Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Hello there! You probably know me as “that one goon with the cancer”, or you don’t know me (but now you do, sucker!)

I have unfortunately lost my job, by extension my health insurance, and thus my access to chemotherapy. This happened on Sept 8, and I’ve had a few days to realize I will not be able to dig my way out of the hole I’m in as a result of just, honestly, a series of unfortunate events with the American Healthcare System at the center.

Cancer will kill me. I have quietly accepted this. I suppose I was ultimately going to post a banme one day but an upsetting pm sort of tipped me over my limit this morning and I think it’s time.

For the, uh, banme. I’m not dying without a fight dang it.

Anyways! I wanted to say it’s been a lovely 11 years with you all and I will miss the dumb jokes and the memes and the Chinese cooking thread so much. I think goons collectively are deep down good people, no matter how grumpy they act. There’s always going to be assholes but for the majority of it, I will have wonderful memories of goony antics.

I know this isn’t C-SPAM but support Medicare For All if you’re a US goon. If something in your body feels weird please go get it checked out and don’t stop pushing until you get an answer, before it goes stage four. Be good to one another.

I plan to spend the rest of my time on this lovely earth with my cats and my wife, rather than doomscrolling. I think it’s the best decision for my frayed mental health.

So, um, yeah! If a mod could just ban me? I have no idea how the etiquette for this works lmao. Feel free to give me some ridiculous reason for the ban, like I personally started WW5 or something.

Peace :love:

PS: please enjoy this silly picture of my enormous cat communing with the ceiling demons. I hope it brightens your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
That's a good cat

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thats a bummer, im sorry my friend

Have you considered flying to a friendlier country and overstaying your visa and getting healthcare there

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Didn't this already happen, what kind of absolute motherfucker is PMing you upsetting bullshit?

Name and shame, let's mob justice em.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I remember you from when you finally found a place to sleep. I wish you could sleep easily. Rest as well as you can, friend. You’re always in my memory when my mind goes to dark places that it’s always possible to push on one more day. Much love to you and yours and thanks for all the kitties and lizards.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

gently caress the American health care system, and gently caress cancer; cancer sucks.

Goons are good people. You are an extremely good person, too, 50s girl groupon :) Your cats and wife are needing you more than ever right now. Rest easy.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Didn't this already happen, what kind of absolute motherfucker is PMing you upsetting bullshit?

it was a link to your posts unfortunately

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
how the gently caress have you been here since 2010 and not know how to autoban

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Thank you for the cat pics :3:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Tell us who harassed you so we can infect them with cancer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

50s girl groupon posted:

Hello there! You probably know me as “that one goon with the cancer”, or you don’t know me (but now you do, sucker!)

I have unfortunately lost my job, by extension my health insurance, and thus my access to chemotherapy. This happened on Sept 8, and I’ve had a few days to realize I will not be able to dig my way out of the hole I’m in as a result of just, honestly, a series of unfortunate events with the American Healthcare System at the center.

Cancer will kill me. I have quietly accepted this. I suppose I was ultimately going to post a banme one day but an upsetting pm sort of tipped me over my limit this morning and I think it’s time.

Anyways! I wanted to say it’s been a lovely 11 years with you all and I will miss the dumb jokes and the memes and the Chinese cooking thread so much. I think goons collectively are deep down good people, no matter how grumpy they act. There’s always going to be assholes but for the majority of it, I will have wonderful memories of goony antics.

I know this isn’t C-SPAM but support Medicare For All if you’re a US goon. If something in your body feels weird please go get it checked out and don’t stop pushing until you get an answer, before it goes stage four. Be good to one another.

I plan to spend the rest of my time on this lovely earth with my cats and my wife, rather than doomscrolling. I think it’s the best decision for my frayed mental health.

So, um, yeah! If a mod could just ban me? I have no idea how the etiquette for this works lmao. Feel free to give me some ridiculous reason for the ban, like I personally started WW5 or something.

PS: please enjoy this silly picture of my enormous cat communing with the ceiling demons. I hope it brightens your day.

Peace be with you, chief. I'm real sorry.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Twigand Berries posted:

lol

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Twigand Berries posted:

:captainpop:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

Turn on monitur herrhhhh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Twigand Berries posted:

lol

rip goon, best of luck fighting this

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

50s girl groupon posted:

I love you, duder. Thank you for being one of the best friends I'll ever have.

And that Goon who is harassing you better not ever cross my path.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

edit: welp, never mind.

Repeating myself from the last thread but if anyone reading this has connections to a charitable cancer foundation, or the Florida medicaid system please help 50s gg out.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 16, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Later, bro.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:love:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
rest in peace beautiful goon. i dont know you but already miss you

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I wish you the best, op. Have a nice time with your family. Also, your cat might be tripping. You should have a talk with it about drug abuse

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I hope things change for you and you beat this.

But if not good luck in the afterlife. If you get banned on SA you end up in hell.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And that Goon who is harassing you better not ever cross my path.

