Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HW zones also are all designed to show off the whole "fly anywhere!" thing so the aetherytes are place horribly and it makes the tribal quests even more tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Some of the Stormblood Zones also still suffer from it a bit, not as bad as HW but it's not until Shadowbringers that I think they got a decent grip on the aetheryte situation.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I need directions on how to go from Steam free trial to Steam complete edition. I'm worried it'll mess up somehow, and I definitely don't want to re-download the entire game through the launcher because that took forever.

I just bought complete edition, but haven't installed the new launcher that Steam wanted to add. Should I remove the trial launcher first or will that remove the whole game?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Attack on Princess posted:

I need directions on how to go from Steam free trial to Steam complete edition. I'm worried it'll mess up somehow, and I definitely don't want to re-download the entire game through the launcher because that took forever.

I just bought complete edition, but haven't installed the new launcher that Steam wanted to add. Should I remove the trial launcher first or will that remove the whole game?

It's been a bit but I believe I had to completely remove the trial launcher from my system before I could get the complete edition to run

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Trip report. I wouldn't call the process foolproof, because it assumes you're familiar with the archaic ritual of MMO account management, but it was straight forward other than that. Posting my steps in case someone else needs this later:

I removed the trial launcher from Steam, and let Steam install the full game launcher. The new launcher had a Steam pop up window with a CD key that it said I'd need to enter somewhere. It didn't specify where.

The new launcher was identical to the trial launcher and still assumed I was on trial. I went to the Square-E account management and entered the CD key from the launcher's account button. It recognized that this was happening from the Steam version, and defaulted all the options to such. I restarted the launcher, and it recognized I had the full game.

It started a 80GB download on login. I had checked my steamapps FF14 folder earlier, and it was ~50GB before while afterwards it was starting from 0. Either the new download wiped it clean, or changing launchers removed it. It's unfortunate that it doesn't tack on the new stuff, but at least it doesn't make two different copies. It remembered all my settings.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Polderjoch posted:

That's fair, it was just surprising because I'd been clearing out all the sidequests I could as soon as they popped up... and then just one main quest later I went back and like 10 quests popped up which all branched into more; I counted 26? level 55 quests that popped up just after that one msq and then even more showed up the very next one. Again I don't exactly mind because at the least I think these are way, way more interesting than ARR's generic quests but man it was a lot at once

Yeah, they have a bad habit of adding sidequests when the MSQ is taking you away from an area instead of when you arrive at it, so that sort of pop-in always feels jarring.

Do them if you want to (I enjoy the fleshing out the world), just don't think you have to.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You don't have to do every side quest, and if you pay attention you may notice that a few side quests have a little picture on the quest window but most don't. The ones with the picture are the "important" ones, they unlock aether currents and beast tribes and are usually little self-contained story arcs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Quests you should do:
MSQ (always shown in the top left of the screen)
Class quests (If you have one available it'll be in smaller text just below the MSQ in the top left)
Quests with a "+" icon in the bubble (these unlock something, be it level or area gated features, leves, dungeons, etc)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The moogle quests are so bad that they’re some of the only HW quests in general that have been trimmed.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Quests you should do: All of them :colbert:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

If you look up a quest's rewards ahead of time and they give market-board sell-able options you can look up the prices and pick what sells best. I ended up getting a million gil when I went through and cleaned up all ARR quests.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Attack on Princess posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Trip report. I wouldn't call the process foolproof, because it assumes you're familiar with the archaic ritual of MMO account management, but it was straight forward other than that. Posting my steps in case someone else needs this later:

I removed the trial launcher from Steam, and let Steam install the full game launcher. The new launcher had a Steam pop up window with a CD key that it said I'd need to enter somewhere. It didn't specify where.

The new launcher was identical to the trial launcher and still assumed I was on trial. I went to the Square-E account management and entered the CD key from the launcher's account button. It recognized that this was happening from the Steam version, and defaulted all the options to such. I restarted the launcher, and it recognized I had the full game.

It started a 80GB download on login. I had checked my steamapps FF14 folder earlier, and it was ~50GB before while afterwards it was starting from 0. Either the new download wiped it clean, or changing launchers removed it. It's unfortunate that it doesn't tack on the new stuff, but at least it doesn't make two different copies. It remembered all my settings.

Even if you aren't going to use any plugins, you should still use XIVLauncher instead of the official one because it downloads and installs everything much faster.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It also saves your password and can "auto launch" such all you need to do is use your One Time Password.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat, been playing the Xbox beta trial and they really just give you a stack of 40 teleports to the waking sands now lol. God drat that would have saved me a lot of gil and time spent running from horizon to the waking sands.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

drat, been playing the Xbox beta trial and they really just give you a stack of 40 teleports to the waking sands now lol. God drat that would have saved me a lot of gil and time spent running from horizon to the waking sands.

pray return

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You should get 99 total now before they stop sending you there

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FuturePastNow posted:

You should get 99 total now before they stop sending you there

:eyepop:

good lord, and I did it long before those even existed. what the gently caress, how did I manage

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

:eyepop:

good lord, and I did it long before those even existed. what the gently caress, how did I manage

For me, it was because Warlords of Draenor was so horribly poo poo of a disappointment that I picked up ARR, and I was committed to getting all the way through it just out of sheer spite.

