Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Dropsy is one character that springs to mind. All he wants to do is save the circus and make new friends along the way.

Leraika posted:

depends if you consider phoenix wright an adventure game protagonist I guess

I think that it counts as an adventure game of sorts. I can't think of any moments where he was an outright dick to anyone.

Quackles posted:

Well, there’s Sam (not Max) from Sam and Max.

Don't let his calm demeanour fool you. Not only is he complicit in Max's behaviour he also encourages it. The stealing has been mentioned but he also convinces Max to steal as well.

Edit: I've completed a test run for the next update, I just need to work out the order of how I'm going to approach things. There may be some repetition again in an effort to hear more dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I think that it counts as an adventure game of sorts. I can't think of any moments where he was an outright dick to anyone.

One exception: Hobo Phoenix in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. While Phoenix was on the side of the law the whole time, some of his actions are… sketchy, particularly everything regarding the MASON System’s presentation of the final case.

That game actually fascinates me, for this specific reason.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Quackles posted:

One exception: Hobo Phoenix in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. While Phoenix was on the side of the law the whole time, some of his actions are… sketchy, particularly everything regarding the MASON System’s presentation of the final case.

That game actually fascinates me, for this specific reason.

I forgot about Apollo Justice, he did go off the rails in his later years.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

He gets his groove back in the next game, though. By defending an orca whale accused of murder. You know, as you do.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
The protagonist of Mystery of the Druids gives a tramp medical alchohol to render him unconcious so he can steal change from him to make a phonecall.

edit:

I almost don't regard Apollo Justice as being canon. It felt like edgy fanfiction to me. And it plays the "and then everything went back to the way it was as if none of this happened" card.

(Shadi Enigma was cool. I liked the whole concept of Shadi Enigma)

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 7, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Now that Gullet has been let go we are able to explore the ship without any restrictions. Guybrush has a potion to make and the ship has already run dangerously low on supplies.

Bonus Videos

Dead Dead Dead

This video is what happens when you let the counter run down to zero while Guybrush is underwater. Even though there isn't anything interesting to see while it's counting down I decided to record it in full any way.

If you want to go straight to the interesting parts then skip to the end of the timer. I really should have put timestamps in the video description before I left for work, I'll add them in later. I wasn't sure what to call this video so I just named it after the achievement.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A bit of a filler part of the game, I think?
Still, we got the new three pirate captains stooges being all backstabby and then incompetent. How the gently caress don't you have a pressed skull a Jolly Roger worked the last time we had to do this.

Shouldn't tailing a ship that brewed the sail to MI potion automatically fail?
Then again, MST3K mantra and we're still in the planning phase, it may fail.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Omobono posted:

A bit of a filler part of the game, I think?
Still, we got the new three pirate captains stooges being all backstabby and then incompetent.

Yeah, it sort of is, but I liked it a lot anyway. I think it has fun puzzles and a lot of good dialogue that sets up the characters pretty well.

The other thing I noticed about this bit is that it feels almost identical to a section in Tales, where you're in a limited environment with a group of new characters and you also have to get them to vote unanimously for you by figuring out what each person wants and how to set it up. I guess when you really boil it down, you spend a lot of time figuring out a thing to get a person to help you, but it's more the specific voting setup. Right down to one member going "I'll only vote in line with this other person" (although I will say that Tales had a funny puzzle related to that, rather than just being one less thing to do).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I really enjoyed this part of the game but I'm easily part of the game, but I'm easily pleased.

Omobono posted:

How the gently caress don't you have a pressed skull a Jolly Roger worked the last time we had to do this.

There's a couple of real life reasons for not having the Jolly Roger. But this is an adventure game and my only answer is the same for anything illogical in an adventure is this: Adventure game logic. I believe that it's also called 'Moon Logic'.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm quite glad that they've avoided the stereotype of the Skull and Crossbones. Only a few named pirates actively used it and it was only used late into the Age Of Piracy. The more common flag used by pirates would have been plain in colour, usually black or red, and only really in use when they were going to and/or during an attack.

