Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Season 2 is live: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3642902946327823963

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbvawmuIkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maps rotating along with awakenings is cool, and the new map with portals looks insane lmao

lol at them removing the spongebob reference Dubu emote, I wonder if there was some legal stuff happening there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

lol at them removing the spongebob reference Dubu emote, I wonder if there was some legal stuff happening there

Nah, it's just the rotating community emote. Two months ago it was Atlas sipping Super Surge, then it was that Dubu one, now it's the drag queen Dubu Oh that's actually a battle pass emote. It'll get rotated again come October.

e: looks like the new community emote is pixelated Juliette/Sonii?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oo i'm excited to check out new Asher. The monumentalist bugfix is an interesting note - I noticed it did nothing to asher special but I figured that was just because the base knockback on it was too low.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh wow the lingering hitbox on Kazan's hook is crazy.

edit: I'm pretty sure Finii's primary got hosed with, but wasn't documented. The windup on the card reversing direction feels much longer now.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 24, 2023

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The portal map is loving stupid but actually hilarious

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The portal map is loving stupid but actually hilarious

I love it so much but I never want to play this in ranked.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm pretty sure Finii's primary got hosed with, but wasn't documented. The windup on the card reversing direction feels much longer now.

Yeah I think this definitely happened, it feels way slower. Weird nerf considering the patch notes discussed her needing buffs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I changed my mind. Gates of Obscura might be the best map in the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-GamRy0qiU
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3672177705988376250

++ Finii, Rune, Vyce
-- Ai.Mi, Asher, Atlas, Dubu, Estelle

Orbs/Glass Cannon rotated out, Sparks are back

++ Bulk Up, Reverberation, Peak Performance, Eject Button, Heavy Impact (?!?!), Missile Propulsion, Perfect Form (!?!?!!?!?!), Siphoning Wand, Super Surge
-- Built Different, Catalyst, Primetime, Specialized Training

Some of these buff/nerf decisions are completely loving baffling.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
more Finii buffs
MORE. FOREVER.

I'll be the best bunny in this game lol.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vyce is really really good now. That massive Heavy Impact/Perfect Form buff does so much for her.

Just hit your primary over and over until the entire enemy team is staggered.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A couple baffling balance decisions here in today's patch: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3705955877831981746

++ Juno, VYCE?!, X, Zentaro
-- Asher, Era, Juliette, Rune

++ Bulk Up, Reverberation, Sparks of Not Agility
-- Big Fish, Spark of Agility, Stacks on Stacks

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

why do they keep buffing finii. i haven't played actively for a while, but she felt like a really good goalie most of the time, and they just keep buffing her

edit: like they seem to be planning to give her some flashy big buffs which is like ???

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao Vyce buffs. She's arguably one of the strongest strikers in the game, no clue why she needs buffs??

SpiritOfLenin posted:

why do they keep buffing finii. i haven't played actively for a while, but she felt like a really good goalie most of the time, and they just keep buffing her

edit: like they seem to be planning to give her some flashy big buffs which is like ???

Yeah I'm baffled, maybe cus she's a somewhat more high skill ceiling striker? She's one of my favorites, so I'm not complaining about bigger buffs, though I'm wondering if she'll get an entire rework. She also works great as a flexible forward, just hang out on the opposite side of the field from your other forward. If you're on your half of the field it's super easy to harass the enemy goalie and defensive forward(s) while you remain in a solid defensive position. If you're on their half of the field, you can harass the enemy's aggressive forward(s) while being in a good position to score.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Probably for the same reason that they've nerfed Asher over and over and over. Either their abstractized data shows she's underperforming, or they're just doing random poo poo to keep the game "changing". It's certainly not from actually playing games with her.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I think Finii has the worst winrate in the game by far and they do not understand why, so they just keep buffing numbers. I think she is potentially strong and I love playing as her so maybe I'm biased but I hope they don't ruin her secondary, that Double Take rocks

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I think people just straight up don't know how to play her then.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

To be fair she is extremely easy to own goal with, and if you do that a couple times you might just get turned off the character? Maybe???

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finii's primary also takes quite a lot of getting used to, considering you want to move the mouse the complete opposite direction from where you actually want it to go.

Cast Primary > Secondary > Hit with Primary is such a loving satisfying combo though, I'm really hoping they don't change it at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Finii's primary also takes quite a lot of getting used to, considering you want to move the mouse the complete opposite direction from where you actually want it to go.

Cast Primary > Secondary > Hit with Primary is such a loving satisfying combo though, I'm really hoping they don't change it at all.

I've made a LOT of embarrassing own goals.

