Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

A slightly shorter than usual video which is down to want to give the next segment of the game a fresh start. This video is mainly following Guybrush's jaunt around the island to see what's changed since he left and then it finishes with taking a closer look at the new map that Wally gave to us.

This Chums/multiple flags stuff is interesting, that is largely optional/missing in casual mode so it feels like the biggest change so far beyond just adding an extra step on top of an existing puzzle.

e: Forgot to mention, great to have all the bits from Tales showing up.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Captain Hygiene posted:

This Chums/multiple flags stuff is interesting, that is largely optional/missing in casual mode so it feels like the biggest change so far beyond just adding an extra step on top of an existing puzzle.

e: Forgot to mention, great to have all the bits from Tales showing up.

Are you able to attain the lure as an inventory item or have they cut it out completely?

The Tales era story recap was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure at this point in time whether that particular storyline is optional or not, I immediately went to being swallowed whole by the manatee but was told to change it. The later conversations also had dialogue choices that involved events from the other games. Right now I don't know whether I'm choosing the Tales era because it's the correct choice or because I went there by instinct. It's working so far so I'll keep to it for now.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 1, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A slightly shorter than usual video which is down to want to give the next segment of the game a fresh start. This video is mainly following Guybrush's jaunt around the island to see what's changed since he left and then it finishes with taking a closer look at the new map that Wally gave to us.

That doesn't sound very good for Wally at all! :ohdear:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Will we get the complimentary t-shirt though? I still have my Treasure of Meleé IslandTM and Defeater of the Swordmaster of Meleé IslandTM somewhere.
Oh god, I forgot about the T-shirts. The Secret of Monkey Island is going to be a T-shirt saying "Discoverer of the Secret of Monkey Island", isn't it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Are you able to attain the lure as an inventory item or have they cut it out completely?

My memory's a little fuzzy by this point, but I don't believe I got the lure as I remember being curious at seeing it pop up in various places. I don't have a save file in a good place to check it out, but from looking at guides for the differences in casual mode, it looks like the game dialogue tries to keep you out of starting that sequence but you can do it if you're persistent and keep trying.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

We start to explore new territory in this video. Guybrush visits two new islands that are about as similar as Chaucer and Chevy Chase.

I absolutely love that we now have the ability to travel between islands, it's just going to make doing an effective blind run a little bit more difficult.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Noooo, what a cliffhanger!

Can you use that magic sign to teleport to that door, even if you're on another island?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Noooo, what a cliffhanger!

Can you use that magic sign to teleport to that door, even if you're on another island?

I've just tried to use it on Mêlée Island and it didn't work. It may have uses elsewhere but it's going to need more extensive testing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Those three pirate skeletons are really confusing as a reference. My first thought when I saw them was the Men of Low Moral Fiber from the first two games, but the headgear on the skeletons doesn't fit with them. The barbershop guys seem like a better guess, but the headband on the middle skeleton doesn't fit, unless I'm forgetting something. So I'm just confused, I'll be curious if there's more info confirming what they're referencing.

I also found the endless customs form very funny. I was curious how deep of a joke puzzle it actually was in terms of which things you fill out, but I managed to get accepted on my first try and didn't have a good save to play around with it from.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Those three pirate skeletons are really confusing as a reference. My first thought when I saw them was the Men of Low Moral Fiber from the first two games, but the headgear on the skeletons doesn't fit with them. The barbershop guys seem like a better guess, but the headband on the middle skeleton doesn't fit, unless I'm forgetting something. So I'm just confused, I'll be curious if there's more info confirming what they're referencing.

Look carefully at a picture of the original 'Secret of Monkey Island' box art.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm doing this on my phone and Imgur is weird with links so I hope that this works:

Their hats do seem to match the skeletons. It doesn't explain the fourth skeleton though.

Here are the Men Of Low Moral Fiber (Pirates):

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

How could I forget?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

EricFate posted:

Look carefully at a picture of the original 'Secret of Monkey Island' box art.

Oh yeah :v:

....but who are those guys? :tinfoil:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How could I forget?

A pirate I was meant to be, trim the sails and roam the sea.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah :v:

....but who are those guys? :tinfoil:

My best guess is that they're token pirates drawn solely for the cover.

Poil posted:

We're a club of tuneful rovers!
We can sing in every clef!
We can even hit the highnotes!
It's too bad we're tone deaf!

