Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tam-tara had its map streamlined a bit but no mechanical changes iirc; it was and remains baby's second dungeon. copperbell actually did have the first two bosses completely reworked but more because they were awful and boring than because of any complexity that the npc ai couldn't handle (tho the second one was weird)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sassassin posted:

Thousand Maws of Toto Rak was changed. Tam Tara Deepcroft is the same as it's ever been.

thought maybe they had cut back some of the optional rooms but maybe not

also i got copperbell today and they've reworked all three bosses

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

iirc the goldsmith mammet also tells you you're garbage

but it does that to everyone so :shrug:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now that we're not saving the world she can revert to her true form

a nerd

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

S.J. posted:

It even happens to high level experienced healers who forget that they don't have a bunch of stuff available and don't get GCD heals out in time on the first big pull cure 1 on their hotbars. Kind of funny honestly.

fixed

but yeah, early healing where you are missing the majority of your kit (and with the tank in a similar position and likely little to none dps aoe) and the only walls are in your mind is a very, very different beast from healing exdr

that being said, the fundamentals are the same; don't cast heals when you don't need to and do dps when you can. you just have less "oh poo poo!" buttons available to slam if you misjudge things so it's probably better to play conservatively until you get a feel for things

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 11, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

S.J. posted:

one day they'll change it to a loving upgraded button, right? :(

freecure is gonna be a trap all the way to lv 100 lv99

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, no, no one is obligated to spend the hour and a half lockout in a late prog or clear party watching the illiterate and/or rear end in a top hat who joined fresh repeatedly wipe the raid on the first mechanic over and over and over again

just walk out
you can leave!!!
if it sucks...hit da bricks!!!

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 12, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’ve heard the paladin story is pretty bad (the worst?) is it bad-bad; or just bad in comparison to the preceding gladiator story, ‘cause i played that today and the characters were pretty good!

it's bad-bad

they actually make fun of it in the good tank's quests

and also completely abandon it for more gladiator stuff

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think when people usually talk about "bad" job quests it's things like the early archer stuff or cleansing the taint or parts of samurai's story which really just boil down to rubbing some people the wrong way with how they're presented or how the issues shown are (not) resolved

i have never seen anyone defend the pld quests. they're bad.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quiggy posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes it so bad? I wasn't a big fan of the HW WHM plotline but I definitely wouldn't dunk on it as hard as y'all do the PLD one.

the whm quests were kinda repetitive but at least had a plot and characters doing things for understandable reasons

the pld quests are you running around on a wild goose chase and then charging up the jo crystal because???

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i can't imagine them actually throwing the writer under the bus but i'd be incredibly curious as to what else they worked on because i don't think anything else in the game can be considered as to have bombed as heavily as hw pld

but also that poo poo went thru multiple layers of reviews and editing how?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

just queue for dungeons in the duty finder you antisocial nerds

(but yeah, for duties with mechanics that require more than one person to not wipe you either just gotta be high enough level to burn them down before bad things happen or recruit a friend to help)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

ruining a mentor's day is its own reward so people should duty-finder extreme trials more often, actually

i'm begging you to save me from another run of the praetorium

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sell them for pocket change, stuff them in a retainer if you might pick up crafting later and don't have any other use for the inventory space, or just dump them

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

rabanasty featuring hashmal, bringer of pain

shame bkk roulette never dumps me in those; only replacing insta-quits in lota

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

brb macro-ing my wildfire burst

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dareon posted:

I only just started even using macros at all. I have one that's just showing off, draw > bstance > vpose > sheathe, and I recently used Teamcraft to set up a crafting macro when I was making several dozen Skybuilders' crafts. Which feels a little like cheating, but it's entirely within the tools of the game and besides is exactly the way crafting should work, in my opinion. I've proven I can make the minigame do what I want, I shouldn't need to have to do all the work every time.

crafting is the one big legitimate/non-problematic use of macros outside of utility functions like changing jobs and ui layouts and whatnot

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

those are the situations where you find out which, if any, of the dps know how to use their mits and heals

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

heck, depending on the boss and how good the dps are you can do it with drk too. tbn basically negates a raidwide or targeted aoe which is really nice on the squishier dps (hope that blm is actually doing damage)

nu living dead basically gives you an invuln + heal to full too, if you get the timing right

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 16, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

but yeah, carrying the dps thru a dungeon boss after the healer goes down in the first 15 seconds are some of my favorite tanking experiences in the game

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

on the more passive income end of things daily roulettes/in-need bonuses can really add up over time. i also keep my retainers on quick ventures which occasionally bring back rare dyes and glams that go for hundreds of thousands of gil a pop. junk gear gets turned into gc seals which are in turn converted into more ventures, repair mats, and lootboxes which can (very rarely) also drop a small fortune in your lap in the form of rare minions and mounts

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've also made like 20m gil this savage tier selling off coffer rights

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

S.J. posted:

This whole conversation has me scratching my head because I've tanked nonstop since SHB launched and I have never had a single interaction where someone was rude to me about going faster. It's only ever been " You can big pull, don't worry, I've got you" - if they say anything at all

it's because with some tanks their response to "you can big pull, don't worry" isn't

"oh, i'm new on this job and don't really feel comfortable with big pulls yet"

or

"i'm undergeared because i'm just trying to make it to the next set of tome gear"

but rather

"i'm only single-targeting mobs at level 80 because that's my preferred play style you don't pay my sub"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

S.J. posted:

