Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

How the gently caress do you play goalie in this game? I feel like every time I play goalie there's nothing I can do because my forwards just stand right next to each other in the worst positions and we have zero control over the core. And when I play forward, the games are pretty free just by virtue of me being able to position somewhere that makes sense instead of being tethered to the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urea
Aug 18, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, it's wild to me to see more Octavia nerfs while Vyce gets a bugfix that's a slight buff lmao. I'm guessing Octavia is super duper good in higher-level play, but in the casual levels I'm in she almost always just accomplishes nothing due to teammates not always giving her the ball, and she feels 100% dependent on getting the perfect awakenings or she'll be borderline useless.

I'm not particularly good, and I've never played her so I don't know how she works, but in every game with her it seems like she can play super aggressively and just walk forward and the ball just automatically goes in the goal somehow.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Winning by forfeit is so unsatisfying. It's just a message box that says "Enemy forfeited" and you're booted back to the menu. The game should give the winning team a free shot into the goal just to have a chance to celebrate with emotes and stuff.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

I love how every game devolves into juliette completely ignoring the ball and playing super smash bros. Really fun that...

urea
Aug 18, 2013

I wanted to start playing Competitive for better games, but the game starts you off at the lowest possible MMR, and it takes forever to climb, even with a 100% winrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Tulip posted:

It's pretty annoying yea. I've played a few comp games and there's really kind of two methods, placement matches vs climb from the bottom. I think, but am not sure, that the placement matches method may just not scale properly down to smaller player bases, which makes sense because when player base gets small matchmaking gets more challenging in general. But the climb from the bottom, as you mentioned, is a slog, and it "works" if you're a really really dedicated player but otherwise IDK. I like OS a lot but I think I'm still too much of a casual to really get all that far in it.

To me in OS it feels like the "actual" midpoint is somewhere in gold, possibly plat: when I was climbing ranks to get the season achievement I was close to a 50/50 win/lose rate, but I was consistently going up because I'd gain something like 30 points on a win and lose 10 points on a loss, so if I played 10 matches and won five lost five it wouldn't be +0 points it would be +100 points. This creates a natural escalator effect, and at some point its gotta level out (I already noticed it getting more level as I played, but never hit anywhere near even), but that seems like an intentional drive to sort players "toward" some rank that's WELL above rookie or bronze.

I think in most games the first games you play are weighted higher to make mmr converge faster, and this works even if you start at the bottom. Since rookie competitive games aren't fun enough for me to want to grind them out, I haven't played enough competitive games to be able to tell if this is how it's implemented in OS, or any other quirks, e.g. some games have the rank be a separate number that kinda smoothly rubber bands towards the real internal mmr which can change more erratically (which could explain your experience of consistently climbing with a 50% winrate). But I guess I'll just get to my real rating eventually if I just play one or two unfun comp matches every session. It'll take a while though, since I don't play that often... :shrug:

edit: also I've been playing a lot of Rune, and some matches I feel completely helpless since I don't really have a way to force the core into the goal or even past people the way a drekar or juliette can, especially if my teammate is playing passively and I'm the one who's in the enemy's goalbox most of the time, and I'm wondering if it's a git gud issue or if it's just part of the design of the game where you want your team to have at least one strong "stuffer".

urea fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 28, 2023