It would make more sense that if LeChuck had his own Jolly Roger it would be of his own design. This would be so that anyone who sees it would recognise that it is his ship.

The Pirate Leaders are most likely not using the Skull and Crossbones for similar reasons and there are possibly more reasons that I could go into more about both of these but I've banged on for enough time already.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think it's kind of interesting that the Zombie chef can't get a job because they say he was "too green". I.e. pretending it's his experience but actually he's being discriminated against. Naturally he can only serve aboard a pirate vessel. So the undead associate with thieves and villains only because they've been excluded from living society.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Wouldn't this imply that there are communities of the undead out there? We have only really seen the undead* on LeChucks ship before now so it would have been safe to assume that he raised them to be part of his crew.

But now we know Putra has been around for a while and has been seeking active employment before joining LeChuck's crew. She has indeed been discriminated against and having to make a living in this manner, but hopefully in the next game** we might see her running her own restaurant.

*There were the two ghosts in Curse and Rapp Scallion was temporarily one of the undead.

**Assuming that she is still intact at the end of the game.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It opens a can of worms. They were just scary spooks and now it's the civil rights movement.

edit:

Pirates are completely unfazed by the supernatural this time around. I guess voodoo curses and shambling undead horrors are just facts of life at this point.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 8, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's been a few days since the last update and it's probably going to be a couple of days before the next one. I've been suffering with a really bad cold and have been feeling like total arse, I haven't felt this bad since I had covid. I seem to be over the worst of it but I haven't slept in two days and haven't gone through this many tissues in one day since I was fourteen. The next update is already planned out and it's going to be the final part of the second act. I'll try to have something up on Wednesday if all goes well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Take as long as you need, hope you start to feel better soon!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, hope you feel better soon but no stress on the LP side of things!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the well wishes. There will be a new update later but I was having some issues getting it done. I tried last night but my throat wasn't having it so I had to abandon several attempts because of coughing fits.

This morning was rife with a different issue. I had to abandon several recordings because the game had a weird skip at the exact same moment in each of them. There is a point where Guybrush needs to go up the stairs, but when he returns down again the game decides to skip a couple of frames at the same exact part on the staircase. I thought that it may have been something on my end but it kept happening even after restarting the computer.

The only thing that seemed to be a workaround was playing the game up until that point, reloading the auto save and then continuing on from that. I've edited the final recording so it's almost seamless, there will be a noticeable change to the music though as it resets due to the reload.

I'll post the update tonight after work as it's probably going to take a while to process.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 12, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of the second act and it's an action-packed twenty minutes. Guybrush does everything in our power in an effort to secure the votes that he needs as well as make sure that he can even get to the island in the first place.

I don't think that there is a whole lot of extra material that I missed out in the second act but I will go through it again and record what I can before starting the third act.

This kept happening at this particular spot, even with a complete system restart. I should have kept all of the recordings I made so I could have made a bigger compilation but I didn't think about it at the time, I was lucky that I still had one of the older ones in the recycling bin. The first one was a recording that was made forty minutes before the second one, which was taken from the recording session that this update is from. There's something about that step that makes the game glitch slightly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhOFZXEbuE

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It got a huge laugh out of me but uh did you mean to include what happens at 13:45

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

It got a huge laugh out of me but uh did you mean to include what happens at 13:45

:eyepop: Whoops!

Edit: Thank you! I can't stop laughing at that slip up!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 12, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the edited video, I apologise to anyone who saw the last one!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's just something I find endlessly funny about getting on LeChuck's ship and finding out how much his day-to-day routine involves paperwork and monotonous managerial speeches. Also, the twist on insult swordfighting was a good gag to cap it off. All in all, a great chapter.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact: Pirate ships were historically democracies since the hierarchy on most merchant and Navy vessels often made it easy for a captain to become abusive and use his authority to take advantage of his crew whereas to quote Francis Kennedy: "most pirates, ‘having suffered formerly from the ill-treatment of their officers, provided carefully against such evil’ once they arranged their own command."

