Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Heck yeh.

I personally loved the game and I'm very excited about it coming back. Looking forward to bullying people with Asher again. Kind of sad that retention wasn't great, game feels like a gem to me but I get how people would get less hooked on it than say Valorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it could feel pretty repetitive, i think even simple stuff like each map having a distinct aesthetic will help a lot

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'm extremely hype for this coming back out. Loved playing it, the changes were great when I tried them, I hope players stay this time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8k3SStBQlc

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm into it. Drafting in the middle of matches could be great, could be terrible. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Endorph posted:

it could feel pretty repetitive, i think even simple stuff like each map having a distinct aesthetic will help a lot

I'm honestly really bad at judging what drives player retention in general. I know so many people who love Path of Exile, a game that is basically just the same thing after about...2 hours into the game, maybe? From what I can see of the games that just hideously suck people in forever (OW, Valo, Fortnite), player-side customization (i.e. skins) are critical, and while Omega Strikers has good skins they're going to need like, 20 per character to hit the kind of stuff I'm thinking of.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The draft is the only thing there I'm hesitant on. Battlerite once had a similar system between rounds and everyone hated it because it made matches take longer and paused the otherwise constant action. The pace of OS was such that pauses like that seem annoying to me but I could be wrong.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Countblanc posted:

The draft is the only thing there I'm hesitant on. Battlerite once had a similar system between rounds and everyone hated it because it made matches take longer and paused the otherwise constant action. The pace of OS was such that pauses like that seem annoying to me but I could be wrong.

When I tried it out with the draft, it was interesting. On one hand it removed a few issues -- the buying of masteries or whatever they were called, the fact that a specific build could be optimal and you could be losing by loading into the match with the wrong ones, and the depth of options were all kind of problems. It's definitely a little slower, but since the match structure changed to first to 3 and Bo5, it's more like a break to recenter and get back into it. It's nice to lose 3-0 and then go back and it's 0-0 again, there's not a huge deficit to claw back from.

On the other... yeah. It's definitely slower, it's definitely more time commitment for comp matches. Normals are the same format but there is a quickplay where it's just ft5 still, I think.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I'm ready to play some CORE STRIKE in the game OMEGA STRIKERS

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I too am ready to STRIKE in an OMEGA fashion.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Might just play a ton tomorrow, see if my elo is high enough that I can just get straight back to diamond

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

game's back up, tho servers/matchmaking seem kinda glitchy

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just played it and wow it's quite different now. The matches are definitely not short now, you have to play multiple sets like it's Tennis? I went to casual mode and even that has multiple sets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just played it and wow it's quite different now. The matches are definitely not short now, you have to play multiple sets like it's Tennis? I went to casual mode and even that has multiple sets.

yeah its weird, games still fun but matches last forever now, even when youre stomping its a 10-15 minute affair. i guess it makes it more of a 'competitive' game but they should really dial this back

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Playing this on switch, and it's pretty good!

It's light on cosmetic options, but as far as gameplay is concerned it's a very nice quick pick up and go moba-lite + windjammers. Very cool. I haven't played competitive yet, but I could see this being very sweaty.

Are there specific strikers that are worth going for? I've been practicing with lizard-man and I'm doing ok, but it's hard to tell how impactful I'm being.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Anyone around to play some games? I'm home and ready to Strike!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
this emote is cursed

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah its weird, games still fun but matches last forever now, even when youre stomping its a 10-15 minute affair. i guess it makes it more of a 'competitive' game but they should really dial this back

Quickplay has the ft5 still, not Normal.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Does anyone wanna make a new thread for the release, or have information they want me to add to the op. It's so outdated now since they changed the game. I'm not sure how much time I have this weekend but I'll try play it myself too and maybe make a better op but if someone else wants to do it that's cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I've played a bunch of matches now, but just realized there's some new mechanic called "Energy"? How do you use that, exactly? Can't test right now, since I can't get into any matches, think the servers are down.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Press Q or E to use a third of your energy bar to pop the core into the air. In this state you’re the only one who can hit it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CH Science posted:

Press Q or E to use a third of your energy bar to pop the core into the air. In this state you’re the only one who can hit it

