Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Guildhests are that one "we trained him wrong, as a joke" gag except it's MMO content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vitamean posted:

Singling this out because it's such an interesting topic to me.
omg samesies.

quote:

After they added the Hall of the Novice, people started asking the devs to add some sort of "Hall of the Intermediates" or something that would teach more advanced party mechanics like the ones you mentioned. The devs acknowledged that people wanted it, but never committed on adding anything to the game.

I like what they've done instead, which is just to introduce those mechanics earlier through the recent ARR dungeon reworks. The reworks were primarily done in service to adding duty support NPCs, but it also allowed them to go back and give bosses markers that were developed waaaay later in the game. My two favorite examples are stack markers and tankbuster markers.

• It used to be the first mandatory stack marker a player would see is in the 3.3 trial. The marker itself was first seen in the 3.1 alliance raid, and there were stack mechanics before, but if you were someone who just pounded out the MSQ you wouldn't see it til then.
  • Tankbuster markers are more recent, coming in hot in the first Nier raid. I didn't even track when they started adding them to the MSQ, but at least by 6.0 you should've run into one in the MSQ.

A key thing about these things coming in earlier is that they're a lot more forgiving as you're first seeing them. A DPS can take an ARR tankbuster raw if for whatever reason the tank dies, getting hit by ground telegraphs does negligible damage, and you don't need all four people in a stack marker if one or two people are frolicking out in the fields. It also just helps the information stick better than someone going into a training instance for 10 minutes and just being given a rundown of basic combat markers.

Man, I'm a little surprised at how hard they nerfed ARR, and even the HW/StB stuff has been easier than I recall. As I was running the first part of Castrum Abania last night, I got a phone call I needed to take, and since I was playing with NPCs, who cares, so I just hit mute and talked on the phone. But I got curious as to how long it would take me to die if I did absolutely nothing (as a WAR). At one pull with 6 enemies, I kept thinking this was it, but nope. On the next pull - 5 enemies this time, I had to gather everyone in one place, so that ALL the AoEs - aimed directly at me or not - would hit me, and the last 2 enemies remaining finally got me. And again - only because I positioned myself to deliberately take more damage. Pretty sure unless you do a HUGE double pull and then do nothing, it's downright difficult to get killed in Solo content. Even more hilarious is if you DO get killed, there's a Very Easy option to try again - tripling your health/damage.

I can recall the first time I played (StB was the latest at the time), dying a lot more often - particularly to overworld stuff like Hunting Logs. Since I too live in fear of being "that guy", before I Tank something for the first time I will watch a video. But nearly every time I do, I watch and go "so the usual: hit things, don't stand in colors on the floor, pick up adds when they spawn. got it." and think I won't bother for the next one, because of how easy everything has been. (I always forget and watch a video anyway, because stoooooooner).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think it's so much that earlier content gets nerfed, although the with stat squish in EW that may have been a conscious decision, but potencies and overall power of abilities and toolkits get stronger, not even just numerically, to balance in the latest expansion.

Syncing is also a huge thing throughout as well. The first time we all did SB or ShB dungeons or whatever, it was pretty much four people in whatever scraps they had from the past few levels, and probably not even max level for the dungeon. Now the majority of the party is typically synced. Goes a long way to putting some bite back into earlier content.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quiggy posted:

The Guildhests are wildly out of date, but I think the core idea is great. I'd love to see some reworks where the individual Guildhests instances are "the one that teaches you about stack markers" or "the one that teaches you about meteors" or whatever

Yeah! Put a baby Behemoth in a guildhest to teach sprouts how to hide greed

lines
Aug 18, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah! Put a baby Behemoth in a guildhest to teach sprouts how to hide greed

Ultimately this is if anything the point of Labyrinth of the Ancients nowadays. Third Ancient Flare Skip is real but only if you believe! Good for people to learn that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Vitamean posted:

It's very likely that there's at least one veteran in an duty finder party that can clarify anything, though. Like, I dunno when the very first stack marker appears now (brayflox?) but if someone's too far they'd be able to bring up "hey, we want everyone in this". The tankbuster thing I think works because if a newbie healer is still getting used to their kit they don't want to feel like the party cascading into a wipe is solely their fault just because they didn't manage to prevent the tank from dying just before the boss queued up a tb. There is a ramp up, though, so I think if you keep making those same mistakes as a new player move further along into ARR's mandatory content they'll see the consequences of messing them up start to build.

The first stack marker I'm aware of is with Nero.

I assumed it was a fancy danger marker and wiped with NPCs a few times until the RNG centered it on someone other than me. People explained it to me later when I was causing party wipes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

lines posted:

Ultimately this is if anything the point of Labyrinth of the Ancients nowadays. Third Ancient Flare Skip is real but only if you believe! Good for people to learn that.

What the gently caress, who gets to a third Ancient Flare??

