Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Posting from Augusta/Aiken area: all the water is gone at the stores and people were hard panic mode last night at Walmart. It doesn't look much worse than a bad thunderstorm right now but in an abundance of caution, we brought in the livestock guardian dogs, tied and weighed stuff down, filled tubs with water, and currently have a tiny lamb in the laundry room because he's sweet dumb and makes poor choices in life a lot.

The wind sucks, though, and the rest of the livestock don't like it.

Most devastating thing so far: popeyes didn't have frozen lemonade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Satellite imagery of affected areas:

https://twitter.com/noaaocean/status/1575787798174478337

Some areas seem fine but others are completely leveled. Sanibel causeway: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#17/26.46465/-82.03076

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
this bit looks proper hosed:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
We shall build a highway on a sandbar and other great ideas by humans

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cat 1 streams are much more chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CoHYMlrFI

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They only warned us about houses!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

most of my neighborhood got power back yesterday, but the circle of a ~20 houses i live on and a few other side streets off the main road do not.

drove into work today and didn’t see a single utility truck in or around my town

they’ve moved on :negative:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Withnail posted:

We shall build a highway on a sandbar and other great ideas by humans

pretty sure they did not even build that highway on a natural sandbar, it was likely artificially created specifically for the bridge project

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
roads on sandbars are everywhere along the coast, its not that surprising. sometimes they get washed away, and rebuilt :shrug:

this was a gif I saved from Michael wiping out the same kinda dealy. it was rebuilt pretty quick

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2022

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Indecisive posted:

I think it was before Irma 5 years ago (?), a shitton of power line workers from other states were sent to prep for the recovery after the storm.. did that not happen this time? Maybe it's just cuz I'm not getting as much news this time but I just don't see them working as fast this time. All I can really judge from is the slow updates on the OUC outage map.. but we didn't have all this flooding then either. I just wish I knew what was going on.

Nah I passed shitloads of caravans of Asplundh line and tree trucks en route to Florida on I-26 on Tuesday. I haven't seen that many since Irma.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjE3of4gT33/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

WE WILL REBUILD :911:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp. The in-laws somehow survived in Rotonda West. Their roof is gone and the ceiling collapsed in 2/5 of the rooms but they are luckily alive.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Storm severity index reaches CODE RED for Hurricane Ian: Waffle House locations are closing

From a few days ago, rip Florida.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Welp. The in-laws somehow survived in Rotonda West. Their roof is gone and the ceiling collapsed in 2/5 of the rooms but they are luckily alive.

Yikes, glad to hear it.

It seems that based on videos taken after the first eyewall but before the second, compared with the final aftermath, that the second eyewall hit was much worse.

My parents have a house in that general area, roof survived based on initial reports. Big win was not a lot of storm surge - seems there was some relation between the time of being hit with the water all being sucked out of the bay that the surge was reduced at that particular point, otherwise the whole island would have been underwater. Lots of tree damage, roof damage. But compared with Ft Myers it's practically not worth mentioning.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Posting from Augusta/Aiken area: all the water is gone at the stores and people were hard panic mode last night at Walmart. It doesn't look much worse than a bad thunderstorm right now but in an abundance of caution, we brought in the livestock guardian dogs, tied and weighed stuff down, filled tubs with water, and currently have a tiny lamb in the laundry room because he's sweet dumb and makes poor choices in life a lot.

The wind sucks, though, and the rest of the livestock don't like it.

Where da lamb pics

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Why the gently caress are you sharing anything from that site?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mozi posted:

Yikes, glad to hear it.

It seems that based on videos taken after the first eyewall but before the second, compared with the final aftermath, that the second eyewall hit was much worse.

My parents have a house in that general area, roof survived based on initial reports. Big win was not a lot of storm surge - seems there was some relation between the time of being hit with the water all being sucked out of the bay that the surge was reduced at that particular point, otherwise the whole island would have been underwater. Lots of tree damage, roof damage. But compared with Ft Myers it's practically not worth mentioning.

