Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arist posted:

Titan doesn't lock you out of the entire fight anymore if you fall off, even in Extreme, right? Because that was the biggest problem when I tried to do it forever ago.

Your dead body spawns back in the center of the arena.

Mind you when half the party gets blown off I never saw the healers recover it from there. But when one or two getting blown off I saw them get revived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, it can be frustrating because there's really no way to know going in what to expect and assumptions vary wildly between different games.
The Basics
--Dungeons, Trials, Alliance Raids: these are "just show up and figure it out on the fly" difficulty. Sometimes one's built a little weirdly and one person can really screw things up (when things are labeled A B C in an alliance raid, look at what group you're in and listen to what people say), but they're balance around people not knowing what's going on. Just queue up in duty finder or whatever, if anyone gives you grief for it it's a them problem.
--Trials (Hard): same as above but I'm singling them out because it's a weird name difference that matters for all of 5 seconds. This refers to trials that are max-level (for their expansion) but similar difficulty to other Trials. Mainly comes up for the basic Primals where you have, for example, Ifrit at level 20 and Ifrit (Hard) at level 50.
--Normal Raids: generally as above, but need a note that the ARR ones are signifigantly harder (they hadn't really figured out what to do with them) so should not be blindly queued for and the Heavensward ones have a couple fiddly bits. Not a reason not to queue for HW normal raids, just be aware some people might gripe about having to do certain ones and if things go badly in it you'll learn why.

The Intermediates

--Trials (Extreme): these are a notable step above the basics, with mechanics that can be very punishing if you mess them up. Probably best to have some idea of what's going on and use a Party Finder to put together a group for them. Preparation will often include things like "giving each player a direction they want to go for certain attacks so nobody's standing on each other". Some of these can be pretty simple "everyone's looking after themselves" things, others might require coordination between specific people (Leviathan Extreme for example has a lot of add management and planned stuns that can get out of hand REALLY quickly if someone misses one)

The Hards
--Savage Raids: these are harder versions of Normal Raids (there is no hard version of Alliance Raids). Some people might argue they should be in the same category as Extremes, but I'm making the list so nyah. Generally harder than Extreme Trials, but in much the same way. Instead of "everyone have general directions to go so you don't get in each others' way" it might be "stand where these two lines on the arena cross so that your AoE doesn't hit a teammate standing on these OTHER arena lines", and there can be a lot more interaction between players. Pretty much every single one will have a mechanic called "the hard part" that really filters who can complete the dang thing until they understand how they work. Some of these parts aren't particularly hard, they just really punish the raid if anyone messes up.

--Ultimate Raids: these are bespoke fights designed to be difficult with no Normal equivalent. They are generally endurance matches of multiple Extreme/Savage-level bosses in sequence or layered on top of each other to complicate mechanics. Designed to be very tight in what they ask of the players. They are challenging, they are exhausting, they are also a heck of a lot of fun and often set up a spectacle to feel as huge as they are demanding of the player.

Anything Basic you can just queue for and figure it out as you go. Intermediate/Hard it's generally considered good form to have an idea of what you're getting into (whether that just means reading a text guide so when X happens you know that it's called X and what the safe spots look like or memorizing a full video, depends on the player and who they're running with). It is absolutely possible to run them blind and figure them out on the fly, but you kinda owe it to your party to let them know that going into the thing. Teaching a blind player can be fun, but not if you've been surprised by that need. Ultimates are a step above that, know the vibe of the group going in and try to match them. Especially after one's been "solved" for a while you can find both silly and serious groups for them, but it's something that demands at least a base level of "paying attention" beyone what Extremes or Savages do.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Arist posted:

They should really add a popup if you queue for an Extreme or Savage in DF saying like, "Please don't" and referring you to PF
From what I've gathered, JP data centers do queue for current Extremes and Savages using Duty Finder so the system seems unlikely to change. The impression I've gotten is that they use Party Finder groups for prog and then Duty Finder is for clearing, versus NA using Party Finder for both.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, I wish I'd known about that a week ago. I spent 8 hours a day sitting in "The Navel (Extreme)" queues while I worked hoping to get that pop to finish those unlocking quests.

