Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

S.J. posted:

Remember, sprouts: sprint BEFORE you get aggro.

This is probably the second best piece of advice to starting tanks, besides pull until the WHM/other healer/DPS without a sprout says stop.

Edit: Once you hit Heavensward the game itself will tell you with level design when you can stop pulling because you'll hit a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scholar gets different pets, but they only have two and mechanically they're identical. They get defensive and regenerative abilities.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scholar is my preferred healer but I've had a lot of fun with Sage and White Mage as well. I can't really keep up with Astrologian.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah this isn't an old MMO like EverQuest or Ultima Online, kiting mobs is not an effective strategy. Use your abilities and weaponskills and the mobs will fall well before you do.

The ranged part of ranged DPS is when you're in party content like a dungeon and there's a tank to hold mobs still for you.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 25, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bruceski posted:

We're too used to Fantasy Europe.

And upside-down Fantasy Europe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Funky Valentine posted:

Does this mean that the New World where Blue Magic comes from is just Malaysia and Indonesia.

It might be Australia

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'd say 3-5 expansions as well, we've got enough uncovered land to do those expansions and they could always take us to a new world like maybe the Shadow world which they've hinted at.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're pretty good at keeping you up to speed when you start a new expansion. If you want to ng+ to get yourself reacclimated in case you forget who Alisae is or what's up with Y'shtola's eyes there's nothing wrong with that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Schwartzcough posted:

And this is probably obvious, but if you're hoping for commends from a first-time player, you have to wait around while they watch the end-of-dungeon cutscenes.

There's been many a time where I finish my cutscene all ready to commend somebody only to find there's no one left to commend.

Yeah this, when I'm farming for commends (tank/healer role, talkative with sprouts) I wait until I'm the last person in the instance before I leave the dungeon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you do side content you get to meet so many interesting characters. And they show up in the oddest places sometimes, with little nods to show you've met them before.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

girl dick energy posted:

This, I did not know.

Oh yeah, it's not as good as it used to be (they've changed spiritbinding several times since 2.X) but slapping materia into your gear, maybe downing a spiritbond potion (available at your GC) and the materia will come as long as you're doing at level content for your gear.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah before you get your oGCD heals dungeons can be quite stressful. Just take a deep breath, be mindful of the tank's pulls (if he's got more than three packs on him you'll probably need to chain heals), and don't panic.

Good job on not panicking and going straight for the raise. You weren't going to pull it off but at least you tried.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Samurai is an okay class that people don't like in raids, but those people are fools. Samurai puts out the big DPS numbers, that's all you need, it also has the most Japanese flair in its abilities. Red Mage is flexible, nimble, has tons of neat spells and a melee combo, plus at higher levels you've got clutch instant cast Resurrection.

All that said, play whatever class you find fun, any composition can clear any content as long as you play well and use your cooldowns when necessary.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tekopo posted:

The worst I've ever seen someone say in a PF for Savages has been "I don't think this party will clear today" and immediately leave.

That's a dick move because then you have to abandon the instance and get another party member. You can't do Savages with only 7 people unless they've buffed it with like 25% Echo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To this day I have no idea how I cleared one of the Four Lords fights. I did it twice, didn't clear the first time, did it again and I died halfway through and nobody raised me so I didn't quite get to see the rest of the fight.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I think it's the "swipe through your tomestone" emote?

Yes that's the one for registering the app.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's if two people tried to access the Glamour Dresser at the same time it cause an error that crashes the entire server. They fortunately figured this out on their test server before introducing the Dresser to live.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

girl dick energy posted:

So, TL;DR: Glamour dressers are ten year old spaghetti code that they're afraid to touch because it's made of glass and full of things people spent hundreds of hours collecting and/or bought with real money, and "why can't we have X" always basically comes down to "because we need to figure out how to make the whole system not collapse whenever we try to add X"?

You speak truth, also the only places glamour plates can only be changed was a lot of work to get them to work in any sanctuary and not just the main towns. I would hate to be the guy who has to figure out how to make new things in their engine instead of just iterating boss mobs or something.

