Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poil posted:

Why does LeChuck blame Wally and not Threepwood, who he knows was messing about onboard his ship, for the map?

A pirate I was meant to be,
trim the sails and roam the sea.

Because Wally messed up and gave him the wrong map! Like that nincompoop threepwood could have stolen it in a wacky series of idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm going to try to record another update within the next few days, I have my little one for part of the school holidays so my free time has been shortened considerably. I missed a line of dialogue involving the horse armour in the second act so I'll be including it in the additional footage for the third act. I thought that I'd start the recordings early but it's been a little premature as I haven't done many actions so far, it also doesn't help that most of the alternate dialogue with Guybrush hanging upside yields no extra dialogue at all. I'm going to plan another update tonight and I'll try to record something this weekend.

Poil posted:

Why does LeChuck blame Wally and not Threepwood, who he knows was messing about onboard his ship, for the map?

A pirate I was meant to be,
trim the sails and roam the sea.

How I see it is that LeChuck didn't even look at the map before he got to Monkey Island as he would have noticed the difference as soon as he opened it again. LeChuck commissioned a map from Wally and left it on his desk and when they got to Monkey Island he picked up a map that was left on his desk to give him directions. Those directions happened to be wrong so in a fit of anger he's blaming the person from who he commissioned the map for giving him those directions. Or he already knows it was Guybrush and is using Wally as a scapegoat to punish someone.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This act was really short as this is the second and final part of it. We already have some tasks to perform and we head back to LeShip to accomplish them. I don't want to spoil what happens afterwards as there are some surprises mixed in with some of the obvious developments. There's a fair bit of reading in this video and I wasn't in a rush to skim through the pages, the reading starts at 6:50 and ends at 14:05.

I'll work on more additional dialogue over the next few days.

Omobono posted:

That latin incantation Lila did is almost a grammatically correct phrase. Mostly, the last word doesn't actually seem to exist in Latin?

My attempts at a translation and cleanup :
"Who would love pain for pain's sake//
unless they would get an advantage from [suffering] it//
or they were blinded by greed"

(no, it's not lorem ipsum)

Thank you for the translation. I wonder if this has been copied from an actual text or if they've just made it up for the game. There is another challenge for you in this video if you want to undertake it:

Quis nostrud fugiat, nulla tempor.
Laboris nisi ex commodo consequat.

Quis autem vel voluptate velit!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:3:
I think I really like how Elaine has her own way of getting to MI. They really are selling her as protagonist of her own adventure.

Let's see, again the Latin collapses in the last phrase
(Admittedly the last time I studied Latin was 20 years ago but I'm sure you're not supposed to have "however" and "or" attached to the same verb)
"You who wants to flee from us, it's too late [lit: there's no time].
You're working only for the sake of profit.
(LeChuck's catchphrase goes here)
however who wants pleasure"
I think the intended meaning for that last phrase is lol lmao we're backstabbing you in three seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if the incantations were written by starting with actual Latin phrases and then mangling the last line.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another section where I just really liked all the puzzle solving, finding out LeChuck's secrets was just a good time. His diary in particular was a cute read and a fun puzzle.
I also liked the musical skulls puzzle a lot,, I was not sure what to expect when I was picking up all the skulls earlier on. I didn't have a good save to test it out, but I'm curious whether you could get through that section without placing them in the correct order if you already know the correct note sequence regardless of their position.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I yelled OH NO!!!! when I saw Guybrush didn't bounce back up

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The captains deliberately cut the various rubber trees beforehand so Guybrush wouldn't bounce, didn't they? :tinfoil:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Another section where I just really liked all the puzzle solving, finding out LeChuck's secrets was just a good time. His diary in particular was a cute read and a fun puzzle.
I also liked the musical skulls puzzle a lot,, I was not sure what to expect when I was picking up all the skulls earlier on. I didn't have a good save to test it out, but I'm curious whether you could get through that section without placing them in the correct order if you already know the correct note sequence regardless of their position.

You can put the skulls in any order that you like, I just put them in this order so I could easily remember where each one was after completely ballsing up the order in the first place.

Omobono posted:

:3:
I think I really like how Elaine has her own way of getting to MI. They really are selling her as protagonist of her own adventure.