In fact there were five major ways that pirate ships were essentially true democracies:
  1. The pirates created an order that allowed them to vote for their captains.
  2. The crew retained the right to depose their leader if they so chose.
  3. There was a system of checks and balances.
  4. They had a health care system.
  5. Booty was distributed fairly according to skill and duty.

So LeChuck should count himself lucky that his crew are so loyal and Guybrush too nice to actually turn them against him and especially Rose since, as the quartermaster, she is the intermediary between the pirate crew and the captain. It's been said that the captain can undertake nothing which the quartermaster does not approve…. he speaks for and looks after the interest of the crew.

Prurient Squid posted:

I think it's kind of interesting that the Zombie chef can't get a job because they say he was "too green". I.e. pretending it's his experience but actually he's being discriminated against. Naturally he can only serve aboard a pirate vessel. So the undead associate with thieves and villains only because they've been excluded from living society.

To be fair, pirate ships were one of the few places various minorities like women and former slaves were treated as equals at that time in history so I can believe that the same could be applied to zombies in a setting based on the golden age of piracy.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 14, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I could believe that. Also, the captain himself is a zombie in this case.
Actually, what is LeChuck at this point? He's gone through ghost/zombie/demon incarnations but he mostly just seems to have settled back into general zombie form.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've started to record extra content from the second chapter and I've just discovered that you can actually make Guybrush eat the Scorched Alaska. I'm slightly ashamed that I missed this in the main playthrough as it's a good scene, it even has an achievement attached to it.

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's just something I find endlessly funny about getting on LeChuck's ship and finding out how much his day-to-day routine involves paperwork and monotonous managerial speeches. Also, the twist on insult swordfighting was a good gag to cap it off. All in all, a great chapter.

Chimera-gui posted:

Fun fact: Pirate ships were historically democracies since the hierarchy on most merchant and Navy vessels often made it easy for a captain to become abusive and use his authority to take advantage of his crew whereas to quote Francis Kennedy: "most pirates, ‘having suffered formerly from the ill-treatment of their officers, provided carefully against such evil’ once they arranged their own command."

In fact there were five major ways that pirate ships were essentially true democracies:
  1. The pirates created an order that allowed them to vote for their captains.
  2. The crew retained the right to depose their leader if they so chose.
  3. There was a system of checks and balances.
  4. They had a health care system.
  5. Booty was distributed fairly according to skill and duty.

So LeChuck should count himself lucky that his crew are so loyal and Guybrush too nice to actually turn them against him and especially Rose since, as the quartermaster, she is the intermediary between the pirate crew and the captain. It's been said that the captain can undertake nothing which the quartermaster does not approve…. he speaks for and looks after the interest of the crew.

To be fair, pirate ships were one of the few places various minorities like women and former slaves were treated as equals at that time in history so I can believe that the same could be applied to zombies in a setting based on the golden age of piracy.

There seems to be a democracy aboard the ship but I don't think LeChuck would acquiesce his leadership in any manner. I didn't know what to expect from LeChuck but he just seems to be almost like a normal captain, he is a strict disciplinarian but is dutiful in his administration and he rewards good work. The crew seem to be following him willingly instead of being a mindless army of the undead. I was going to talk about Guybrush and LeChuck almost seeming like normal people but then I remembered LeChuck's obsession with Elaine and the number of times that he's kidnapped her.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually, what is LeChuck at this point? He's gone through ghost/zombie/demon incarnations but he mostly just seems to have settled back into general zombie form.

