Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Summoner goes deeper into the pets, Scholar takes Arcanist getting Physick and makes it the class's entire personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scholar gets different pets, but they only have two and mechanically they're identical. They get defensive and regenerative abilities.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Awesome, sounds like it would be an easy transition into scholar.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scholar is a ton of fun and cured my 20 year old allergy to playing MMO healers. I ended up liking SGE more, but scholar is competent and you can do some pretty awesome stuff with it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scholar is my preferred healer but I've had a lot of fun with Sage and White Mage as well. I can't really keep up with Astrologian.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was trying out Archer and getting it to 30 and what the gently caress is it with some Mobs who run away and reset to full hp if you kite them too far?! What's the point of an ARCHER class who CAN'T actually stay at distance?! :catstare:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its so people can run away if they're about to die? Try dragging them in a circle around where you found them instead.

Just know that while this tactic can work slightly when solo in the open world, its pretty much useless for any real content.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Mobs in FFXIV have pretty short aggro leashes and kiting isn't really that much of a thing either.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah this isn't an old MMO like EverQuest or Ultima Online, kiting mobs is not an effective strategy. Use your abilities and weaponskills and the mobs will fall well before you do.

The ranged part of ranged DPS is when you're in party content like a dungeon and there's a tank to hold mobs still for you.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 25, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I get being able to run away, but all I'm doing is hitting them, backing up a little, stopping, and hitting them again, repeat; in theory they should be at a fairly constant distance and me not getting too far from them, but the weird thing is some monsters you can stay further away from than others, and some have very short leashes(?) before they reset. For some it seems more to do with how far they get from their original spawn point?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah this isn't an old MMO like EverQuest or Ultima Online, kiting mobs is not an effective strategy. Use your abilities and weaponskills and the mobs will fall well before you do.

The ranged part of ranged DPS is when you're in party content like a dungeon and there's a tank to hold mobs still for you.

:corsair:

How well does a chocobo do for being a psuedo-tank like that but for the open world? I heard you can get a chocobo to join in fights at some point?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 25, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You’re just getting too far from their spawn. Mobs will only go so far before they say gently caress this and go back. When solo, just blast them point blank.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I get being able to run away, but all I'm doing is hitting them, backing up a little, stopping, and hitting them again, repeat; in theory they should be at a fairly constant distance and me not getting too far from them, but the weird thing is some monsters you can stay further away from than others, and some have very short leashes(?) before they reset. For some it seems more to do with how far they get from their original spawn point?

How well does a chocobo do for being a psuedo-tank like that but for the open world? I heard you can get a chocobo to join in fights at some point?

Generally yes, monsters can wander around a bit, but have a "home point" that they'll be pulled back to. They don't want you kiting them all over the map, nor "cheesing" enemies by being able to slowly pick away at their HP by repeated hit-and-run tactics. So they go invincible and get their HP back if you pull them too far. It rarely is an issue once you're aware of how it works.

For Chocobos, you can "spec" them with healer/tank/dps skill trees, but even specced for tank they will pretty much never be able to hold aggro over you. You'll have better luck giving them a lot of healer stuff if you want them to support you and help keep you alive.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, you can, and the chocobo makes a decent meat shield if set up for it (it has three trees you can put skill points into which are basically Tank, Healer, and DPS). The quest to unlock your chocobo as a field companion is available at level 30 after receiving your company chocobo as a mount, which you get at a certain point in the MSQ. The quest to unlock them as a combat companion is found at the NPC Docette in the South Shroud (coordinates X: 17.0 Y: 28.2).

And yes, the mobs reset is based on distance from their spawn point, which they will generally wander around in short vicinity of.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

it's that backing up doesn't really do anything for you, and eventually they move far enough from their spot and reset. if you're backing up to avoid aoe telegraphs try moving to the side until it's done, then move back to where you were. choco set to healer is more useful than tank

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Generally speaking, there’s not much point to fighting overworld mobs in the first place except for four conditions (and one of them is endgame): you’re doing a hunting log for early exp/Grand Company promotion, a quest wants you to, it’s a FATE, or you’re in a hunt train and tagging marks. The average mob is worth such measly exp for time and has such a short tether that you’re best off just running through.