Ended up being my favourite MMO. Go figure.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The emote menu really should specify that not displaying emotes to chat includes hiding your emote text from everyone. That's a huge courtesy feature hidden by poor verbiage. I assumed it was only client-side.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FFXIV is currently on sale for 60% off on steam, though not through Lodestone or the other Square Enix's other account providers. I have an account tied to my steam profile from back before the unlimted free trial was a thing, but the character I've actually played a ton on is a direct Square Enix account, not tied to my steam account. Is it possible to switch which FFXIV account is tied to the Steam login and take advantage of the 60% off sale?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nope. There are no character/account transfers, and Steam vs. regular PC client are completely walled off from eachother.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nitrousoxide posted:

FFXIV is currently on sale for 60% off on steam, though not through Lodestone or the other Square Enix's other account providers. I have an account tied to my steam profile from back before the unlimted free trial was a thing, but the character I've actually played a ton on is a direct Square Enix account, not tied to my steam account. Is it possible to switch which FFXIV account is tied to the Steam login and take advantage of the 60% off sale?

You don't want FFXIV on Steam, it comes with a bunch of extra connectivity issues in addition to being locked in to Steam's walled garden.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I've never had any extra connectivity issues on Steam, for what it's worth.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I wasn't able to log in for like half an hour once because of some hiccup on steams end but that's been my only experience in a year+

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I've been using Steam for 10 years now with XIV, and may have had 2 whole times where I couldn't log on due to Steam's scheduled regular maintenance.

It's not an issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nope. There are no character/account transfers, and Steam vs. regular PC client are completely walled off from eachother.

Actually, after doing some more research, I found that they do have a support page for it, looks like you can unlink and relink with this form

I guess I can try to refund the steam purchase, unlink/relink, and then buy it again on steam, assuming the sale hasn't ended.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I seem to always want to log in on Tuesdays during Steam maintenence and it keeps me out for 15ish minutes, which isn't the end of the world but is frustrating. If I could go back in time to get a non-Steam account I probably would.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Likewise on the Steam for 2 years and not an issue wagon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Either Steam or the Mogstation are fine, as long as you're okay with being locked into that ecosystem. You get occasional quibbles like Steam maintenance but the main conflict is when someone things they can hop between them to take advantage of sales, or they did the trial on one ecosystem and then tried to buy the game on the other. Which are completely reasonable things to think you'd be able to do if you don't know otherwise.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

I seem to always want to log in on Tuesdays during Steam maintenence and it keeps me out for 15ish minutes, which isn't the end of the world but is frustrating. If I could go back in time to get a non-Steam account I probably would.

Yep, this. If steam maintenance is going on, ffxiv just won't launch which sucks. Steam is pretty good at keeping them short though. Also if you're logged in before the maintenance, you stay connected and all, it's only on the startup of the game this is checked.

I would keep mine on steam tho, if only because it provides a more accurate counter of how much time I've spent on the game than the in-game command would otherwise.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

DelphiAegis posted:

I would keep mine on steam tho, if only because it provides a more accurate counter of how much time I've spent on the game

This convinced me that non-Steam is the way to go so you don't face a huge number of shame each time you go to the Library.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DelphiAegis posted:

Yep, this. If steam maintenance is going on, ffxiv just won't launch which sucks. Steam is pretty good at keeping them short though. Also if you're logged in before the maintenance, you stay connected and all, it's only on the startup of the game this is checked.

I would keep mine on steam tho, if only because it provides a more accurate counter of how much time I've spent on the game than the in-game command would otherwise.

Doesn't the steam counter go off launcher time and is thus less accurate for playtime because it includes patches downloads?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh hey, just noticed that there's a newbie thread. Started on the Xbox beta a few weeks ago, and I'm at level 56 on my dragoon and about to start the 2.3 quests. Hoping to hit 60 soon so I can give tanking with GNB a try.

I'm really starting to feel the 300k gil cap now for the free trial, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the free (for Game Pass subscribers) starter edition on Thursday just to uncap it, even though I probably have a ways to go before 70. I went around trying to buy all the orchestrion rolls and other expensive items that I could find, but what else can I invest my gil in so I'm not throwing it all away?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you're on a free trial you can't play Gunbreaker, that and Dancer were added in Shadowbringers

But honestly don't worry about the gil cap. You just don't have anything to buy before you have Market board or housing access.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Joke answer: you can buy the gil items for ARR relic weapons

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

Joke answer: you can buy the gil items for ARR relic weapons

haha! unless...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Actually you can buy drip, assuming free trial upgrades you to MB use or if you go ahead and sub. Also every time you hit a level cap you can either grind tomestones from daily roulettes and get a kit of good leveling gear from a vendor in each capital city or buy gear as you go so gil is handy if you don't want to pause and the MH barons aren't gouging the markets too hard, though gear tends to be dirt cheap before 70.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

404notfound posted:

what else can I invest my gil in so I'm not throwing it all away?

If you have any plans on trying crafting later then there are some things you can stockpile beforehand. The Material Suppliers you can find in the housing wards sell a lot of mid-level intermediate materials like Iron Plates. These are good to have and you really don't want to craft them yourself. You can also stock up on Dark Matter for repairing your own gear.

Another option is to start ranking up some of the ARR beast tribes. Each tribe sells minions for 30k and mounts for 120k at higher ranks. The tribe vendors also sell even more of those intermediate crafting goods that you'd rather buy than make.

Problems here include
1: You don't have that much storage space for a bunch of crafting materials (or other stockpileables like dyes) when on the trial.
2: You almost certainly don't want to level crafting without market board access so if you plan on staying on the trial you'll end up sitting on that stuff for a while.
3: Doing beast tribe dailies might not be the most exciting thing to do with your gaming time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

wouldn't recommend taking the starter edition offer just to lift the gil cap. if you want to join a free company, chat in-game, or just use any of the other social features (man, not having party finder must be a pain now that I think about it), maaaaaybe go for it?

going off of this:

my suggestion would be to take the starter edition offer and then immediately buy endwalker. that'll also give you access to gunbreaker when you hit 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Eh. It's swings and roundabouts. I'm fairly sure Dawntrail will drop for preorder at the weekend so if you think you'll buy that you might wanna consider waiting (though I assume the Endwalker sale will end).