Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/9-20-psychedelic-mushroom-holiday-psilocybin-1061753/

Rolling Stone posted:

Many people likely know of 4/20 as the international cannabis holiday and 4/19, a.k.a. Bicycle Day — the anniversary of when chemist Albert Hofmann intentionally took LSD, and rode his bike through Basel, Switzerland — as the international holiday for acid. But magic mushrooms, too, have their own holiday: 9/20.

In addition to getting you high, remedying PTSD, depression, and certain kinds of headaches, mushrooms in general are pretty cool.

- Mushrooms are made of the same compounds found in arthropod exoskeletons
- Unlike plants, mushrooms need oxygen and produce carbon dioxide like animals
- The evolution of the ability to break down a plant's protective lignin largely stopped the geologic burial of carbon that formed present-day coal deposits
- Mushrooms are actually the fruit of mycelium, which is basically a network of cells under the ground!

Happy International Magic Mushroom Day! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I still haven't tried it even though I really want to, because everyone who I've talked to about it says that your first time taking them should be around a bunch of close friends who have done it before & are doing it at the same time or else you'll freak out and I haven't found that exact perfect situation yet.

There's also the fact that I don't know where to get any. :shrug:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
:peanut::peanut::peanut:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping that research continues to be done on things like treating PTSD, aside from all the other good things Mushrooms do.
I dont have the patience for psychedelics, sadly, but as a defence mechanism, (if thats what it turns out to be) its wiiiild.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
How come you posted an amanita pantherina and not a psilocybe cubensis or panaeolus cyanaescans?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I still haven't tried it even though I really want to, because everyone who I've talked to about it says that your first time taking them should be around a bunch of close friends who have done it before & are doing it at the same time or else you'll freak out and I haven't found that exact perfect situation yet.

I've tripped hundreds of times and only a handful have been around people. I actually prefer tripping alone and in the dark. Maybe I'm wired differently, but honestly if you started small you could just do it solo. If you've had an edible, in smaller amounts it's basically Weed 2 :)

:buddy:

staberind posted:

I'm hoping that research continues to be done on things like treating PTSD, aside from all the other good things Mushrooms do.
I dont have the patience for psychedelics, sadly, but as a defence mechanism, (if thats what it turns out to be) its wiiiild.

Cubes all but cured my PTSD-- went from panic attacks and flashbacks 3-4 times per week to 0. I attribute probably 80% of this progress to the introduction of psilocybin in the last year of my therapy. Up until February, I've been going to therapy twice per week for five years-- I do not advocate using any substance, prescription or otherwise, as a supplement for therapy! However the results are undeniable in my case. :)

Nigmaetcetera posted:

How come you posted an amanita pantherina and not a psilocybe cubensis or panaeolus cyanaescans?

Here are some my friend just grew :)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

This really depends where you live, but there is a whole online grey market for this stuff. Like actually professional and reliable retailers, it's not shady stuff. Don't need to send bitcoins to Russians on the dark web or whatever the gently caress.

It's the company taking the risk, nobody cares about the buyer (depending on where you are again).

You don't even have to eat actual mushrooms, which I find gross in any form, magic or not. You can get chocolates and all kinds of things with psilocybin in them with a measured amount.

But yeah, first time it's good to have someone else around if you can, like any drug before you understand it and how it works with you. But you don't need to blast yourself out into outer space tripping right away either. Just take a tiny bit, go from there another day if you find it interesting or helpful.

It's like with LSD (which you can also buy and have mailed now, location depending) that there is basically no abuse potential, there is a reason you never hear about mushroom addicts or whatever. If you actually trip balls you are like "okay that was kind of cool and weird but I don't want to do that again for awhile or ever again."

And there is the microdosing thing where you don't even trip at all.

