Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

estelle's teleport is probably the single most reliable clutch save if you gently caress up there is

everyone else's movement options also hits the puck (into the goal (that's an own goal))

the rest of her skill set isn't great for it, though you can do some long range pokes to move the puck out of your side

volleys actually pretty good at covering options - you have to get used to the idea of shooting the puck sideways rather than away though. you shoot sideways to avoid strikers, get it to rebound off the slanted sides if possible but if not follow up with a snipe to push it away. but its extremely hard, youre basically playing the game on hard mode for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
style is v important

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

one thing I low key dislike about this game is that your basic punk strike has a slight cool down, which sure avoid people spamming it to hit it

but it also means that if a goalie deflects the puck but an opposing forward is directly in their face (that's me) and has divine providence timing I just hit it again and there's literally nothing they can do about it so long as I can control the impulsive urge to want to hit it immediately

everyone should probably be able to push if it's in your goal area but that also might be to lethal

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dubu Goalie with Built Different, Creator of Large Things, and Creator of Durable Things is A+. You are a huge log wizard who rolls giant logs at the enemy that plonk off half their stagger bar and hit the puck with enough force to score from inside your own goal zone, and your pinball bumper thing literally blocks off about 1/2 of the map on maps that divide the field with bumpers

Gamerofthegame posted:

one thing I low key dislike about this game is that your basic punk strike has a slight cool down, which sure avoid people spamming it to hit it

but it also means that if a goalie deflects the puck but an opposing forward is directly in their face (that's me) and has divine providence timing I just hit it again and there's literally nothing they can do about it so long as I can control the impulsive urge to want to hit it immediately

everyone should probably be able to push if it's in your goal area but that also might be to lethal

Another argument for Dubu who can easily just clobber you away and keep distance :c00l:

e: Actually there's a fairly simple counter to that - if the goalie runs toward you instead of away from you while using LMB (so they're like, clipping into you when they hit) they'll just knock it behind you. At least, that seems to work - or maybe the players who are rushing at me aren't predicting it, but I've been able to just punch the puck straight past them almost every time.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 28, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is a game of Pong played between two Dubus and the other players are only obstacles.

e: It kind of seems like Dubu defense is 'unbreakable' - I've had dubu v dubu matches that go on for ages, like 7+ minutes without a goal happening, and they only eventually happen when one of us makes a mistake (which prompted this post). I'm currently 25-2 in ranked as Dubu and in all those games I've only run in to one player who seemed able to just outplay me or send things at me that I couldn't keep up with, and that was early on in the streak. With both Creations trainings they're rather large and last for a rather long time so his right click paddle can zone a significant area of the field (from both players + puck) with nearly 100% uptime (only really going below ~90% uptime when the paddle triggers early instead of expires naturally) while keeping his R on reserve as a just straight up "Nah you can't score right now" button. I mostly save it for enemy power plays or to do dumb aggressive things. Combine that with his natural size + the size-increasing training and the actual window that the opponent has to score on me is incredibly tiny as long as I throw a paddle out on cooldown and don't go past midfield

The biggest threats are all literally my own teammates standing too close to the goal and doing things like double-tapping every pass I make (and screwing up the momentum/angle) - they take away my ability to control my own goal area while simultaneously contributing nothing to offense. I want an emote that somehow conveys "No just go downfield and I will pass you the puck repeatedly, for real, don't worry. Even if both enemy forwards are shadowing me. Especially if both enemy forwards are shadowing me, giving you wide-open clear shots every time I pass to you." At this point I cringe when I see the witch girl on my team because it seems that's the way everyone wants to play her.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 28, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

dubu has a critical weakness in that he's a slow as poo poo, so I find just doing a feint gets it in the goal everytime baring some heavy resource use

the problem is it's pretty loving hit or miss if your teammates will silently orchestrate that, but I find standing still and vibing quietly in the corner usually helps the other forward go "oh, wait, era's open"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You will come up against Estelle players that will show you exactly how "unbreakable" Dubu is. They have a lot more than 27 matches, which is like a couple of hours of ranked mode.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

good goalies know this and play around this. sometimes i intentionally abuse forwards desire to do that by rebounding off them on purpose to get a better angle on the second shot to clear away, but really - you gotta clear the puck away from the enemy forwards. if you get into a scramble though sometimes you just get owned

