Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Schwartzcough posted:

At best, the gear you get IN the first couple dungeons is equal to the HoN stuff, so you might as well get a full set before doing the dungeons rather than hoping to piece together a set while doing the dungeons (it also looks better than anything you'd otherwise have). And if you plan to level a bunch of jobs, it's absolutely worth having the 30% EXP ring. But yes, some of the actual lessons you can take with a grain of salt.

That 30% is pocket change compared to the armoury bonus on second jobs. On a preferred/new server you're getting +406% xp (rested with food) and the ring knocks that up to +466%. Hit level 30 in the blink of an eye.

At modern levelling rates you're not going to be wearing anything that drops from early ARR dungeons on your main job, unless you never visit a vendor and are saving all your gil for...? It's not worth spending 30 minutes for high quality level 15 gear when you've got two classes at 25+ by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah the Brand-new Set is mostly good because up to that point ARR armor is just ugly as sin and with current exp pacing you can coast on using them until you unlock glamours.

Not that it's bad or anything, but the value is very much primarily in not making my tiny dudes look like uncoordinated clowns longer than they have to.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you're brand new to the game you're not gonna say no to some good old-fashioned number go up from the Brand-New equipment, I think. Especially with how hard it is to find a decent accessory when just casually going through the MSQ.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll say it.

The gear that drops from the first three dungeons has better coloration than the brand new gear, and you're likely to get most if not all of it for your job on the MSQ from random drops plus the three guaranteed drops as the end of the dungeon. (tanks do not reply + you can glam on the dps set)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tbh the brand new gear is also just nice to have when eventually leveling other jobs. It's got solid stats that last until like 25ish at least. Granted that doesn't take particularly long to get to on secondary play-throughs, but it's still convenient and saves on space in your armory.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

On the crafting chat from last thread, you can do max level crafting leves a few times a day for gil without having to rely on other players buyin your stuff.

You can optionally buy these crafted stuff and turn them in for yourself for the difference in gil amounts if you have the necessary levels but don't want to spend the effort. Or if you have an abundance of time, you could sell to those people who want to turn them in without crafting themselves.

It's not a huge amount of gil by any means, but its one of those things that you can do brainlessly while consuming media if you like to see your gil amount go up slowly and you don't feel like doing roulettes for the in need bonus.

In Shb the craft of choice was coffee biscuits (whose turn in rewards were determined to be so good they had to be nerfed).

Last I checked this expansion's leve craft of choice is tsai tou vounou.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Did they fix the weird gaps in leveling in ARR? I distinctly remember a few times where the next MSQ was a higher level than I could do and I had to pause questing to go gently caress around with other xp stuff

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

VostokProgram posted:

Did they fix the weird gaps in leveling in ARR? I distinctly remember a few times where the next MSQ was a higher level than I could do and I had to pause questing to go gently caress around with other xp stuff

Having just wrapped up ARR, I think there's still one gap but that's all I recall.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VostokProgram posted:

Several times over. After the last rebalance the MSQ alone gives enough XP to keep one job on level for it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I had the exact opposite problem - I was like lv 60 before I even finished ARR, and it made learning the 50-60 rotation changes pretty hard cus I never had a chance to really use them until HW. Through HW and StB I would swap between several different jobs to keep the exp even - it wasn't until ShB that I actually had to just dedicate to one job or risk falling behind.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I should check to see if the alternate leveling strategy I mentioned in the BLU guide still works with the changes to regen.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

it's kind of funny to me that people talk about how much better the brand-new stuff looks over other ARR gear cause the caster and dow one are both just recolors of the first dungeon set anyways
at least the tanking set is borrowing from an i70 model so it would technically take longer to get that equivalent

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RME posted:

it's kind of funny to me that people talk about how much better the brand-new stuff looks over other ARR gear cause the caster and dow one are both just recolors of the first dungeon set anyways
at least the tanking set is borrowing from an i70 model so it would technically take longer to get that equivalent

If you're only running the dungeons once for the MSQ there's a decent chance you're not going to collect an entire dungeon set and you're still running around in an uncoordinated clownsuit, and you may well not have even unlocked glamours and dyes yet or have the money to spend on them once you do unlock them.

I mean, this is the "New Players" thread, not the "has a max level character and is leveling an alt" thread.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

RME posted:

I don't think I collected a single full dungeon set in my entire time leveling. The brand new set is super quick and easy to get a nice looking coordinated set.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

sassassin posted:

That 30% is pocket change compared to the armoury bonus on second jobs. On a preferred/new server you're getting +406% xp (rested with food) and the ring knocks that up to +466%. Hit level 30 in the blink of an eye.