Anyway, try psychedelics if you want, carefully and safely. Only get one go on this rock. Might as well see what it has to offer before it's lights out.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The Butcher posted:

It's like with LSD (which you can also buy and have mailed now, location depending) that there is basically no abuse potential, there is a reason you never hear about mushroom addicts or whatever. If you actually trip balls you are like "okay that was kind of cool and weird but I don't want to do that again for awhile or ever again."

I have never, ever thought anything even remotely similar to that after tripping.

The Butcher posted:

Anyway, try psychedelics if you want, carefully and safely. Only get one go on this rock. Might as well see what it has to offer before it's lights out.

Don't listen to him! Being careful and safe are for filthy anorgasmic normies!

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 20, 2022

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I could never get my cubensis to grow very much i don't have a green thumb but was able to get several oz after a couple months of trial and error, would definitely try growing again in a better setup.

Made some pretty good psycho tea out of it though! I will say if you're going to start trying psychs be around people, unlike me when I did 4 hits of LSD alone the night before a huge camping trip with family.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Be cautious of anyone who says you shouldn't be alone.

Those are the people who can't be alone with their thoughts, and it's sad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Solo trips are a journey unto themselves

But to be quite honest, if im tripping hard enough the fundamental assumptions about reality have changed, i am already more or less tripping solo no matter how many people I'm around

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Be cautious of anyone who says you shouldn't be alone.

Those are the people who can't be alone with their thoughts, and it's sad.

I think there are two things there, if you are trying something out the first time or so it's good to have someone around who knows about it and understands what it's like

They don't need to be watching you like a babysitter. But just around and available, kind and protective.

But the other thing about the people who can't be alone with their thoughts... Yeah. It's not going to go well for them. The sorts of people who always have to be doing -something- at all times. I'm not a brain doctor and can't really give more insight, but I think everyone knows those types. They also can't meditate.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I came pretty close to ordering one of those grow kits last year lol

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I came pretty close to ordering one of those grow kits last year lol

Grow kits are by and large a huge waste of money and require just as much investment, research, and diligence as putting things together yourself tbh

That said, it’s extremely rewarding and you feel like a scientist or something which is p dope

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I ate a king oyster mushroom from hmart. Was ver delicious, would recommend.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Mushrooms unexpectedly shook me out of the worst depressive episode of my life so I take em once annually to stay level. They're incredible. One dose then a couple of weeks later I felt like myself again. I didn't even expect or seek any sort of cure or result, they were offered to me and I just took them out of curiosity.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

When I have mixed or depressive episodes (I’m bpii) or a really chaotic week or feel super burned I’ll take like 0.8g and it will immediately hard-reset my entire mood and make me euthymic and refreshed. I’ve been doing this for years, life is objectively the best it’s been :)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I got a bag of leftovers from a few years ago. Popped a couple caps this summer and they were still potent as gently caress.

Will probably just snack on them every few months until they’re gone.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i did shrooms once, i vomited a whole bunch and knew death was certain but also enjoyed the beginning and end of it. overall think it was a positive experience

not sure i'd do them again but i don't regret it at all

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I read that a lot of first time users don't remember the experience they have with either psilocybin (dried psychoactive mushrooms, eaten), or 5-MeO-DMT (dried psychoactive toad venom, smoked). That puts me off... what's the point then?

Would reducing the dosage help with this?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
tripping alone is fun, you go for walks and play videogames and you don't have to worry about if anyone else is vibing with you. If the idea makes you nervous then just have a friend on call who isn't doing anything that day if poo poo gets too heavy. But, honestly, the poo poo getting heavy is the best part even tho it's a little scary sometimes.

I haven't tripped in years though and don't plan to. I don't feel like I need it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bula Vinaka posted:

I read that a lot of first time users don't remember the experience they have with either psilocybin (dried psychoactive mushrooms, eaten), or 5-MeO-DMT (dried psychoactive toad venom, smoked). That puts me off... what's the point then?

You definitely will remember the first time you do shrooms / DMT

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Coming up is always scary for me. I’m sure it is for most people too—Not really knowing how hard you’re going to trip until it’s happening.