The Barbery Coast was my first guess but I couldn't remember at the time whether Bill wore a bandana or not.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Poil posted:

:smugguybrush: We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange...

I dearly love Curse, but the second half isn't as good as the first half. Still good game, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Setting up an entire musical sequence solely to funnel the player to a "rhymes with orange" gag is the kind of writing and production every adventure game should aspire to.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Why didn't we get the song on the Italian version of Curse?
We were robbed. High seas piracy. It's not like Italian is an hard language for finding rhymes. (It's not like they needed good ones)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Omobono posted:

Why didn't we get the song on the Italian version of Curse?
We were robbed. High seas piracy. It's not like Italian is an hard language for finding rhymes. (It's not like they needed good ones)

I believe that it was cut out from all of the versions released that weren't English. From what I've read, the writers didn't know how to translate the songs and make them fit the same rhyming scheme and metric system.

Edit: Is the Steam release of Curse still in English only?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My best guess is that they're token pirates drawn solely for the cover.

Truly, they died as they lived.

We're a club of tuneful rovers!
We can sing in every clef!
We can even hit the highnotes!
It's too bad we're tone deaf!

"You say you're nasty pirates,
scheming, thieving, bad bushwhackers,
but from what I've seen, I tell you,
you're not pirates, you're just
slacke—"

"—A PIRATE I WAS MEANT TO BE! TRIM THE SAILS AND ROAM THE SEA!"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Guybrush explores Barebones Island and Brrr Muda in this video. I need to spend some time now working on how I'm going to start solving these puzzles in an efficient manner as it seems like I'm going to need to do a fair bit of going back and forth.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Was it just me, or did the guy on Barebones island remind anyone else of the suicidal salesman in Day of the Tentacle (at least looks wise)?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Regarding Stan's full name, I had to look it up because I was pretty sure it was one of the newer (well, relatively speaking) games that added that. Looks like it was from Tales, which makes sense since I only got around to completely playing through that one earlier this year.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
For those baffled by the Brrr Mudan 'hyggeligt', this wikipedia article is a good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge

Also, thanks a mil Rockets for soldiering on like you do. :tipshat:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to revisit the other islands in this video to complete several of the puzzles we discovered before, but I couldn't complete them at the time. I'm trying to reduce the back-and-forth as much as possible but there are still a couple of things that I haven't managed to work out if they are puzzles yet and I'll take a closer look at them at some point before the next update.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Regarding Stan's full name, I had to look it up because I was pretty sure it was one of the newer (well, relatively speaking) games that added that. Looks like it was from Tales, which makes sense since I only got around to completely playing through that one earlier this year.

I haven't played Tales in about eight years, it's probably the game that I have the least amount of experience with. Thank you for looking this up.

Old Grey Guy posted:

For those baffled by the Brrr Mudan 'hyggeligt', this wikipedia article is a good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge

Also, thanks a mil Rockets for soldiering on like you do. :tipshat:

Thank you for the link! And thank you for the kind words.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh dear. Guybrush has some explaining to do when he meets Elaine next :ohdear:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Oh dear. Guybrush has some explaining to do when he meets Elaine next :ohdear:

This has been a long time coming!

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Aren't birds immune to capsaicin? Why is this the solution to the seagull puzzle?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

SITB posted:

Aren't birds immune to capsaicin? Why is this the solution to the seagull puzzle?

Perhaps the burning caused by demon pepper is not just chemical in nature.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SITB posted:

I'm guessing because it has demonic properties like the demon fire staying lit underwater.

Or, adventure game logic.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Just dropping in to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the Let's Play and thank you for showing all the additional content.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm curious how the XYZZY reference played for folks in general. I'm enough of a nerd to recognize it as something from one of the early text adventure games, but not that it was a teleport spell (which I looked up afterwards). So I only figured that out when I was in the dark and it was the only usable item. It would've saved some time if I'd recognized the full reference when I picked the sign up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to focus my efforts on freeing Stan in this update as we aren't quite ready to take on Queen Odina just yet, although I did continue with some prep work to get ready for what's to come. I did have a tentative plan in place and tried to fine-tune things as much as possible to avoid going back and forth too much. This has been the longest chapter so far and it's not over yet. It definitely seems like we are nearing the end of it as there isn't a whole lot left to do.

Mighty Steed posted:

Just dropping in to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the Let's Play and thank you for showing all the additional content.

Thank you for your kind words!