Best yet, running through on a mount which insures you’re running faster than the monster. They can’t knock you off of mounts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

Generally speaking, there’s not much point to fighting overworld mobs in the first place except for four conditions (and one of them is endgame): you’re doing a hunting log for early exp/Grand Company promotion, a quest wants you to, it’s a FATE, or you’re in a hunt train and tagging marks. The average mob is worth such measly exp for time and has such a short tether that you’re best off just running through.

Best yet, running through on a mount which insures you’re running faster than the monster. They can’t knock you off of mounts.

Generally it's Hunting Logs where this is more of a thing for me, because sometimes when completing the log, especially in the 10-20 or 20-30 range it'll bring me to a part of a zone I'm not at the average level for, but I caaaan if I'm careful take on those mobs one at a time, at level 15 I can take on something that's level 20-22 but definitely not two of such things. So I try to kite to keep away from other mobs that might aggro onto me, and going into a circle is a little more likely to wind me into another mob or group of mobs.

Yeah most of the time I don't need to move, but I'm an Archer :(

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

What's your control scheme? If you have autofacing and legacy movement turned on you can constantly move and just hammer on the 1 key until something is dead, no need to back up and stop or whatever. Just be sure you're actually moving in a circle instead of backing away in one direction.

esc - > character config -> control setting -> general/targeting

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Algid posted:

What's your control scheme? If you have autofacing and legacy movement turned on you can constantly move and just hammer on the 1 key until something is dead, no need to back up and stop or whatever. Just be sure you're actually moving in a circle instead of backing away in one direction.

esc - > character config -> control setting -> general/targeting

I'll check that next time I log in, but that brings up a good question, when I hit tab to try to autotarget mobs, it often for me targets a non-hostile mob and one that's usually very far away to boot. Is there some more convenient way of auto-targeting mobs that are close and hostile? A big problem I face is often sometimes enemies die very quickly, especially in dungeons so its hard to maintain a consistent rotation because enemies keep dying which throws me off trying to target a new one. Maybe 50% of the time tab works fine but sometimes especially in the overworld it targets something of zero interest to me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll check that next time I log in, but that brings up a good question, when I hit tab to try to autotarget mobs, it often for me targets a non-hostile mob and one that's usually very far away to boot. Is there some more convenient way of auto-targeting mobs that are close and hostile? A big problem I face is often sometimes enemies die very quickly, especially in dungeons so its hard to maintain a consistent rotation because enemies keep dying which throws me off trying to target a new one. Maybe 50% of the time tab works fine but sometimes especially in the overworld it targets something of zero interest to me.

You probably need to adjust your target filters but you can also change tab to target the closest mob instead of to cycling through targets.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe 50% of the time tab works fine but sometimes especially in the overworld it targets something of zero interest to me.
In the Character Configuration -> Target setting of the options menu, you can set it to autotarget something when you try to use an attack without a target, prioritizing either closest to your body in distance, or closest to your direct line of sight. Which you prefer is up to you.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

As long as you don't attack too many at once

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks! I'll be sure to try that out.

Saya's adventures continue! Part V.

Previous Posts:
Part 1: Working through the City-State MSQ and Arcanist Job Quests
Part 2: Side-Quests and Starting off with the Pointy End of the Stick (Beginning Lancer)
Part 3: Saya gets dumped and so heads to the Waking Sands to continue the MSQ
Part 4: Finishing Lancer, starting BLM/Thaumautaruge.

As I was doing my daily dungeon run for the Level Roulette(?) I figured out a LIFE HACK for commendations! WoW Refugees Hate it! Role-play!

