Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

There is already a modern remake of Groundhog Day with Tom Cruise. It had power armor and aliens in it IIRC. Can't recall the name

Damnitall. My version would be funnier, and have 100% less Tom Cruise in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
I would say Memento, but they kinda already did that with 50 First Dates, and Finding Dory, to a certain extent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

The Last Starfighter

not that the first one is such a cinematic masterpiece that it cannot be revisited, more that anything they make in TYOOL 2022 will be absolute poo poo

My understanding of the situation is that the reason there hasn't been any reboot or sequel to The Last Starfighter is because one person controls the rights to the story and refuses to do that poo poo.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

star wars and it's inevitable.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SRQ posted:

star wars and it's inevitable.

i will not, in fact, lose it if they reboot the star wars

if it were not for SuperMechagodzilla's posts about it then my memories of the entire franchise would have congealed into one big soup of ejaculating lightsabers

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Baby. Geniuses.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GABA ghoul posted:

There is already a modern remake of Groundhog Day with Tom Cruise. It had power armor and aliens in it IIRC. Can't recall the name

Edge of Tommorrow/Live Die Repeat. It actually is a pretty great movie but not at all a remake of groundhog day outside of the premise of a guy who wakes up the day before whenever he dies

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Nope. i just saw it like last week why remake it so soon?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

GABA ghoul posted:

Back to the future. Most of the jokes are about excessive smartphones & social media usage. There is an avocado joke where some grumpy 90s dad asks what that is. Someone complains about Marty's work ethics and him having tattoos. There will be huge a RL social media outrage about Doc Brown being played by a black actor. A nazi incel will do a mass shooting at the cinema premiere, 14 people dead, 8 wounded(3 of which in critical condition). Trump will post on alt-twitter about it

Pretty sure Zemeckis was smart enough to put a stipulation in his contract about the BttF trilogy that says absolutely no one can remake the movies in his lifetime, which is good. You know Hollywood is gonna announce a remake before Zemeckis’s fresh corpse reaches room temperature, though.

Gonna throw out another Miloš Forman Film, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Posted about Louise Fletcher in her obit thread that she deserved that Oscar for portraying Nurse Ratched. I know there’s a prequel Netflix show about her and they can have that; just leave the 1975 film alone.

Also, An American Werewolf in London. It’s a pioneer in the horror comedy genre, in practical body horror effects and makeup, and is probably the very first horror film I fell in love with as a small child. Barring the Landises shittiness, it’s a perfect film. It created the “Thriller” video and influenced Edgar Wright’s films, who has called it a masterpiece. Shaun of the Dead is easily on the same witty level, and Hot Fuzz even has a slightly altered “I can assure you this is not in the least bit amusing.” line spoken by Angel. Several efforts have been made to remake it, and the project has always fallen apart. Good. Leave it that way.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 26, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

They did that. It's called the Qur'an and it was objectively superior

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Indiana Jones.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is about as perfect an action movie as you can fine, Temple of Doom is still pretty fun, and Last Crusade is almost as good as Raiders. Crystal Skull was bad but at least you had Harrison Ford in it, so there was SOMETHING of interest there.

A new Indiana Jones would either lean way too much into comedy or way too much into action and make Indy an unstoppable badass. Either way, it'd probably be Chris Pratt in the role.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

*Chris Pratt doing the Jurassic World calming hands gesture to a bunch of nazis, who promptly shoot him*

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

*Chris Pratt doing the Jurassic World calming hands gesture to a bunch of nazis, who promptly shoot him*

ok hear me out

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Indiana Jones.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is about as perfect an action movie as you can fine, Temple of Doom is still pretty fun, and Last Crusade is almost as good as Raiders. Crystal Skull was bad but at least you had Harrison Ford in it, so there was SOMETHING of interest there.

A new Indiana Jones would either lean way too much into comedy or way too much into action and make Indy an unstoppable badass. Either way, it'd probably be Chris Pratt in the role.

agreed broadly to this post, and i think lucas succeeded in making a better james bond film. raiders is one of the best action adventures ever made. temple of doom does not hold up however and last i watched it a couple years ago i was shocked at how bad it was lol. last crusade is good still

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Edge of Tommorrow/Live Die Repeat. It actually is a pretty great movie but not at all a remake of groundhog day outside of the premise of a guy who wakes up the day before whenever he dies

How is it not a remake? What's different about the movies except the actors and the time period they are set in?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You Are A Elf posted:

A modern Hollywood action movie would never have a scene as perfect as Indy shooting the sword guy after the fancy sword spinning.

Chris Pratt Indy would either toss his gun away and engage in an elaborate sword fight or shoot the guy and then quip something about not bringing a sword to a gun fight.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A Fancy Hat posted:

A modern Hollywood action movie would never have a scene as perfect as Indy shooting the sword guy after the fancy sword spinning.

Chris Pratt Indy would either toss his gun away and engage in an elaborate sword fight or shoot the guy and then quip something about not bringing a sword to a gun fight.

everything is booooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
everything is dull when it's on the big screen

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Call Your Grandma posted:

Both Dollar movies could easily be redone. Good stories but a lot of the production values could easily be updated and Clint Eastwood is a garbage man so who gives a poo poo about his legacy.