I'm not a one-trick person, I tend to filter strikers broadly into "I like them enough to try and learn them" and "this just doesn't feel that fun to play." Finii is probably the only striker that I think is fun but has enough of a learning curve that I've pretty much just given up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5t9YF0VUw

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3731852844349884987

Size nerfs!! to Asher/Atlas/Dubu/X and Big Fish, Built Different

++ Juno, Vyce, Egoist, Spark of Resilience, Stagger Swagger, Tempo Swing
-- Estelle, Extra Special, Reverberation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Excuse me?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New striker being teased:

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1712900340708712736

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Music teaser I guess?

New striker is the secretary for Clarion Corp and has a hime cut.

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1714371720977465854

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Good music...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rotating map mode it looks like

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1714703678844588218

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That looks cool, and seems like maybe it can change in between rounds! Maybe players vote on what map effects they want each round? Lots of neat potential there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A little less new content than I was expecting to be honest -- aside from Nao, only two new skins and a temporary gameplay mode. Oh never mind, I see there's also new awakenings!

Finii rework looks really promising, but I don't love that they improved her core trapping with her special. That was already really obnoxious to deal with on certain maps.

It's extremely concerning to me that they think Kazan is underperforming by looking at the "data". Kazan is nearly a permaban for me at this point, he's totally game-ruining when a main gets him.

That one awakening is basically a free gift to Juliette players -- I expect we'll see Juliette nerfed again, and then when they look at the "data" they'll buff all the Juliette awakenings again.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Finii buffs are good

Very good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlLqU7-H8OY

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3785898575575288403

Nothing really stand-out other than the enormous nerf to Quick Strikes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well... not exactly surprising. :smith:

quote:

Despite our best efforts, we haven’t been able to grow Omega Strikers. Although the game has an incredible core community, most players generally stop playing after a few weeks of going hard on the game—and this has been true since our Open Beta over a year ago. We have big dreams for the future of the Omega Strikers universe, and to achieve our ambitions we believe we must focus our efforts on a new title set in the OS world that (we truly hope) you’ll love. To hear a bit more about our thinking on this, check out this message from our founders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTywjFNYZ2U

https://support.odysseyinteractive.gg/hc/en-us/articles/20078372545819

quote:

TL;DR:

By the end of this year, the Odyssey team is pivoting to work on new games set in the Omega Strikers universe.
Servers will stay on and we’ll continue releasing balance updates for the foreseeable future. We’re also planning to polish up the custom games tool and ship some other quality of life updates before the end of the year.
But after this year there won’t be any more new skins, maps, strikers, awakenings, or Striker Passes.
Any purchases you made in Omega Strikers will carry over as premium currency granted to you in our next game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Fuuuckin' RIP. Game is really fun and there's not really anything else like it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fuuuckin' RIP. Game is really fun and there's not really anything else like it.

Bloodline Champions, Battlerite, now this. Not exactly surprising it's happening :v:

I wonder what they're planning for the next game. They say they're bringing back all the characters from this game, and given what they said about our spent money carrying over to the next, the next one is almost certainly multiplayer with microtransactions. But what could it be if it's not air hockey? A dotalike (attempting to compete in the second tier, a la Smite)? Gacha? Fighting game?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

RIP but cant say I'm surprised

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they mentioned player retention problems and all their attempts to try and fix that seemed like they just made the game more complicated without actually adding depth

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

crying crying crying

battlerite now this

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

There wasn't, and isn't, any elements of the game that encourage player retention rather than being like, at best indifferent to the concept

What am I gonna do with my five billion striker credits i've accumulated by just playing the game now? if only there were some palette swaps of my favorite strikers I could unlock, which I could take into a nice casual game where I'm assured there will at least be basic matchmaking so I dont have to stomp or get stomped by virtue of which team received the most completely new, bewildered players that have no idea what's going on!

Players who will surely be motivated to keep learning the game after a few more of these one-sided stomps, where it's impossible to tell if what you're doing is right or wrong, because the only way experienced players on your team can talk to you is through passive-aggressive, ambiguous callouts and funny emote faces! SPREAD OUT, bucko! KO THEM! USE ENERGY BURST!

And they can't turn to any ingame learning resources either, just a book of internal jargon you need to study to be able to parse tooltips

Like as a postmortem its easy to poo poo on the game like this but man it just feels powerfully obvious at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I remain somewhat strongly convinced that a huge portion of this game struggling is simply because nerds don't have any experience playing sports (let alone field-ball sports) at all so they come into this completely naked and flabbergasted.

I played lacrosse and basketball for years, so even though I didn't have any actual soccer experience, the idea of relative and absolute positioning and shooting angles came naturally to me.

Granted, obviously, you can't actually blame these nerds for not knowing the fundamentals, you have to actually onboard them onto this. I'm just saying that there's a pretty obvious audience mismatch here.