Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's just unusual that the VR2, technically a peripheral for a console, is more expensive than the console itself.

I will preorder if I get a chance though, because it might end up being graphics card hell all over again with no units available or only above MSRP for a while.

And I strongly believe we will see someone enable the headset on PC really soon. And then it will probably sell like gangbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Given the quality of the hardware and its competition, it's not nonsense at all.

I'm honestly laughing at anyone who thought it wouldn't be even close to this high given the features in it. It's not like there's a whole market of of PCVR headsets in a compareable spec range to ballpark it or anything.

If anything, this is probably actually a bit on the the cheap side given the eye tracking on top of the resolution.

Hopper posted:

Yeah, it's just unusual that the VR2, technically a peripheral for a console, is more expensive than the console itself.

Welcome to the world of PCVR! :retrogames:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hopper posted:

What is usual in this market? There has been only one example.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm honestly laughing at anyone who thought it wouldn't be even close to this high given the features in it. It's not like there's a whole market of of PCVR headsets in a compareable spec range to ballpark it or anything.

If anything, this is probably actually a bit on the the cheap side given the eye tracking on top of the resolution.

I honestly thought it would be even higher after the price bump of the PS5, price inflation on other tech stuff and the ludicrously priced new Facebook helmet

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to the world of PCVR! :retrogames:

Yeah, I mean in the sense that I don't think there ever was an accessory more expensive than the bad eunit in the console universe apecifically.

Since I also have a gaming PC, I am familiar with the phenomenon of headsets, wheels etc costing more than your rig.

I was firmly expecting 500 € for a while, which is why I have those set aside already, so while I am a little surprised it is even higher than that, it is not a deal breaker for me.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 3, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fix posted:

What is usual in this market? There has been only one example.

I think it's unusual in the sense that you would not expect a VR headset as a console peripheral to be more expensive than the console itself and also more expensive than other entry level VR HMDs.

Tbh despite all of the cool features the price was still shocking to me. I didn't expect more than $400.

I'm not even that skeptical of the value as a piece of tech as much as I'm skeptical of how many people will buy it at that price point, from a company that historically abandons things that don't sell well enough.

Not even sure it's a deal breaker. I still want one but it's not like PS5 where despite all of the "no games" jokes it's still gonna have all the games. It's very possible the PSVR2 game situation could turn out to be pretty dire if not enough people buy it, and selling VR to the masses already seems like an uphill battle even without a huge price tag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it doesn't really scare me that I'd have to spend $150 more than I expected to get one. it scares me that a lot of other people are going to have to be ok with it too for me to have a worthwhile experience with it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's unusual in the sense that you would not expect a VR headset as a console peripheral to be more expensive than the console itself and also more expensive than other entry level VR HMDs.

It's not an entry level HMD. Given its feature set, why not?

I'm not saying I wish it weren't cheaper, but given what it's up against and how many it can realistically expect to sell, I'm not surprised at at the price.

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh despite all of the cool features the price was still shocking to me. I didn't expect more than $400.

The original needed ancient move wands and a ps3 camera and was bundled at like $500.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was 6 years ago. The price of the original PSVR is really not relevant at all.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

That was 6 years ago. The price of the original PSVR is really not relevant at all.

Fine, fine. What's the usual pricing model for a console based VR unit, then?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Use some common sense and look at other headsets on the market fix.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Man, there are no other headsets on the market that fit your criteria. Zero.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The gently caress are you doing? The gently caress are we doing? This is stupid as poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i cant buy vr bcuz i already bought a two hundred dollar controller

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
More expensive than the console itself with a launch library of eight mediocre rail shooters and it can't play PSVR1 games.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pirate Jet posted:

More expensive than the console itself with a launch library of eight mediocre rail shooters and it can't play PSVR1 games.

Don't worry, the console price will go up to compensate.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fix posted:

Don't worry, the console price will go up to compensate.

I would honestly be willing to forgive the price if the launch library wasn't so weak and/or had backwards compatibility to alleviate it. Yet another entry in the classic series of PlayStation having no games.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find the majority of PSVR1 games being ported and sold to us again so we have something to play.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hopper posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find the majority of PSVR1 games being ported and sold to us again so we have something to play.

I’m honestly not so sure about that. VR is still generally niche and the market may be too small to justify “remasters” of anything but its biggest staple games - and a lot of the developers of those staples have been bought up by companies who make the headsets, namely Meta. I doubt we’ll get a PS5/PSVR2 remaster of like, I dunno, Wolfenstein Cyberpilot, and the future is murky for getting Beat Saber on this thing now that they’re owned by the same company that makes Quests.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

In the PS blog post it mentions that 2 or 3 of the titles that are getting ported are free upgrades if you already have the original version. I'm guessing this will be a thing that Sony encourages even if they can't mandate it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just want to play Moss 2 - I sold my PSVR in anticipation for PSVR2 and never got to try it. I hope many devs port their PSVR games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fix posted:

Man, there are no other headsets on the market that fit your criteria. Zero.

What? There’s the psvr 1 which has sold for a fraction of the price for years now. The quest 2 has had a price bump but is still cheaper, much cheaper for the lower storage model, the rift S was a comparable bundle for $150 less, years ago. You are acting like the PSVR 2 exists in an unprecedented vacuum where no other VR headsets exist and it’s baffling.

My concern isn’t that it’s not worth $550, because honestly the tech sounds impressive, my concern is that gunning for a higher end device and attaching it to a video game console might be a really bad idea. And if no one else buys it, we aren’t getting games for it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

What? There’s the psvr 1 which has sold for a fraction of the price for years now. The quest 2 has had a price bump but is still cheaper, much cheaper for the lower storage model, the rift S was a comparable bundle for $150 less, years ago. You are acting like the PSVR 2 exists in an unprecedented vacuum where no other VR headsets exist and it’s baffling.