It wasn’t harassing. It was just simply more than my failing mental health could handle and it pushed me to the decision to leave. Please be good to each other.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Have you considered just telling Medicaid your separated from your wife and have no income. I mean you could actually seperate and then apply for medicaid and they wouldn't count your income.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2022

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I understand on that case.

You're always free to text me, man. Take care of yourself.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What I actually hope is that you find some sort of miraculous way to pull through all this. The American healthcare system seems pretty determined that it wants you dead though so instead:

I hope you find peace and comfort, free from pain, with your wife and cats in your remaining time.

I also hope if I ever find myself in similar circumstances that I have even a fraction of the composure and willpower that you've demonstrated in your posts in the various threads about this situation cause goddamn.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Hollismason posted:

Have you considered just telling Medicaid your separated from your wife and have no income. I mean you could actually seperate and then apply for medicaid and they wouldn't count your income.

America: the place where you have to commit fraud to get health care

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I’m still rooting for you, 50sGG. Even if we no longer see you here, please know that your presence here has been cherished and inspirational.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Dixville posted:

america is so hosed up it's nearly beyond belief

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dixville posted:

America: Also the place where you have to beg strangers for money to pay for medical bills.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Health insurance by GFM has got to be the most enormous red flag of red flags that signal the gross inadequacy of American health care. I'm preaching to the choir on these forums, but please know dear reader that the rest of the developed world look at your United States wondering what the gently caress is wrong with your country, and we're crying over people like 50's girl groupon.

It's tyool 2022 for gently caress sakes.

I'm still praying for a miracle, girl. You're one of the best of us. :love:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

sorry to hear. this is why we shouldnt be able to dm. we gotta put it all on the table.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

america is so hosed up it's nearly beyond belief

i dont get it, are you saying making money is hosed up?

i hope you pull through against the odds op.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Admin edit: post removed

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SilvergunSuperman posted:

For real, forward that poo poo to an admin. There's an email address you can use to send it to every forums admin at once now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This thread is frozen until Jeffrey has a chance to post something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
:siren: I will say first and foremost I am not even remotely calling into question whether or not poster 50s Girl Groupon had cancer. They clearly did and my investigation demonstrates that they really were in the hospital while posting in their PMF thread. However, there are some inconsistencies with some of their 2022 posts that I hoped to verify with them privately. Unfortunately, they decided to tell people and take this public, so I will post what I know here. :siren:

The History:

This all starts 50s girl groupon posted a thread in PMF about being in COVID quarantine on March 11, 2020 here. Their first page is a pretty regular COVID quarantine diary from that time but after exactly one page of posts, their first post at the top of page 2 (made April 2) saying that they are in the hospital with stage 4 cancer (later be revealed to be Hodgkins Lymphoma) and flat broke. They intermittently post health updates and rants against the US healthcare system. They eventually end up with 14 pages of posts in this thread, the last ones happening in overlap with the start of their GoFundMe thread in GBS, which began December 9, 2021.

Which brings us up to how that thread came to be. A former GBS mod was contacted via PM by 50s girl groupon requesting official permission to post a fundraiser thread for their cancer treatments. This was posted in the mod forum on December 9, 2021:

quote:

Just received this request via PM. I figured it's fine to let them go ahead and make this thread, but wanted to post it here first just in case:

quote:

50s girl groupon wrote on Dec 9, 2021 17:07:
Hi there! I have a PMF page where I talk about struggling with the horrors of american healthcare and how much crippling debt I’m in, and I currently have a gofundme here https://gofund.me/e1f045f7 that is halfway funded and I desperately need the help or I’ll have to choose between being treated or losing my home. I was wondering if it would be okay to post a summary of my PMF thread about my battle with cancers these last two years and my GFM so I don’t lost lose everything including possibly my life?

I appreciate the consideration in advance and if there’s anything else you need from me please let me know.

Is this okay with everyone?

There was not much discussion of this but they were given the go-ahead, and the thread goes live very shortly thereafter. It includes "Mod Approved" in the title, is stickied for quite a long time, and eventually raises over $30,000. The posts in the thread detail their struggles with maintaining health insurance while not being able to work, get disability, not being able to pay bills and rent, basically what would be expected from someone who is dealing with ongoing major health issues.

Things take a turn when they indicate they are in the hospital on June 8th and June 9th. They also make reference to an upcoming hospital stay on June 16th. This is the post that asks for $2k to be able to have lung surgery when they don't have rent money. They then post again here on July 7, 2022 at 6:48 PM about an upcoming surgery, saying that they are on an IV of valium which heavily suggests they are in the hospital at that time. They make several more posts claiming to be from the hospital before a post on July 31, 2022 saying they are finally home. They make one more post from home, then post on August 16 indicating they are back in the hospital. They seem to be back out again in a post on August 19, and they are again asking for more money between then and now.

No one on the mod or admin team heard anything bad about this thread, though we had already been discussing how to handle requests for fundraisers in the future, as we noticed that their thread was still going and we had been telling other people they couldn't have the same thing. We had already been planning to close up 50s girl groupon's thread on the grounds of fairness to the other people who didn't get their own thread, let alone months of sticky in our most trafficked subforum. Then we got a bombshell of a PM - they said they were a doctor who had donated to the GFM but now there was a discrepancy - they then linked to their twitter account, specifically to posts made claiming to be at home while they had indicated on here that they were in the hospital. It was self-evident that the twitter account was really them, and sure enough, there were tweets seemed inconsistent with them being in the hospital during times in which they specifically indicated they were in their GFM thread.