Let's see, again the Latin collapses in the last phrase
(Admittedly the last time I studied Latin was 20 years ago but I'm sure you're not supposed to have "however" and "or" attached to the same verb)
"You who wants to flee from us, it's too late [lit: there's no time].
You're working only for the sake of profit.
(LeChuck's catchphrase goes here)
however who wants pleasure"
I think the intended meaning for that last phrase is lol lmao we're backstabbing you in three seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if the incantations were written by starting with actual Latin phrases and then mangling the last line.

Omobono posted:

The captains deliberately cut the various rubber trees beforehand so Guybrush wouldn't bounce, didn't they? :tinfoil:

It sounds like the incarnations had no real effect and were used just because they sound fancy.

They definitely chose that spot for a reason, maybe they used the skull to experiment beforehand?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 25, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fairly sure you can. I bruteforced that segment and I didn't know anything about placing the skulls in certain orders.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea Murray was such an accomplished pickpocket.

If you want to insult someone's pirate ship I recommend this Alestorm song. (mildly NWS)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It sounds like the incarnations had no real effect and were used just because they sound fancy.

I don't think I can agree. There's this undercurrent of "look at this moron thinking he can pull one over us" in the lines, which is extremely appropriate considering what happens.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Omobono posted:

I don't think I can agree. There's this undercurrent of "look at this moron thinking he can pull one over us" in the lines, which is extremely appropriate considering what happens.

I was meaning that the spoken incantations don't seem to have any effect on the spell, as they're about insulting Guybrush and not about creating a magical map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You can put the skills in any order that you like, I just put them in this order so I could easily remember where each one was after completely ballsing up the order in the first place.

Yeah, that makes sense. I got too focused on getting everything set up right being part of the puzzle, when the game doesn't actually do anything to tell you that part's needed necessary.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm about two-thirds into replaying this chapter and I've found a surprising amount of additional dialogue, I've even managed to get Guybrush to try another one of Putra's dishes. So far I have over twelve minutes of edited footage which will most likely balloon towards the end with the betrayal and Elaine's rescue. I'm going to try to have things done before the weekend, I have a couple of child-free days off work after tomorrow so if all goes well I'll finish them during that time and start off the next chapter.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part III

As I mentioned in the above post, there were a lot of additional lines of dialogue in this chapter despite its brevity. The most time-consuming part was everything from the ritual onwards as there was no option to save until Elaine runs off, I had to repeat the ritual and everything else right up until the final clip. The clips are in chapter progression order again, timestamps are in the video description. The clips included in this video are:

Horse Armour, Hanging Around (Despite there being alternate choices in this dialogue tree, most of them don't trigger any extra dialogue), Unprepared, Another Brazen Attempt, Dangling Metaphors, Poetry Recital, Gullet vs Gullet, Permission To Come Aboard?, Annoying Bob, Reprieve, Ship Repairs (I meant to show this off during the main playthrough), Cooking With Putra, Booted Off and A Minor Set Back.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Guybrush, Elaine and the gang have arrived back on Mêlée Island to track down the secret and they find the island hasn't fared well from the earthquake.

Bonus Videos

Here's a video that consists entirely of Guybrush entering and leaving a shop repeatedly for a little under three minutes: On The Lam

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know why the SCUMM Bar cook bawling his eyes out makes me laugh so hard every time, but it does. Poor guy just can't catch a break.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sooo... we will actually see the Secret of Monkey Island this time? For real?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Torrannor posted:

The secret was in your heart all along!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The secret was the friends we abused along the way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They already found out that the secret was Monkey Kombat, I'm not sure how they all managed to forget that. Looking forward to an hour+ of working out the randomized movesets again in any case!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

They already found out that the secret was Monkey Kombat, I'm not sure how they all managed to forget that. Looking forward to an hour+ of working out the randomized movesets again in any case!
We do not talk about Monkey Kombat.

e: I'm really hoping the secret of Monkey Island isn't just a copy of The Secret of Monkey Island.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 28, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

anilEhilated posted:

We do not talk about Monkey Kombat.

Monkey Kombat wouldn't be as bad if they didn't randomise the drat thing each time. I'm quite proud that it only took me twenty minutes to get through it in the LP but it's not something that I want to experience again any time soon. I completed the LP eight years ago and it'll probably be at least another eight before I go back to it again.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Do you have to visit the wreck of the Sea Monkey before being pushed off the cliff?

I noticed that during the dialogue with Elaine, she mentions the wreck and Guybrush says he saw it, and I was wondering if there’s alternate dialogue if you didn’t visit it beforehand.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Do you have to visit the wreck of the Sea Monkey before being pushed off the cliff?

