Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
"Fun" facts: You may have noticed that I changed a line in the lure story when I recorded the sixteenth update. I tried using the story that I established in the fifteenth update, but the Chum store owners rejected it because my original story didn't contain a mermaid.

I almost included another sequence in the contest of heartiness but decided to skip it during recording to cut down on time. You can attempt to sprinkle the demon pepper on the slimeheads while the contest is in session, but you get caught doing it because it's not exactly subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part IVa

I'm not sure at the moment how many parts there will be as this chapter of the game is big and there is quite a lot that I missed out on during the main playthrough. This part covers the start of the chapter on Mêlée and the initial exploration of the southern islands. The first clip of this video starts off with a scene that I missed out in the previous chapter, thank you to Zaroff for pointing it out. The scenes included in this part are:

That Wreck?, The Chef, LeChuck Did It, Avoiding Responsibility, The House Of Mojo, Widey Bones, The Cod's Wallop, Carla, IOU's, Conrad Lee, Elaine, Apple Bob, Extra Large Killer Ant & Ned Filigree.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have a second batch of recordings ready to go that is mostly all set in Brrr Muda with a few more scenes of Elaine on Scurvy Island. It would have been exclusively Brrr Muda but I was messing around with the pictures and Elaine is one of the characters who will interact with them.

I've discovered a bug with the picture frame and paintings. Usually, when you remove a picture from the frame it returns to your inventory but after a couple of times moving pictures in and out of the frame the individual pictures disappeared from my inventory. The only way that I can access them is through the picture frame close-up. The game even crashed to the desktop when I removed all of the pictures from the frame and was left with an empty frame and no photos in my inventory.

I'll try to fit the rest of the additional footage into one last video. I still plan to put the lure and diving segments into their own video as they're going to take a lot more work.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus videos

Additional Content - Part IVb

This video mainly takes place on Brrr Muda with a few extra scenes with Elaine on Scurvy Island. The scenes in this video are:

Scurvy Inspection Point, Guybrush Pleads Guilty!, A Social Call, Meeting Her Queenliness, Snow Contest! & Picture This!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There may be a change of plans. The next video will most likely be devoted completely to Herman Toothrot.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part IVc (A Herman Toothrot Special)

As you can probably guess from the title, this video is all about Herman Toothrot and our time spent in his abode. I had no idea how much dialogue could be triggered with Herman, I completely missed the book during the main playthrough and barely glanced at the manifesto during the main playthrough. Herman quoting from the book was an absolute delight, it made me chuckle several times. The scenes in this video are:

Primal Murmuring, At The End Of The Plank, Getting To Know The Place, Neo-Utilitarian Manifesto, Herman's Notes & The Return Of Guybrush.

Thank you for your patience with waiting for chapter five to start, I'm trying to get through these as quickly as my free time allows. I'm hoping to be done within the next few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've almost caught up again. The only parts that I need to replay now are getting the Chum Shop flag and Bella Fisher's golden key, which pretty much means that I have the lure segments and diving sequences to record. I will try to get things done this weekend if time allows me. The next additional footage video is compiled and ready to upload, I'll try to get it all done at some point tonight. You'll get to see Guybrush facing some tough questions:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video

Additional Content - Part IVd

I'm posting this now as I have some unexpected free time this morning and this processed pretty quickly. The scenes in this video are: Firestarter, Reading Material, Career Change, Guybrush Swears, Marketing Meeting, Flag Facsimile, Elaine's Interrogation, CSI: Mêlée, Progress Report, Demon Jokes, Guybrush Takes His Vows & Guybrush Abusing His Powers.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm about 95% done with recording the final video of additional footage. The most time consuming part is the Chums dialogue as I have to replay the puzzle over and over again. I need to speak to each character before anyone else, after everyone else and in the middle of everyone else. As well as speaking to everyone else in the mean time so I can trigger the unique dialogue. All that I need to do now is to replay it with leaving two more characters to the end. All of the diving sequences have been recorded already.

