Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

any time glasses are completely opaque rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Also when the glasses go from opaque to clear so you finally see the character's eyes. Or when they take off the glasses for the first time many episodes in

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yamcha pose or Akira slide in anything other than an action anime

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

When people talk in Japanese and suddenly throw in 'cool' english phrases.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

What's everyone's favourite pushing up the glasses technique

Two fingers to the noseridge is a classic, also partial to going with one side

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Revolving/Pile bunkers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Revolving/Pile bunkers.

Mecha that are thinly veiled admirations of construction and demolition heavy machinery

Sometimes transport, too

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the sex ghost posted:

What's everyone's favourite pushing up the glasses technique

With a stand

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Taking them off to reveal another of set of glasses already pushed up

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

Ojousama characters. Ohohohoooo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Glasses are really versatile. First, you can have glasses-wearing girls take them off and suddenly become beautiful, or have girls wearing glasses flashing those cute grins, or have girls stealing the protagonist's glasses and putting them on like, "Haha, got your glasses!" That's just way too cute! Also, boys with glasses! I really like when their glasses have that suspicious looking gleam, and it's amazing how it can look really cool or just be a joke. I really like how it can fulfill all those abstract needs. Being able to switch up the styles and colors of glasses based on your mood is a lot of fun too! It's actually so much fun! You have those half rim glasses, or the thick frame glasses, everything! It's like you're enjoying all these kinds of glasses at a buffet.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

When an antagonist realizes the honor inherent in the heroes' actions and sacrifices themselves to redeem their previous actions.

too bad that in Nadesico, it was entirely unwarranted and a tragic end to an arc although it was still a notable tribute to Gai's memory

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

When two individuals, separated by space (and sometimes by time), but experiencing the same feeling (like awe, or longing, or loneliness, or confidence) and are both looking out into a landscape or a sunset or whatever.

And the anime shows the two individuals together, because they are sharing this intimate moment, despite the distance

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gap moe

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

for example, that kind of gap moe where there's a leader that you'd follow to the ends of the earth and to hell and back but also you just want to pat them on the head and give them a cookie and remind them to continue believing in themselves

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when they animate people making takoyaki real fast like a pro

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when they animate people eating takoyaki and it's too hot so they try to blow on it while it's in their mouth or something equally weird but they eventually get it down and they take a breath of satisfaction

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When the girl eats a lot. It’s the best

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

characters that are bumbling idiots doing stuff at random while everyone around them tries to outmanoeuvre this absolute gigabrain genius who's ten steps ahead of everyone else, their machinations unknowable, their plots sinister, their grand plans... i'm running out of synonyms or whatever they're called but they're dumb and everyone else thinks there's higher meaning to their actions but actually they're just hungry or need to poop or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

unironic "all according to keikaku" scenes

hell the ironic ones too

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

unironic "all according to keikaku" scenes

hell the ironic ones too

Early 2000s* fan subs** with more annotations than dialogue***

* Period of time between 2000-2009
** Subtitles
*** Characters talking

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i do miss getting japanese culture fun facts in my anime

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq9WJM-LiWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3bhtRzwOk

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The post episode comedy skit

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
When a fatal blow is about to strike a heroic character, at the last minute an ally who wasn't previously in the scene parries the attack. poo poo goes back to the Mahabharata/Illiad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when a character uses iai seemingly to no effect, and then stuff falls into pieces once the sword goes back into the scabbard.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when a character suddenly goes from a fighting stance to a relaxed stance and suddenly everything explodes, and then there's a replay where every tank in a one mile radius was suplexed into the ground in the span of the blink of an eye.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when the cast gazes into the sunset, and the smiling visage of a fond but departed character is superimposed on the landscape, while the soundtrack uses a slower, more stirring rendition of an existing track with like strings or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when someone pulls a hammer out of nowhere and smashes the head of someone of impure mind or action

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When it turns out that my posts were correct. Happens more often than you’d think and yet people doubt

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
When there's so many little background text gags that it makes the fansubbers tear their hair out and the official subs just don't bother

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Absurd pun-based names that nobody knows if they're translatable or not

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The protagonist telling their opponent to brace themselves because they don't know if they can control their new move.

The protagonist telling the villain they don't want to fight here because they don't want their friends to see their power.

When a villain says something to knowingly set off the protagonist who is then instantly at their throat at maximum power, with no charging up or incantations or anything.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

chumbler posted:

When a villain says something to knowingly set off the protagonist who is then instantly at their throat at maximum power, with no charging up or incantations or anything.

ah, a kurapika moment.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Spry old mentor character: hehe impressive. Not many ppl actually pull it off in just three days.

Protag, on the ground, exhausted, verge of death: real poo poo?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah craters are pretty good
When the mecha lands making a crater, but the rocks that were displaced float and hover for a few seconds.

Maybe the 'camera' shakes around as well.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tarezax posted:

When there's so many little background text gags that it makes the fansubbers tear their hair out and the official subs just don't bother
I'm old, I remember Pani Poni Dash fansubs just having a .txt file that had all of the translator notes because that show had bunches of 1 second jokes on the chalkboards.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was the same way. Just constant throw away gags on the margins. But I also really liked that the fansubbers made character bios at the end of the episode set to "Don't worry, be happy"

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Crescent-shaped sword projectiles made of weird lasers or compressed air or ghost stuff that cut things from afar and get in shoving matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When an ultimate attack hides the target in a giant cloud of dust and onlookers say "nobody could have survived that!" and then as the dust clears it turns out...they did.