Most people aren't on a preferred or new server, and the armory bonus isn't relevant when you're on your main job. 30% bonus XP is still pretty tangible when you're just starting out, especially if your sessions run long enough to burn through your rested XP bonus.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It helps that the first three dungeons all drop the same stuff, I did get most of the mage set just from MSQ. And if you go in with a party of NPCs, you don't need to share.

Maybe I just don't have anything in that level range, but auto-equip kept putting on the Brand New Ring while I was starting AST.

Intentionally trying to collect dungeon sets at an appropriate level is terrible, though I did get lucky and get either the entire Aurum mage set first time through or I was, like, missing the gloves and got those when I got it again on roulette an hour later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RME posted:

The tank one has a cool colour too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I used to have a tank glam plate focused on the Brand-New gear. I scrapped it because I needed plate space and I made dedicated plates for each tank job, but I may remake it at some point if I get sick of one of the others.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtrmp posted:

Most people aren't on a preferred or new server, and the armory bonus isn't relevant when you're on your main job. 30% bonus XP is still pretty tangible when you're just starting out, especially if your sessions run long enough to burn through your rested XP bonus.

A 30% bonus from 15 to 30 on your main class, which will be drowning in MSQ xp, is not worth going out of your way for. The ring is not a bad item because the stats are actually good for <lv50 jewellery, but the xp bonus probably saves you less time in levelling than it takes to do the lessons (healer is quickest because it's only 5 stages). Should new players do the Hall of Novices? Sure, why not. But it's far from the "asap do this now" thing it might have been a couple of years ago before multiple xp revamps turbo-boosted low level progress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Brand New Ring also makes switching jobs way less punishing/daunting, because you know you've got a big ol' XP bonus waiting for you. And considering that "you can play any/every job on the same character" is one of the big draws for new players compared to WoW...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also 1-30 is the most boring part of leveling an alt job, especially just getting to having roulette access in the first place, so even a marginal increase in leveling speed is huge QoL.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Hall of the Novice advice is fine when viewed in the context of someone completely new to playing MMOs, which is who its aimed at. If you're brand new to tanking and don't know what Rampart does, you should not be wall-to-walling Satasha.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Also 1-30 is the most boring part of leveling an alt job, especially just getting to having roulette access in the first place, so even a marginal increase in leveling speed is huge QoL.

This. Getting through 1-15 without MSQ making GBS threads EXP at you when leveling ARR alt classes is the worst. Hunting logs aren’t actually fun, at least to me. A 30% boost helps! There’s no reason to assume someone has a Road to 80 buff up because that assumes that they actually chose a new/preferred world when creating their character and that they’re still in the initial three months.

I can normally get at 173% buff to EXP 1-29 and a 143% buff 30-79, but that’s also with the preorder earring and a free company who always has Heat of Battle II up. A 133% buff is better than a 103% buff.

And that’s assuming armory bonus, of course. Which you don’t have for your first job.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I would say 30-40 is the most boring part, because you're probably running a lot of Braflox Longstop if you're spooling up an alt. Also 3 of your potential alt jobs start in that bracket.

I've been working on SMN after finally picking a magic DPS to focus on, and the EXP was pretty steady enough to level without too much grind up until that point. Admittedly, I was doing hunting logs since I knew full well that is a major source of EXP in the early levels for classic ARR classes. Friggen FATE was blocking my Mossy Gooblue spawn :argh:

To make this newbie relevant, leveling two classes in tandem is very viable, especially if you're doing your roulettes when you play as well. Honestly, you can probably level all three roles in tandem since Tank and Healer have such short queue times--level a DPS via MSQ, and feed your tank and healer jobs on Duty Roulette/whenever you need to do a Duty to advance the MSQ. :pcgaming:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This was brought up in the steam thread so I decided to take on the challenge and provide updates here. I will be on the free trial trying to advance the story as much as I can while interacting with no other player i.e. relying soley on duty support. I just finished the third dungeon, and so far so good. Though it was not clear that the NPCs would not go into elevators with you; you have to take the lift down or up, and after getting of the lift, they teleport to you. Also, seems like the second and third dungeon has some simplified mechanics to make up for the NPCs probably unable to handle the slightly more complex mechanics.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tam-tara had its map streamlined a bit but no mechanical changes iirc; it was and remains baby's second dungeon. copperbell actually did have the first two bosses completely reworked but more because they were awful and boring than because of any complexity that the npc ai couldn't handle (tho the second one was weird)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
True Ironman/solo is a challenge run I’ve been meaning to do with an alt at some point, (probably with a BLM) so godspeed on that. Dungeon drops will probably be your best source of new gear if you don’t decide to become an Omnicrafter.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like the idea of trying Summoner. It's been a long time since I've worked on a class from the beginning, not since attempting to push up Dragoon for the last Role Quest I needed. And if it's brainless, so much the better. I don't even mind throwing in Scholar and trying to learn that in the meantime to make things go faster... could be just what I need to feel a little more motivated.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Give it a shot! You can always set it aside if it's not clicking with you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sassassin posted:

I basically disagree with all this unless you're trying to burn through the game to level cap as fast as possible (I did this and don't recommend it). Sidequests are story and lore. There's loads of fun content in the game that will be missed if you're focused on MSQ progress. Leves are mildly useful as a new/free trial player for gear and materials - they're quick (timed "kill as many as you can" one excepted) and offer a bit of variety.

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

The most immersive experience, from a normal JRPG perspective, is clearing out every single quest when you enter a new area. It is most in-charater for your adventurer protagonist.
I've heard a couple people here playing it like that and more power to them.

The ring is really nice but otherwise agreed on Hall of Novice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oneiros posted:

tam-tara had its map streamlined a bit but no mechanical changes iirc; it was and remains baby's second dungeon. copperbell actually did have the first two bosses completely reworked but more because they were awful and boring than because of any complexity that the npc ai couldn't handle (tho the second one was weird)

Thousand Maws of Toto Rak was changed. Tam Tara Deepcroft is the same as it's ever been.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

The Hall of the Novice advice is fine when viewed in the context of someone completely new to playing MMOs, which is who its aimed at. If you're brand new to tanking and don't know what Rampart does, you should not be wall-to-walling Satasha.

The Hall of the Novice should tell you what Rampart does then, instead of teaching players to use their 1-2-3 to build enmity.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sassassin posted:

Thousand Maws of Toto Rak was changed. Tam Tara Deepcroft is the same as it's ever been.

thought maybe they had cut back some of the optional rooms but maybe not

also i got copperbell today and they've reworked all three bosses

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

The most immersive experience, from a normal JRPG perspective, is clearing out every single quest when you enter a new area. It is most in-charater for your adventurer protagonist.
I've heard a couple people here playing it like that and more power to them.

The ring is really nice but otherwise agreed on Hall of Novice.

This is what I’ve always done. I like the immersion of doing things while I’m there.

That said there were several times I’ve gone “gently caress that I’m done with this zone” and just went and finished off the MSQ.

…….the sidequest markers haunt me to this day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think if you're into one or the other or both of smn/sch that it's the absolute best first job to level up, because you can blow the living poo poo out of things on smn when you're on msq solo stuff, and if you need to join a duty or raid with others, you'll get picked up instantly on sch. i had a very easy time of it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jonny 290 posted:

i think if you're into one or the other or both of smn/sch that it's the absolute best first job to level up, because you can blow the living poo poo out of things on smn when you're on msq solo stuff, and if you need to join a duty or raid with others, you'll get picked up instantly on sch. i had a very easy time of it.

Yeah I'll second this, levelling summoner was a blast (literally when you have all your cooldowns up for every quest related combat)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

sassassin posted:

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

I have to qualify what you said on the Hall of Novices in terms of gear. Having started from scratch recently, the gear holds up for the first few initial dungeons, and the ring is still worth the exp boost under level 30.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Feel like this might be a nice video to watch for anyone who wants a more general background to the history and geography of the world of FFXIV. It contains a lot of information that, while always available in game, is often not stated to the player directly during the msq. Completely spoiler free background lore stuff if you've ever wondered where all the continents are or what happened in each era: https://youtu.be/GaQ__5ZBwBc

Edit: He says it's going to be a series but to my knowledge he only ever did one more video then stopped, which is a shame

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Unlocked Summoner, Scholar and a mount today.

I didn't try scholar at all yet, but summoner is essentially the arcanist but with upgraded pets? Not sure why but I was expecting more, but I do enjoy the arcanist so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, more or less. They do some pretty intense blowy uppy stuff later on.