Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervLrKJzNw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3676676863021528148

++ Era, Finii, Rune, Octavia, X
-- Dubu, Zentaro

++ Powerhouse Pauldrons, Egotist, Fire Up!, Hotshot

Not sure how I feel about these changes. I really didn't think Era needed buffs, and they seem to be doing the same thing with Finii they did with Luna (vastly overcompensating on damage to "make up" for her skillshots)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My problem with Finii is sometime I forget that I just used her primary and i kick the ball straight into the goal.

Or another way to put it is that her primary is the most "controller aim" move in the game and then her secondary and special are awful to use on controller.

Very lol that they buffed Era's secondary, PP and HS, three things that I felt almost guilty using against other players.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Starting to come around on Octavia a bit, though she's definitely inconsistent. She feels like a classic "hard carry" from traditional MOBAs - weak early game, strong late game, if you can get some decent gear on her then she can snowball out of control. Basically every awakening you pick needs to somehow work toward buffing your secondary - whether that's buff time / potency, movespeed, CDR, or if you're really desperate buffing your primary so it'll be easier to refresh your secondary using it.

Finii is weird but a lot of fun, I've been picking her a lot. It's great fun sniping someone from across the map with her primary. Vs Finii though, it comes out so fast and can be so hard to see that sometimes it kills me and I have NO clue what happened, just walking along and suddenly I'm dead. The game really needs some kind of death recap or something, especially for new players it can be very difficult to tell what exactly killed you - especially because sometimes you can get knocked off even at full health.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

can't loving believe they buffed Finii, lmao. she's really strong already

i think the game should teach new players a bit harder that you can randomly die to anything when you are too close to the edge, it took some time to learn the lesson of "anything kills you if you are near a border/the hole in aimi's app"

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i think the game should teach new players a bit harder that you can randomly die to anything when you are too close to the edge, it took some time to learn the lesson of "anything kills you if you are near a border/the hole in aimi's app"

game does a bad job teaching the fundamental theory of the sport in general. Like don't pass to enemies just to get the ball away, strike last, forwards have more utility when they're in the middle or enemy half of the map than by acting as a second goalie, and so on. I dunno what the new player experience is nowadays but I would be surprised if the tutorial touched anything but raw mechanics, terms and controls

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They really should teach those basics in the tutorial.
It's not that bad when you get to Gold but anything below is very painful, especially if you're a Goalie and is unable to carry the game because of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

game does a bad job teaching the fundamental theory of the sport in general. Like don't pass to enemies just to get the ball away, strike last, forwards have more utility when they're in the middle or enemy half of the map than by acting as a second goalie, and so on. I dunno what the new player experience is nowadays but I would be surprised if the tutorial touched anything but raw mechanics, terms and controls

It touches on just raw mechanics. Which TBH is probably the better move, because you have to do it before you play and most of the time I'm introducing a new player they get kind of annoyed at having to go through a mandatory tutorial while me and another player are in a lobby just kind of quietly waiting in the discord.

A game I played recently that did what I think most games should do but ESPECIALLY Omega Strikers since its not "another tactical shooter/battle royale" is Mechabellum. It's an autobattler, but the way the training is done could be inspiration for OS or honestly almost any game. It's a menu that looks like this (it goes a little bit longer but its more than one page)

Don't worry about the details or the visuals, just the general lay out and the specifity of topics. If you go across the top, you cover very basic mechanics, like 1.1 is your traditional "click to move" type tutorial. But as you go down in the same column, the tutorials (which are like 2 minutes each) build on the previous one into actual strategy. Click to move leads into positioning theory. Purchasing units leads into composition. How to research leads into research synergy. 2.3 is a particularly fascinating one because the "group" there is a common composition that players use in competitive play, and the game very confidently tells you "this is something you're going to encounter when ranking, you should learn, in this tutorial, how to defeat it."

Its a little tough to figure out how you would do this in OS. An autobattler or RTS can be made VERY predictable and scripted, while an action sport its kind of hard to make the AIs predictably react in the same stupid ways to player action. Short videos in game would probably be the best? I don't think a 3rd party solution works mostly because we already have a ton of 3rd party video sets that people have made for "here's how to get better at omega" and the problem is that they will only reach players who are the type of person to look up youtube videos on the theory of games they already play.