I decide that in my continuing compulsion to avoid doing the MSQ because I just kinda want to keep doing side-quests forever :unsmith: I join up with the Pugilists for Punchy-Punch times!

Welcome to Cornelia!

And he's an old martial artist as well channelling special spiritual energy!? Are there any vampires around too!?

He's almost as old as Captain America, seriously look at that grizzled handsome face!

Don't worry uncle, I get tired after talking too long as well IRL :shobon:

Outside the guild is their lalafel lookout, I'm increasingly convinced that there's a lalafel illuminati.

While picking up coins I stop to pick up more coins, dropped by this lady. I suspect ulterior motives.

I get some new digs and travel outside Ul'dah, doing the questline and also hunting log quests. I see this... Contraption? Apparently Ul'dans were told to pound sand so much they took it to heart and made an actual machine to pound sound for them.

(Does this actually work? Can you "harden" the ground by pounding it?)

While out and about I encounter an extremely Saturday Morning Cartoon questline involving a little market square on hard times undergoing the worst of crisis: Gentrification!

There's even a yakuza character.

I like how if you actually do all of the side-quests in this area, this next moment actually hits a pretty neat high note as the rest of the locals gather together pledging to help out and pitch in :3:

I forget the exact circumstances, I think there's some sort of drug trade we're investigating like good vigilantes? Do the various guilds actually have jurisdiction over criminal matters? I notice the Brass Blades definitely seem to turn a blind eye to us punching people. :hmmyes:

Ahah! I knew it! The lalafel were up to something! :argh:

Gramps gets his rear end kicked by what seems to be a *checks notes* a Squrroo?

I was actually expecting that maybe it turned out that Hamon was a fraud the entire time with his stories made up or something but no, it's just age. I take my leave while Hamon collects his thoughts.

What transpires is a pretty wholesome story, again very Saturday Morning Cartoon in feeling, very nostalgic as I help whip Hamon back into shape by beating him up:

I strike a Jojo pose.

The cookies are ready.

I can't either but what you gunna do? *Not* Beat up the Elderly?

Draco comes back, smarmy as ever.

New digs :cool: (Or rather, high enough level to swap)

I go on some side quests to help out of the pure goodness of my heart, a local Miqote who wants to become a better dancer :3:

And meet a lady the game describes as "luscious" and I concur. Ul'dah fashion is pretty... pretty.

This rando elezen makes me dance for his sick twisted amusement :argh:

OH! He's the guy you were looking for!

NO! *uses water spray bottle* no pouncing on the Elezen!

*THIS* is the dance you wanted to learn? High society/the rich never cease to disappoint.

She gives the dance a go.

She's like, "I'd like to see YOU do better." :rolleyes:

"Fine. I will."

I impress her so much I apparently steal her away :haw:

Kinda makes sense, I'm dodging arrows and sword swings, that must take some kind of grace. I wonder if this story line eventually comes up again and turns into the Dancer job later?

"Yo. Not cool bro."

We run into Draco again and just when it seems like another problem is about to arise whose only solution is violence, it turns out,

BUT WAIT! PLOTTWIST! He's just misunderstood! :unsmith: He's just down on his luck and is just trying to help!

Thanks Chuchuto! I'm the cure ;)

Are all Ala-migan's this swole? :prepop:

I go to South? Thanalan to help Hamon train, beating up sandworms, and uh, are they filming Fury Road nearby?

"Alright Saya, I know what you're thinking. You've been beating me up pretty good, but I assure you, while you've been fighting me at 20-No! 30% power, I've only been fighting at 1%!"

"Hiyah!"

"Ok"

"Another member of the elderly falls to my fists."

Alright, the combatants are set, we have run the data through all possibilities:

IT IS TIME FOR A DEATH BATTLE!!!

Get set. Get READY!

FIGHT!!!!

KO!

HE USES HIS HALF-ORC FEATURE TO GET BACK UP AT 1 HP!!!