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Ojjeorago posted:

What the gently caress, who gets to a third Ancient Flare??

Maybe I'm forgetting how many the normal number is.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
the normal number is two

if enough players are doing good damage and (crucially) enough of them believe, you can skip the 2nd one

i have definitely died several times because not enough people believed when we clearly had enough to make it

lines
Aug 18, 2013

parasyte posted:

the normal number is two

if enough players are doing good damage and (crucially) enough of them believe, you can skip the 2nd one

i have definitely died several times because not enough people believed when we clearly had enough to make it

Right yeah this is it. Three sessions of damage but you can do two if you believe. The worst is when some believe but some are faithless.

It's going to be weird if when we're all synced down from Lv100 it's possible to reliably skip.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's so much lost to time/damage increases in ct I wonder what'd happen if people saw them again. CoD snakes or glasya labolas platforms.

Hell, glasya labolas' first mechanic. I can't remember the last time I've seen that resolve.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Attack on Princess posted:

The first stack marker I'm aware of is with Nero.

I assumed it was a fancy danger marker and wiped with NPCs a few times until the RNG centered it on someone other than me. People explained it to me later when I was causing party wipes.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yi_W4FpG8
Yeah, they've normalized a lot of the markers but they don't always communicate what they do the first time you see them.

Vitamean posted:

there's so much lost to time/damage increases in ct I wonder what'd happen if people saw them again. CoD snakes or glasya labolas platforms.

Hell, glasya labolas' first mechanic. I can't remember the last time I've seen that resolve.

I remember the first time a Hydra fight went on long enough for me to learn it used Pyretic. I was aghast, I thought that mechanic first showed up in Stormblood.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

HaB posted:

Even playing the second time around (just killed Xenos), there are gigantic portions of things I completely forgot because just: too much information at once. I suppose once games are around for that long, and have years of lore built up, it's difficult to figure out how to drop someone who has never heard any of it into the game, because it's difficult to make it NOT feel like you are drinking from the firehose.

The Smith's stuff you can do at the beginning to get that one ring should be expanded out to include some of the more common dungeon mechanics: Tank Busters, Stacks, Circle Markers, etc.

"too much information at once"
"they should add more information into the smith's stuff"
:thunk:

a lot of people learn by doing so there's no much point in trying to explain absolutely everything beforehand
I don't know why people think it's such a big deal when people don't know all the mechanics and play perfectly right away.

Myself if I'm going to do pve I enjoy when it's messy and chaotic (heck I find it fun to wipe) rather than a perfectly railroaded run where I just have to press my buttons in an endlessly repeating sequence

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

They absolutely should have something explaining the various markers in-game. They're getting better at standardizing them and it's really baffling to see some of them with zero other info for the first time.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
There's a lot of things that aren't told to you by anyone but other players that the game could be way better about tutorializing.

Basically everything from JoCat's Crap Guide series should be taught in-game somehow - and it's not a lot of info considering that those videos are each five minutes long and most of that runtime is going over what the various classes do. Healers are actually DPS classes, tanks should keep the boss still and facing away from the party (and also use their mitigation skills), you should use your AoE attack on 3 or more enemies, you should try to use your two minute buffs at the same time as everyone else so everyone benefits from them while doing their burst etc etc.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm going through the SHB leveling dungeons for the first time, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up heals on the tank when they're doing big pulls. While they rarely die, I usually have to focus all of my attention and abilities on keeping the tank alive and can't really do any kind of DPS to help take down the many mobs they pull. Is there anything I should be doing to help keep the Tank in a better position? I'm a WHM and up til now I've been fine just keeping Regen up and using lilies as necessary but it almost feels like my lillies are falling off in potency and they barely do anything to restore health. I could be doing more to upgrade my iLevel but I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter until you hit max level content for that expansion anyways

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Simsmagic posted:

I'm going through the SHB leveling dungeons for the first time, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up heals on the tank when they're doing big pulls. While they rarely die, I usually have to focus all of my attention and abilities on keeping the tank alive and can't really do any kind of DPS to help take down the many mobs they pull. Is there anything I should be doing to help keep the Tank in a better position? I'm a WHM and up til now I've been fine just keeping Regen up and using lilies as necessary but it almost feels like my lillies are falling off in potency and they barely do anything to restore health. I could be doing more to upgrade my iLevel but I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter until you hit max level content for that expansion anyways

I find the ilvl starts mattering midway through the expansion, normally.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Leveling dungeons are weird in that regard; they do care about gear but it's hard to get gear as you're leveling through them, beyond drops from the dungeons themselves. Their sync is harsher than former level-cap content because the gear range is smaller.

On your end, remember that starting with Holy until the cumulative stun resistance wears off is a good 10 seconds of the tank not getting hit AND you contributing damage. Be free with all your off-globals, don't think of something like tetra as an emergency tool. Cure 2/3 is the emergency tool, tetra is your first line of defense.