I've run out of time to record today, I'll try to record the final few scenes tomorrow night. If all goes well I'll start chapter five on Wednesday.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
I am excited to see what you have in store for us. The last video, especially with the marketing meeting, took a different turn from what I have chosen, and Elaine's dialogue have brought up a fair few lines I haven't heard in my two playthroughs. Looking forward to where you are taking this series.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

A slight change of plan as I underestimated how much more content there was to find and record. The chum recordings bloated beyond my original scope so I will be working on another video with extra content. I do intend to record the next update tomorrow, I'll try to plan it out tonight and record it tomorrow if I have free time. I do have a busy day tomorrow but I will try to post the next update tomorrow if the processing Gods look down nicely upon me, if not it will be up on Thursday.

Additional Content - Part IVe (Chum Special)

This video includes: Bella Fisher's Flag, Locke Smith, Yasmine Tazi, Elaine Marley, Apple Bob, Antonio Planke and the Pirate Leaders.

benjoyce posted:

I am excited to see what you have in store for us. The last video, especially with the marketing meeting, took a different turn from what I have chosen, and Elaine's dialogue have brought up a fair few lines I haven't heard in my two playthroughs. Looking forward to where you are taking this series.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the extra content. I'm quite astounded about how much variety there is in this game, it definitely adds to the replayability.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've completed a test run for the next video and it's going to be the final video in this playthrough. Chapter five is pretty short and it wasn't too hard to figure out how to get through it, I did need the hint book for one puzzle though. I'll save my thoughts on it until people have seen it.

I've been reading more about the "Writer's Cut" and I'm looking forward to playing through it and recording more content. From what I've read, not only is the more dialogue there are also new characters too. I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything with easy mode if the only differences are the puzzles.

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Part IVf

This is everything else that I could find for chapter four, it was originally going to be part of the Chum's special but that became bloated so I decided to make it a separate video. But then I triggered the scene with Odina while recording the last few scenes of the Chum's footage, I did replay the chapter to try and trigger it early so I could speak with Elaine about it but it didn't happen. While replaying the chapter I discovered that I missed out on some dialogue with Stan and then remembered that I missed out on the chapter-ending scene as well. The scenes in this video are:

Ex-Queen Odina, Stan, Fun With Flags, Deep Sea Diver and Counting To One Hundred.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the entirety of chapter five and the finale of Return To Monkey Island all in one video. This wasn't a perfect recording due to a swollen tongue and feeling a little under the weather, but it went fairly smoothly despite a couple of minor errors. I'm not going to spoil anything so I'll reserve my thoughts for now.

If you're wondering more about why they ended things the way that they did, Ron Gilbert included a letter in the scrapbook about why they went in the direction that they did. I'll hide the screenshots behind spoilers for now or you can view a direct link to them here: https://imgur.com/a/sakXHgv

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow. WOW! What an ending! I'm honestly not sure what to think about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I bloody called it!
Well, the T-shirt part anyway.

e: What the hell was the balancing banana?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 30, 2022

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Secret really was The Friends We Made Along The Way!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm mixed on the ending. I think the commentary they were going for was fine, especially in light of that writeup, but the execution doesn't work so well for me - it's just too abrupt. Even if we were never going to get a full confrontation/resolution and "real" treasure reveal, just cutting it off so suddenly like that just kicks me a bit too far out of it. Oh well, I still liked it a lot overall.

Anyways, thanks for putting in the effort to do this. It's been fun to see stuff I missed and especially the different perspective on all the puzzle solving and additional puzzles compared to my off.

And also yeah, what the hell was that balancing banana?

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
I think the banana is a reference to the spinning top at the end of Inception, keeping the reality status of the Monkey Island universe forever in superposition of itself. (There are several other ending splashes, by the way, and as RBD indicated, there is at least a major alternative outcome (which might not be THAT satisfying, but an option, nonetheless).

RedWraith
Feb 20, 2013
Wow that ending was certainly something.

They were working so hard towards some climactic event and then they end it just like that?

I feel robbed.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:psyduck:
I don't think that ending works for me.