And I think OS would be quite good for it. Sonii I think would be a great narrator for "the goalie wants to pass the ball, but the forwards aren't open! Here's a better way" and "if your opponents have been trying to KO you already, you can make their life harder by just playing a little further from the wall, like so." Could even make a second person who would serve as a goofus to Sonii's gallant (or existing characters - Juno comes across as confused very easily, a frustrated X going "SONII, WHY CAN'T I FINISH MY KO'S" would be funny).

The problem is that the OS devs really do seem pretty narrowly focused on a handful of things to improve their game and only VERY begrudgingly do things like "tutorials" or "practice modes" or "small aesthetic improvements." They really just want to make the basic game quality better and introduce new cute strikers with interesting move sets and skins that would be minimum Legendary-tier in any other game I play, and other things like cheaper skins or practice modes they seem to treat as annoyances, possibly even intrusions on their artistic sensibilities.

Anyway IDK i went on a bit there but I could probably make a suggestion like this on their discord (not that I'm big there or anything, but they do have a formal "make suggestions" system that has a much better chance than "the OS devs randomly read the SA thread for their game and listen to us")

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could always make "advanced" tutorial mandatory only for competitive. Letting people who just want to jump in with their friends do that in other game modes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I dunno what the new player experience is nowadays but I would be surprised if the tutorial touched anything but raw mechanics, terms and controls

I have basically given up on quickplay and normals because probably more than half the time I get an obviously new player who just drifts across the field not doing much of anything. They end up begging for passes because no one's giving them the puck (because they won't do anything with it) and they won't fight the enemy either. Invariably they finish the match at like level 2-4.

Not fun for me, not fun for the others in the game, not fun for them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thoughts on Vyce as a goalie?
I assumed that it wouldn't work at first but I've had a few matches recently against Goalie Vyces and they seemed to do fairly well, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting goalie options.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Jack Trades posted:

Thoughts on Vyce as a goalie?
I assumed that it wouldn't work at first but I've had a few matches recently against Goalie Vyces and they seemed to do fairly well, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting goalie options.

Goalie Vyce is really strong. The pressure she can put on the enemy team with her small circle stun, combined with the ability to jump forward and eject button back, means she has a lit more ability to make a difference on the other side of the field. When you add on the fact that her zap projectile is very good at pushing the puck past opponents thanks to the lingering electric, along with the gigantic AoE denial of her ult, you have someone with a lot of options for clearing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

curiousCat posted:

Goalie Vyce is really strong. The pressure she can put on the enemy team with her small circle stun, combined with the ability to jump forward and eject button back, means she has a lit more ability to make a difference on the other side of the field. When you add on the fact that her zap projectile is very good at pushing the puck past opponents thanks to the lingering electric, along with the gigantic AoE denial of her ult, you have someone with a lot of options for clearing.

Sounds neat.
Any recommendations on what Awakenings she wants most as a Goalie?
I'm assuming Eject Button is mandatory.

EDIT: Do any of the Awakenings increase the range on her Secondary?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay drat, I did some matches as Goalies Vyce and she feels good to play.
Her moveset solves the biggest frustration I have as a Goalie, not being able to do anything useful when everyone is on the opposite side of the field.

She's also a lot more forgiving than I thought. I figured that a bad Special on the opposite side of the field will just result in a goal against me but no, I often have enough time to Eject Button back and defend the goal against my own fuckup.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

Okay drat, I did some matches as Goalies Vyce and she feels good to play.
Her moveset solves the biggest frustration I have as a Goalie, not being able to do anything useful when everyone is on the opposite side of the field.

There's a few goalies who have that ability. I'd even say that overall goalies fall into 3 categories: tight goalies eg atlas, extensive goalies eg luna, and please don't eg X. Luna, Juno, Era, Kai, AiMi, Vyce are all great goalies at exerting pressure into the midfield (or further)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds neat.
Any recommendations on what Awakenings she wants most as a Goalie?
I'm assuming Eject Button is mandatory.

EDIT: Do any of the Awakenings increase the range on her Secondary?

Awakenings that increase blink range will work on Vyce's secondary. My favourite one for her is Super Surge, since that also makes it hit harder. Extra Special can be valuable for making sure you have as many casts as possible available, and then it usually depends on the map. For larger maps, speed increases like Peak Performance and Stacks on Stacks can really help make sure you're where you need to be while still keeping that secondary available. Deadeye is good if you're consistently trying to make plays on the other side of the map, and Heavy Impact makes everything hit harder and rewards when you hit 2 or more enemies with a cd reduction of 25% -- and her primary automatically chains to nearby targets.

