Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I miss Unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1676019389391335425

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New Juno skin looks like

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1676278982180839427

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Cafe Juno already exists, she's just pink

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol hell yeah

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

she sure is

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Guess our new map/striker is tomorrow!

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1676685226620100608

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The sideways / inverted goals maps look INSANE though. Demon Dais was just a warmup. Rasmus is going to be pure fuckery on both, holy poo poo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How the gently caress am I supposed to Goalie THAT?! I only have one fat Asher rear end to stop the ball with, not two?!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3649653272196068623

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4rA42MvyY8

Community quest to unlock Fini it seems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does Asher still not have a single skin?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

???

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's just a promotional recolor, it doesn't count.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Don't worry, one's coming soon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol the event is already 1/3 completed, why'd they even bother setting it at that low of a threshold?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol the event is already 1/3 completed, why'd they even bother setting it at that low of a threshold?

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1677010259230040065?s=20

I think they didn't crunch numbers very well lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of skins, they really really should make some basic rear end recolors purchasable with Style Points.
To add a little more variety to every match.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm glad the new patch has kept up the tradition of all Juliette skins looking like crap

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1017918951314952303/1126588691222110308/Meet_Finii_V0.85.mp4

finii out lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

e: reply is not edit

Tulip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 6, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think its fair to say that a lot of the strikers look like vtubers that don't exist yet, but Fini looks A LOT like a vtuber that doesn't exist yet.

Jack Trades posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to Goalie THAT?! I only have one fat Asher rear end to stop the ball with, not two?!

Oh come on you can easily shuffle between them with the blazing fast 18s cooldown on the worst ability in the game.

Jack Trades posted:

Its kind of funny given that, of all the strikers, Asher is probably the one whose whole aesthetic most drives the fandom into sweating, thirsting, barking lunacy. Maybe its too much pressure for the designers?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finii's a lot of fun, she doesn't feel quite as strong as Vyce and Octavia did at launch, either. Her primary can really hit like a truck if you can hit the backswing on it, too. Aiming it is finicky enough that it's strength feels fair imo, but I've certainly be snipped unexpectedly by it a few times and wouldn't be surprised at a light nerf.

New maps are loving insane. They're a lot of fun but change the feel of the game so much that I wouldn't be surprised if they're just for this event mode and don't get transitioned over into "real" maps.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

If anyone wants to see, my team got streamed in OSAS again. https://twitch.tv/videos/1865330719?t=2348s

Finii is really fun, I was grinding comp before the tournament to try and get her down but she got banned every game. I love her card pullback.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
on switch this game is getting huge que times and then when you get in it feels like herding cats every time I play.

They don't even have the new character in game yet

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mild Juliette nerf, sparks rotated out, combo awakenings rotated back in.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3649653272224297998

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Glad to see Sparks rotating out imo. I like the concept behind them, but usually you only get one or two and they feel very underwhelming until you get 3+. Picking one always feels like a gamble of whether or not you'll get a strong loadout or if it'll be a wasted pick, all depending on if you can get more of them. The stagger awakenings feel like they accomplish the same thing (powering up the more of the "series" you get) but also aren't a total waste of a pick if you only get one of them.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Sparkington City ;_;

They're like... efficient when you get two, I think? I will miss them... for now...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Contrary opinion: Sparks are adequate even when you have one. A single Spark is less powerful than other awakenings, but the mere fact that you have a Spark forces your opponents to go "I should pass up this better awakening to counterpick this spark so that player doesn't go out of control."

CodfishCartographer posted:

The stagger awakenings feel like they accomplish the same thing (powering up the more of the "series" you get) but also aren't a total waste of a pick if you only get one of them.

That's kinda the issue with them, they just lead to players taking longer to KO if you don't effectively stack them, and if you DO, they make you a wrecking ball. IMO they're worse for the game than Sparks were, in terms of having outsize draft impact.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

curiousCat posted:

Sparkington City ;_;

They're like... efficient when you get two, I think? I will miss them... for now...

They're pretty efficient at 2. Usually better than the similar stack of the stagger ones. For example if you take Strength+Agility, you're at 44 Power and 18 speed. Best case scenario for taking Bulk Up + Peak Performance would be 31.875 power and 14.875 speed (plus 500 stamina). With the new numbers those go up to 33.375 and 15.575 respectively, still considerably lower than 44 and 18.

I don't like this rotation of awakenings at all tbh, less because of the sparks and more because my absolute least favorite awakening to have in the game is prize fighter and my second least is one two punch. Third least is perfect form. I honeslty thought prize fighter was just going to be gone forever because its a poo poo awakening that makes the game less fun.