A Fistful of Dollars was already a remake of Yojimbo, and it was remade again in the '90s as Last Man Standing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i remember liking last man standing well enough at the time but i rewatched it more recently and what a dull slog

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
irreversible

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kntfkr posted:

irreversible

It’s pretty much Blonde

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

:barf:

GABA ghoul posted:

How is it not a remake? What's different about the movies except the actors and the time period they are set in?

It's a completely different story and genre? The only thing in common is a timeloop mechanic.

The movie Palm Springs is more of a reimagining of Groundhog Day.

Edit:

A Fancy Hat posted:

Nah, he'd just run away goofily (with that chris pratt oh poo poo exaggerated look) while sword-guy chases him until something wacky happens to sword-guy involving the wilhelm scream.

itry fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 26, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

itry posted:

:barf:

It's a completely different story and genre? The only thing in common is a timeloop mechanic.

It's a spiritual sequel. Not every detail is exactly the same(there is no groundhog), but the overall themes are 1:1 the same and so is the message.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the real sequel to groundhog day is the TNG episode where they keep playing the same poker game over and over

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You Are A Elf posted:

You know that hand gesture bears a striking similarity to one the Nazis are fond of. It might just work!

Doris, get Spielberg on the phone!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bad Purchase posted:

the real sequel to groundhog day is the TNG episode where they keep playing the same poker game over and over

that episode owns so hard

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The neverending story. So much of the charm is the hokey practical effects and synthy soundtrack. I don’t want to see that modernized.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

remigious posted:

The neverending story. So much of the charm is the hokey practical effects and synthy soundtrack. I don’t want to see that modernized.

they already made a modern version:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Surprised Explorers hasn't been remade. The time might have been during the Harry Potter movie era if they were wanting to go with a preteen audience, or early 2010s if they were thinking of aging up the characters a bit into more high school age if they were wanting some of that latter Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games teen audience.

Seems like an easy enough concept to mutate for a modern remake/audience though. While the first movie has something of an 80s/90s cable nostalgia, I think it's also mostly been forgotten or overlooked in the last 20 years to the point it'd be pretty much 'new' to a huge audience. There are things that aren't really the focal point of the film that a remake could explore (no pun intended) more.

The only way I think it could work would be if Rob Zombie directed it. The smart kid is from a family of former Nazi scientists who once captured an alien and dissected it. The troubled kid is being graphically abused by his meth-dealing father. The dreaming kid having to score drugs off the troubled kid to hit the higher levels of consciousness to have the dreams that reveal the plans for the alien spaceship.

God, no, that'd be horrible.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Has anyone said Biker Mice from Mars or Street Sharks yet?

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
Freddy Got Fingered.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
For real they better leave What about Bob alone.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MaliciousBiz posted:

Freddy Got Fingered.

There's no way. No way they would try this.

No.

I refuse.

I am building my flat earth where this cannot happen in orbit around Neptune and I'm living there

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Back in the glory days of Bravo, they used to have a Rik Mayall series that had relatively short 45min-60min movie called "Briefest Encounter" they'd air from time to time that I really liked, but I always felt it was just in need of a rewrite to make some of the story flow better and flesh it out to a longer 90 minute film. However, I know at the same time the content of the story from pretty much start to finish would be extremely difficult to pull off in modern media without it being extremely controversial at almost every single level.

A bit of trivia that I sometimes have to tell people is that "Adventures In Babysitting" got a remake about a decade ago, though. If that was your lose it movie, I'm sorry, it's already been rebooted.

In any case, I think just about all the cult favorites have been sequeled, rebooted, remade, or reimagined by this point. I'm sure there's hope for a "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead" could probably get remade if they haven't done so already.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Back to the Future.

2022 -> 1992. You know there's a script somewhere, and it has a lot of kids-on-their-phone/hoverboard jokes.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I actually wouldn't be a huge enemy of this, but do reboots of actually old things. Of "classy" and "artistic" things.

Reboot Kramer vs Kramer. Or The Graduate. Citizen Kane could cast Ryan Gosling. Or do The Magnificent Ambersons, but don't "as Orson Welles said, edit it "with a lawnmower".

Why are we keeping it English language? Maybe modern CGI would do the robot lady from Metropolis justice? Battleship Potemkin, but you can make the lion statue actually get up and roar. Redo Last Year at Marienbad, but give it a story. Modern audiences haven't heard of The World of Apu, so remake Satyajit Ray's classic as an animated film, and rope in your modern Simpsons fans due to the name alone.

And so on and so forth.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Dinosaurs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Back in the glory days of Bravo, they used to have a Rik Mayall series that had relatively short 45min-60min movie called "Briefest Encounter" they'd air from time to time that I really liked, but I always felt it was just in need of a rewrite to make some of the story flow better and flesh it out to a longer 90 minute film.

Holy poo poo, You just knocked free a forgotten memory of watching Grim Tales with Rik Mayall on Bravo back in the early ‘90s. The man really knew how to host and narrate a story with a childlike glee while still keeping it fun for all ages, and the stop-motion animated bits were always something else :allears:

Speaking of Rik Mayall, Hollywood better leave Drop Dead Fred the gently caress alone :nixon:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Anyone said Goatse? :goatsecx:

We have the classic, no need for reboots, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ikanreed posted:

Dinosaurs

Given how the series ended that’d be some The Heart, She Holler kinds of craven depravity