It's just, it starts with taking that dumb joke about LeChuck's secret base in 2 being actually behind that door in Melee IslandTM, making it serious and going from there. I forgot, can you go in that side alley this game beforehand?
It's, I dunno, there's more thought than the ME3 ending and ain't that damning with faint praise. There's something the Ron & co want to say but I think it really doesn't come out.
Maybe the variations will clarify something, I'm curious about the nope.gif ending, but I dunno, I'm simply not getting it.
Overall, I think my main complaint is Guybrush never defeats LeChuck this game. LeChuck runs roughshod on Guybrush every time they meet, and then Chuck and Lila simply disappear. Where's the catharsis? The root beer? The voodoo doll? Burying him (un)alive in ice? The we don't talk about 4?

Like, they directly reference the end of 2, but that one worked. Guybrush on some level knows he's a cosplayer pretending to be a Mighty Pirate*, and that's why LeChuck's illusion//mindfuck takes hold. (well, until 3 starts)
*he's clearly managed to fake it 'til he made it

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 30, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the ending was basically that it was all a dream... or a fantasy at a some kind of theme park designed mental asylum?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh. I'm not really sure what to say on this one. It feels like there's something there, but it missed the mark to the point where I can't even really get a good feel for what it what it was going for.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I wasn't sure how they were going to end the game but I thought that the ending was fine and fit the theme of the game rather well. It did end rather abruptly though and I wasn't expecting it at all. It was a very fun adventure and a really nice nostalgia trip at the same time. I absolutely loved playing this game and I'm looking forward to diving back into it again.

The main playthrough is over but there is still more to come. There isn't a lot of additional content for this game but I'll work on it soon. I also have the Writer's Cut, Trivia Cards, Scrapbook and the secret island to work on.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
I think it was more of the guy couldn't think of a way to end it and too cheap to say so or ask for help. Or more of I need to remember to write one, not what I do for the author, and then you can see abit why he wasn't part of the other Monkey Island games.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
That everything Guybrush did came to nothing in the end doesn't make it a clever ending just because you have an in-story character complain about it, it just means you're aware that people are going to complain.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I knew as soon as I saw the alleyway that it would divide people's opinions. To be honest, I should have expected it as the final chapter in this series has a reputation for being short and going left-field. I'm quite glad that they decided to keep the secret ambiguous as I feel that they would have upset more people if they tried to bring some actual closure to the mystery. I'm also happy that they've left the game open for further adventures too. I'm also happy that this game may have also inspired another Maniac Mansion game.

I've started working on the additional footage for chapter five and I'm pleased that I've gotten the most time-consuming section out of the way. I'm unable to save during a conversation so I've had to repeat the safe opening segment repeatedly and replay the opening sequence twelve times to record all of the different conversation options between Guybrush and Elaine. I'll try to get things done within the next couple of days. I'll most likely work on the second half of the scrapbook after it's done.

RedWraith
Feb 20, 2013
I don't really care about the secret to be honest. They might as well have the chest fall into the lava.
But they were working soooo hard towards that final confrontation with LeChuck and then they just left it out!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, the theme park attraction thing kind of falls flat because the ride ends with LeChuck racing through the door after the secret with Madison and Guybrush in pursuit. That just... doesnt work as an ending for an amusement ride. If you bested them and then stepped through the door to the secret maybe it wouldn't have felt so off?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the theme park attraction thing kind of falls flat because the ride ends with LeChuck racing through the door after the secret with Madison and Guybrush in pursuit. That just... doesnt work as an ending for an amusement ride. If you bested them and then stepped through the door to the secret maybe it wouldn't have felt so off?

Yeah, very much something like that. Like I said earlier, I'm fine with the overall thing they were going for, they just went for it too early and abruptly storywise.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
It is a surprisingly abrupt end which would make me suspect production got cut short, but they put so much love and attention into the dialogue and alternative lines that doesn't seem to be the case.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Edit: I pressed post instead of preview. The video is still processing.