Ponderer I'm surprised to see got buffed, I thought it was pretty good and much less of a niche pick than replicator. In general this is something that me and my buddies are confused about when doing normal/ranked: people don't seem to be into cooldown reduction (CDR), which to us feels like a real contender for most powerful general stat, like if you don't have a compelling reason to pick something else (e.g. creation duration when playing rune), CDR just makes you substantially better at everything and OS is way less stingy with CDR than MS. Hotshot is the one in particular we get mystifed by people passing on - hitting the core harder is how you win, and 30% CDR is a lot, especially with abilities that are very generous about hitting the core like Tofu Fort. Getting your next tofu fort 30% faster is really strong!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think Prize Fighter is going to be as effective this time around, because the playerbase has largely realized the evade button actually loving exists thanks to Vyce and the repeated barrage of Luna buffs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Prize Fighter is going to be as effective this time around, because the playerbase has largely realized the evade button actually loving exists thanks to Vyce and the repeated barrage of Luna buffs.

It just loving feels bad because its a win-more power for optimizing for being a jackass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah it's a bit surprising seeing the combo ones coming back in. Going for kill strategies in the game is kind of an odd balancing trick - it feels real good for the team running the strat, but absolutely awful for the other team. Even if they aren't actually killing you, it still forces them to feel as though they can't play because they need to hang back and be defensive. It's just really not fun to play against.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Contrary opinion: Sparks are adequate even when you have one. A single Spark is less powerful than other awakenings, but the mere fact that you have a Spark forces your opponents to go "I should pass up this better awakening to counterpick this spark so that player doesn't go out of control."

Doesn't that kind of just mean you're picking a boring underwhelming awakening to force your opponents to also pick a boring underwhelming awakening? Seems to just be making the game worse for everybody there lol.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

...are sparks boring? I never felt like they were boring. Strategically I thought they had a similar behavior to...basically all awakenings, where you try to avoid your own team cannibalizing similar awakenings while trying to cannibalize/disrupt your opponents draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The only boring spark is Resilience, the other 3 are legitimately an okay pick on their own especially if you're towards the end of the draft round and your alternatives aren't compatible. No they aren't as good as Perfect Form or whatever, but that's not really the point here.

That picking a spark, especially early on, puts your opponents on alert for a potential spark build, is a bonus.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

...are sparks boring? I never felt like they were boring. Strategically I thought they had a similar behavior to...basically all awakenings, where you try to avoid your own team cannibalizing similar awakenings while trying to cannibalize/disrupt your opponents draft.

I've never been a wildly huge fan of them because to me each individual one doesn't feel like it has enough of an impact to feel "worth" it, aside from maybe the health one if you're really getting bodied and need something defensive to stay alive. Other awakenings obviously mix well together, but most of them feel impactful enough on their own to where if I can't stack them effectively I still feel like I get value from the pick.

That being said I'm probably biased because I'm also not a huge fan of awakenings that are mostly just a bundle of stats. The ones that are most interesting to me are the ones that influence how you want to play the game or use your abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Give me a Size Spark.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I feel like all awakenings are a pile of stats. Unless I'm missing something really fundamental about the game, which would explain why I'm bad at the game, but AFAIK Deadeye gives you "hits harder at longer ranges" and Glass Cannon is "moves faster until you get hit," just stats.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The only boring spark is Resilience, the other 3 are legitimately an okay pick on their own especially if you're towards the end of the draft round and your alternatives aren't compatible. No they aren't as good as Perfect Form or whatever, but that's not really the point here.

That picking a spark, especially early on, puts your opponents on alert for a potential spark build, is a bonus.

I always felt like sparks are a bit of an econ strategy. One spark almost always negative WAR, but two is fine and and a 3rd spark is almost always the best awakening you can take. You're accepting that you're weaker at the outset for an investment in later rounds, as well as taking a risk that your investment might not pay off as much as you want.

Man now I'm missing sparks more. Least favorite patch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

I feel like all awakenings are a pile of stats. Unless I'm missing something really fundamental about the game, which would explain why I'm bad at the game, but AFAIK Deadeye gives you "hits harder at longer ranges" and Glass Cannon is "moves faster until you get hit," just stats.

They are stats, but they do influence how you play! Deadeye encourages you to snipe targets at longer ranges (and encourages you to hang back on your side of the field, or on the enemy's side when they're pushing yours), and Glass Cannon encourages you to put more focus on avoiding getting hit...which you obviously want to do anyways, but the bigger focus on it means it's more important and can influence your decisionmaking.

Tulip posted:

You're accepting that you're weaker at the outset for an investment in later rounds, as well as taking a risk that your investment might not pay off as much as you want.

However I will admit that this is a cool aspect of Sparks that I'm sad to lose. If there were a more reliable way to get Sparks then I'd probably like them better. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind if they were rebalanced a bit so that the baseline stats you get are stronger, and the scaling you get is weaker. Have it pan out to where you still get the same total stats, but buff up only having one or two of them so it doesn't feel as bad if you only get one.

I'll also admit that enough people in the thread seem to like sparks that maybe this is just a problem with me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip posted:

You figure out what part of your kit will be more effective against the current team you're facing and focus on the stats that boost that.