He was a ghost in the first game, zombie in the second, demon in the third. My memory is hazy with the fourth and fifth games but I think that he was still in demon form in Escape and a zombie again in the Tales(?) Voodoo works in weird ways.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
In Escape he could rotate between the forms, and also just some general shapeshifting.

It's me, the person who played Escape first as a kid and still likes it despite all the criticism it gets.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Guybrush, you're a moron.

You think Rose figured him out before the idiocy? Her animation was less surprised and more :ughh:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

In Escape he could rotate between the forms, and also just some general shapeshifting.

It's me, the person who played Escape first as a kid and still likes it despite all the criticism it gets.

I enjoyed Escape. There are a lot of enjoyable moments and fun to he had in the game. The game engine and mechanics are not good but they're serviceable. There are some really well done puzzles but they're somewhat overshadowed
by some very bullshit puzzles. There's also one point in the game where you can hit a brick wall very hard.

I can get what they were going for with the Monkey Kombat but they really shouldn't have randomised the moves. When I LP'd Escape eight years ago I think that I managed to get through that section in around twenty minutes.

Escape is worth a playthrough at least once and I'd recommend keeping a guide close by when you do.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

There seems to be a democracy aboard the ship but I don't think LeChuck would acquiesce his leadership in any manner. I didn't know what to expect from LeChuck but he just seems to be almost like a normal captain, he is a strict disciplinarian but is dutiful in his administration and he rewards good work. The crew seem to be following him willingly instead of being a mindless army of the undead.

Oh I wouldn't expect him to back down from his position without a fight given his history and personality but I also wouldn't be surprised if the writers did research on how pirate ships were actually operated and wrote LeChuck and the crew accordingly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part II

This was a fun chapter to replay, there was some fun additional dialogue and a few other things that I missed out on originally. The clips in this video are all in chronological order due to the nature of how the chapter progresses. I've added timestamps to the video which have their own topic names which are as follows:

Meeting Murray, Induction, Taking Murray, Fun With Gullet, Returning Flair's Knife, LeChuck's Introduction, First Swab's Report, Betrayal, The Plan, The Vote, Confronting Flair, Zombie Problems, Tasting The Scorched Alaska and Voting Hour.

I haven't even begun the third chapter yet but I will conduct a test run soon. I'm hoping to have something up within the next few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 16, 2022

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

That's a link to part 1

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

That's a link to part 1

:doh: Thank you for telling me.

Here is the proper link: Additional Content - Part II

I'll change the links in the post and OP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Captain Hygiene posted:

LeChuck is undead. Let's leave it at that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just realised that I forgot to record the additional lines at the end where Guybrush and LeChuck are fighting.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Here is the alternative dialogue to the Insult Sword Fighting™. I apologise for missing it originally and uploading the previous video prematurely. This LP is going well!

Additional Content - Part IIb

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We have returned to Monkey Island™!

I still haven't shifted this cold, I'm still bunged up and slightly delirious. I was meaning to say something along the lines of that we're going to visit the red berries last because that's where progress lies.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Could just be a coincidence, but I wonder if the "Orange" option was a reference to Curse's sea shanty solution

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

We've still got a ways to go yet, but I like this whole section of LeChuck puzzles a lot. The skull one in particular is fun, I had no idea what to expect when I started finding them scattered all over the place.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Could just be a coincidence, but I wonder if the "Orange" option was a reference to Curse's sea shanty solution

I'm 100% sure it is, it was a deservedly famous gag in that game, and I don't see it popping up again in reference to a rhyme prompt without that in mind.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That latin incantation Lila did is almost a grammatically correct phrase. Mostly, the last word doesn't actually seem to exist in Latin?

My attempts at a translation and cleanup :
"Who would love pain for pain's sake//
unless they would get an advantage from [suffering] it//
or they were blinded by greed"

(no, it's not lorem ipsum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why does LeChuck blame Wally and not Threepwood, who he knows was messing about onboard his ship, for the map?

A pirate I was meant to be,
trim the sails and roam the sea.