Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

iPodschun posted:

Another habit to pick up is reading attack names, and having the separate castbar can help with that. If a boss has an attack called Leftward Thrust then you should get away from the boss' left side.

This is really important in things like raids, the names of casts often give a clue or outright tell you what it'll do.

You can also pick up on and learn how the game uses elemental things; it's generally pretty consistent. Attack has a lightning name? Don't stand in water puddles if there are any. Attack has a fire name? Do stand in the water puddle. Ice name? Keep moving or you may get frozen solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kongming posted:

I definitely have memories of people complaining sometimes when the "A player is new to this duty" message appeared with the tomestone bonus. People called it the "noob bonus" or something. This was also a long time ago, maybe even pre-Heavensward, so I don't know if anyone like that still plays this game.

Last night in a run of The Tower at Paradigm's Breach, there were a couple of vocal sorts bitching about how long it was taking because some new folks were struggling with the mechanics, and they rushed ahead to start the final boss without waiting for the cutscene watchers. But fortunately people like that are pretty rare.

Anyway, on tank topics, watching the cast bar can also be useful since it'll show you which enemy casts can be stopped by stun or interrupt abilities (flashing cast bar = can be interrupted). While it doesn't often make a major difference, knowing when and how to use stuns can be very handy on some bosses, e.g. Hermes in Ktisis Hyperboreia.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I swear Paradigm's Breach specifically seems to mald people, I once saw a party wipe because everyone was too busy angrily typing about who pulled? we have 3 in CS! cutscene takes too long they can watch it in the inn, you have lost more time hollering than you gained from the early pull etc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, I always wait for people in cutscenes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pulling while people are in cutscenes should be a bannable offense.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kongming posted:

I definitely have memories of people complaining sometimes when the "A player is new to this duty" message appeared with the tomestone bonus. People called it the "noob bonus" or something. This was also a long time ago, maybe even pre-Heavensward, so I don't know if anyone like that still plays this game.
Nowadays you only see people getting genuinely mad when that pops up when you're doing hard content reclears. Since that means that someone in your party has lied about having cleared it before.

Most of the time, the reaction feels more like this. (Heavensward spoiler warning)

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 29, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Selachian posted:

Last night in a run of The Tower at Paradigm's Breach, there were a couple of vocal sorts bitching about how long it was taking because some new folks were struggling with the mechanics, and they rushed ahead to start the final boss without waiting for the cutscene watchers. But fortunately people like that are pretty rare.
It's rude and counterproductive to complain about first-timers struggling with mechs regardless, but seriously, doing it in the Nier raids? The raids with some of the most opaque attack telegraphs in the game if you're going in blind? I'd be wildly praising newbies for being alive for more than 10% of a lot of those bosses on their first runs.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

YggiDee posted:

I swear Paradigm's Breach specifically seems to mald people, I once saw a party wipe because everyone was too busy angrily typing about who pulled? we have 3 in CS! cutscene takes too long they can watch it in the inn, you have lost more time hollering than you gained from the early pull etc

Between drama and the stat squish making everything take too long, noping out of Paradigm's Breach roulettes is usually a time save.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 28, 2024

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Hellioning posted:

One time our party's tank early pulled during a Nier cutscene and all the healers in the raid decided not to res or heal them :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hellioning posted:

It's an actionable offense if you bother to report it, don't know what the punishments are, probably a warning then kitty jail.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

susan b buffering posted:

One time our party's tank early pulled during a Nier cutscene and all the healers in the raid decided not to res or heal them :allears:

They basically got a free ride, then. Should've ressed but never healed so they'd accrue repair fees from dying so much (or at least until they catch on and stop accepting the res).

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Kwyndig posted:

It's an actionable offense if you bother to report it, don't know what the punishments are, probably a warning then kitty jail.

Had one dude in LotA yesterday who was complaining about waiting for people watching cutscenes and the entire raid dumped on them :sickos:

If you're a sprout reading this thread and feeling self-conscious about watching cutscenes and taking time, don't be. I remember speeding through the pre-boss CS for Thousand Maws of Toto Rak back when I first started cause I thought people would be upset for me taking so long, but essentially everyone is cool about it. We've all been there before.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kongming posted:

I haven't seen anybody complain about newbie bonuses in forever, these days you get so many benefits for having a newbie in the party that you'd have to be insanely WoW-pilled to even think it's going to be an issue outside of... Yeah Paradigm Tower but that specific raid brings the worst out of everyone. When you were hoping for a 20-min free rou and you get a 40-60 slugfest, oof.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kwyndig posted:

I don't love people pulling while raid members are in cutscenes but, no, it's absolutely not an actionable offense or something you should report. It is something the developers deliberately allow even though they easily could lock out the arena, and you're absolutely allowed to pull things when the game lets you. Early pulls will happen both by intent and by accident but they're not griefing as far as customer service are concerned unless someone is actively trying to wipe the raid, which they very rarely are. Try not to worry too much about them when they happen.

