Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

I almost exclusively play sage in crystalline conflict and I don't think I've ever put kardia on anyone except for myself.

I try to put it on someone I expect will be running in to take damage (so, most tanks except paladin, or samurai > monk > any other melee dps if a tank isn't in my party) and just let jesus take the wheel after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Got a story question, post ShB, pre-EW:

If Thancred broke his magic gland or whatever and could no longer manipulate aether, how was he able to transfer his Soul/Memories to that crystal to travel back to the Source?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Post-ShB: Glossed over/forgotten, in all likelihood.

A charitable read is that he's certainly in the company of enough experts to do it for him but ultimately I think Thancred's inability to channel aether is forgotten the instant it isn't relevant to anything going on. Even in the same fight that it's very relevant(he needs Ryne's charged shells to gunbreak Ran'jit) he can effectively use magic(perfect stealth without any cover in plain sight of an ultimate world class fighter, outfoxing his magical attacks powered by a supernatural beast.)

Same rules as the Garlaen boss commanders or Y'shtola's eyes, really.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HaB posted:

Got a story question, post ShB, pre-EW:

If Thancred broke his magic gland or whatever and could no longer manipulate aether, how was he able to transfer his Soul/Memories to that crystal to travel back to the Source?

He's functionally a weak Garlean now - he can still use magic under some circumstances, but he needs assistance to do it. Hence why he can still use a Gunblade.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, I'm midway through the 2.4 MSQ and this is finally starting to get interesting. Now it's not just moving busywork or monster of the week stuff but shadowy infiltrators in Ul'dah and Ascians manipulating the Holy See.

Opening up the Snowcloak dungeon really is a pretty good cutoff point for where I'm starting to get invested again. I also really like its music. Plus, I think that dungeon is the first one where I think the music doesn't get interrupted on every pull, just on boss ones.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Doomykins posted:

Post-ShB: Glossed over/forgotten, in all likelihood.

A charitable read is that he's certainly in the company of enough experts to do it for him but ultimately I think Thancred's inability to channel aether is forgotten the instant it isn't relevant to anything going on. Even in the same fight that it's very relevant(he needs Ryne's charged shells to gunbreak Ran'jit) he can effectively use magic(perfect stealth without any cover in plain sight of an ultimate world class fighter, outfoxing his magical attacks powered by a supernatural beast.)

Same rules as the Garlaen boss commanders or Y'shtola's eyes, really.

These all have explanations.

Thancred's shenanigans almost kill him - you even get that near death heartbeat sound when you do it, Garleans typically just use magitech, and Y'shtola can see aether, and thus basically everything anyways - the NA localization made it sound more dangerous to do than it was supposed to. It uses her personal aether to do it, but not much, and she can just restore it by eating a sandwhich or something.

So yeah, Thancred can probably do it, guided and assisted by all the experts in the room. Or if it's anything like a fast soul stone as far as gathering memories go, a passive process on his end.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, I'm midway through the 2.4 MSQ and this is finally starting to get interesting. Now it's not just moving busywork or monster of the week stuff but shadowy infiltrators in Ul'dah and Ascians manipulating the Holy See.

Yeah this is generally the time people think the story starts going uphill again. Got some good stuff coming.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ohhh, it makes sense that he's forcing stealth magic at the cost of his health. I thought he was just willpowering it on open ground and plot and he was a magical blank entirely. Or he was stopping his heart and this made him invisible somehow instead of a visible man in physical shock. Masking my vital signs anime insanity.

Now I think that fight and Thancred are even cooler! Thank you. :3:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Don't forget about the zenos short story where he stabs a crystal into his hand to act as the power source for a spell, i imagine thancred was doing something similar there

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2024/youkai-watch/j9rq1fpxxd

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

some kind of minion event starting 24th to Dawntrail release.

e; quote is not edit

Qwezz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 17, 2024

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

manjimutt is the most important minion in the game

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there a guide or something to what I should be hanging onto? I have a vague understanding that a lot of the stuff that drops from mobs can be safely disposed of, but I don't know if there are certain things that might make my life easier if I just hold onto it now.

Also, how should I get rid of stuff? I've just been turning my dungeon loot drops in for company seals, but I don't know if that's the most efficient use of them. For all the mob drops, do I vendor them? Try to sell them on the market board?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

404notfound posted:

Is there a guide or something to what I should be hanging onto? I have a vague understanding that a lot of the stuff that drops from mobs can be safely disposed of, but I don't know if there are certain things that might make my life easier if I just hold onto it now.