And Draco has a change of heart and the gang is back together! :shobon:

SHE PUNCHES THE TEXTURES THE TEXTURE RIGHT OUT OF HIM!

I have no idea what Hamon, Draco and Prischuto are doing, but yeah I can handle this dude by myself this is fine.

And as the coast is clear the people of Ul'dah take to the streets and take all of the credit for cleaning the streets of the criminals!

A lesson has been learned today, punching solves all your problems. :)

Back to Ul'dah to seek the wisdom of the ancients:

The Lalafel illuminati Council!

Where we last left off their now possessed brother has been spotted soliciting the company of adventurers :byodood:

The Lalafel Council summons me to their mom's basementsecret base.

Where they make me kill the bugs scaring their momgo through trials and tribulations to prove my worthiness!

I love these dorks.

(*VILLAGE PEOPLE INTENSIFIES*)

Having proved my worthiness, I am sent to intercept their brother, before he undergoes the worst fate for an all powerful wizard! Losing his virginity! :ohdear:

But I fear I may already be too late, I think I've seen this while watching the documentary Avatar

If evil, why hot?

Me and the Council go to battle to banish away this evil once and for all!

We are victorious! But not unscarred :( As it seems like Cocobuki was struck down in turn!

But wait! Cocobusi's efforts at alchemy were not in vain! And he withdraws from his voluminous container a potent redbullelixer to bring back Cocobuki from the brink of death! And succeeds in revitalizing their fallen brother and excising him from the clutches of the god of death!!

Back at the officeTemple, I stand before the Lalafel High Council of Magoi. And recognized as one of their own, the highest (heh) of honours. :agesilaus:

With the questline completed I slightly update my digs.

I'll split off the next part, my journey back to Gridania and my efforts within the Archery guild for my next update.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 25, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
These posts continue to be delightful. :allears:

Edit for content:

I'm in 4.X now and taking my time with stuff, including finally messing with gpose instead of just turning off the UI and blindly screenshotting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 25, 2022

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I'm in 4.X now and taking my time with stuff, including finally messing with gpose instead of just turning off the UI and blindly screenshotting.

Scroll Lock + PrtScn is all you need :colbert:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
or you could go the other wasteful, computationally intensive way like me, always have streamlabs up with the rolling recorder running, and when you see a shot or frame you like, hit the 'save' button and go back and framecap it

don't do this. i am ill.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raenir Salazar posted:

(Does this actually work? Can you "harden" the ground by pounding it?)

Yes, actually. On loose soil (and when building foundations and like "loose" is a relative term) that sort of process can help everything settle and get stable. It's very common in construction, you really don't want things to move after you've built on it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You might not want the pounder to be a giant building, but maybe that's just an artifact of the technology level, usually it's some industrial equipment on wheels.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly I thought those were oil wells.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

Honestly I thought those were oil wells.

There are some oil wells around Thanalan, but the one in the picture was explained by NPC dialogue as them hardening the ground for new construction. (Maybe solving the crippling housing crisis?)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are some oil wells around Thanalan, but the one in the picture was explained by NPC dialogue as them hardening the ground for new construction. (Maybe solving the crippling housing crisis?)

They're building luxury housing for the super rich. If it wasn't for that meddling Kikipu the cartels would own that whole strip by now, and make a huge profit when construction is complete.

I hope all you WoLs helped her out instead of ignoring sidequests.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sorry new construction would simply fill the pockets of developers and would ruin the Neighborhood Character of *checks notes* the badlands of Thanalan.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Sorry new construction would simply fill the pockets of developers and would ruin the Neighborhood Character of *checks notes* the badlands of Thanalan.

when you think about it stopping the world from ending is the ultimate form of gentrification

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ceruleum fracking

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
As soon as I saw the sightseeing spot there was going to be no MSQ progress until I did the deed and well

I guess it didnt take that long and I got really lucky?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Technical Help for Newbies

This post is for advice for newbies regarding technical matters.