If anyone here is ever in a cutscene and gets the "arena will close in 15 seconds" message: you will not be locked out of the fight if you wait longer. Just finish watching your cutscene, then accept the teleport into the arena when you feel ready. Worst case scenario you miss 30 seconds of early boss mechanics and maybe a cool boss intro, which is unfortunate but not worth losing sleep over.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 29, 2024

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Might wanna put a spoiler warning for HW in there. Doesn't reveal much but new player thread and all.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 29, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Might wanna put a spoiler warning for HW in there. Doesn't reveal much but new player thread and all.
Thank you for the warning.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

reversefungi posted:

Had one dude in LotA yesterday who was complaining about waiting for people watching cutscenes and the entire raid dumped on them :sickos:

Those moments are great. There's one trial that has a surprise second phase that isn't hard if you do the mechanics (a bit of a strain on the tanks and healers) but everyone's gotten used to just using a limit break and skipping it. Of course nobody tells the newbies that so I used the LB before then and one guy yelled at me for it. Both tanks spent the whole second phase making fun of him while still doing their mechanics perfectly.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Hellioning posted:

absolutely deranged take, it is completely irrelevant if you miss the first 20 seconds of a boss fight

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Counterpoint, common courtesy is cool.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, it shouldn't be bannable but it's pretty rude to do deliberately.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the venn diagram of people who don't wait for cutscene-ers and people who don't return their shopping carts is a circle

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

yeah, and it is enforced socially because at worst it is an annoyance

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If common courtesy isn't enough then do something healthy for yourself. Focus your eyes on something 20ft away, take a sip of water, and/or a quick wrist stretch exercise for those 20 seconds.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, it shouldn't be bannable but it's pretty rude to do deliberately.

This is how I feel. I have occasionally accidentally pulled as a tank when I didn't realise someone was watching a cutscene - generally I try to slow my roll and not kill the boss fast when this happens, and I don't like doing it. It's rude to do deliberately.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Trash Ops posted:

absolutely deranged take, it is completely irrelevant if you miss the first 20 seconds of a boss fight

Ruins the vibe

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nowadays you only see people getting genuinely mad when that pops up when you're doing hard content reclears. Since that means that someone in your party has lied about having cleared it before.

more realistically, it means the party leader either forgot to turn on the "duty complete" tag, or it's a secret clear-for-one where the party leader just so happens to be the one

though, in my experience playing during off-hours or late into a raid tier every so often you get someone asking to join a reclear party claiming they're at enrage but can't find a party that can make it across the finish line. generally people are fine with that and i've yet to encounter who blatantly lied about being clear-ready when asking to join a reclear party

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I love when I'm main tanking the whole raid and then another tank insta-pulls the last boss while the sprouts are still in cutscenes, I inevitably re-take enmity just doing my rotation because the other tank clearly didn't actually want to tank the boss, then the whole raid assumes I pulled and yells at me. happens all the loving time lol

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I've arrived in Heavensward, and can't get over how they made the most vertical zones possible AND removed the ability to fly.

I'm guessing this happened cause flying wasn't in classic ARR, but still... Really adds insult to injury.

Is there anything I can do to regain flight fast, or is it locked to the main quest?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Attack on Princess posted:

I've arrived in Heavensward, and can't get over how they made the most vertical zones possible AND removed the ability to fly.

I'm guessing this happened cause flying wasn't in classic ARR, but still... Really adds insult to injury.

Is there anything I can do to regain flight fast, or is it locked to the main quest?

Originally, flying wasn't in ARR at all. It was introduced in HW and you get it via attunement to aethercurrents. There are a number scattered around the map that you have to physically touch and there are 5 or so locked behind quests including the MSQ. Typically the last MSQ in the zone will give you the final aethercurrent for flying.

This pattern continues in every expansion.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

It's a combination of MSQ, spamming your compass to find the current in the field, and doing the blue quests in the zone. You won't get the last current until the MSQ is done with a zone though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Flying in a zone is generally locked by its main quest, a few blue side quests, and some exploration for aether currents. There's no real way to speed it up. Do the blue quests and your aether compass as you go along, don't worry too much until you're done with the main quest line for the zone.

Heavensward was when they first added flying and you can tell by how they went a little too far on the zone design; lots of empty space, cliffs and islands. Later expansions are much better about it. ARR flying was added much later, which is why it's the only place it unlocks automatically.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flying was a big new feature in HW and they made the maps to show it off, except it gets tedious quickly because the zones are awful if you can't fly (yet) and there's usually one or two aetherytes tucked in corners, and quest objectives in the opposite corners of the map.

But yeah you will unlock flying in all expansions the same way from now, by getting "aether currents", the game will teach you the basics in the HW MSQ. In your Duty > Collections menu there will be an aether compass, and there is a number of currents on the map which you have to go to and click (the compass gives you directions), and some others will unlock through quests (MSQ, some sidequests - the latter have the blue Q+ markers for "unlocks something"). Your progress will be in the Travel > Aether Currents menu.

Many zones won't let you fly until the MSQ is mostly done with them, every expansion has some split zones that make you do all your quest business on foot until you return 5+ levels later in the MSQ and unlock an additional approach that will allow you to get the final aether currents.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Alright, good to hear the over-commitment to vertical design is a HW thing at least.

I kinda like the Anarchy Online Shadowlands vibes from Sea of Clouds though. So I'm not hating too much on it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
other expansions do verticality but generally much better and less annoying. stormblood still has a bit of lovely-aether-crystal-location-itis but nothing is as bad as every heavensward zone is

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zone design has only gone downhill across expansions :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quiggy posted:

excactly. bring back 1.0 black shroud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2AIhEoH9Y

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

quiggy posted:

Thermonuclear take

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quiggy posted:

april fool's day is tomorrow.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The only zone I don't like is (Endwalker zone) Ultima Thule, because I have to turn off the background music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

biceps crimes posted:

The only zone I don't like is (Endwalker zone) Ultima Thule, because I have to turn off the background music

/bgm 0 club :respek: