Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So is the horse armor the preorder version of (I assume) a bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's funny. I didn't bother preordering because I assumed the whole horse armor thing was a joke purely outside the game.

That's what I thought as well. I just thought it was only going to take up inventory space.

I've also discovered that you can throw it, and other objects, into the fire in the Scumm Bar.

anilEhilated posted:

So is the horse armor the preorder version of (I assume) a bucket?

It's meant to be a jab at the horse armour DLC from Oblivion

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 30, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that, I just figured it was an alternative sprite for an actual in-game item (Guybrush famously having used a bucket as a helm before). Guess it isn't.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I get that, I just figured it was an alternative sprite for an actual in-game item (Guybrush famously having used a bucket as a helm before). Guess it isn't.

It's really just a joke inventory item that was included if you had pre-ordered the game. This is the official blurb:

quote:

All pre-order customers will receive the exclusive ‘Horse Armor’ item in their inventory. Please note that the horse armor has no practical use in the game and in no way will contribute to the gameplay, puzzles, or narrative of Return to Monkey Island. But it is very exclusive.

It turns out that even though it contributes nothing to the storyline there is still some unique dialogue attached to it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

The next update has been recorded and uploaded, I'm just waiting on the video to process. It could take five minutes, it could take an hour or it could be an overnight job. There's no telling with Youtube. I wasn't sure whether I should wait and make a big compilation of missed content, but I don't know how much extra content I'm going to find. This video is a short one as it contains missed content from the prelude. It contains a scene with the Scurvydog vendor and the other wishes we can make at the well.

If there's anything that I miss along the way then please let me know so I can include it in a later video.

Additional Content - Prelude

Edit: Grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 30, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final video of Part I. We have explored the island and have collected a variety of objects in an effort to secure a space on LeChuck's ship. Now it's time to work on a plan of action and execute it in a way that only Guybrush knows how.

There's a lot of going back and forth to various locations so I've made sure to make things more interesting. During my test run I was trying to use all of the inventory items in each location to see if there was any further dialogue involving them and I came up with some surprises.

There may have been some things that I have missed which I will try to uncover when I record additional content. I've noticed that there are a few differences around the island if you enter the town after visiting the pirate leaders but before speaking to Iron Rose.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Guybrush
wh..
h..

HOW THE gently caress?
Like, not even why or what, but HOW?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here's our regular reminder that all adventure game protagonists are horrible monsters.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Omobono posted:

Guybrush
wh..
h..

HOW THE gently caress?
Like, not even why or what, but HOW?

I guess he carved a handle, rather than hacking of a limb.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

That's the second biggest environmental disaster caused by Guybrush that I've ever seen!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That was legitimately shocking even with your foreshadowing comment

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Guybrush does prove he still isn't that smart or that good at wood work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arrrrr... arrrrr we the bad guys?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There were just a couple of differences from the easy version this time, but one I'm curious about.
The forest is slightly different, there are no plants marked on the map or that you can pick up for your inventory. Interestingly, my map was otherwise identical except that the mop tree area was one room off to the left, rather than at the top, but you can just follow the path as written rather than looking for plant types. The later difference this leads to is that you can just give the Voodoo Lady the eyepatch without needing the venus flytrap as well. Now I'm curious if you can pick any of the other plants to do anything with.

Also, there was one non-difference that surprised me - when I was stealing the eyepatch, I distracted the parrot the first time so I never saw the little scene where the curator takes the eyepatch away. I was sure there was going to be something related to that added in for some extra step in the harder version. Nope, it all plays out exactly the same in either version. Seems weird, that feels like a natural place to add in an extra challenge.

The other thing I was wondering about through this whole section is if I'm missing some reference to Jon Laney's name. It feels like I'm missing something because it's such a normal name where I'd expect a dumb joke one instead.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 1, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

That's the second biggest environmental disaster caused by Guybrush that I've ever seen!

Volcano eruption in Curse?
(and "second biggest monkey head" reference of course)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

There were just a couple of differences from the easy version this time, but one I'm curious about.
The forest is slightly different, there are no plants marked on the map or that you can pick up for your inventory. Interestingly, my map was otherwise identical except that the mop tree area was one room off to the left, rather than at the top, but you can just follow the path as written rather than looking for plant types. The later difference this leads to is that you can just give the Voodoo Lady the eyepatch without needing the venus flytrap as well. Now I'm curious if you can pick any of the other plants to do anything with.

Also, there was one non-difference that surprised me - when I was stealing the eyepatch, I distracted the parrot the first time so I never saw the little scene where the curator takes the eyepatch away. I was sure there was going to be something related to that added in for some extra step in the harder version. Nope, it all plays out exactly the same in either version. Seems weird, that feels like a natural place to add in an extra challenge.