Yeah they said the eye was over them for 6 hours and no basement-so they were just watching the house get torn apart. Talk about loving traumatizing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bottom Liner posted:

Why the gently caress are you sharing anything from that site?

I'm half asleep and that was the first thing that came up on google

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Given the damage, a lot of places seem very OK despite Ian being 2 points off a Cat 5. Looks like some building standards have crept in.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, we seem to have figured out how to build them to withstand wind.

Shame about all that water!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I think it's clear that Florida is a mistake.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Given the damage, a lot of places seem very OK despite Ian being 2 points off a Cat 5. Looks like some building standards have crept in.

Yeah , water up past 18" in a house essentially totals the house and that is not the kind of damage you can assess from the air.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

We drank a bottle of watermelon wine and grilled up quesadilla burgers in the driveway tonight. Still no power, but got the generator hooked up to the well and got a shower in. All our debris is by the street, and hopefully we’ll have enough phone and internet during the day to get our insurance claim in. Tip one back for the poor bastards who didn’t leave Matlacha.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WGIcg0Mt0

Compilation of social media vids from various points

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Videos of Ian's storm surge in Myrtle Beach, SC, generic text-to-speech describing what I presume to be tweets about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VRX3B6gVY

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

night 3 without power, this wasn’t supposed to happen, i was on the good coast

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Florida has a good coast? I've never heard such fairy tales.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it changes based on which way the wind is blowing

also, power back at 10 am today :toot:

posting with my phone brightness up and under the covers while the a/c cranks out the good air

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Here is a big map of imagery taken by NOAA after the hurricane, for anyone who might want to check on a specific area: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#17/26.74545/-82.26129. Covers Venice Beach down to Marco Island, including Port Charlotte, Ft Myers, Naples, etc.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Also got power back finally, slightly too late cuz my room was hot as hell last night, but at least it's back. Been driving around a bit today for work and seeing how high all the ponds n poo poo are, and there's still some street signals busted, but recovery is happening. There's tons of sand and debris around tho so hope we have some time before it rains again so the pipes don't get full of poo poo or whatever

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The florida viking riding out the 'cane

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmVLnWH/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hardawn posted:

The florida viking riding out the 'cane

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmVLnWH/

"It was not fun, believe me."

Yeah, I would imagine.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

neat looking back on this now and seeing how far off the projected track was even 3 days out from the west FL landfall, but technically the cone is still accurate in that the storm's actual path just barely lines up with the rightmost border of the cone

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the path fits in that cone perfectly. That middle line is not the projected path. The entire cone is the possible track. Weather forecasters say this constantly but our lizard brains see the line and interpret to mean otherwise. It’s really a failure of graphic design.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ok, sorry, the "forecast" track not the "projected" track then. the literal name for the line is the "forecast track line" in the legend on their website.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Right, but the point is that line is not the forecasted track of the center of the storm at all. That’s the entire reason the cone gets bigger as the days go.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i understand what they mean. i am just saying that "the big line they draw down the middle of their cone that every looks at because it's meant to draw your attention was kinda far off this time". i'm not trying to nitpick about terminology.

cone just barely good. line not so good.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bad Purchase posted:

ok, sorry, the "forecast" track not the "projected" track then. the literal name for the line is the "forecast track line" in the legend on their website.

???

that chart you quote specifically had it possibly hitting south of tampa as much as a cat 4, which is exactly what happened

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

see the middle column, which toggles the line on and off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you are misinterpreting what forecast means in this context, the product that forecast produces is a probability range of where the hurricane is likely to go, it at no point produces a specific forecasted track

imo it's a downside to that style of graphic because a lot of people read it as you are

the line is not meant to show you where it will go, it shows you the approximate progression of time. imo that style of chart works better when they do full width lines to represent likely progress by a given time

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 2, 2022