I noticed that during the dialogue with Elaine, she mentions the wreck and Guybrush says he saw it, and I was wondering if there’s alternate dialogue if you didn’t visit it beforehand.

Isn't one of the musical skulls there?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought that, and then I went down a rabbit hole thinking whether all the skulls were needed for the tune, and if not was that one of them that was needed…

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I thought that, and then I went down a rabbit hole thinking whether all the skulls were needed for the tune, and if not was that one of them that was needed…

Oh that's right, I forgot that you only wind up using some of the skulls for their puzzle. Interesting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The safe is just going to have a piece of paper with some writing on it:

The Secret posted:

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Zaroff posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's right, I forgot that you only wind up using some of the skulls for their puzzle. Interesting.

Is the tune randomised? Also, you have to actually look at the ship to identify it. I'll take a closer look this weekend as I won't be home tonight.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is the tune randomised? Also, you have to actually look at the ship to identify it. I'll take a closer look this weekend as I won't be home tonight.

Pretty sure the tune is not randomized, given that LeChuck's theme has been around since Curse if not earlier.

I wonder what happens if you don't get the music and just play it by ear?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is the tune randomised?

It's the first bit of LeChuck's actual theme, so that won't change, but I didn't notice whether the notes each skull corresponds to were the same as in my playthrough.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The theme will be the same but do the notes change the tone of it?

One thing that I didn't show off is that if you leave the skulls on the points they won't be added to the ship, neither will Murray I'd you leave him behind too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just checked several walkthroughs and the skull puzzle pattern is the same in every one. Which does make sense logically but I wanted to be sure as there are a lot of randomized elements in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, do re mi fa so la ti do are verbal representations of a scale. You can't just change them around and shifting up or down them for your start point would put you in a different key playing wrong notes.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Torrannor posted:

I can't imagine that Ron Gilbert, of all people, would ever string the audience with an open ended conclusion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's kinda funny because, until the Secret became a running gag, I just assumed that it was the fact that there's a secret giant hell chamber underneath the island that you climb through a giant monkey statue's head to get to. Like, if you just show me that, I'll be like "yeah, that was a cool and satisfying secret, good job".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

EricFate posted:

I can't imagine that Ron Gilbert, of all people, would ever string the audience with an open ended conclusion.

Will we get the complimentary t-shirt though? I still have my Treasure of Meleé IslandTM and Defeater of the Swordmaster of Meleé IslandTM somewhere.

Now that I wrote that, did they ever try to actually do some merchandising on those lines?

Edit:

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's kinda funny because, until the Secret became a running gag, I just assumed that it was the fact that there's a secret giant hell chamber underneath the island that you climb through a giant monkey statue's head to get to. Like, if you just show me that, I'll be like "yeah, that was a cool and satisfying secret, good job".

True, between hell and Big Whoop you'd think we'd be good on Secrets of Monkey IslandTM

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

I kept a save file at the start of the third chapter so I was able to power through it and get back to this point. There's no way to avoid the location of the wreck entirely as the skull there gives us the "Mi" sound. But it turns out that if you avoid looking at the wreck it does give you a different line of dialogue when you're talking to Elaine. I'll do some more recording tomorrow as it's getting late here. I'm going to plan out the next update in the morning but I will record the line and look into the different ship configurations at the end of the chapter at some point before or after work.

Omobono posted:

Will we get the complimentary t-shirt though? I still have my Treasure of Meleé IslandTM and Defeater of the Swordmaster of Meleé IslandTM somewhere.

Now that I wrote that, did they ever try to actually do some merchandising on those lines?

Edit:

True, between hell and Big Whoop you'd think we'd be good on Secrets of Monkey IslandTM

I don't believe that LucasArts capitalised on a line of Monkey Island merchandise but after a quick search, I've seen plenty of other people trying to make money by selling bootleg T-shirts.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've completed a test run and I will try to record something within the next couple of days. There's only one thing that I'm unsure of but that's mainly because it's part of a larger puzzle, something that we already know about from the previous update.

I've recorded the extra line and I'll add it to the next additional footage video as it's just going to be a single clip. I did look into the different combinations of skulls on a ship but it didn't really seem like it was worth compiling a video of all of the different configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A slightly shorter than usual video which is down to want to give the next segment of the game a fresh start. This video is mainly following Guybrush's jaunt around the island to see what's changed since he left and then it finishes with taking a closer look at the new map that Wally gave to us.