Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god bless him

R.D. Mangles posted:

literally a bear lmao

lmao well i'm sure justin fields will never get hurt trying to drag the offense into production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Alaois posted:

god bless him

lmao well i'm sure justin fields will never get hurt trying to drag the offense into production

Peterman is on the practice squad, the backup is (gritting teeth) northwestern football legend Trevor Siemian.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Peterman is on the practice squad, the backup is (gritting teeth) northwestern football legend Trevor Siemian.

Trevor "The Modern Otto Graham" Siemian???

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

From google, so grain of salt and all, "Complete recovery from Rib Cartilage Injury is approximately six months because the cartilages are slow to heal since they receive little blood supply. It is advised that you rest properly and avoid strenuous activities to allow the body to reduce the inflammation of the cartilage and heal properly."

https://www.masnad.com.au/knowledge-centre/injury-hub/middle-back/rib-cartilage-injury/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's basically a pain management and then heal in the offseason thing. it's bad but players do that with worse injuries. he will be very high

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Hey, that's (one of) the same injury Baker had last year! He played through it just fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Herbert sucking this year due to the injury and then trying to negotiate a new contract next year will be a hoot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Herbert sucking this year due to the injury and then trying to negotiate a new contract next year will be a hoot.

They play a mix of the browns, jags, texans and broncos in their next 4. If they didn't have such a poo poo back up they'd probably be smart to sit him for a month.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

They play a mix of the browns, jags, texans and broncos in their next 4. If they didn't have such a poo poo back up they'd probably be smart to sit him for a month.

Daniel is more or less a fine backup based on the relative quality of backup QBs. That's why he's been a backup forever.

He's finally going to take the world by storm I tell you!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The last time this happened to a chargers qb it worked out well for me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cavauro posted:

it's basically a pain management and then heal in the offseason thing. it's bad but players do that with worse injuries. he will be very high
Dont let the guy that was injecting Tyrod with something near Herbie.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
drat, I don't want Herbie doing drugs!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Losing the battle to lose the war

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

He will get whatever he wants

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

a neat cape posted:

He will get whatever he wants

“1 million knitted Herbies per year”

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

“1 million knitted Herbies per year”

I want it to come out that something like this was included in his contract so badly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Why

Edit Unless it was for charity. Then that’d be cool.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 17, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it'db e wild.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I can't imagine Mahomes on like 2/3rds of the teams in the league and turning out the same. He'd have some third string QB from 1997 telling him "yea it looks pretty in practice but it'll never fly in a game!" and a head coach who wants the offense to be executed exactly as written up, no improvising. Do your reads, make your throw, don't hold onto the ball forever. Most of the coaches and players in the league would take supreme joy in crushing his spirit and making him a shell of himself. Plus it helped that Alex Smith wasn't an rear end in a top hat about the team drafting his possible replacement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

syzpid posted:

I can't imagine Mahomes on like 2/3rds of the teams in the league and turning out the same. He'd have some third string QB from 1997 telling him "yea it looks pretty in practice but it'll never fly in a game!" and a head coach who wants the offense to be executed exactly as written up, no improvising. Do your reads, make your throw, don't hold onto the ball forever. Most of the coaches and players in the league would take supreme joy in crushing his spirit and making him a shell of himself. Plus it helped that Alex Smith wasn't an rear end in a top hat about the team drafting his possible replacement.

Still lollin that titty kisser was taken at 2 over mahomes. I think he would have done a lot on the Bears. Would he have done as much as he did with the chiefs? Probably not, but he'd still be a top 10 qb right now instead of the #1.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

That's Chicago's Big Ten team!

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Imagine if Josh Allen was drafted by the Jets or Browns. He'd probably be a backup somewhere at best.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That’s an argument that coaching and situation are solely responsible for a quarterback. I lean towards these awesome quarterbacks were probably always going to be awesome but they’re taken to another level by the talent around them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Poor Chase Daniel, gotta go out there. He wasn't hired for this!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I mean a lot of it is probably because teams are also drafting QBs they want to fit into their scheme and develop according to how they play ball. Bears take Titty Kisser over Mahomes because TK is just a better fit for their gameplan at the time, right? Sure looking back they would probably take Mahomes and adjust their whole rear end scheme to accommodate a top 3 QB, but most QBs who play “differently” don’t end up a top 3 QB, so it’s a safe bet to do what they did, regardless of the tiny chance that they might miss on a generational talent.