Also, how should I get rid of stuff? I've just been turning my dungeon loot drops in for company seals, but I don't know if that's the most efficient use of them. For all the mob drops, do I vendor them? Try to sell them on the market board?

Company seals is a decent way to get rid of your dungeon drops, the main alternative is desynthesis. Depends on how much stuff you want that can be got with company seals.

For stuff you can marketboard, I normally see how much it's selling for and if it's low then just vendor it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
i don't bother to keep much if it's worth less than like 100-150 gil on the market board, i just vendor it and don't worry about whatever i'd be losing

mob drops are basically only useful for crafting, and if you're limited on space not worth keeping around unless it's particularly valuable which mob drops generally aren't

if you do need something later when crafting, basically:
  • buy with gil, if you have a bunch
  • send a (combat) retainer to get it for you, if you don't want to pay
  • farm it yourself, if you're impatient and broke

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Keep in mind that anything you're hanging onto because "It's valuable so I might need it later" can just be sold for gil now and bought when/if you need it later. That really helped my hoarding instincts for a lot of stuff.

How much a mob drop needs to sell for before you consider it worth trying to marketboard is going to depend on you and your money. These days I personally don't consider anything under 1000 gil to be worth the effort, but there was a time when I very much did.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think 100 gil is a good threshold, but honestly, you may as well use all your marketboard sales slots if you have them open. No need to dither until you start to run out of space.

EDIT: Also, check what stuff autosells for. Most items only sell for 1 or 2 gil, but there's a fair amount of stuff (obsolete battle materia, mostly) that's regularly listed on the MB at or below its autosell, so just sell it from your inventory and skip a step.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 17, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Qwezz posted:

some kind of minion event starting 24th to Dawntrail release.

That looks absolutely horrifying.

I want it!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Attack on Princess posted:

That looks absolutely horrifying.

I want it!
Even better if you're a summoner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One thing to note about the event is that the FATE grinding encourages people to blitz through them as fast as possible, and Blue Mage especially can tear through lower level ones, so it's best to join up with a dedicated group in specific zones rather than trying to do it solo.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I've become pretty ruthless over the years with my inventory. Drops from leveling don't accumulate in useful amounts, so they go. The hundred different types of food quests give you? I just vendor it. A stack of eggs gives you the only really useful food stat for leveling, the xp buff. Gear I only keep if I really like the look. Otherwise it's sell or seals. I have extra retainers so I try to sell them there, but only if I can get more than a 1000g or so. If I had only two retainers I'd bump that up much more. Maybe it's not the most efficient but I remember what my bags and retainers used to look like and I'm much happier this way. The leveling process is long and you will pick up A LOT of stuff. Get on top of it early and make your future self's life easier.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Also around the bottom left-ish of the item's tooltip, if the item is sold by an NPC there'll be a line that says it's sold by an NPC. And if it is you can safely pitch it into the void. If it's exactly 100 or 1000 gil then it's likely sold by the Calamity Salvager, in which case you can also safely pitch it into the void.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, learning what vendors sell what and where they are is hugely valuable, especially if you get into crafting. There are a ton of ARR crafting mats that you can just buy from the guilds for trivial gil instead of grinding for or getting scalped on the MB.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, learning what vendors sell what and where they are is hugely valuable, especially if you get into crafting. There are a ton of ARR crafting mats that you can just buy from the guilds for trivial gil instead of grinding for or getting scalped on the MB.

In addition to guilds, there's also the material and furniture vendors located in the residential areas. They sell a bunch of stuff not found elsewhere.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am confused about World/Data Center travel.

I guess my question is: does it help with DF queue times if you travel somewhere crowded?

A friend seems to think it does not, but I can't think of any other good reasons to actually do it if it doesn't help.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

HaB posted:

I guess my question is: does it help with DF queue times if you travel somewhere crowded?

A friend seems to think it does not, but I can't think of any other good reasons to actually do it if it doesn't help.

World travel won't do anything because df is across all worlds on your data center.

Travelling to a different data center definitely does make a difference, whether the difference is positive depends on population. If you're on dynamics data center and travel to aether you'll almost certainly get faster queues

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

HaB posted:

Reasons to use world travel:

1) Access a different marketboard.
2) Kill additional Rank A/S Hunt targets or maybe spawn rare FATEs.
3) Meet up with friends.