Ah, so it were those buttons. I looked through the controls, but it said something like "Use gear ability" or something, so I was a bit uncertain.
Thanks!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you're not at a full energy bar (the yellow bar beneath stagger / health) then you instead becoming briefly Elusive, meaning you become immune to effects and abilities. If it's full then you evade AND halt the puck if it's near you, allowing you to sole control over it for the next (very powerful) hit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CH Science posted:

This isnt quite right. You have an energy gauge under your stamina bar divided into three sections. You can press Q to use a third of it to become Elusive for around a second (basically can't be hit/interacted with). However if your Energy bar is completely stocked with 3 bars a fourth bar will light up, and in this state pressing Q activates what you're describing. So basically:

Pressing Q with less than full gauge: Brief period of invulnerability, subtracts 1/3rd of gauge.
Pressing Q with full gauge: Brief period of invulnerability, and also knocks back all nearby enemies and puts the core in a special state where only you can hit it for a very short while (~1 second) and your next hit on it is a very strong hit, completely empties gauge.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Thanks for the correction. Forgot about the invuln part

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

it's possible for Lunas to do well I swear

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CH Science posted:

Thanks for the correction. Forgot about the invuln part

Lots of people seem to! It's the best way to deal with someone who just does NOT want to stop beating your rear end into the pavement.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I missed the open beta for this but have been playing a bit and it's pretty fun but I'm quite bad since there's a lot to keep track of. I've been sticking to quick play until I get the hang of it, which is nice since it does keep the matches quick.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Does anyone wanna make a new thread for the release, or have information they want me to add to the op. It's so outdated now since they changed the game. I'm not sure how much time I have this weekend but I'll try play it myself too and maybe make a better op but if someone else wants to do it that's cool.

Idk if a new thread is needed, but I know with games like these a good thing for the OP is either a brief description of how the characters play, or at the very least character recommendations for forward + goalie.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Been trying out the new strikers, and Rasmus is a ton of fun. Feels like he can really make some cheeky plays once you get used to his kit. His primary in particular is probably gonna take some time getting used to though.
Probably gonna be my go-to for when I'm playing forward.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OK got a few rounds in with my lil brother. We got started late and he never played beta so we just played against AI, mostly to fiddle with controls, and a few quick plays. Did do one normal game on my own, I like the drafting system to be honest.

And god, I don't want to say I forgot how fun this game is, but it's somehow still incredibly refreshing to play it again. Era's just so much fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what does Overtime actually mean in this game

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

what does Overtime actually mean in this game

I THINK that it increases the power of strikes against the puck? It seems like it goes way faster during overtime.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Annoyance that I hope gets fixed soon: the keybind for energy surge is "gear," which is very confusing because gear is obviously also a concept in the game that isn't activated by that button

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, so many people are banning Juno, I don't get it.
At least it lets me get in some Aimi goalie experience.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Broken Cog posted:

Man, so many people are banning Juno, I don't get it.
At least it lets me get in some Aimi goalie experience.

At most levels of play people just ban whoever they find annoying to play against. I remember distinctly in Heroes of the Storm for a while the most banned character by far had something like the 2nd lowest win rate among all heroes, which makes it a terrible play from a winning perspective he had such a low rate that you wanted your opponents to pick him, but also he was super loving annoying and felt awful to fight so y'know I get it.

I am surprised its Juno though. I find X, Rune, and Luna much more annoying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Era is my go-to ban, specifically because she just feels like utter poo poo to play against as a melee-focused character between her shrink/slow, speed boost, and insane knockback orb thing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Countblanc posted:

Era is my go-to ban, specifically because she just feels like utter poo poo to play against as a melee-focused character between her shrink/slow, speed boost, and insane knockback orb thing.

Ur welcome :hehe:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

if im playing against omega players make me omega rank dangit

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Gave it a try but I'm probably only gonna play this game in friend parties.
It feels pretty bad to go into quick match as goalie and watch your two randos stand on top of each other all game and never try to split up or pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One of the things I hope gets addressed soon is the menus, because good lord are they awful. It's wild how hard it is to navigate to find what you're looking for, especially if you're trying to find where to purchase a skin / emote / etc. I'm legitimately surprised that when you click a skin (or hell, a striker) you don't own, there's no "go to store" button or something. Emotes are especially hard to find - do they unlock from the store? Striker affinity? The battle pass? Guess you just gotta click around everywhere until you find it!