The other thing I was wondering about through this whole section is if I'm missing some reference to Jon Laney's name. It feels like I'm missing something because it's such a normal name where I'd expect a dumb joke one instead.

So you do have to follow the directions in the easier version?

I'm off work Monday and Tuesday and plan to start recording some more content, I'll see what I can do in the forest. I found a trivia card in the forest during the test run but couldn't see any during the recording session.

I'm intrigued with the name Jon Laney too. It feels like it's based on a real person as it's quite an ordinary name. There aren't any obvious names that spring to mind right now but I'll keep my eyes open.

Omobono posted:

I had forgotten about that, that'll do!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Omobono posted:

I had forgotten about that, that'll do!
Don't forget the voodoo pox in Tales. I'd put feeding cheese to Sherman a solid third.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lon Chaney was known as 'the man of a thousand faces' for his portrayals of numerous horror movie monsters.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quackles posted:

Lon Chaney was known as 'the man of a thousand faces' for his portrayals of numerous horror movie monsters.

Thank you! I went completely down the wrong rabbit hole. That actually explains everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So you do have to follow the directions in the easier version?

Yep, exactly.

Quackles posted:

:doh: Of course, thanks. I should've got that, I guess a simple rhyme was just too much for my brain to cope with.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've been recording additional footage over the last few hours and I currently have over nineteen minutes of edited footage. I've just finished recording more of the forgiveness frog with Carla and I need to make a correction over something that I said in the fourth update. It turns out that you need to find the information of a randomised specific location (i.e. Santo Domingo) that is written on Carla's plaque in Low Town. I've already edited the video on Youtube in an effort to correct this error.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 3, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, both Carla facts you have to write on the frog are randomized on each playthrough.

Also, while it does slow down the pacing a bit, I didn't have to think about enabling the Writer's Cut mode for very long. The way saw it was that we've been waiting 30 years for a new Monkey Island game by Ron Gilbert, so as far as I'm concerned he can blather as much as he wants to.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 3, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, both Carla facts you have to write on the frog are randomized on each playthrough.

Also, while it does slow down the pacing a bit, I didn't have to think about enabling the Writer's Cut mode for very long. The way saw it was that we've been waiting 30 years for a new Monkey Island game by Ron Gilbert, so as far as I'm concerned he can blather as much as he wants to.

I feel the same way. With me, the more Monkey Island content the better! But for the purposes of the main LP I thought that I'd stick to the middle ground for now so people can see a normal playthrough of the game.

I need to do more playthroughs to collect the trivia cards and for other reasons that I don't want to spoil. I'm going to try to show off the different content in the easier mode and I'll also try to work on something for the Writer's Cut.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm nearing the end of recording additional footage. The video may be up tonight depending on Youtube's processing speed. I originally assumed that the map for the forest would be randomised and it turns out that it is, I somehow managed to get the exact same map twice in a row. I received a different map on the third time around and it's a slightly easier one:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now I'm curious if you can pick any of the other plants to do anything with.

You can get a sample of the purple flower but I didn't find a use for it. Guybrush refuses outright to pick the mushrooms.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part I - (Timestamps are in the video description)

There was a lot of additional dialogue and content that I missed in the first part. The first eleven minutes of footage I've marked as "Pre-Docks", even though they contain lines missed from the main playthrough, as they contain unique dialogue that is only available before Guybrush makes plans to steal LeChuck's ship. If you explore the island before going to the docks and speaking to the Quartermaster, Guybrush can ask around about hiring a ship and also can speak to people about joining his crew.

The first half contains more dialogue with Guybrush's initial meeting with the Pirate Leaders as well as the extra dialogue with the Cook, Elaine, Voodoo Lady, Locke Smith and Governor Carla before the conversation with the Quartermaster. There's also a little bit of extra footage of Low Town and the Museum as well.

The second half of the video contains further dialogue and interactions after the visit to the docks. This includes dialogue with the Quartermaster, Voodoo Lady, Wally, Otis, Locke Smith, Governor Carla (Mostly of the Forgiveness Frog), Conrad, the Clean-Looking Pirate, Captain Madison and the Quartermaster again. It also includes a little bit of minor footage in the alley.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to the start of Part II. Guybrush is now a crew member on "LeShip" which is under the command of LeChuck. To be more precise, Guybrush is the ships swabbie and is given one task that even he can't mess up...