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also probably a good thing anyway because it's better for the game if forwards have a somewhat easy way to force goals even if it can feel bad as goalie sometimes. Im sure most people have been in those games with 3 minute long volleys and that poo poo gets old fast.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Countblanc posted:

It's also probably a good thing anyway because it's better for the game if forwards have a somewhat easy way to force goals even if it can feel bad as goalie sometimes. Im sure most people have been in those games with 3 minute long volleys and that poo poo gets old fast.

I haven't seen any frame data or something that would prove it beyond doubt but my gut tells me if an Estelle stuffs Dubu then that's a goal if Dubu doesn't have every single ability ready, and her abilities are all shorter cooldowns, her ult is up almost 3 times as often. Kai is actually able to counter-stuff her and sneak the puck through the Estelle but the timing needs to be perfect, with his multi-hit primary that staggers the projectiles out.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2022

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

yeah i love kai as a goalie because specifically these situations where you are in a bad angle against estelle with all cooldowns etc, any goalie gets owned there - kai lets you prevent that situation from even happening. way better

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A well timed and aimed blink from Estelle seems to be basically impossible to save, I've seen it go at that super speed where it lights up red if the Estelle lands the blink impact right, if that's aimed at your goals corner while you're not expecting it then it's a goal every time, and the nature of the blink makes it so hard to anticipate.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You will come up against Estelle players that will show you exactly how "unbreakable" Dubu is. They have a lot more than 27 matches, which is like a couple of hours of ranked mode.

I eagerly await it, I'm at High Gold now and this game is getting kind of boring because no one can score on me unless I just stop paying attention

Also lol @ me getting mvp with 2-3+ goals in literally every single match as the goalie. Dubu is straight up broken. Is there any way to view your match history in-game?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 28, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

No there's nothing like that but the devs have said they will open an API up at some point which will mean we can use third party stats websites.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol first time seeing this one

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I eagerly await it, I'm at High Gold now and this game is getting kind of boring because no one can score on me unless I just stop paying attention

Also lol @ me getting mvp with 2-3+ goals in literally every single match as the goalie. Dubu is straight up broken. Is there any way to view your match history in-game?

have you considered that youre just built different

strong bird
May 12, 2009

this game was fun for a while til ppl figured out the Mathematically Correct runes to get on the lizard furry bait guy to make it so u can kill people guaranteed from midfield

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

he do be having a gun tho

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

strong bird posted:

this game was fun for a while til ppl figured out the Mathematically Correct runes to get on the lizard furry bait guy to make it so u can kill people guaranteed from midfield

I think that might be the prime time perk where they get an extra charge on their shoot thing at level 10, which means they become much more powerful all of a sudden, and you gotta try stop that. The scoreboard with TAB shows people's builds.

There are a lot of mechanics to slow down the early game and speed up the lategame, they might have gone over the top with it. The moba element means the characters are levelling during the match at different paces, but also the puck is slow at the start but speeds up as the game progresses, and the goal can start out small and then get bigger, which seems to be a feature when one team is scoring rapidly.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2022

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i got high platinum i know the basic mechanics of the game

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

yeah really hoping the devs fix this because its extremely boring to play against

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I do appreciate this game already has a strong character based meta

era will always try to dunk the goalie into the net (which, fair, but we literally only do that)

atlas will always be completely useless

estelle players will be as toxic as you can be

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

There's apparently some kind of MMR weighting system so goalies get like 20% more MMR and lose 20% less by playing their role lol

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 2, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Minorkos posted:

There's apparently some kind of MMR weighting system so goalies get like 20% more MMR and lose 20% less by playing their role lol

This would explain a lot. I'm not having much fun with this game because always playing goalie is boring, it literally feels like pong half the time, but any time I don't play goalie the goalie on my team is absurdly bad. I'm sitting at a like 80% winrate as goalie, ~10% winrate as forward. Almost all matches where I'm not the goalie include my team's goalie letting shots pass by them without using any skills, or hitting it into our own goal, or only ever deflecting the puck straight down midfield. Like it feels like it's maybe their first game of Omega Strikers ever, every time.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Game is pretty cool. I started out with Estelle and she's neat, played a little Era and I like her but a lot more on the maps with terrain. Today I started playing Juliette and I'm having a blast punching people into walls and dive kicking cores into goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIew6fJ4JA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZ7-drMHFo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

strong bird posted:

I uninstalled this game today because of this. Also there are several other characters that can do the same thing (like the person who throws out a shield that becomes a creation if it hits but at least that has a long cooldown). Every match has devolved into people playing instakill deathmatch. I think this game would be a lot better if you couldn't damage/KO other players (just some knockback would be enough, maybe stun them if you knock them into a wall), even outside of this it's not a fun interaction to play against people who want to brawl, the actual airhockey with spells and fists part is cool though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 4, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
just left right deke them out and score easy goals, or hug the corner walls when your shield is actually broken

I’m only in mid gold though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hiding when your shield is broken doesn't help because there are several characters that can instakill you from full shield with a single hit from one of their skills if you are near the wall of the arena. Most of the teams I faced today were built to just hold the puck at the wall until they can KO our forwards then 3v1 score. The lizard can do it with his right click which has 2 charges and a low cooldown plus he can stealth which makes him the common choice for it, but the shield throw does it, the witch's vortex thing does it, I am pretty sure dubu's right click can with the right runes, and some other things I am sure (so of course these teams have 3 people all throwing their instakill skills at you)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 4, 2022

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Playing Juliette just clicks, its like I found my character and that's a great feeling in a game.

https://streamable.com/nyfxqu
https://streamable.com/934nz4

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 5, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Big patch today, new hero with a lot of goalscoring potential, some brawling nerfs, and that terrible side street map was replaced with a new one.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

i loved side street

i also play era

new girl seems just a mesh between estelle and era which is also the most toxic and op thing I can think of

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

side streets was tilting as hell because like people kept trying to force the core through the sides against dubu and watching people try to fit a square peg in a completely closed off hole for 2 minutes was excruciating

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

yea it owned

then you just threw in a butterfly steamroller and KO the entire team after one minute of volleying

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

pog boyfriend posted:

side streets was tilting as hell because like people kept trying to force the core through the sides against dubu and watching people try to fit a square peg in a completely closed off hole for 2 minutes was excruciating

Ok maybe THIS time the Dubu will be asleep and not cast his roller at the sides ok

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1578095675300286464

if you want all the creator emotes, make sure to enter them in ALLCAPS

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

curiousCat posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1578095675300286464

if you want all the creator emotes, make sure to enter them in ALLCAPS

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
is anyone else crashing a LOT more recently

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Game fun, just picked up asher and i like her quite a bit for flex though i think era is my favorite

I hosed up my launch commands and wound up loving up my graphics and so this is what I was playing like for over a week

https://i.imgur.com/n6eqz9r.mp4

:pcgaming:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Going to resurrect this thread: The beta closed back in like January but is relaunching in two days. They just released a promo video animated by Studio Trigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOXlvs87Lo

I had fun when it first came out but didn't really get hooked on it. When they announced that the beta was ending, they said player retention was not great so not an uncommon opinion. There's supposedly some reworks to the general gameflow because of it but I'm not sure if there are any previews about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually really liked the game but stopped playing for the sane reason I stop most multiplayer games - none of my friends like it. Hopefully the changes pay off. Also the trailer is sick.