Finally, got it yesterday, and it was the first one that almost didn't finish before the group timer ran out
As mentioned, people just don't really queue for Extremes and Savages on NA data centers. Unlike other content, roulettes do not filter people into those fights except for one specific roulette for Mentors. The other content gets people filling into them via the commonly available roulettes like Leveling, Trial, and Alliance Raid.

It's good you were able to get queues to pop for those fights but if you'd like to save some time moving forward, it's best to use Party Finder; people are usually pretty happy to clear things unsynced (as in, not getting synced down to the level of the fight so a level 90 character can go in and kill Titan Extreme in a few seconds) but also if you want to clear the fight(s) synced, you get to set expectations and strategize before going into the instance and such.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

--Normal Raids: generally as above, but need a note that the ARR ones are signifigantly harder (they hadn't really figured out what to do with them) so should not be blindly queued for and the Heavensward ones have a couple fiddly bits. Not a reason not to queue for HW normal raids, just be aware some people might gripe about having to do certain ones and if things go badly in it you'll learn why.

Note that the ARR normal raids are not in the Normal Raid Roulette, and you can safely queue for that blind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
every free trial player needs to befriend one unhinged end game player who will make PFs for them.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
When you think about it, a person doing blind Extremes in Duty Finder is just one clear away from becoming a jaded veteran repeating Extremes in Duty Finder.

We're not so different, you and I! :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oh heck yeah Sultana, abdicate after dissolving the ruling council. Great idea. What's the worst that could happen?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh heck yeah Sultana, abdicate after dissolving the ruling council. Great idea. What's the worst that could happen?

In her defense she's twelve.

Okay, not THAT young, but she's about the only Lala who's actually as immature as she's portrayed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She's 21.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, the ruling council sucks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

She'd play right into her enemies hands doing that though so it's a good thing events conspire to prevent it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Should've just handed the reigns of power to Godbert.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Moenbryda: We've finally completed our Anti -Ascian weapon, but we don't have the means to power it. What a conundrum!
Nabriales: Ah ha you fools! You've had an unlimited power source all along! Now allow me to monologue about my evil plans!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm trying to clear out some of the random quests I've picked up while playing that I don't really intend to do. I have a few quests now for extreme trials, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into those just yet. If I've progressed the quest and unlocked the trial in the duty finder, can I abandon the quest, do the trial, and still get credit? Or does it have to be an active quest at that step before I enter?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

404notfound posted:

I'm trying to clear out some of the random quests I've picked up while playing that I don't really intend to do. I have a few quests now for extreme trials, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into those just yet. If I've progressed the quest and unlocked the trial in the duty finder, can I abandon the quest, do the trial, and still get credit? Or does it have to be an active quest at that step before I enter?

I think it would need to be active, but it doesn't really slow you down to leave the quest open.

Also, if you're above level 80 and you're talking about ARR extreme trials, you can do those unsynced solo on basically any job if you just wanna clear the quest. In your duty finder settings, check the box for undersized party. You can then queue up solo or with a friend to clown on them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

404notfound posted:

I believe it has to be active. I imagine this is the ARR ones so if you just want to clear out the quests, you can throw up a PF (or hit up someone in your FC if you're in one) to do them "unsynched."

One player at at least 70 will sweep them out easy. Un-synching is done from the Duty Finder options at the top left of the window with the "Unrestricted Party" option. This lets you enter a duty with less players than normal, with your current stats and abilities, and gives you a power boost based on your level relative to the content.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You can also just hide the quests and forget about them forever

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Actually just had a party vote to abandon an extreme trial.

I was like, "Why??? Just leave if you don't think it's doable??? Why throw us all back out in the queue again???"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd be shocked if anyone would backfill an extreme trial in progress from the duty finder.

Again, you're basically just looking at Mentor roulette, and then only people that have the flag checked.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Had people drop and join several times on the other extremes I did. Maybe they were friends of people in the party joining though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Actually just had a party vote to abandon an extreme trial.

I was like, "Why??? Just leave if you don't think it's doable??? Why throw us all back out in the queue again???"

Don't do extreme trials via duty finder.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, do them in duty finder. Just know the risks with time and queue length. It's better than just getting a random 90 to clear them while you skip the fight.

It's certainly possible to backfill extremes, but the pool is a lot smaller unless like you said people were convinced to join in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Don't do extreme trials via duty finder.

