Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I remain somewhat strongly convinced that a huge portion of this game struggling is simply because nerds don't have any experience playing sports (let alone field-ball sports) at all so they come into this completely naked and flabbergasted.

I played lacrosse and basketball for years, so even though I didn't have any actual soccer experience, the idea of relative and absolute positioning and shooting angles came naturally to me.

Granted, obviously, you can't actually blame these nerds for not knowing the fundamentals, you have to actually onboard them onto this. I'm just saying that there's a pretty obvious audience mismatch here.

Really though they could have smoothed this "I dont understand theory of hit ball but i do understand moba pewpew cooldown trading" problem over with a charming VN style tutorial, with a coach talking to juliette "hey remember your corestrike theory such as DONT REDIRECT THE BALL TOWARDS ENEMY FORWARDS and THINK ABOUT WHERE YOU SEND THE BALL and DONT STAND ON TOP OF YOUR GOALIE, TRUST THEM TO DO THEIR JOB" and juliette would go like "Sheesh coach im not a STUPID NOOB" which would communicate to all the league gamers that not being aware of these concepts turns you into a stinky noob, magically nudging them towards becoming Sports Gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it struggled because it's a free to play anime looking game

people will knee jerk skip

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gamers don't deserve video games.

More seriously I figure no small part is just the inherent riskiness of FTP models combined with the fact that, honestly, OS is too nice for that model. Way too much loving craftsmanship, not enough cheap recolors or dubiously legal gambling.

Mostly I'm just sad that we got a really adventurous, interesting game, with lots of charm and character and love and fun, and it just kind of petered out. What a shame.

e: Another note is that I'm also thinking about some other MP games I play and OS seems to have shared a fate with some other less-successful ones: if you can't achieve a critical mass of hardcore players, the ranking system starts to death spiral. Top tier players start smurfing just so they can get matches, lower level players find themselves constantly stomped, etc. You need some fairly high amount of engagement for the stratification system to stabilize and sustain, and if you fall below that then people just start disengaging.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 4, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the whole "gamers don't know how to sports" is only slightly true. Most, if not all MOBAs have really janky obtuse mechanics, but players take the time to learn them through other players / youtube /etc. And positioning is already a super key component of MOBAs, so it's not like that fanbase will be incapable of grasping those concepts.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Really though they could have smoothed this "I dont understand theory of hit ball but i do understand moba pewpew cooldown trading" problem over with a charming VN style tutorial, with a coach talking to juliette "hey remember your corestrike theory such as DONT REDIRECT THE BALL TOWARDS ENEMY FORWARDS and THINK ABOUT WHERE YOU SEND THE BALL and DONT STAND ON TOP OF YOUR GOALIE, TRUST THEM TO DO THEIR JOB" and juliette would go like "Sheesh coach im not a STUPID NOOB" which would communicate to all the league gamers that not being aware of these concepts turns you into a stinky noob, magically nudging them towards becoming Sports Gamers

The problem with this is players never read any text in any game, ever. MOBAs have always struggled with tutorializing their complex mechanics, and Omega is sadly no different.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
New (final?) striker is a fuckin' Sukeban Taiko Oni girl, hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa8A1ethBl8

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

New (final?) striker is a fuckin' Sukeban Taiko Oni girl, hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa8A1ethBl8

:hmmyes:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Also other patch notes too I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRHFdvMGUY

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I beat Omega Strikers ama

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

it struggled because it's a free to play anime looking game

people will knee jerk skip
free to play anime looking games are the most successful games in the world rn op

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3993070504829985303

Kinda neat that despite the game not receiving anymore updates, they are still doing balance changes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Dead game got some new skins, new awakenings, and a map rework

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/4177721259413059207

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dead game getting more support than several live games I can name.

quote:

The Core should no longer go through Asher's Primary Shield (I think for real this time) ive written this 90 times dude. yeah but this time I did the fix xdd. Unironically I actually think its fixed. I applied the same fix to the special and it worked too well and I had to pull it out cause it let you insta farm max energy and I was worried about performance. Cause they just hit between each other insanely fast. Truly made unstoppable force vs immovable object xdd

lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SO I WASN'T CRAZY?!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

SO I WASN'T CRAZY?!

Yeah Barrier Beam has been buggy for most of the game's run, specifically that one of the things its supposed to do (and that I got really used to back when it worked) was that it stops the core if the core touches its hit box at any point in its animation. In theory that is still supposed to happen but it only works like 75% of the time which is enough that you think you understand how it works but then it fails too frequently for you to actually count on it. As that patch note indicates, they do not know what is causing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Vyce electricity spreading again is quietly a huge buff