Reasons to use Data Central travel:

1) Better queue times for stuff like Alliance Raid or Frontlines.
2) Access different marketboards.
3) Meet up with friends.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i haven't really tried duty finder on aether, but i don't find the duty finder on primal has gotten appreciably worse. that said, if you do activities that rely on party finder, such as on-tier savage raiding, doing old extreme trials and savage raids synced, blue mage parties, etc. you'll find that any american data center but aether is nearly a ghost town

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Region wide DF/PF should absolutely be their top priority, it's frankly ridiculous they don't have that a decade in.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

a cartoon duck posted:

i haven't really tried duty finder on aether, but i don't find the duty finder on primal has gotten appreciably worse. that said, if you do activities that rely on party finder, such as on-tier savage raiding, doing old extreme trials and savage raids synced, blue mage parties, etc. you'll find that any american data center but aether is nearly a ghost town

Duty finder doesn't change much unless your DC is severely underpopulayed, because people don't bother to DC travel for roulettes.

But party finder is a different story and people will absolutely travel to their regions preferred DC. Chaos DC in EU is well populated and has good queue times but the party finder is dead compared to light.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

a cartoon duck posted:

i haven't really tried duty finder on aether, but i don't find the duty finder on primal has gotten appreciably worse.
I don't do roulettes but my 6.5 alliance raid experience was that Aether did have faster queues for it. Not that it wouldn't pop, but it would take a few more minutes. Queuing for it on Primal after Tuesday on a DPS job meant waiting 5-6 minutes for the queue to pop but when queuing for it on Aether on any day of the week, it would pop in under a minute. Not a big enough issue for me to DC travel with my Primal character to Aether but a noticeable difference when I was playing on my Aether character.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

Duty finder doesn't change much unless your DC is severely underpopulayed, because people don't bother to DC travel for roulettes.

But party finder is a different story and people will absolutely travel to their regions preferred DC. Chaos DC in EU is well populated and has good queue times but the party finder is dead compared to light.

Judging from the number of Dynamis players in my roulettes it sure seems like they do

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My static has been raiding on Dynamis lately and I've been fond enough of the place to make an alt there, and the queue times are especially rough when you straight queue in to stuff. It's especially bad with alliance raids, even crystal tower. It seems like the community has shifted to requesting help for anything after ARR in PF, and I think it's kinda neat that This 76 Week Old Datacenter Still Does Duties The Old Fashioned Way but it's a big difference from queuing for stuff on other NADC.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mainwaring posted:

Maybe not for current roulettes, but in particular if you're trying to catch up on older content like raids, duty finder in NA is dead anywhere but Aether. Don't be like me and spend 90 minutes Mandervilling on the Cloud Deck before giving up and going to Aether for a 5 minute duty pop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, I wish I'd known about that a week ago. I spent 8 hours a day sitting in "The Navel (Extreme)" queues while I worked hoping to get that pop to finish those unlocking quests.

Finally, got it yesterday, and it was the first one that almost didn't finish before the group timer ran out

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, I wish I'd known about that a week ago. I spent 8 hours a day sitting in "The Navel (Extreme)" queues while I worked hoping to get that pop to finish those unlocking quests.

Finally, got it yesterday, and it was the first one that almost didn't finish before the group timer ran out

No one queues for those in general. That in particular is not a data center problem.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nitrousoxide posted:

even inside aether, queueing for extremes is the worse option because it syncs you down and people don't want to deal with old mechanics for minimal reward. definitely clear those out in PF

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They should really add a popup if you queue for an Extreme or Savage in DF saying like, "Please don't" and referring you to PF

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's not like free trial players have much of a choice, unless they just happen to see the exact content they're looking for already in pf.

They're not difficult fights at this point, even synced. ilvl is quite generous, and potency inflation has also made everyone quite a lot stronger. Most of the time I see people going into them they knock out a clear by the end of the lockout anyways, as long as they're reasonably communicative, which at times is a problem. Just running in with a max ilvl person also isn't the experience most people want.

The only other problem is the lack of people queuing. The audience for them will be quite sparse, and then you're dependent on mentors trying to grind out an ugly mount. Which is just lol, lmao.

But having a popup when you try to do something that's built into the game telling you not to is weird.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I suppose I could have looked up some how-to's for the mechanics on those. And maybe I got lucky with the group. But there were some really helpful players in those groups that explained how to manage the mechanics on them. Ramuh (with the aggro trading between tanks) and Titan (with the arena changing size) had pretty non-obvious techniques for a group of randos doing their leveling who'd never seen it before, and they used actual party waymarks to show people where to stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Titan doesn't lock you out of the entire fight anymore if you fall off, even in Extreme, right? Because that was the biggest problem when I tried to do it forever ago.