Also I have rarely gone Strike Shot on her, when you really just need to make sure the puck doesn't get to you and nothing else.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

I wanted to start playing Competitive for better games, but the game starts you off at the lowest possible MMR, and it takes forever to climb, even with a 100% winrate.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

urea posted:

I wanted to start playing Competitive for better games, but the game starts you off at the lowest possible MMR, and it takes forever to climb, even with a 100% winrate.

It's pretty annoying yea. I've played a few comp games and there's really kind of two methods, placement matches vs climb from the bottom. I think, but am not sure, that the placement matches method may just not scale properly down to smaller player bases, which makes sense because when player base gets small matchmaking gets more challenging in general. But the climb from the bottom, as you mentioned, is a slog, and it "works" if you're a really really dedicated player but otherwise IDK. I like OS a lot but I think I'm still too much of a casual to really get all that far in it.

To me in OS it feels like the "actual" midpoint is somewhere in gold, possibly plat: when I was climbing ranks to get the season achievement I was close to a 50/50 win/lose rate, but I was consistently going up because I'd gain something like 30 points on a win and lose 10 points on a loss, so if I played 10 matches and won five lost five it wouldn't be +0 points it would be +100 points. This creates a natural escalator effect, and at some point its gotta level out (I already noticed it getting more level as I played, but never hit anywhere near even), but that seems like an intentional drive to sort players "toward" some rank that's WELL above rookie or bronze.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Tulip posted:

It's pretty annoying yea. I've played a few comp games and there's really kind of two methods, placement matches vs climb from the bottom. I think, but am not sure, that the placement matches method may just not scale properly down to smaller player bases, which makes sense because when player base gets small matchmaking gets more challenging in general. But the climb from the bottom, as you mentioned, is a slog, and it "works" if you're a really really dedicated player but otherwise IDK. I like OS a lot but I think I'm still too much of a casual to really get all that far in it.

To me in OS it feels like the "actual" midpoint is somewhere in gold, possibly plat: when I was climbing ranks to get the season achievement I was close to a 50/50 win/lose rate, but I was consistently going up because I'd gain something like 30 points on a win and lose 10 points on a loss, so if I played 10 matches and won five lost five it wouldn't be +0 points it would be +100 points. This creates a natural escalator effect, and at some point its gotta level out (I already noticed it getting more level as I played, but never hit anywhere near even), but that seems like an intentional drive to sort players "toward" some rank that's WELL above rookie or bronze.

I think in most games the first games you play are weighted higher to make mmr converge faster, and this works even if you start at the bottom. Since rookie competitive games aren't fun enough for me to want to grind them out, I haven't played enough competitive games to be able to tell if this is how it's implemented in OS, or any other quirks, e.g. some games have the rank be a separate number that kinda smoothly rubber bands towards the real internal mmr which can change more erratically (which could explain your experience of consistently climbing with a 50% winrate). But I guess I'll just get to my real rating eventually if I just play one or two unfun comp matches every session. It'll take a while though, since I don't play that often... :shrug:

edit: also I've been playing a lot of Rune, and some matches I feel completely helpless since I don't really have a way to force the core into the goal or even past people the way a drekar or juliette can, especially if my teammate is playing passively and I'm the one who's in the enemy's goalbox most of the time, and I'm wondering if it's a git gud issue or if it's just part of the design of the game where you want your team to have at least one strong "stuffer".

urea fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 28, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

urea posted:

I think in most games the first games you play are weighted higher to make mmr converge faster, and this works even if you start at the bottom. Since rookie competitive games aren't fun enough for me to want to grind them out, I haven't played enough competitive games to be able to tell if this is how it's implemented in OS, or any other quirks, e.g. some games have the rank be a separate number that kinda smoothly rubber bands towards the real internal mmr which can change more erratically (which could explain your experience of consistently climbing with a 50% winrate). But I guess I'll just get to my real rating eventually if I just play one or two unfun comp matches every session. It'll take a while though, since I don't play that often... :shrug:

edit: also I've been playing a lot of Rune, and some matches I feel completely helpless since I don't really have a way to force the core into the goal or even past people the way a drekar or juliette can, especially if my teammate is playing passively and I'm the one who's in the enemy's goalbox most of the time, and I'm wondering if it's a git gud issue or if it's just part of the design of the game where you want your team to have at least one strong "stuffer".

Can't speak much more to the MMR stuff. It's the sort of thing where I qualify as pretty knowledgeable compared to 90% of people but anybody who takes competitive gaming seriously, almost certainly including you, is way beyond me in knowledge.