A lot of drafting is just “taking the best player” but I imagine there’s different philosophies for different skill positions, especially the guy you want to touch the ball every play.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mahomes played 32 games in college to Trubisky’s 31. In those games, Pat threw for almost 3x as many yards and more than 2x as many TDs while maintaining the exact same yards per attempt.

I can’t imagine anyone watching the two of them in college and thinking that Mitch would be better in the pros.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mahomes played 32 games in college to Trubisky’s 31. In those games, Pat threw for almost 3x as many yards and more than 2x as many TDs while maintaining the exact same yards per attempt.

I can’t imagine anyone watching the two of them in college and thinking that Mitch would be better in the pros.

And this is why you'll never work for the Bears front office.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Never forget that the Bears not only took Trubs at 2, they bid against nobody to trade up and do so

syzpid posted:

I can't imagine Mahomes on like 2/3rds of the teams in the league and turning out the same. He'd have some third string QB from 1997 telling him "yea it looks pretty in practice but it'll never fly in a game!"

I’ll admit I thought there was a like a 20% chance Mahomes would figure out how to play like a normal person and be awesome, or 80% he keeps throwing no look, falling down bombs into double coverage and sets the INT record in year 1. Turns out he is the one person on earth who can do the latter but somehow get away with it!

But I am also an idiot on the internet and not a highly trained and compensated QB evaluator

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's what TWP is, Turnover Worthy Plays. Also listed as a percentage of plays for extra analytical umph.

Butt % is actually Big Time Throws, which is any throw that twitches the penis of the low paid grader.

I'm pretty sure turnover worthy plays also list plays that actually resulted in turnovers, so not quite the same stat as dropped picks.

Grittybeard posted:

Daniel is more or less a fine backup based on the relative quality of backup QBs. That's why he's been a backup forever.

He's finally going to take the world by storm I tell you!

I gotta take issue with this. He's at least in the bottom half and maybe lower in backup quality compared to the rest of the league. He's v bad

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It wasn’t just the Bears though and it wasn’t a shock that he went over Mahomes on draft day. I think most of the draftniks had either Watson or Mahomes as QB1 with neither expected to go top 2.

The whole air raid QB stigma definitely worked against Mahomes. Or not since he’ll probably retire a billionaire regardless if he was QB1 or QB3.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahomes didn't upset me because he was seen as risky, but the one that killed me was Watson because as a certified College Football Sicko I didn't understand how you could pass on the guy who just stood up to Bama doing Vince Young poo poo and think he wouldn't be a good pro. I am now relieved that the Bears didn't draft him, but to pass on both of those guys is unforgivable. On the other hand, I got a good four years of Trubisky jokes out of it.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Mahomes didn't upset me because he was seen as risky, but the one that killed me was Watson because as a certified College Football Sicko I didn't understand how you could pass on the guy who just stood up to Bama doing Vince Young poo poo and think he wouldn't be a good pro. I am now relieved that the Bears didn't draft him, but to pass on both of those guys is unforgivable. On the other hand, I got a good four years of Trubisky jokes out of it.

I thought the Chiefs should have picked him over Mahomes :sweatdrop:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I thought the Chiefs should have picked him over Mahomes :sweatdrop:

👋 Hey. Over here. Openly cheered when Miami picked Tua over Herbert. Where do I sign up for the dummies club?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not sure there's a harder wrong than being devastated when the Bills selected Allen over Rosen.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Not sure there's a harder wrong than being devastated when the Bills selected Allen over Rosen.
That was basically all of us, though, LOL.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

fsif posted:

i was despondent

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

R.D. Mangles posted:

Trubs and Watson were in the same conference, played the same teams, and somehow the Bears thought they guy who couldn't beat out Marquise Williams was a better QB than Watson

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Relooking the Browns 2017 draft they picked David Njoku right ahead of TJ Watt. Now I’m imagining Garrett and Watt and Clowney on Defense and I’m like God why.

Mahomes went 10th. I wonder if giving up Garrett would be worth taking Mahomes but I don’t think our coaching would have done him favors.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

fsif posted:

This was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it just me or are all of Herbie's best plays crazy mutant throws? Like, SD doesn't have plays where dudes are just open