Double Edit: I also forgot the conversation with Guybrush Jr at the end.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 3, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

As far as I'm aware the ending was intentional. I haven't heard about any production issues and Ron Gilbert's note seems to confirm they were aiming for this. I'm not disappointed with the ending but there could have been a bridge to mark or celebrate the completion of the game\ride\experience. Although the alley was a pretty significant spot in the first two Monkey Islands there could have been something a bit more... celebratory?

Bonus Videos

There wasn't a whole lot to capture in this chapter. Most of this video is compiled of Elaine & Guybrush's conversation at the start of the chapter, the other scenes involve Flambe, Guybrush's alternate explanations about what was in the chest and the alternate ending. I also got a different sequence at the end of the credits too. I may attempt to compile them all if I can muster the patience view the credits over and over again.

Additional Content - Part V

I'll work on the scrapbook next, it shouldn't take too long as I managed to do everything needed to complete it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Double Edit: I also forgot the conversation with Guybrush Jr at the end.
Apparently his name is Boybrush? I think it's a pretty good one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Apparently his name is Boybrush? I think it's a pretty good one.

Ah yes, I remember seeing the name in the credits but it had slipped my mind when I was writing out the post.

I started casual mode in an effort to collect trivia cards for another video and it turns out that there are some unique lines of dialogue. I also didn't know that if you have ten unanswered trivia cards in your trivia book the game won't spawn any more until you answer some of them, which explains why I didn't see any more after the first chapter. I'm going to restart casual mode again and I'll use it as an opportunity to record some extra lines and to collect more cards.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the second half of the scrapbook. I'm going to work on some extra content from the easy mode next as well as collecting more trivia cards along the way.

Bonus Videos

Scrapbook - Part 2 (Memories Of The Present)

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Yesterday, upon Melée
There was an end that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish it'd go away

I'm in several minds about the ending they chose for this, and no matter how I look at it, I feel it simply wasn't enough, like it was just somehow lacking. If the game is all about analogies, the one conceivable parallel that keeps popping up seems to be George Lucas selling his company to Disney and the devs responding with 'That's it, we're done here.' Somehow, as relatable as that may be, it feels a bit shallow and not really satisfying. If they didn't have to tackle much in the way of constraints, I can't see why they didn't put in more of an effort/substance.

Anyway, thanks for the trip, Rockets.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It took until seeing it again in the scrapbook that I got the sliding face puzzle reference

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished another playthrough on easy mode, I spent more time collecting and documenting the trivia cards than anything else. I found a number of additional dialogue that is exclusively in easy mode which I'll edit together later tonight as I need a bit of a break for now. I found 64 out of 100 trivia cards during this playthrough including one to the secret location in the game. I'll probably start a new game with the Writer's Cut enabled tomorrow, I'll try to find the rest of the cards when I do.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Casual Mode

These are the main differences that I found between casual and hard mode. The scenes included here involve: Locke's Crackers, Forgiveness Frog, Jon Laney's Eyepatch, Scorched Alaska, Gullet's Poetry Book, LeChuck's Favourite Dish, Cook Book, Locke's Golden Key, Iron Rose's Key, Ned Filigree's Affidavit, Bella Fisher's Flag, Elaine's Interrogation, Monkey Statue Puzzle and Stone Slab.

It didn't matter which response you chose wh while pretending to be Ned as you didn't get any other kind of reply. I don't know why they switched around the ingredients needed for LeChuck's favourite dish in each mode as the only extra step needed was to use a knife to collect one of the ingredients, you would have encountered the squid while underwater anyway unless you had to trigger it manually by interacting with it. I'm going to assume that the stone slab gives you a different reply depending on which random configuration it gives you, I'm not going to replay the game countless amount of times to find all of the unique variations.

I also found a couple of extra lines that I missed in the main playthrough and additional content sessions too but I don't know what to do with them just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

All of the trivia cards have been recorded but it's going to take a while to compile all one hundred of them. I'm going to work on a screenshot gallery as well as a video for them. I've started a new game in hard mode with the Writer's Cut enabled, I haven't gotten too far into it just yet but I've found a couple of segments to include already. I've also found a couple of more pieces that I could include for a potential additional additional content video.