Some allusion to the targeting settings should be included. I don't think the default targeting is the most intuitive to new players who come from the modern video game era where autotarget is usually on point.

As an aside, I have some optional, preferential sound settings:
pre:
System Configuration >  Sound Settings > Toggle off "Play music when mounted"
I prefer the area music instead of the mount music.
pre:
System Configuration >  Other Settings > Language Settings > Cutscene Audio
It is counterintuitive that setting is under "Other Settings" instead of "Sound Settings" but you have a selection of "English", "Japanese", "German", and "French" cutscene audio. (The written text is still only a localization available to your client rather than a straight translation in case you are multilingual and/or this bothers you.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO that one is a lot easier than most people think as long as you take your time and don't let yourself get tilted. A huge aid for jump puzzles is targeting yourself, because as long as even a tiny bit of the targeting circle around you is on a ledge, you are on that ledge.

The visual indicator this provides makes it a lot easier and safer to line up your jumps in some areas of the tower.

If you're interested in more jump puzzle sightseeing logs, there's one in Rhalgr's Reach and one on top of the inn in Kugane.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just thought I'd re-iterate this in this version of the thread but if you are done with the MSQ and wondering what to do, I have one recommendation for you if you haven't tried them already:

Do Extremes!

At first Extremes can seem a little bit daunting to tackle at first: they are certainly harder than anything within the MSQ/Normal content, and they do require a bit of time to actually clear, since it's usually not possible to do a 1 or 2 pull clear like for most of the Normal trials. On the other hand, their difficulty isn't as high as you'd think: most of them are doable within a 2 or 3 hour session if you know the strategies for them. If you go to them blind, it will take a little bit longer, but they are still doable in two sessions or so.

How do I join a group to do an Extreme?

The main ways to join a party trying to do Extremes is as follows:
- Duty Finder: although it is certainly possible to use DF to find groups, and there are people that queue for them no matter the region, if you are in NA or EU, it is unlikely that you will be able to find a group in a reasonable amount of time, and the group compositions for DF tend to be rather mixed. You will also potentially pull Mentors from Mentor roulette as well: some Mentors stay and try to actually help, but there's a subset that just want easy content and will leave if they see an Extreme. DF can work in some circumstances but I would not recommend this as a method for getting into Extremes.
- Party Finder: For NA and EU, Party Finder is usually the main way to get into Extremes, and it also allows you to see what kind of experience the party is expecting from you when you join it. Although farm parties can end up a bit salty, PF for Practice parties is usually pretty chill: people know that they are going to wipe, and expect it to happen, so the ocassional salty person or someone that leaves after 2 wipes is usually pretty rare. If you don't have a better option, I would recommend PF for attempting Extremes, although you might need to make your own party since, depending on the Data Centre, PF will tend to just feature the latest available Extremes and little else.
- Your FC/Friends: This is the route that I took in order to get started! You might be surprised to find how many people in your FC are interested in doing Extremes/other hard content, but are a bit too put off by PF to try them. A lot of people think that Extremes are much harder than they are, so telling them that they aren't really all that hard is something that has worked for me in the past, and got people hooked into the harder content the game has to offer.
- Planning Discords: Too numerous to list, there are some discords out there specifically created to create statics for various content, although these usually tend to be either for Savage content or Ultimates. These will vary from DC to DC.

How do I prepare to do Extremes?

The main way is to watch some guides! There are many channels out there that provide guides for all sort of FFXIV content. These are the main ones I tend to use:
- MTQcapture - I generally use this to see what the actual mechanisms look like within the fight. Some of the solutions tend to be Day 1 solutions, however.
- Hector guides - I like Hector guides because they provide top-down diagrams of all the mechanisms and I find that extremely useful when I'm progging through content. The only issue is that they don't show what the actual mechanism looks like in real life: it's all just diagrams. I prefer that, but some people might not. Some of the strategies that hector uses are somewhat dubious as well.
- Joonbob - Joonbob has a mixture of slick diagrams and actual fight videos, and generally I find them to be the gold standard for actually nailing down the way that actual mechanisms are performed. The only issue with Joonbob is that it somewhat expects you to already know how the mechanism unfolds, and it is laser focused on explaining singular mechanisms and specific strategies.

