Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I did AT lessons for, I don't know, several months in McLean VA in 2010 or so, to try to reduce stress on some muscles that were causing a tendonitis called "hyoid syndrome".

It didn't do too much for that but it did, slightly but permanently alter the way I think about how I hold my body in space, posture, alignment.

The woman who gave the lessons was very nice and apparantly had done well in life because she had a lovely house in McLean (if you can stand McLean, I can't) and also she had 2 cats and a small dog all of whom only ate grass-fed raw meat. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

a.p. dent posted:

this has been my experience as well. guitar playing is such a deep, ingrained habit for me that it's one of the last to see improvement. meanwhile, my posture and balance during other activities that i don't do often (like stacking wood) is greatly improved.

TMI but one of the first things I noticed a place where I would think about this a lot was sitting down and standing up from the toilet

I really need to get back in the habit, my typing movement and posture is atrocious

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

I did monthly private AT lessons for 2 years and it was incredible. Permanently changed my relationship with my body, movement, and Being.

I honestly think this stuff could be life changing for most people. Musicians, computr janitors like me, people who use hand tools for a living --- RSI is the common thread in injuries, and RSI can be greatly mitigated through careful and varied and mindful movement.

It's too bad schools are basically a capitalism mill. I do some loving kindness stuff, breath meditation and yoga postures with our older kid most mornings but I am barely qualified to lead that and in no way qualified to do more than think about AT.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

a.p. dent posted:

i feel strongly about this. i came into movement stuff because i'm a computer person, have had horrible posture all my life and along with that came horrible shoulder pain at age 26. there's no reason we should all have to live with that, and it's frustrating that it's talked about that way: i just "have a bad back", "it's what happens when you get old / sit all day at the computer", all that. i don't accept it!

hell ya person, with you 100%. I think of RSI, back injuries, etc as the computer toucher equivilent of the way that construction workers often end up with super hosed joints. Computer work isn't nearly as physically demanding but it forces the same amount of basically unnatural and repetitive use of your body.

I have a loving $1500 chair and a desk that moves up and down and I try to never be in the same position for more than about 5 minutes. My fingers have started to trigger up like a MFer though, it's snap crackle pop when I wiggle them. I have fantasies of injecting castor oil into the knuckles.

as far as "get old" my mom is 78 and yea it could go the other way hard any day but she made her career on her feet teaching science to little kids, her biggest hobby for years has been long walks in the woods and despite a hip replacement a year ago she seems more active and in less pain than like, I dunno, 75% of people her age. She's taken ergonomics seriously since before I knew it was a word, and has done most of her office work at home kneeling on a soft carpet or kneeling chair in front of a low desk since the late 80s.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 9, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

fortunately joint crepitus in and of itself hasn't been established as a risk factor for arthritis or any other musculoskeletal illness, despite what chiropractors may claim. can definitely be annoying though

interestingly the chiro I have seen here (yes, I have done that) has parroted the same line: if cracking isn't painful then it's just annoying, and even if it's painful, chiropractic manipulation may not actually help.

This is Vermont where basically not-that-brokebrained doctors will commonly suggest chiros but also it seems like the chiros are more likely to be somewhat science based. Despite having been referred by an MD this guy was unwilling to touch me without getting xrays to rule out safety concerns or things that need to be addressed otherwise, and I did feel that my specific complaints were somewhat relieved for a period of time after I'd seen him a few times. Still think the industry is a scam that can be dangerous if you get into c-spine stuff, but, there's people out there with that as their credential who do good work, apparently.