I'm not looking forward to recording additional content for this chapter, that lure is going to be the bane of me!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm curious how the XYZZY reference played for folks in general. I'm enough of a nerd to recognize it as something from one of the early text adventure games, but not that it was a teleport spell (which I looked up afterwards). So I only figured that out when I was in the dark and it was the only usable item. It would've saved some time if I'd recognized the full reference when I picked the sign up.

To be honest, I knew it was a reference to something as it's not the first time that I've seen it but I didn't know of its origins. I did read up on it further though and I can understand it now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really enjoyed the drawbridge. Especially since I didn't notice the shape first. Someone built it, realized it didn't fit and then just took a chunk out of it so it wouldn't crush the guardpost. Stan's uniform keeping his old style was nice too.

The very beginning of the game didn't seem very promising but at this point it's definitely a decent Monkey Island game I think.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final part of the fourth chapter. Guybrush frees Stan, is crowned as the Queen of Brrr Muda, recovers all of the golden keys, finds The Secret Of Monkey Island™ and then everyone lives happily ever after!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 18, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is the final part of the fourth chapter. Guybrush frees Stan, is crowned as the Queen of Brrr Muda, recovers all of the golden keys, finds The Secret Of Monkey Island™ and then everyone lives happily ever after!

This is just pile-up after pile-up of "Meanwhile..."s, and if not for Guybrush junior, I wouldn't be surprised if the game ended with Elaine divorcing Guybrush! How she can greet him so cheerfully at the end is beyond me.

Also, a big lol that it's another chest again. But it would be quite strange if we could discover the Secret of Monkey Island on Melee Island, so it's fitting that they have to return to Monkey Island for the finale. Also, what happened with captain Lila? Did LeChuck kill her? And did she kill the male pirate leader whose name I can't remember?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 18, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies, I was in such a rush this morning I missed an / in the video link. It's fixed now.

Torrannor posted:

This is just pile-up after pile-up of "Meanwhile..."s, and if not for Guybrush junior, I wouldn't be surprised if the game ended with Elaine divorcing Guybrush! How she can greet him so cheerfully at the end is beyond me.

Also, a big lol that it's another chest again. But it would be quite strange if we could discover the Secret of Monkey Island on Melee Island, so it's fitting that they have to return to Monkey Island for the finale. Also, what happened with captain Lila? Did LeChuck kill her? And did she kill the male pirate leader whose name I can't remember?

Elaine knows exactly what Guybrush is like, she's probably just doing some damage control or fixing his mistakes. I'd like to think that Guybrush is fairly normal until an adventure comes along and he just barrels along without a second thought. She knew full well what she was getting into when she married him and that's probably why she's talking to people and cleaning up after him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think this is the longest section of the game (or maybe it just seems the way because of the number of locations), but it also feels like some bits were cut short. The contest of intelligence in particular seemed unexpectedly abrupt, pretty much boiling down to lighting a fire. I thought maybe there'd be another layer to it compared to causal mode, but nope. I wonder if some I wonder if some stuff like that got impacted by the development cycle.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
The texture on Stan's suit is trippy - it seems like a transparency layer. The texture stays in place while Stan moves over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to start recording additional footage soon but it may take a while as this is a big chapter and there's going to be a lot of messing around with the lure stories.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think this is the longest section of the game (or maybe it just seems the way because of the number of locations), but it also feels like some bits were cut short. The contest of intelligence in particular seemed unexpectedly abrupt, pretty much boiling down to lighting a fire. I thought maybe there'd be another layer to it compared to causal mode, but nope. I wonder if some I wonder if some stuff like that got impacted by the development cycle.

It's definitely been the longest so far and it hasn't overstayed it's welcome. Travelling between islands was relatively painless and despite the amount of locations feeling somewhat overwhelming at first, they weren't too much to deal with.

Terror Island did look nice aesthetically but I felt like it was slightly underwhelming, they could have done more to make it a but more terrifying.

That's interesting to note about the contest of intelligence, if anything I would have thought that they would have stripped a few layers in easy mode.

Mighty Steed posted:

The texture on Stan's suit is trippy - it seems like a transparency layer. The texture stays in place while Stan moves over it.

Stans trippy suit stems back to the first game. If i remember correctly, they had graphical limitations with the program that they were using for the graphics. Stans coat was pretty much a bug that they encountered but they thought it looked funny and kept it. They've used the same effect in every release afterwards up until now.