Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nothing looks wet underwater idiot

Your mom surely did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

I agree I go overboard a lot but this is a Disney movie and we should always question Disney's true motives because they have a global influence on pop culture.

you claim to be super woke but here you are spinning the casting of a black woman as some kind of sinister thing and it seems very self-defeating

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

you claim to be super woke but here you are spinning the casting of a black woman as some kind of sinister thing and it seems very self-defeating

He thinks everything is a plot of the obstreperous honky, when it reality it’s only about 2/3rds of the time.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Mermaids and humans team up to defend earth from aquatic alien space ships in Disney's Terror from the Deep

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

obstreperous honky

Didn't know this word before today so thanks for that and obstreperous honkey would be a pretty good username

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I saw someone unironically compare casting a black woman as Ariel to casting a white man as Martin Luther King. :doh:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw someone unironically compare casting a black woman as Ariel to casting a white man as Martin Luther King. :doh:

Lmfao.

He's dead but cast him using AI bullshit Gilbert Godfrey as MLK

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Lmfao.

:dudsmile:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Lmfao.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

maybe chuds will start their own disney studio akin to pureflix. They could call it Purebloodsney and all the imaginary cartoon people will reassure them that they are culturally relevant and totally correct all the time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

theyll call it disnep

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

beep by grandpa posted:

not sure why nobody here is saying it but once again WOKE disney bends to the WOKE CROWD and RUINED this film taking away Ariel's signature clam-shell top and instead they put the beautiful actress in a regular BATHING SUIT top??

how am I supposed to jack off to this???????

People need to wake up and realize whats happening. Woke mobs are trying to rewrite our most cherished stories! WAKE UP people!! It's happening all around you!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

why not do a 100% CG cash grab if your live action cash grab is 98% CG anyway?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

people very upset about the mermaid of color in this movie lol

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Didn't know this word before today so thanks for that and obstreperous honkey would be a pretty good username

I freely admit I'm nowhere near smart enough to use that word.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Worf posted:

Are that many people upset with the mermaid of color in this movie or are the voices of a small group of upset people being amplified as a cynical form of marketing like they did back with that ghostbusters remake.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mormons had some quality animation

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Salt Fish posted:

People need to wake up and realize whats happening. Woke mobs are trying to rewrite our most cherished stories! WAKE UP people!! It's happening all around you!

Wait I’m confused, if I WAKE UP won’t I then become a woke myself? I need to know which mob to join.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
she is an undersea fish woman. who cares what color her skin is? It should probably be blue or gray

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

*getting really into a michael richards esque standup routine*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
That trailer was so dark I couldn't even see poo poo but i guess no one could say "this film is too dark" to the editor without sounding like a huge racist

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Mooey Cow posted:

That trailer was so dark I couldn't even see poo poo but i guess no one could say "this film is too dark" to the editor without sounding like a huge racist

I think that is because most of the little mermaid happens underwater

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

consuming products from disney and amazon is a progressive act of solidarity, because of the weird and totally real internet people

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Mr. Sickos posted:

consuming products from disney and amazon is a progressive act of solidarity, because of the weird and totally real internet people

understood. I hate it and do it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why can't we have a dark and gritty little mermaid reboot where she drowns and eats wayward sailors

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Funny coincidence, the actress does have a touch of the Innsmouth Look.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

you talking about Dagon? Maybe we got a thread going here

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why can't we have a dark and gritty little mermaid reboot where she drowns and eats wayward sailors

Why not just do the actual story where she was potentially saved by her sisters selling poo poo to the witch and giving Ariel a dagger to kill the prince and drip his blood on her

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Backwards mermaid where a prince undergoes a grueling transformation into a deep one so he can be together with that octopus lady from Dagon

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Hans Christian Andersen posted:

"Your lovely form," the witch told her, "your gliding movements, and your eloquent eyes. With these you can easily enchant a human heart. Well, have you lost your courage? Stick out your little tongue and I shall cut it off. I'll have my price, and you shall have the potent draught."

"Go ahead," said the little mermaid.

The witch hung her caldron over the flames, to brew the draught. "Cleanliness is a good thing," she said, as she tied her snakes in a knot and scoured out the pot with them. Then she pricked herself in the chest and let her black blood splash into the caldron. Steam swirled up from it, in such ghastly shapes that anyone would have been terrified by them. The witch constantly threw new ingredients into the caldron, and it started to boil with a sound like that of a crocodile shedding tears. When the draught was ready at last, it looked as clear as the purest water.

"There's your draught," said the witch. And she cut off the tongue of the little mermaid, who now was dumb and could neither sing nor talk.

Hans Christian Andersen posted:

The little mermaid parted the purple curtains of the tent and saw the beautiful bride asleep with her head on the Prince's breast. The mermaid bent down and kissed his shapely forehead. She looked at the sky, fast reddening for the break of day. She looked at the sharp knife and again turned her eyes toward the Prince, who in his sleep murmured the name of his bride. His thoughts were all for her, and the knife blade trembled in the mermaid's hand. But then she flung it from her, far out over the waves. Where it fell the waves were red, as if bubbles of blood seethed in the water. With eyes already glazing she looked once more at the Prince, hurled herself over the bulwarks into the sea, and felt her body dissolve in foam.

just lol that people are mad over some absolutely superficial details of what is almost certainly going to be a shot for shot remake of the colorful but insipidly, cloyingly, disneyfied interpretation of the cliff notes version of grimdark Andersen's original scarytale to frighten disappointing children to sleep.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Animal-Mother posted:

Her eyes look kinda far apart so you're right.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The original isn't grimdark, it ends with the mermaid becoming a spirit that will eventually get a soul and go to heaven.

On the other hand notorious weirdo Andersen also thought the Little Match Girl was a heartwarming tale of a poor girl going to heaven and not the most depressing thing you'll ever read so there's that

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How "little" is this mermaid for their age compared to the others?

More of an average mermaid, I imagine.

Child Trebuchet fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 18, 2022

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
During WW2 the Deutsche (German) Kriegsmarine (war navy) tried to train loreleis (german mermaids) to carry unterseesprengkörper (bombs) and attach them to allied naval vessels (kriegsschiffe), but the project failed as the mermaids either put the bombs somewhere else or tried to bounce them on their nose like seals.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

This could work as a YA thing.

Love interest is a hot black slave guy she rescues from a Nazi boat and they team up?

Bad guy is Hitler and they drown him in the end, pulling him down by his remaining ball.

I don't think they should eat the Nazis though. Just like drown a ton of them.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The Butcher posted:

Love interest is a hot black slave guy she rescues from a Nazi boat and they team up?

Bad guy is Hitler and they drown him in the end, pulling him down by his remaining ball.

This would never get made because it outright attacks white male supremacy instead of just setting the story in a world where it doesn't exist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcWHZc8s2I

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

The Butcher posted:

*Starfish Hitler

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Buttchocks posted:

*Starfish Hitler

His name is Patrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its not the mermaid that should be white its the coral