One thing to keep in mind is that most fights will have several different strategies possible, and it is sometimes hard to know which strat a specific PF is using. Most PFs will put the strats they are using in the description, but if you are unfamiliar with the fight, it can be hard to know exactly what they mean. Some DCs have repositories of standard PF strats (for example, Aether), but usually if you are joining a "Practice from start" PF, they will just expect you to have watched a guide if they aren't doing it blind, and you work out strats from there.

Which Extremes should I do?

As mentioned before, most PFs will concetrate on doing the latest Extremes (currently, there are 4 extremes within Endwalker), with most other extremes being relegated to farm parties. However, there are people out there that are interested in older extremes, and sometimes even attempt them MINE (ie Minimum Ilevel, No Echo), although it will be harder to find people for older Extremes, unfortunately.

Okay, I'm in an Extreme party, what now?

If you are in a PF party, at the start there will usually be assignment of roles, and also splitting into Light Parties (basically, 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 dps). Light Parties are usually necessary because Extreme (and other content) like to place stack markers on both healers, and this is a natural easy way to split the party for them. You might also be assigned spread positions, which are usually just clock positions around the boss, but these can vary from fight to fight.

Other assingments are handled differently based on which region you are in. if you are in JP/EU, these tend to be handled by macros, which you can see an example of below (spoilered since it's latest content):

Some of the nomeclature will only be clear if you are familiar with the fight, so watching a video will help a lot with understanding what the macro means.

On the other hand, NA tends to put markers on the ground and assign positions by shuffling around them until you are in the correct position. I think both systems have merits, although I am more used to the Macro system myself.

After that, just pull and see what happens: wipes are expected, so don't get too disheartened if you wipe even 10+ times: it's all part of the experience. Even if you haven't managed to clear, progging through the fight and managing to reach new stages in it is what is usually expected by practice parties, so just keep trying until you get the clear!

But why should I do Extremes?

For the challenge, that's why I do them! And it's interesting content that can give a real endorphin rush once you actually clear it. You can also get some glams and mounts for them. Extremes are also an extremely good gateway into harder content: I started playing FFXIV in June 2021 and thanks to me joining a weekly Extremes group in my FC, I have now my very own Savage Static and I'm even on the cusp of completing an Ultimate as well! You might find that you really enjoy the harder content, in which case the next step is probably Savage fights, or you might find that harder content is not for you, but at least you will have given it a try. From my own experiences, Extreme fights have allowed me to find my own community within FFXIV and I'm really glad that I gave them a shot last year.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Flair posted:

Some allusion to the targeting settings should be included. I don't think the default targeting is the most intuitive to new players who come from the modern video game era where autotarget is usually on point.

On controller or keyboard?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Alxprit posted:

On controller or keyboard?

Summoner is fun so far, but I noticed there is a constant lack of tanks in the duty finder so I decided to start leveling up a marauder. It seems pretty good so far. From what I hear it's upgraded class is pretty great as well. Any tips and tricks for tanking in this game? (For reference I was the main tank in a WoW guild for many years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Tanking ain't too hard. For dungeons big trash packs are often more deadly than the bosses in terms of tank damage so save cooldowns for those.
Threat generation with tank stance on is massive so as long as you hit an enemy once of twice they should be locked to you, I only ever pull agro when playing with newer tanks who use single target for groups instead of aoe.
Early on you don't have many defensive cooldowns, but rampart and reprisal are both great and should be used regularly. Also arm's length aplies an attack speed slow to enemies that hit you so it's a defensive cd as well, but one that doesn't work on bosses most of the time.
Finally unlike wow there is no penalty for being hit in the back, so feel free to run through eneies to reposition them