When I finally hit the peak and plateau, I then usually have to very actively keep myself bouncing from setting to setting and topic to topic to keep myself from focusing on anything unpleasant. The worst for me is the “body energy” that you can feel coursing all over you. I just try to focus on anything but that. Sober, I am very hyperfocused on my body and have spent many years of therapy being able to not constantly focus on my own latent body functions. Tripping makes this very difficult for me.

My favorite part of a trip is always when the come-down begins. That’s usually when the body energy goes away, and I get a nice warm glow and can totally relax. Visuals have mostly ended by this point, but my mind still feels like it’s at the circus.

I wish I could learn to enjoy the plateau a little more because that’s where you can spend the majority of a trip sometimes. Open to suggestions.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The first time I did mushrooms, I stared at the popcorn ceiling in my college apartment and it was AMAZING

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Bula Vinaka posted:

The trip is not the point for me. Trips are fun or merely boring most of the time, sometimes heavily emotional or revelatory, but it's the long-lived feeling of relief without anxiety afterword that motivates me to take them.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Walls and regular patterns are so neat to look at, just watch them melt and have weird thoughts. But the best are night skies if you got em

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

The trip is not the point for me. Trips are fun or merely boring most of the time, sometimes heavily emotional or revelatory, but it's the long-lived feeling of relief without anxiety afterword that motivates me to take them.

yeah this was my favorite part, the days and weeks afterward were distinctly chill for me

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Aaaarrrgh hurry up and pick those, theyre just sucking up precious moisture at this point. :choco:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The first time I did mushrooms, I stared at the popcorn ceiling in my college apartment and it was AMAZING

I would do a full FOMO freak out if I didn’t have a coffee cup full of sharpened pencils.

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I had to lie across the legs of three people in the back of a Mazda 323, possibly also a person in the boot, the first time mushrooms kicked in.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I just ate a whole portobello and im TRIPPIJLN BALLS

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm going to the city tomorrow and will meet my buddy from cult that will hook me up with a couple bars that he makes and sells. 6g per, might eat half a one at the beach this weekend but not sure

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

X JAKK posted:

Aaaarrrgh hurry up and pick those, theyre just sucking up precious moisture at this point. :choco:

It was my friend’s meme bag grow for some bacterially contaminated spawn, usually people harvest before the veil tears— though when you produce shitloads of cubes, people like to see the caps open for aesthetic haha

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I did dmt and saw a river of dead babies in my old apartments popcorn ceiling

It was bad

Did mushrooms on a trip to angel island. It was gooooood. However there's a trail that is about half a mile that felt like 15 miles of the vegitation slowing closing in on me

Zide door Oakland folks. Join the church and eat your teacher

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

tripping alone is fun, you go for walks and play videogames and you don't have to worry about if anyone else is vibing with you. If the idea makes you nervous then just have a friend on call who isn't doing anything that day if poo poo gets too heavy. But, honestly, the poo poo getting heavy is the best part even tho it's a little scary sometimes.

I haven't tripped in years though and don't plan to. I don't feel like I need it.

you ever trip balls in buccleuch park?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The only thing I regret from doing a shitload of stuff when I was younger is the HPPD. But it's just sort of annoying sometimes, not an actual disability.

It's like "okay carpet/wallpaper pattern, you look trippy, good for you I guess, whatever."

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

god I wish I had some. It's been a very long week.

grats to all who celebrate

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Always Be Growing Mushrooms

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

tripping is great and i hope to do it soon!!! anyone who trip indoors i recommend the three hours of electric sheep fractals on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i gotta be outside on mushrooms - if i'm looking at a screen or something, i start thinking about how much i stare at screens and then i get in my head and depressed

also, one thing i don't like about mushrooms is how hyper aware i get of having a body and how gross it is. ie, ear wax, mucus, dead skin, sweat, cuticles, my nuts - just wanna jump out out of my skin sometimes