Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Just outside of Halifax and we already lost power once last night, ell oh ell this is going to suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
I'm in Halifax and I've just bungee-corded my garbage cans to my deck. poo poo can now get real. :frog:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Just outside of Halifax and we already lost power once last night, ell oh ell this is going to suck

Isn't it great that Nova Scotia Power wants to INCREASE our rates for such great service :crackping:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hurricanes blow

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If my rent, which is fully 50% of my income, doesn't prevent me from being sucked into a hurricane and thrown into the sea, I will be sending a very strong letter to my MLA let me tell you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mozi posted:

hurricanes blow

Hurricane Fiona sucked me off??!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Hurricane Fiona sucked me off??!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is an interesting thread about how Fiona (back up to category 4) is still such a beast even as an extratropical hurricane.

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1573351195669823489?s=20&t=vZHgBiP2-zvDsOm5YaZawA

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thank you to my west coast FL brothers and sisters who will likely be buffering us east coasters from the worst of hermine

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Life is like a hurricane

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like to hydro and lof suction. Not like this. not like this.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bad Purchase posted:

thank you to my west coast FL brothers and sisters who will likely be buffering us east coasters from the worst of hermine

Yeah but will we get TS winds/close schools down is the big question

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah but will we get TS winds/close schools down is the big question

if the storm crosses right across the middle of FL like the current models say, most of the state will get TS winds and rain. probably not much to worry about (aside from random tornadoes) unless you're right near the landfall or live somewhere flood prone. don't know about schools closing. i grew up on the coast and schools stayed open for tropical storms. pretty much only closed for hurricanes and i think that was less about safety and more about the schools being prepped as storm shelters.

the only exception i remember is getting a day off of school for hurricane andrew even though we were far enough north that we didn't even get rain bands from it. i think it was the first day we were supposed to be back after summer break or something like that, too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hermine just formed off the coast of Africa.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1573410388539908097?s=20&t=MmSWtbQO0OAcxKH5dW5kJA

That means the storm in the Caribbean (that will probably hit south Florida) will be called Ian lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the NHC should've politely waited instead of allowing a new storm to cut in line, now all my old posts have the wrong name

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Well this sucks

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

How are our Canadian goons doing?

Found a guy driving around Nova Scotia. He just stopped at Tim Horton's for coffee and a donut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XKxarggCY

Lots of scary videos like this one floating around Twitter. Line workers are going to be very busy.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1573601519072849920?s=20&t=J2Qi8GyhwiaU47xqHO2tOQ

https://twitter.com/FKParsons/status/1573491487907659782?s=20&t=J2Qi8GyhwiaU47xqHO2tOQ

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1573539853261803523?s=20&t=J2Qi8GyhwiaU47xqHO2tOQ

https://twitter.com/StormHQwx/status/1573569659462467584?s=20&t=J2Qi8GyhwiaU47xqHO2tOQ

Also, Ian formed overnight. It's currently projected to hit western Cuba on Monday, then strengthen to a Category 3 and hit Florida on Tuesday or Wednesday:

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1573600797631385601?s=20&t=J2Qi8GyhwiaU47xqHO2tOQ

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Very neat.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Luckily made it through the Hurricane with my place unscathed in Halifax. The rest of my neighbourhood got smacked though. Tons of trees on houses and squished cars. Probably won’t have power back for another two days. But drat did NFLD get hosed up.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Only lost power for about 10 hours, but Cape Breton got the poo poo kicked oit of it

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Fiona wiped the town of Port Aux Basques off the map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5uU4t_zqno

:smith:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

looks like ian is starting to form southwest of where the models yesterday assumed, which should take it closer to the west of cuba and further into the gulf before reaching florida. in the short term that means a stronger storm, probably a cat 3 or 4 after it passes cuba, but overall i think it's good news for everyone in its path because the further west into the gulf it goes, the more windshear it will encounter.

if the westward trend continues, the storm could hit the panhandle or ever further west, but likely as a weaker storm than if it barrels straight into the middle of florida like the track yesterday showed.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yessss my name is up there :kheldragar:

Same, I hope I gently caress up a bunch of Airbnbs on a coast somewhere

Fabulousity posted:

In the case of Katrina, Jacobson's model revealed that an array of 78,000 wind turbines off the coast of New Orleans would have significantly weakened the hurricane well before it made landfall.

Oh, just 78 loving thousand turbines? Why not done?

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 25, 2022

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
:pray: please ian keep heading west

EDIT: Wow my prayers were answered just like that, maybe there is a g-d after all

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wouldn't Ian heading west mean it not hitting Florida?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

right now the westward trend just means it's more likely to hit the FL panhandle and less likely to hit the middle of the peninsula.

further west would also mean more time over the gulf, which is usually bad because that water is very warm and can cause storms to rapidly intensify. but currently there's a lot of windshear between the upper and lower atmosphere in that area and it would probably weaken the storm a lot before it reaches the central gulf coast. so best guess is that the further west it goes, the less dangerous it will be when it makes landfall.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 25, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well alright but you promise it will still hit Florida?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no i can't promise that, look at this official forecast

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

5am projections from NOAA...

Looks about the same. It's projected to strengthen to a category 4, then probably weaken a bit to category 3 right before it his the panhandle.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Still putting up my second story shutters today here in good ol’ Cape Coral just in case it decides to take a Charlie-style right turn. Got my canned hams, my 45 gallons of water, and plenty of .45 long Colt.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Aiming to also tear up what locals refer to as the "rear end in a top hat" of Georgia.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have to be in Tampa for work the first week of October so if y’all can take care of this hurricane stuff by then it’d be great. :thanks:

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Anyone know how San Juan is doing in Puerto Rico? Power restored?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=regional-gulf-14-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

this looks scary

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

my names Ian and my goal is to wash DeSantis into the sea

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ian looked weak and disorganized today. the latest noaa recon mission only found ~50 mph winds in one small area.

good news for cuba so far, but still another day of development ahead before it reaches the island.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Ehud posted:

How are our Canadian goons doing?

I'm in PEI, poo poo's hosed for lack of a better term.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mik posted:

I'm in PEI, poo poo's hosed for lack of a better term.
Did y'all really lose Teapot Rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hope the weather is nice in canada where the power is out. that's always the worst part of the storm aftermath in the southeast US, no A/C while outdoor conditions are at peak humidity from all the rain.