I do want to experience the mechanics as intended at least once. So I don't just want some max level to carry me through.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're not on the trial you can also try setting up a party finder, and stating that it's a synced, first time run. At least that way people can see what's up and choose to go along for the ride.

Both are valid options. DF will probably die out before you can do Heavensward's extremes, but I've seen people do all of ARR and coils if that's your bag.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I would strongly recommend doing extremes in party finder if you have the option.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The only people punished by doing extremes in duty finder are Mentors who don't actually want to be mentors and are trying to speedrun the mount. And screw those guys.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I did grab the full game a few weeks ago when it was on sale, so maybe I'll try party finder. I've never used that before.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do want to experience the mechanics as intended at least once. So I don't just want some max level to carry me through.

I didn't say 'get carried through them' I said don't queue in duty finder for them. The queues take forever and nobody will know how to do them. Use party finder instead.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Party finder gives you a few other options if you really want to see things, like minimum ilvl, disable echo, etc. Probably more bite than you're looking for, but could be a fun time.

Bruceski posted:

The only people punished by doing extremes in duty finder are Mentors who don't actually want to be mentors and are trying to speedrun the mount. And screw those guys.

Also this.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Party finder gives you a few other options if you really want to see things, like minimum ilvl, disable echo, etc. Probably more bite than you're looking for, but could be a fun time.

MINE runs are wild as hell when everyone is on board. If you can find people to do it I highly recommend trying it sometime.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

404notfound posted:

you don't get credit if you don't have the quest active. if you want to clear out the log like people said unsync. if you don't care if you complete the quest, just drop it, the duties won't re-lock themselves. also in general the quests aren't pre-requisites for any other quests so it's unlikely to matter

thok ast thok is the last extreme unlock quest that requires you to return after finishing the trial; from the next ex on the extreme unlock quests complete as you talk to the npc that unlocks them

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can hold 30 quests in your journal so you can just hang on to extreme quests if you want. To keep them from cluttering your UI you can open your Journal, look for the little box to the right of the quest and click it twice. First time will keep the quest active in your UI no matter what, the second will prevent it from showing even if you have no other quests.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know but some people might not.

edit - Also later extreme quests will only unlock them and you can do them whenever without an active quest.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Same. There's so much content that I'm already breezing through from being over-leveled. I appreciate learning how to scale the occasional wall in Extremes.

This isn't a complaint about being over-leveled either btw. It's convenient not being bothered by mobs in the overworld. :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Relyssa posted:

MINE runs are wild as hell when everyone is on board. If you can find people to do it I highly recommend trying it sometime.

Yeah I have tried a couple of ARR and HW trials on MINE and oh boy let me tell you some those fights are no joke when you don't outgear them by 50 ilvls. Specifically Ramuh ex and Sephirot ex.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah I have tried a couple of ARR and HW trials on MINE and oh boy let me tell you some those fights are no joke when you don't outgear them by 50 ilvls. Specifically Ramuh ex and Sephirot ex.

Ramuh is probably the hardest of the lot, at least from what I remember when I was doing them. So much to keep track of and it's so easy to gently caress up.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Speaking of ex, is there a rhyme or reason behind some having the Minstrel's Ballad moniker while others are simply called <name> (Extreme)?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In-lore, the Minstrel's Ballad is your slightly psychotic parasocial superfan with bard inclinations making up additional details about fights you've told him about, and the EX fights are you "reliving" story fights through the several layers of bullshit he's concocted.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Relyssa posted:

Ramuh is probably the hardest of the lot, at least from what I remember when I was doing them. So much to keep track of and it's so easy to gently caress up.

Ramuh is the hardest, I'd say second place is Leviathan because nobody knows to kill adds or when to use the elemental converter

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Ramuh is the hardest, I'd say second place is Leviathan because nobody knows to kill adds or when to use the elemental converter

I would agree with that. Newbies are way too eager to click on the thing. Also it's very easy to not read the buff descriptions on the head/tail and die to reflect damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of ex, is there a rhyme or reason behind some having the Minstrel's Ballad moniker while others are simply called <name> (Extreme)?

for arr and hw the (extreme) fights are all canon: there's quests where you go and fight the primals again but bigger and badder. the minstrel's ballads are all fanfic

starting with stormblood all the high-end trials, with the exception of the great hunt, are the minstrel's (or someone else serving the same purpose) reimaginings regardless of how they're labled