Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I want to know about Alexander Technique as it applies to fingerstyle guitar! Specifically, I have a problem when playing electric guitar without a pick, because muting the open strings is quite demanding on my technique!

Sometimes my right hand will feel cramped playing electric, because trying to keep everything muted on electric creates tension. Acoustic is fine, because you can barely hear the sympathetic resonance, and when you do hear it, it sounds good, so I don't have to mute as strictly. Do you have any insights that could help with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

lots of stuff to try out

thanks for your thoughtful reply

a.p. dent posted:

this has been my experience as well. guitar playing is such a deep, ingrained habit for me that it's one of the last to see improvement. meanwhile, my posture and balance during other activities that i don't do often (like stacking wood) is greatly improved.

What do the Alexander black-belts saying to focus on when stacking wood? Are you squaring up to it before trying to lift, getting your feet under it?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

ha, i didn't get any formal advice on it - this was more about noticing and relaxing the arm & wrist muscles i wasn't using instead of tensing my entire body the whole time

One thing I think I'm picking up on is: there are lots of small movements that make a big difference to balance and structure, but most people never do them because you wouldn't think to try unless prompted.

What do they have to say about core muscle engagement and breathing?