The posting patterns observed in the PM were accurate and all the timestamps matched up and the social media accounts referenced are theirs. 50s girl groupon had previously been quite public about sharing everything they were going through on social media, we saw lots of hospital selfies, for example. But the last time they mention cancer on their social media and the last time their partner mentions their cancer on social media is a post in June of 2021 where they got a tattoo for a birthday present that simultaneously celebrates them beating cancer. No posts after that reference anything beyond FFXIV, doing drawings for commissions, and other life stuff. They had previously posted their GFM several times on various social media sites. It's an odd pattern but they wouldn't be the first person to decide to stop posting medical stuff, though that they'd go to the forums and ask for money but not social media is very unusual.

Their twitter was recently made private but I took screenshots. Here are the relevant bits. I am conflicted in how much to redact here, but ultimately, I don't want to be posting someone's pictures of themselves or twitter account if they haven't shared it here.

Confirming this is their twitter - this linked to a gofundme that was also linked here:

This one contained a selfie and was posted on a day that they also indicated that they were still in the hospital. I blanked the picture but this is the most damning tweet:

This one contains a picture taken on a day where they imply they are in the hospital, but is clearly taken from a couch:

This one contains a link to a twitch stream they were running on a day when they implied they were in the hospital:

However, the most serious part of what I found was done with an IP address analysis of all their posts. For those unfamiliar, every time someone goes online, the device whether phone or computer, has a unique set of either 4 or 6 numbers assigned to it, each a number between 0 and 255, called an IP address. So an IP address looks like 127.0.0.1 or something similar. Depending on the internet provider, these numbers can vary every time someone goes online or remain unchanged for years. We looked at the IP addresses for 50s girl groupon's logins and for the individual posts. When analyzing their posts in the initial PMF thread, every time they are in the hospital, their IP address changes accordingly, and while we cannot say that the IP addresses they used are definitely a hospital, they are consistent with being from a hospital. The posts where they say they are home have an IP address that is consistent as well. In fact, their home IP address is so consistent it does not seem to have changed since 2018.

This is where things get really tough. On June 8th, 2022 they indicate that they just moved out of the ICU. They indicate that they are still there on June 9th, and implies as much again on june 16th. However, the IP addresses on these posts and indeed, all of their other 2022 posts claiming to be from a hospital, are from a residential IP address that they have used since 2018. As much as this looks like a smoking gun, it has been pointed out that, if between their posts in the PMF thread and June 8th, they had installed a VPN on their phone to access their home network, it would make this pattern of IP addresses appear. It was further pointed out that some routers have this available to non-technical users with basically an app and a few clicks. Like the timing of social media posts, the curious lack of social media posts about their recent health troubles, it's really odd but has possible explanations.

This is not rock-solid proof that something is amiss. However, given the amount of money that had been donated to them, and the stickied status of the thread, I felt I owed it to the people who donated to them to, at the very least, seek more information. This is why I sought clarification - I very much believe they had cancer and thus I wanted to handle this privately.

I sent them the following PM this morning, in hopes that they could explain what was going on with the post IP addresses. I left out the twitter stuff because I felt the IP evidence was more damning and more direct.

quote:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS wrote on Sep 15, 2022 7:27 AM:
Rowan,

I have received a serious allegation regarding your GoFundMe, which you have promoted on the forums, and I have a duty to the people who donated to you and who have recurring donations set up to you to ensure that you are not collecting donations under false pretenses.

In reviewing what is alleged, I examined server logs of your IP addresses from when you were posting in your Post My Favorites thread and when you were posting in your GBS thread. When you said you were at home and when you said you were in the hospital, the IP addresses in your PMF thread displayed a clear pattern, and we were able to correlate the IP addresses of the hospital IPs to those assigned to ISPs that service hospitals, and correlate the ISPs from your home posts to residential ISPs.

However, when looking at the IPs from your posts in July and August, when you claimed you were in the hospital, they display the same IP address as the posts you made when you claimed to be home. In fact, your home IP address has remained static for several years. In at least one of these posts, you claimed to have a breathing tube down your throat but the IP address is the same one where you post in 2019 about the Sawbones podcast.

As I consider what to do with this information, I want to get your side of the story. Can you explain yourself?

They responded with solid evidence that they were in the hospital in 2021, but nothing from this year. I had hoped to continue communicating with them, but I had to get some sleep, and they posted this thread in the intervening time, and made their twitter private. Despite my desire to handle this with them directly, I feel like that is the point in which I must go public with what I know.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Thank you for the transparency, Jeffrey.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think there's been enough cases of goons scamming people here under the pretense of "I need money or I'm going to die or be homeless" that any sort of asking for money should be against the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well if they want a ban, and it looks like they might deserve a ban, who are we to get in the way?