My concern isn’t that it’s not worth $550, because honestly the tech sounds impressive, my concern is that gunning for a higher end device and attaching it to a video game console might be a really bad idea. And if no one else buys it, we aren’t getting games for it.

There isn’t a single retailer that can keep luxury $500+ PlayStations in stock for even a day. Suddenly an extra $50 is gonna break the market? Nah…

It’s also worth mentioning the quest 2, a tad cheaper, also feels like poo poo to wear unless you spend and extra $50 on a ‘deluxe’ strap. And has worse specs in every way. Same with every other vr headset that’s not the Index or some Pico thing no one has heard of.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was thinking, how much would PSVR 1 have been at launch if you had to buy a camera and two Move controllers for it? Comparable to PSVR 2 today with what inflation there might have been?

Considering the tech involved and the two controllers does make it sting far less I have to say.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

I was thinking, how much would PSVR 1 have been at launch if you had to buy a camera and two Move controllers for it? Comparable to PSVR 2 today with what inflation there might have been?

Considering the tech involved and the two controllers does make it sting far less I have to say.

Launched October 2016, the bundle with camera/controllers/a game was $499. Inflation puts that at about $575 today.

So the VR2 is clearly a complete ripoff. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

There isn’t a single retailer that can keep luxury $500+ PlayStations in stock for even a day. Suddenly an extra $50 is gonna break the market? Nah…

It’s also worth mentioning the quest 2, a tad cheaper, also feels like poo poo to wear unless you spend and extra $50 on a ‘deluxe’ strap. And has worse specs in every way. Same with every other vr headset that’s not the Index or some Pico thing no one has heard of.

Why are you comparing a console to a headset? It’s not the same thing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Why are you comparing a console to a headset? It’s not the same thing.

Fair, and it only works if you already have the luxury console. Perhaps it will live or die by retailers having demo units for the public to get a taste?

In any case my view is heavy biased because I can’t believe Sony hit that price point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PS5 is not a “luxury console” in the same way that a $550 VR headset is luxury. $500 is a significant amount of money but not in a world where people spend $4000 on their PCs. 550 for a headset is luxury because the only other HMDs thag cost more than $400 are in enthusiast territory.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The PS5 is not a “luxury console” in the same way that a $550 VR headset is luxury. $500 is a significant amount of money but not in a world where people spend $4000 on their PCs. 550 for a headset is luxury because the only other HMDs thag cost more than $400 are in enthusiast territory.

Honestly I have the feeling that Sony looked at the numbers and realized that if someone’s buying into the PSVR, then they’re gonna buy into it. You can probably count the number of people who have a PSVR without Move controllers on one hand, and that basically covers the price difference right there.

“VR headset for a console” is a market segment that basically only Sony has (Nintendo Labo sort of counts i guess lol) so I think it makes sense they’re not really chasing the rest of the VR headset market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I don’t think you are wrong about that. The original psvr sold to such a low percentage of ps4 owners that it feels like they aimed for the people who were already all in with this one.

Which might not be a bad strategy but it’s likely not going to grow the user base either.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was all in on PSVR1 but the PSVR2 price and mediocre launch library has me pulling back. I think I'm gonna wait until there's a game I care about, and take the gamble on post-launch supply. I can't imagine how Sony is gonna sell this thing to a normal person. So yeah maybe they don't care to? I'm tempted to wonder if supply will be tight and so Sony is trying to avoid building a ton of demand that they can't satisfy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they are testing the waters to produce not on but close to demand. I can imagine anyone who wants a VR2 will jump at the chance to preorder to avoid chasing one for months and months. That may give them an idea about how many they are able to sell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to try to get one but I look at like I did the psvr, as a pricey tech demo. I’ve been promised good VR all my life and I’m still determined to experience that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If nothing else there’s a few games I’d be stoked to play at launch, and it’s almost certainly going to get a lot of third party support just like psvr 1 did.

I’m likely getting one I’m just worried about the first party game support in the long run

I really need to know how easy it will be to use on pc as well

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Launched October 2016, the bundle with camera/controllers/a game was $499. Inflation puts that at about $575 today.

So the VR2 is clearly a complete ripoff. :colbert:

Yeah, thanks for checking up on that. I guess it's not that bad after all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I really need to know how easy it will be to use on pc as well

I think this is the ace up their sleeve if adoption isn’t as quick as they want.

“Oh by the way you can plug it into your steam collection” suddenly offers a much bigger incentive to buy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really think that is an option. They probably would rather use that as an official selling point down the road than have some clever coders jury-rig something together

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In the PS blog post it mentions that 2 or 3 of the titles that are getting ported are free upgrades if you already have the original version. I'm guessing this will be a thing that Sony encourages even if they can't mandate it.

PSVR Without Parole, a fairly reliable source that has been ahead of everyone on PSVR2 scoops and got just about everything right, said that it has talked to multiple developers who have said that they will patch their PSVR games to work with PSVR2.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I got the pre-order email without signing up for it, but there is NO WAY I'm paying $550 for this thing next week.

I'm paying $600 for the bundle!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

PSVR Without Parole, a fairly reliable source that has been ahead of everyone on PSVR2 scoops and got just about everything right, said that it has talked to multiple developers who have said that they will patch their PSVR games to work with PSVR2.

That's not really big news considering most PSVR titles ported to SteamVR or even Quest. You're not gonna get the PSVR version, it'll be a port off the PC build.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m going to try to get one but I look at like I did the psvr, as a pricey tech demo. I’ve been promised good VR all my life and I’m still determined to experience that.

PSVR is nowhere near indicative of "proper" VR. It's not bad, but it's very much its own limited thing.