It blew my mind when I found out that in order to change zones a Player Character's data in pretty much everything (achievements, fishing log, orchestrion rolls, chocobo racing stats, to name a few) has to be transmitted to the new zone and is the main reason player inventories are so small because there's a data limit on how much stuff they can transmit from zone to zone and if the PC's data exceeds that, it crashes out and logs you out of the game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes ARR relic light rotates every two hours.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah one thing to remember about their former Job quest workflow is that they're assigned to different people each expansion, usually. They're totally covering for the PLD HW quest guy so fans won't burn him in effigy outside the SE offices though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I liked the Stormblood PLD quest line although I didn't like the whole will they won't they plot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Roach Warehouse posted:

Im trying to get a heap of jobs into the 50-70 range prior to starting endwalker (varying based on how much I like them). Now that Im in a level range where I can easily solo Bahamut, is there any reason to burn poetics on ironworks weapons rather than a 5 min Baha-blast?

Weapons are good for leveling, reduces your TTK by a few seconds per enemy when you're soloing or dungeon delving with a party. Basically it really depends on how you're leveling your 50s. If you're doing a lot of Duties then Ironworks weapons are a nice upgrade from whatever trash you had before that. If you're doing weird poo poo like PoD or guildhests then no you won't need them.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 1, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Regy Rusty posted:

My WoL simply just plays every job

Heya every job person, I need to get back to playing so I can do the MSQ and see the new story, and also level everything for the new crown.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I only get mad about people who roleplay in ways that are against canon. A little cross classing never hurt anybody though.

But if you don't want to play a class and you rp a reason why that's fine. There's tons of other jobs out there, have fun.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

orcane posted:

Tooltips contain a lot of information people are often not aware of, including the vendor price. I wrote a bunch of :words: on tooltips for a friend before, would that be of any interest here?

Post it yeah, it's stuff new players won't know because the tooltips are kinda arcane.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I actually like bard and the changes to it with endwalker just made me appreciate my song buffs more. Especially since I'm not the best at keeping my dots up on bosses.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shinjobi posted:

Bruh I'm lvl 16 in Eureka and FFXIV is just truly beginning for this sprout

Look forward to your adventures! There's lots of fun to be had in Eorzea Eureka.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just glad it's an option if you have around half an hour to kill and need to run a dungeon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's why you go as a healer so you can AOE the bombs out of range.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

First off you don't break the eggs. Then you blast the hatchlings one at a time slowly so the big Zu doesn't get a big buff. At least I think that's how you do it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I didn't like the looks of the two relics I usually work for and I was turned off by the hideous grind to get there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Qwertycoatl posted:

The thing about retainer levels being limited to your level is important - if you haven't levelled botanist/miner then you shouldn't use it on your retainer either.

Yes, I've got three retainers stuck below max level because I haven't gotten around to leveling my gatherer classes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Relyssa posted:

Gathering is fun in a very zen put on a podcast and just hit trees for a while sort of way.

Yeah you just got to zone out and let your instincts guide you. Unless you're doing collectibles, then you need cold hearted focus. Gathering is a thing of contrasts.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, there are fewer Fedex quests and go talk to this guy now go talk to that guy quests, but the underlying game logic of "go to location, interact with thing" never really changes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are rewards for leveling everything though, mostly crowns, but there is one mount for leveling every combat class to Shadowbringers maximum (80).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just use leves, you get a hundred and you probably won't use all of them leveling one job. You can use the diadem, but you can't enter it right away so you'll have to grind away or use turn ins or leves.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't have a steam deck but the word on like Reddit and such is that it runs fine and controls well after you configure it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if you cancel you can still play out the rest of your paid time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And the rest of it you need you can source using Botany or sometimes buying a resource off a merchant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, with the launch of Heavensward they switched to a British studio for all their VA work instead of using the California firm they had been working with. Probably because the close proximity to the EU let them handle all the non-Japanese language tracks with the same management staff. They've got people from various parts of England representing the different nations of Eorzea and in Shb they even brought in some Icelandic voice actors to do an exotic community.