There is a fair amount of repetitive actions and dialogue in the first ten minutes or so, mostly by choice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Congratulations on Guybrush's promotion.
For once, it wasn't even anything he did that made his victim get removed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Part II is some of my favorite stuff in the game. The ship is a pretty small location, but it's a fun one and the crew are all funny and interesting. And of course it's just inherently entertaining to be wandering around on there while LeChuck's just doing business as usual, rather than monologuing at you about his villainous plans or what-not.

You can get a sample of the purple flower but I didn't find a use for it. Guybrush refuses outright to pick the mushrooms.

Interesting...thanks for checking!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Confession time! I've made a bit of an oopsie as I've been recording the game in 60fps but the videos that I uploaded are in 30fps. I've been using Window's own 'Video Editor' software as for convenience but I didn't realise that they capped the frame rates at 30fps, for some reason. I didn't know this until someone pointed out the 60fps one of the bonus videos and decided to investigate further. It probably doesn't help that I've been playing so many old-school games over the last few years my brain seems to be hard-wired into viewing things at 30fps or below.

The original recordings are still up but I've made them unlisted, I haven't changed the links in the update posts which means that they're still available to watch for now. I've re-encoded the original recordings with different software and will be replacing the original videos when they are done. Only the first two are currently done, I'm still waiting on the others to finish processing. I was going to wait until they were all done and then post them all together but I have to leave for work right now. I will post the other four when they are done.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 5, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finished my playthrough of this, reminded why I'm not good at puzzle games. Will now gladly get onto watching these!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm still waiting on 'Part 3' to process fully, right now it's stuck in 480p hell. Parts 4 and 5 were done ages ago so I don't know what's taking so long. Part 6 is also still processing as it's twice the file size of the others, for some reason.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

All done! Apologies for any inconvenience.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I haven't watched any of this yet but 1990 and 1991 was the weird part of the 90s. And I think resolving a cliffhanger from then takes a lot of balls and frankly I'm a little terrified.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Confession time! I've made a bit of an oopsie as I've been recording the game in 60fps but the videos that I uploaded are in 30fps.

That was actually me that pointed it out. I had assumed that as of the additional content video that you had gotten new software or capture card or something.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I haven't watched any of this yet but 1990 and 1991 was the weird part of the 90s. And I think resolving a cliffhanger from then takes a lot of balls and frankly I'm a little terrified.

I can't say anything without spoiling things, I had no idea how they were going to pull it off and what they did was a big surprise.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm 20 minutes into the first video.

I've just remembered Monkey Island 2 from the recesses of my mind. I actually didn't like it at the time. It was mean spirited and had a weird kind of malice running through it. One of the first puzzles has you dumping a rat into some stew to get a chef fired. One climactic scene has LeChuck suspending the characters over a vat of acid.

The tone of this game is radically different from that. It's like it's a nikelodeon show. It seems like its target audience is people who weren't alive in 1991.

I'm just sort of baffled and vaguely underwhelmed. Sorry if bringing negativity into the thread.

edit:

I finished the first vid. Oof, what a twist. I should probably refrain from commenting until I'm a bit more caught up.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 6, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm 20 minutes into the first video.

I've just remembered Monkey Island 2 from the recesses of my mind. I actually didn't like it at the time. It was mean spirited and had a weird kind of malice running through it. One of the first puzzles has you dumping a rat into some stew to get a chef fired. One climactic scene has LeChuck suspending the characters over a vat of acid.

The tone of this game is radically different from that. It's like it's a nikelodeon show. It seems like its target audience is people who weren't alive in 1991.

I'm just sort of baffled and vaguely underwhelmed. Sorry if bringing negativity into the thread.

edit:

I finished the first vid. Oof, what a twist. I should probably refrain from commenting until I'm a bit more caught up.

There's no need to apologise and I don't feel like you're bringing negativity to the thread at all. I'd like to think that my LP's are an open forum for people to express themselves no matter how they feel. The previous games have a lot of examples of Guybrush being a dick, to add to what you've expressed: Getting Kate Capsize jailed so he could evade the authorities, stranding his own crew on Monkey Island, pretending to be the heir to a family so he could steal their dead relative's wedding ring.... I've had a similar discussion in the Broken Sword thread where the protagonist has also done some horrible things to other people to get his own way. Adventure game protagonists are usually selfish and mean but they're also cartoonish and in a work of fiction, I'm struggling to think of a protagonist who is genuinely nice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
depends if you consider phoenix wright an adventure game protagonist I guess

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, there’s Sam (not Max) from Sam and Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Quackles posted:

Well, there’s Sam (not Max) from Sam and Max.

Sam does drive golfballs into the faces of a lot of alligators and steals, like, constantly.