Watch the tank's buff bar if you can, and if they're not using at least 2, maybe 3 cooldowns for a multi-pull, get on their rear end about it. They can contribute as much as you can. Mitigation kits are largely complete by level 70 regardless of job.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mister Olympus posted:

Leveling dungeons are weird in that regard; they do care about gear but it's hard to get gear as you're leveling through them, beyond drops from the dungeons themselves. Their sync is harsher than former level-cap content because the gear range is smaller.

On your end, remember that starting with Holy until the cumulative stun resistance wears off is a good 10 seconds of the tank not getting hit AND you contributing damage. Be free with all your off-globals, don't think of something like tetra as an emergency tool. Cure 2/3 is the emergency tool, tetra is your first line of defense.

Watch the tank's buff bar if you can, and if they're not using at least 2, maybe 3 cooldowns for a multi-pull, get on their rear end about it. They can contribute as much as you can. Mitigation kits are largely complete by level 70 regardless of job.
This is all really good advice. Holy might be the best GCD skill for regular enemies. It's basically a 10 second invulnerability button for the tank every single pull - that's the equivalent of the Paladin's Hallowed Ground invulnerability cooldown but better. And yeah, the tank should have SOME form of mitigation up 90% of the time during most dungeon pulls, especially by level 70 where everyone has their short cooldowns available.

I will second everything said about oGCD heals. They're your primary form of healing at all times and I cannot stress that enough. GCD heals are emergency buttons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GilliamYaeger posted:

I will second everything said about oGCD heals. They're your primary form of healing at all times and I cannot stress that enough. GCD heals are emergency buttons.

WHM Lillies of course are an exception.

Regardless, you need to be using your entire toolkit. Use Benediction early and often. Tetra and Asylum should basically never be off cooldown. Even divine benison is almost as strong as a lily spell or cure 2 on a fast cooldown.

Leveling dungeons are typically harder than most end game dungeons anyways, so your item level will help out a lot if you give it some attention. And if it's not obvious, your weapon is your single most important piece of gear, even as a healer.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2024

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Mister Olympus posted:

On your end, remember that starting with Holy until the cumulative stun resistance wears off is a good 10 seconds of the tank not getting hit AND you contributing damage.

So what do you mean by this? Do you mean spamming Holy, or just using it once at the start of the encounter? I have been using it during pulls but I don't feel like the stun has always been that strong in mitigating damage, maybe I just need to be more intelligent in how I use it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

keep in mind that tho "GCD heals are a last-resort" is true it's not unlikely that you're gonna need to pull them out in random leveling dungeons featuring I'm The Main Character tanks and dps so lethargic that the mob pulls stretch dangerously close to two minutes each

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Start with holy. Swiftcast the first one if you can and then just keep spamming it until you can't.

You get 4, then 2, then 1 second of stun, even if you cast it while the stun is still active, so you don't need to time it, just keep casting. There are weird edge cases where you actually get more effective time than that too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Simsmagic posted:

So what do you mean by this? Do you mean spamming Holy, or just using it once at the start of the encounter? I have been using it during pulls but I don't feel like the stun has always been that strong in mitigating damage, maybe I just need to be more intelligent in how I use it?
Spam it at the start. There's a mechanic where you get diminishing returns on stunning the same monster, until they're eventually immune entirely. Once they're totally immune, you can still spam it for DPS so things die faster, but it becomes less important. But those first ten seconds of holy spam are both damage AND mitigation.

e:f;b

Another trick is that you can keep the tank targeted while spamming Holy, so you can throw your OGCD heals on them in between Holy casts.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 24, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Simsmagic posted:

You should ideally be using Holy back-to-back though the entire mob pull, start to finish, pausing only to throw out a quick oGCD heal in-between casts or to throw out an emergency GCD heal if you're out of oGCDs. A healer is in my experience competitive DPS wise with actual DPS classes in multiple target fights, so your damage output is actually genuinely meaningful.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 24, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Just going to echo this one. I see a lot of tanks who seem to think that Rampart and Vengeance/Sentinel/Shadow Wall/Nebula are stuff they should save for emergencies instead of routinely using, and it does make the healer's job a lot harder if the tank isn't using their mitigations properly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Speaking of WHM tools, I'm ashamed to say it, but I've mained WHM since ARR and yet I've spent all of Endwalker not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do with Liturgy of the Bell. It feels like one of those "pop it right before a raidwide and hope you can mitigate another couple raidwides with it" spells.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pretty much all healers will want to spam as many aoe attacks in a pull as possible, it's just WHM has a side benefit of their aoe having a stun effect that, effectively, gives the tank about ten seconds of invulnerability (if the enemies are all stunned the tank isn't taking damage).

