Apple Store open early on launch days? My window is 8am on the 22nd but the mall doesn’t open until 10am.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any thoughts on D-Brand cases? I'm gonna check out the new weave or whatever they call it in store but I was thinking D-Brand if I didn't like it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Broke: Cupertino Time
Woke: Victorville Film Time (VFT)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do Apple Stores in the mall open prior to mall hours on phone launch day? My pick up time is 8am tomorrow, the mall opens at 10am. I'm sure there's going to be a bigass line either way, I don't expect to waltz in at 8 and walk out at 8:05.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was one of the first people there and everything went pretty smoothly. I was surprised that they were still taking orders that day. I would have gone for the Natural Titanium if I saw it in person first but I ordered a white, which is fine.

I kinda wish they waited to release the iOS update today so that the phone upgrade felt more substantial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hot take but the iPhone should be able to detect when you’re in public and disable speakerphone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I learned in a pre-smartphone world that you don’t want to set your ringtone to a song you like because you will learn to no longer like the song.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I simply won’t use all my brute strength to crush my phone in my hands.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard that the iPhone 15 was thermal throttling Genshin Impact after a few minutes, which sounds like a feature to me. :11tea:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

njsykora posted:

I will say it’s not but also I’m running at sane settings (medium 60fps) for battery life reasons and not trying to flex to YouTube about running max settings.

I was making a joke that Apple was intentionally discouraging people from playing it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heating is going to be an issue for their upcoming AAA games with ray tracing that they heavily touted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just spent the $50 and had them do it at the Apple Store. The got a little machine they stick the phone into that aligns the screen protector perfectly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Consumer Reports debunks the iPhone 15 Pro Max durability videos with their own tests.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics-computers/cell-phones/iphone-15-pro-max-passes-drop-test-a9052597453/

quote:

Viral videos from online reviewers have raised consumer concerns about the structural integrity of Apple’s new iPhone 15 Pro Max, but Consumer Reports testing shows that the company’s top-of-the-line phone stands up to repeated drops just as well as previous iPhones and top-line phones from other companies. It also successfully resisted 110 pounds of pressure in a bending test.

We measured the force using a high-precision Instron compression test machine, applying pressure in the center of the device and along the length of the phone to see whether that might cause the glass on the back to break.

The phone emerged with no cracks.

“That shows it can take plenty of force,” says Maria Rerecich, senior director of product testing at CR. “There is some flex in the phone that recovers when the force is released.”

A separate iPhone 15 Pro Max emerged with only minor scratches after 100 drops in our punishing tumbler, which is lined top and bottom with stone to simulate waist-high falls onto a concrete surface. All phones in CR’s ratings undergo this test. We remove the device after 50 drops to check for damage, then submit it to 50 more drops. We’re not trying to be cruel. We’re simply ensuring that each phone is exposed to impacts at a wide range of angles, including the corners and edges.

Consumer Reports purchased both phones used in these tests at normal retail outlets.

The results fit with our real-world experience in using the phone. While taking photos for another article, we accidentally let an iPhone 15 Pro Max tumble onto rocky ground—twice. It survived without a scratch.

What we found in our labs contrasts with a series of videos from online reviewers that showed the glass breaking in improvised drop and bending scenarios, at times resulting in a web of cracks across the back of the phone.

Claims that a new iPhone is overly delicate may sound familiar. Back in 2014, the just-released iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were branded with the unfortunate Twitter hashtag #bendgate after people started posting photos and videos of damaged phones. Using the very same Instron machine we employed today, CR determined that both phones withstood what we considered to be a reasonable amount of force. (Of course, if you’re determined to break your phone—iPhone or otherwise—you can do it.)

Consumer Reports reached out to Apple with our findings, but the company did not respond with a comment.

Both the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max feature a new titanium design. “The Pro lineup is built to last,” the company says, “combining the strength of titanium with the toughest back glass in a smartphone and the industry-leading Ceramic Shield on the front.”

If the rear glass on your iPhone 15 Pro does break, it should be cheaper to fix than last year’s top iPhone. On the 15 Pro Max, the repair will cost $199. For the iPhone 15 Pro it’s $169. By contrast, the price to restore the back glass on an iPhone 14 Pro Max is $549 and for an iPhone 14 Pro it’s $499.

Our testing of the iPhone 15 Pro Max isn’t done yet. We’re still conducting our rain and water-resistance tests, along with tests of camera quality, battery life, and other factors. We hope to have final results on all four iPhone 15 models to share soon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I spent a week with a naked iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have a habit of laying down with the phone standing on my stomach while scrolling with my right index finger from the top down. When doing this with the naked phone, I’d constantly accidentally hit the very top of the phone with another part of my hand, causing it to scroll back to the top. I didn’t have this issue with the iPhone 14 Pro Max since I used a case with it the entire time. My DBrand Grip case came in last night and that issue is finally over.

Anyway, the case is pretty good so far. The grippy edges feel fantastic. I like them a lot.

I was a little worried at first because the sleep/wake button didn’t seem to make contact and wasn’t working at first, but I think it just needed some breaking in because it works fine now.

My biggest concern for now is the MagSafe. It doesn’t feel as strong and snappy as the naked phone, or as my memories of the iPhone 14 with the official Apple leather case. It still works well, but the leather wallet is a little more slippery than on the naked phone, where it does a better job locking into place. The big test for me was my MagSafe car mount. I’ve just driven to the gym and back and it didn’t fall off or seem like it was going to. The 14 only fell off the car mount once in the year I used it (and I think it was the result of a weird turn), I was really happy with that. If the 15 in the Grip case falls off while I’m doing more substantial driving, then I’ll consider the weaker magnets a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can I set up to share my iTunes movies/TV shows to family without giving them access to my other subscriptions/cloud/payment? I found the Family Share invite but it looks like it's going to invite them to everything.