Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of ex, is there a rhyme or reason behind some having the Minstrel's Ballad moniker while others are simply called <name> (Extreme)?

as a general trend MSQ trials get the Minstrel's Ballad treatment while optional trials get the (Extreme) treatment, but even that is inconsistent at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm sure it's been done to death but you can do old EXs just use party finder not duty finder. No one queues for those and people are gonna dodge if they somehow accidentally mentor into it. That doesn't mean you need to get carried by a 90 either, there's people who'd be happy to do it synced but you need to advertise it and get people who actually want to do it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If it's lost on anyone, the wandering minstrel, et. al., are Yoship self insert characters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which is obvious because he's the only character in the entire game world who wears more than two rings.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they made him the game's producer because he was the guy at the office who looked the most like a Final Fantasy character

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering the state he inherited the game in it was as good reason as any to hire him on to the job.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's not really what happened, of course. What really happened was an executive ran into the room and screamed "Does anyone here play WoW????" and the whole office turned to point at Yoshida

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

That's not really what happened, of course. What really happened was an executive ran into the room and screamed "Does anyone here play WoW????" and the whole office turned to point at Yoshida

And drat if it didn't pay off

also do not speak ill of WoW in front of Yoshi-P he is actually a huge WoW fanboy and you will hurt his feelings

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well he's driven to make a WoW killer and for the most part he's succeeded as well as can be expected. He didn't kill WoW but he successfully carved out a profitable niche in the MMO landscape by taking parts of what WoW did correctly and combining them with his own design to make a unique fun game. To this day he still sanity checks the final build of each version of the game by playing it solo, if he can't beat it then it's back to the drawing board for tweaking and he does it on BLM. (I assume he's got some duty actions like variant or criterion dungeons)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

yoship is also a master at actually managing the team to get things out the door which is his true talent. He had a vision for the game and the leadership skills to actually pull it off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Watching Tataru attempt the level 1 Archanist quest was very cute.

I'm pretty sure the quest also recognizes if you've done it yourself and the text is changed accordingly too. That's a nice touch.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty sure the quest also recognizes if you've done it yourself and the text is changed accordingly too. That's a nice touch.

Not just that, the quest even has alternate dialogue for if you have started that quest to do it yourself but not completed it, for the .001% of players that would ever happen to.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Nitrousoxide posted:

That whole episode then gets referenced later in one or my favorite moments (STB trial series spoilers) when you’re in that one trial and Tataru tries to summon her carbuncle but can’t control it. Suddenly she’s running around panicking and chasing you with AOE markers like a total sprout

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

reversefungi posted:

That whole episode then gets referenced later in one or my favorite moments (STB trial series spoilers) when you’re in that one trial and Tataru tries to summon her carbuncle but can’t control it. Suddenly she’s running around panicking and chasing you with AOE markers like a total sprout

Then there's the final payoff in EW where a Studium researcher references a weird alone Carbuncle in the wild in LaNoscea that seems to have been summoned for a very long time, but only a summoner with giganormous reserves of aether would be able to pull off such a feat https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/rpmpl2/what_actually_happened_to_tatarus_carbuncle/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tataru and carbuncles like wizards and shotguns

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

just more proof that tataru is the most powerful scion

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished ARR. There’s some real goofy Gary’s Mod faces at the end there where I don’t know if they were intending those to be serious scenes but I just busted out laughing.

RIP the sultana, you were a real one. Kinda dumb though since you didn’t even tell your right hand you were planning to blow up the whole government of your city that evening and had zero practical plans to transition to a republic other than hopes and dreams. Honestly probably better that you got assassinated than you got a chance to go through with that dumb plan which would have just had your city dissolving into a civil war.

When they pop up a confirmation box saying “hey yo, you better be ready to set aside some time here. You sure bro?” They mean it. That had to be like a 40 minute cutscene.

Real jarring to go from that to the new VA’s in the next quest since I was used to them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished ARR. There’s some real goofy Gary’s Mod faces at the end there where I don’t know if they were intending those to be serious scenes but I just busted out laughing.

RIP the sultana, you were a real one. Kinda dumb though since you didn’t even tell your right hand you were planning to blow up the whole government of your city that evening and had zero practical plans to transition to a republic other than hopes and dreams. Honestly probably better that you got assassinated than you got a chance to go through with that dumb plan which would have just had your city dissolving into a civil war.

When they pop up a confirmation box saying “hey yo, you better be ready to set aside some time here. You sure bro?” They mean it. That had to be like a 40 minute cutscene.

Real jarring to go from that to the new VA’s in the next quest since I was used to them.

Welcome to Heavensward!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

The whole "I'll establish a Democracy to take the power out of the wealthy assholes" had me cynically chuckling over her naivety. Yeah no way the ultra wealthy could exploit that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or just start murdering.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Nitrousoxide posted:

The new VA for Alphinaud will slide right in very quickly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished ARR.

Regarding the faces, it's something they've been playing with over the course of the game. If you do the Hildibrand quests they're kinda a testing ground for that thing, playing with facial rigging in a setting where it's okay to look weird. The ones you noticed were definitely at the limits of what they could manage at the time, and there's a reason they don't stick around onscreen for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those pop up confirmation boxes will soon become a source of excitement, anxiety, and drat near any other emotion you can think of :)