As for Rune, clever Runes are an absolute nightmare for me as a goalie, honestly in a way more similar to Drekar than Juli is to either. With Juli the move is to clear far, with both Drekar and Rune the best play is usually to clear near because if I do a far clear against either there's like a 75% chance they're going to sink it immediately without me having any options.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Weird, I was expecting a new striker this week. Oh well: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3677803939569542818

++ Finii, Juno, Kai
-- Zentaro, Vyce

++ Catalyst, Egoist, Hotshot (?!!?!?!), Perfect Form (!?!?@#$?@$?@!?), Powerhouse Pauldron
-- Big Fish, Built Different, Prize Fighter, Extra Special

Season 2 confirmed as well

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

Weird, I was expecting a new striker this week. Oh well: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3677803939569542818

++ Finii, Juno, Kai
-- Zentaro, Vyce

++ Catalyst, Egoist, Hotshot (?!!?!?!), Perfect Form (!?!?@#$?@$?@!?), Powerhouse Pauldron
-- Big Fish, Built Different, Prize Fighter, Extra Special

Season 2 confirmed as well

Hotshot and PP getting buffed is just a feast for me and my buds who slam picked those already. Bigfish and Built Different nerfs does suck a little for me but anything that hurts Prize Fighter makes me happy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tulip posted:

Hotshot and PP getting buffed is just a feast for me and my buds who slam picked those already.

It's genuinely loving baffling. I play a lot of Estelle, Zentaro and Rune and these two are BiS for me. I genuinely have no clue why they thought it needed buffing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's genuinely loving baffling. I play a lot of Estelle, Zentaro and Rune and these two are BiS for me. I genuinely have no clue why they thought it needed buffing.

AFAIK they base the decisions based on observed win rates, and I'm guessing they bias toward what higher level players prefer (partially because they often say stuff about, well, exactly that, e.g. today's zentaro nerfs). So, I guess at some levels of play people are losing more often when they're taking Hotshot? Which, IDK. Feels wild to me, CDR is really good and scoring points is even better.

But I also do not know at all how to evaluate what the real metagame of this game is, the patchnotes are the only thing I believe at this point. The subreddit and official discord has people saying absolute hot nonsense all the time. I'm still thinking about the guys going "yeah Asher is the exact same moves as Dubu but worse" and...yes, if you try to use Barrier Beam the same was a Rollout, you will have a bad time! I'm not really sure what made you want to do that, but I don't doubt you suffered for it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

High level play was very much kill-focused, so they buffed things that give power specifically from hitting the core in an effort to reduce the brawler meta.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Feels late in the summer to do a summer event but oh well let's gooo.

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1689327244471107584

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if this is coming out soon instead of at the end of August (when the Season 1 pass expires)?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3676679309264713746

++ Juno, 1-2 Punch, Rapid Fire
-- Dubu, Era, Stacks upon Stacks, Twin Drive

Seems to be teasing the Summer event next week

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Season 2 on August 24th (29th?). New striker.

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1692588970067005664

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think I'm the only goon still playing.

Season 1 battle pass is ending 2 days early. Season 2 begins Thursday.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1017918951314952303/1143234265874710618/Visual_Novel_Teaser_V0.93.mp4

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1017918951314952303/1143234265874710618/Visual_Novel_Teaser_V0.93.mp4

Nah I'm still playing strong, excited to see what all Season 2 comes with.

...Which is apparently a Visual Novel?? lmao - I'm digging the summer skins, even if they are seemingly a bit late. Excited to see what the new striker is like, even if the hint gives us basically nothing to go off of.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Asher's skin is pretty underwhelming.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

Asher's skin is pretty underwhelming.

Aw, I like it!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm playing intermittently, I've got a bunch of friends who play but we're horribly uncoordinated so it just kind of comes up whenever.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm mostly playing competitive tournaments?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My graphics card died but a friend gave me his old 1050 yesterday and I should be back on this game when I get time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBKNLO70a0

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Stance character seems really really powerful for a game where abilities are at such a premium.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

curiousCat posted:

Stance character seems really really powerful for a game where abilities are at such a premium.

Gotta think he's got real long cooldowns (or low damage) or else we're looking at several consecutive nerfs in the pipeline.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Guessing he changes stances with his ultimate? Surprised it doesn't really clarify how to do so considering it seems the core aspect of his character. Looks really cool though, I like complex characters like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm imagining that he's probably not a viable goalie, which is a shame.