Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

its not the mermaid that should be white its the coral

no i dont care if someone else made this joke first

Yeah somebody got you on like the fourth post of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

did you not see me clearly state i i dont care read the thread dude

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What about a compromise where Ariel's left side is white skinned and her right side dark skinned? It would send a strong signal that we do want POC represented in media, but also don't want to erase white people completely. Just throwing out ideas here guys

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

The Butcher posted:

This could work as a YA thing.

Love interest is a hot black slave guy she rescues from a Nazi boat and they team up?

Bad guy is Hitler and they drown him in the end, pulling him down by his remaining ball.

I don't think they should eat the Nazis though. Just like drown a ton of them.

Goddamn liberal adaptations.

Eating people is the entire point of the source material you're working with.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Reminder that a person believing in diversity doesn't necessarily mean they also believe in equality.

Yaldabaoth fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 18, 2022

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Starfish.pdf

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
WHERE IS CRBA

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mooey Cow posted:

During WW2 the Deutsche (German) Kriegsmarine (war navy) tried to train loreleis (german mermaids) to carry unterseesprengkörper (bombs) and attach them to allied naval vessels (kriegsschiffe), but the project failed as the mermaids either put the bombs somewhere else or tried to bounce them on their nose like seals.

I have this issue of BPRD.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The reboot needs to have the monarchy of the sea overthrown and replaced with its rightful rulers, the dolphins (not the miami dolphins)

The Little Mermaid and the Big rear end Guillotine.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 18, 2022

Tebulot
Apr 25, 2007

im hip now bois

Pillbug

Buce posted:

Disney should adapt peter watts' Starfish next. It's basically about friendly mermaids, too.

Not sure if anyone replied to this but I mashed reply immediately.

You're right, Lenie splicing additional starfish limbs onto a starfish and watching it roll around is pretty Disney. As is walking around and smashing all the mirrors and lights.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just received an emergency broadcast message that they cast a black man as SpongeBob in the movie and immediately came here. White people just can't catch a break it seems.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The reboot needs to have the monarchy of the sea overthrown and replaced with its rightful rulers, the dolphins (not the miami dolphins)

The Little Mermaid and the Big rear end Guillotine.

The chuds will assume the monarchy has to be overthrown because they're black, not because monarchy is bad, and will just replace them with a king who is a perfect aryan man.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

blight rhino posted:

WHERE IS CRBA

The undersea version of Abba, Crabba.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ninjoatse.cx posted:

(not the miami dolphins)

Why not? You know, death of the author, artistic license...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wonder if awkwafeena or w/e is gonna do the black voice lmfao

Had to look up this person. Still not sure what they're known for

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

Had to look up this person. Still not sure what they're known for

A chinese actress the CCP is trying to push because they consider her "safe".

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

A chinese actress the CCP is trying to push because they consider her "safe".

she was born in long island actually op

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Why won'te Eugene Mirman make his own version of the movie and get it over with

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

she was born in long island actually op

Oof, I really messed up.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ursula looking less majestic in the reboot but I’m excited to see where they’re going with this.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

funeral home DJ posted:

Ursula looking less majestic in the reboot but I’m excited to see where they’re going with this.

I'm here for it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

GABA ghoul posted:

What about a compromise where Ariel's left side is white skinned and her right side dark skinned? It would send a strong signal that we do want POC represented in media, but also don't want to erase white people completely. Just throwing out ideas here guys

Or maybe a dark-skinned upper half and a pale-skinned lower half? :shrug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw someone unironically compare casting a black woman as Ariel to casting a white man as Martin Luther King. :doh:

I heard about that.

Chris Pratt as Martin Luther King Jr. in Disney's Marvel's I Have a Dream

guest starring Awkwafina as Anne Frank

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is redhead erasure

We demand a ginger Ariel

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GABA ghoul posted:

White people just can't catch a break it seems.

It’s really nothing personal.

White people’s market share will be decreasing in America, and Disney is just exploring other sources of income.

Disney knows POC’s money is as good as anybody’s, so they’re just sowing the seeds of brand loyalty in the next generation of consumers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

Or maybe a dark-skinned upper half and a pale-skinned lower half? :shrug:

Nah the real pro movie is to have her checker board patterned. Then have a game of chess play out oh her head while the movies going on. Then it's like a chess movie and an underwater fantasy musical. Plus depending how you stick on the pieces part of the hellriser franchise. The movie would have something for everyone!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
not much what's up with you

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Mermaids would be better if their human and fish parts were switched.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

BounceBanana posted:

Mermaids would be better if their human and fish parts were switched.

The left half is human; the right half is fish.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

It’s really nothing personal.

White people’s market share will be decreasing in America, and Disney is just exploring other sources of income.

Disney knows POC’s money is as good as anybody’s, so they’re just sowing the seeds of brand loyalty in the next generation of consumers.

If Disney was serious about making movies that appeal to women and minorities, they'd make movies about oppressed women and minorities successfully rising up and getting revenge on the people who are actually oppressing them.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

If Disney was serious about making movies that appeal to women and minorities, they'd make movies about oppressed women and minorities successfully rising up and getting revenge on the people who are actually oppressing them.

So like Star wars?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Worf posted:

So like Star wars?

Nope, Disney actually made the Empire less racist and misogynistic because they didn't want to offend white male supremacists by implying they're evil.

Yaldabaoth fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 20, 2022

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

Nope, Disney actually made the Empire less racist and misogynistic because they didn't want to offend white male supremacists by implying they're evil.

You don't seem well

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

*said very jorp-ishly*

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Disney is making the best and most talked about movies of all time still and it's is crazy!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Tebulot posted:

Not sure if anyone replied to this but I mashed reply immediately.

You're right, Lenie splicing additional starfish limbs onto a starfish and watching it roll around is pretty Disney. As is walking around and smashing all the mirrors and lights.

:hmmyes:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The only good Disney of the past 30 years is Flubber

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a hole, new world
a new fantastic sort of hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Worf posted:

You don't seem well

If Disney was really woke, they would acknowledge that the greatest threat to freedom is straight white conservative men who think they're inherently superior to everyone else, and encourage women and minorities to fight back against them instead of ignoring that they exist at all.