Do you see this a lot? I think I've maybe encountered this once, although the person didn't ever say anything in chat.

not a lot but you run enough duties you see all sorts of poo poo

usually with single pullers it's just skip buyers or someone who finally rolled a high level dungeon in the daily roulette after thirty levels of sastasha

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

"interrupts aren't real" i repeat to myself as i get triple overlapped by rams' voices in world of darkness

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

honestly you can do a little dance and get off two gcds to get solid agro on a pack before dashing off to the next just fine. you aren't gonna die from a few autos from a single pack and as long as you have sprint up you aren't gonna take excessive damage on the run. that being said, no one is gonna die if they take agro on a couple mobs during the run between packs. one aoe gcd is fine, throw out some ranged attacks and/or provoke during the run if you wanna grab it back

also, if you're running with a melee you know, have them pull slightly ahead on the first pack of a pull (note: ahead, not extra) with arm's length up and all the mobs will collapse into a tight pack for you to catch them in your aoe and you get free mitigation. if they use bloodbath the healer doesn't even need to pay them any extra attention. if they're a samurai they get free kenki without even having to stand in piss puddles

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 3, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i actually really like it when tanks face the boss at 10:30 or 01:30 if there isn't some mechanic that'll punish you for it. i think i first noticed a tank doing it in p3s and it was really nice because it let the melees stay tightly stacked with everyone else and avoid tethers being off in weird places and made baiting the big fireballs really comfy

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I dunno, I just got out of a group that had two wipes on the level 87 final boss and I think I might be dumber than when I started

i was gonna ask how in the gently caress but then i started getting ptsd flashbacks of half the party going down to gales(2) in the latest trial and lmao

also tossing another two cents into the hat to say going in blind is the best but some people just feel (or actually have) the need to study so you do you :shrug:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

their fight design language is pretty drat tight, especially after the recent work to back-port markers to older content where things used to be more... experimental?

in normal msq content, especially, you eventually build up a pretty good understanding of what they want you to do and they usually give you enough time for pure reaction play. sometimes they throw in pure 50/50 coinflip and gotcha mechanics but they usually don't kill you outright if you guess wrong.

with late shb and going in ew the big thing is that they start getting more comfortable throwing combo mechanics at you and using boss/environment tells instead of telegraphing everything thru the castbar name or piss puddles

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 14, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, the bigger problem is that every dps other than rdm and, uh, monk? feel like fifty levels stretched out to ninety with the terrible downsync experience that implies instead of the other way round

even rdm feels pretty lacking not getting a proper finisher till, what, seventy?!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think you actually get the first one a little bit earlier because i remember how awkward it was for a few levels :v:

i do like the finishers and rdm does feel lacking synced down under them, imo (tho losing part of your melee combo feels ten thousand times worse) but i don't mind playing it synced down to 50 near as much as some other jobs

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i went for sge before sch because i was terrified of df scholars

it's basically the same

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it sounds like you were trying to use a dispeller on the plate itself (i think that's an option? i don't think i've ever actually done it) and that will wipe the plate clean and any dyes you applied on the plate itself. only dyes that were applied before putting a piece of gear in the dresser or on gear in the dresser itself (not an individual plate, just the dresser) will persist and be applied with that piece of gear by default when added to any other plates.

there is no way to take a plate "off"; when you apply one it applies all the contained glamours to the gear you are wearing individually. you can either glamour the gear again, either individually or with another plate, or you can dispel each piece of gear you are wearing to get back to its base appearance

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Actually the glamour plate menu has an option on the top right hand side to fully dispel all current Glamours without impacting your existing plates. I assume it just bulk uses glamour dispellers in your inventory.

oh neat, probably hit it once seven years ago or something

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

My experience with quote-unquote high-level WoW raiding back in the day was "rather than learning this fight stand in a line so you only kill a couple of people when you explode" and people would still mess it up. I'm sure things have progressed since Molten Core.

that was basically the pf solution for p10s's daemonic bonds 3 a couple months ago

thankfully it didn't seem to catch on

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Serious question though does the game have tank armour similar to Judges from FFXII?

I always thought those looked really sick and the bad guys from 2.0 had a similar style.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yes, they're the second stage armor from the level 80 adventuring foray Bozja.

there's also the elemental set from eureka (the stb adventuring foray) that might scratch the same itch

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Woke up to a bunch of reports about this

goons be normal for five seconds challenge (impossible)

funnily enough i remember being pretty content thru the arr patch quests (long before they were trimmed down, even) but heavensward's abysmal maps combined with the still heavily prevalent "run all over the drat place" quests eventually did me in even tho i was much more interested in the story

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, there's an enormous range on the performance scale covered by "adequately". the latest ex trial i had clear pulls with a dozen+ deaths that still never got close to seeing enrage

mechanics will turbo murder you if you gently caress up and often trigger a cascade of deaths due to bodies missing for the next mechanic (at least with the modern encounter design's love of body checks) but the actual expectations of button pushing ability, both dps and party mitigation, are still pretty low

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

primal is also hoppin' right now for rival wings. if you're on dynamis, well, that place is a ghost town. unless you're hanging with an fc there i highly recommend just hopping to aether or primal for anything involving other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

someone hasn't seen the light of a zoe boosted pneuma

funny thing is that at higher levels sage really doesn't shield a lot, at least below savage level content (and even then less than you'd think). you've got mits and regens and instant spot heals pouring out of every orifice, often on the same button. sure, (pan)haima do work but they're on a 2m timer.