A good healer can speed up a dungeon run very quickly being a green dps, if they can trust their tank and the proper dpses. I'm not a great healer so I usually do more healing than is ideal but I try to keep up with the tanks running the standard multipull.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazinsal posted:

Speaking of WHM tools, I'm ashamed to say it, but I've mained WHM since ARR and yet I've spent all of Endwalker not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do with Liturgy of the Bell. It feels like one of those "pop it right before a raidwide and hope you can mitigate another couple raidwides with it" spells.

Even in the worst case, that it triggers on one aoe and then you trigger it, is worth 1200 potency. That's nothing to sneeze at.

But there are multiple bosses, from dungeons through all levels of raids, that have attacks that hit multiple times, or cast back to back raidwides. They even use those multi-hit stack markers now and then. It's an ability that really that benefits from knowing what mechanics are and when things like that happen.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Is Aurum Vale supposed to be a difficulty spike?

My White Mage is level 62 and i126, wrapping up ARR. Blind "Leveling Roulette" runs have gone well, but Aurum Vale was rough. I never had that many wipes before. It destroyed my confidence. We were off to a rocky start from the first pull, where in hindsight I should have stuck to the tank to not lose line of sight. That put me on edge for the whole run.

I barely understand the fruit mechanic. Should I eat fruit when I recognize the debuff thing, or is it a stacking debuff that it's best to clear later? Does the fruit go to inventory or is it automatically eaten on interaction? I was too flustered to check.

And for trash, the tank got chipped hard through regen while mass pulling. I felt I had to Cure 2 before Holy, which spiraled into Cure 2 spam. I didn't dare swiftcast Holy because I wanted instant ress available.

Hopefully it was just first time anxiety, but cliff notes are welcome if you have them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 24, 2024

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Allow me to reply in meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFX9kQJaZr0

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aurum Vale is definitely a dungeon that trips folks up a lot. It's unusually obtuse at points. It syncs to i49 I think as well.

Eat the fruit at two stacks, it's an automatic cleanse when you use the world object. The tank overpulling on it is something the tank should probably recognize -- it's one of two dungeons from that era that you just can not wallpull on because the amount of damage coming in from 2-3 packs is way higher than the output of an ilvl synced healer can counter (the other being Stone Vigil Hard).

Plus people will just step in the golden goop and eat poo poo and not recognize cause and effect.

Don't sweat it too much. That instance sucks.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, thank you. That's a relief.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stone Vigil Hard is one that annoys me specifically because, as a healer main, tanks will wallpull, we wipe, and the tank goes "heals???????" in party chat, and if I queue in as a tank and get it, and I take it slow, I get bitched at for not wallpulling (because I know wallpulling will wipe us).

loving Stone Vigil.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Attack on Princess posted:

We were off to a rocky start from the first pull
The meme video linked kinda covers it but the first room of Aurum Vale is uniquely bad. The plants are ranged so if you want to get them closer to the party then they have to be LOSd, but the tank may then run out of LOS from the healer and/or the tank may not get threat on all of the plants so they then start hitting the healer. Then you have the frogs that can pull a party member to them which may also aggro another group of enemies. It's just a rough room all around; Kazinsal also mentioned the sync issue where it pulls you to level 49 so you don't get the better level 50 gear and skills.

My choice route is to hug the left wall of the first room, and then pull enemies into the boss room just over the purple line without aggroing the boss.

Also a note for you and Simsmagic up the thread a little is that you can be playing great as a healer but if your tank isn't mitigating damage and/or the DPSs are taking unnecessary damage, things may go wrong still. You can do your best to try to keep things together but sometimes you can't fix everything on your own and that's okay. You wipe, run back, and hopefully the other players play a little better next time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aurum Vale is just one of those situations where you just have to take it slow, at least in the first couple of rooms. At least in that one it's common knowledge among experienced players not to push too hard or judge people for small pulls.

I've seen successful megapulls in AV and pre-rework Stone Vigil normal but in both cases the tank and healer were both queued together and had a plan going in.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 24, 2024

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Simsmagic posted:

On top of what people have said, I'd note that in particular the level 71 dungeon enemies have surprisingly high damage output, and the level 79 dungeon allows some very spicy megapulls if the tank is that way inclined

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
AV (or the first room at least) is like a WoW dungeon that's randomly wandered into FF14.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For the record a lot of old ARR dungeons used to be, if not nearly as bad, then at least as janky. All of those that were required for the MSQ were reworked relatively recently in order to add Duty Support to them and their rough edges were smoothed out in the process. Aurum Vale did not receive this treatment, as it is technically optional, and its only rework involve adding telegraphs to the second boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I still miss old Coincounter. Four different types of aoe, with no ground visuals. He used to be just as sprout-hungry as the first room.

Of all the nerfs that Piss Cave needed, Coincounter Classic was the most fun part, imo.