Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
ARE kinda sucks I guess but otoh I felt like a lot of EW hit harder for me by the time I got there because of the ~journey~ and I'm glad I didn't skip it. And I did it long before the edits that made it much more reasonable!

e: also I'm a weirdo and don't think it actually sucks that much anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nitrousoxide posted:

This HIldebrand questline has all the chaotic energy of a DnD 5e group after several beers.

Oh the highs you have ahead of you :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I would do, having played up to this point in the Xbox trial just for fun, would be to change the order of events for the opening cities to make a little more sense. Early game vague MSQ spoilers follow: I would equalize the first 3 dungeons from the starting areas to level 15 and change the order based on where you've started. And I would hold off on doing the envoy tour of the other 2 cities until you've completed the first dungeon, in order to give a little more credence to "hey, this is a capable adventurer who I am comfortable sending to represent us." instead of "oh wow you found an egg, let's send you off on an important mission." I would also do some mandatory quests in the cities as you visit them, including that city's starter dungeon, so that you can get a better sense of the city and its political situation before moving on. I think it would make the story more cohesive and would cut down on some of the doing nothing but running from place to place talking to people elements of the early game. I would also eliminate some of the side quests for unlocking basic gameplay features, such as haircuts, or work them into the MSQ, so that players don't hit level 50 without being aware of poo poo like that. it may not solve all the problems people have with the writing or general story, but I think those changes would go a long way in making ARR more palatable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think duty support becomes useful the later you go as a nice learning experience for more complicated boss mechanics, if you're someone like me who gets anxiety about not knowing mechanics when playing with other people. And yeah, having actual named characters with dialogue means that I'm pretty much always going to do them that way first from now on

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sunday Morning posted:

Whatever you do don't accidentally mouse over the spoiler in the post above mine. A big spoiler hidden in a tiny post.

*Chris Farley voice* fat spoiler in a little pooost

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I'm having to do a bunch of the stuff in the Golden saucer to get that limited time car mount because I didn't have any MGP saved up. I guess I'll give my review of the various things to do there.

GATES: I don't really like these very much. Having to sit around waiting for one to start to reliably get your 3 wins/5 plays is kind of annoying. It seems like most of these are jumping puzzles too. Which I'm not especially fond of. There's also a couple that are basically.

Chocobo Racing: Alright. There seems like there might be an interesting progression here, though I'm not very far in it. The Challenge Log's requirements have you doing a lot of races to get that reward.

Minigames: There seem like there's basically 2-3 ones with various reskins. They aren't very interesting, and I wouldn't really do them outside the weekly, but at least the weekly has really mild requirements.

Verminion: I was expecting this to be pokemon battler, not an RTS. I had fun the few times I played it, though I didn't try any games against real people since you didn't need to in order to get the weekly. This is easily the second-quickest source of MGP after the fashion week (with a fashion guide)

Triple Triad: This is the stand-out here for me. Some of the rules like "Plus" I needed to look up some better explanations for. But I really enjoy this game. And the tournaments to fulfill the weekly are short 3 round things, and both times I've played it's been draft, so that makes it nice and fair regardless of your deck collection.

Mini/Large Cactpot: It's a lottery, what else is there to say.

Fashion Week: This is kind a neat idea. It gets people thinking about the endgame fashion grind, and encourages themes. My first time actually trying to make an appropriate look was last week, where I did the cowboy outfit, and I like that so much I saved a glamour plate of it, so bonus points for that. Also the quickest and easiet way to get MGP.

Mahjong: I only "played" one game. But as I said earlier I hadn't the foggiest notion of how to play. I'm very surprised they don't require you to at least win a tutorial before playing people. I don't think I'll be aiming for any weeklies for this, unless I take the time to actually understand the game. As even a "short" game was like 30 minutes with no way to back out. Obviously can't really speak to its quality since I don't understand the game, but I'll take everyone's word that it's really well-made.

The golden saucer music is also kind of driving me mad sitting around for these, and I wish there was a way to turn off specific music (like there is for the chocobo mount music) because I don't necessarily want to turn off ALL music, but ugh...

If you're not opposed to using illegal mods, dalamud has an orchestrion plugin that lets you change the music to whatever you want. It was a lifesaver when I was grinding out mats on my animal crossing island (not really sure if this counts as a spoiler but spoiling just in case, as it's a new gameplay element that wss added in EW)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish that all collab events would get rerun, like how the 15 event is back on. Salty I never got a chance to hang out with Lightning

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

quiggy posted:

Gridania is the best city-state :colbert:

I love Limsa but Gridania is definitely the least confusing layout and thus best for new players, imo. I started there when I tried out the xbox beta and it was like "ohhhh this is much more sane than starting in Limsa"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Attack on Princess posted:

I just did Sastasha in the level 15 ARR MQ "It's Probably Pirates", and that was exactly what I was looking for when I asked about dungeons. Sorry for the confusion.

My conjurer is 31 and I'd previously been doing Guildhests up to "More Than A Feeler", mistaking Guildhests for dungeons. So yeah, I lacked the knowledge to ask what I was trying to ask in a way that would make sense to the thread.

I'm super relived that there's stuff like Sastasha though. That was fun!

Man if you were into Sastasha you have some real sights to behold. To be a sprout again :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat, been playing the Xbox beta trial and they really just give you a stack of 40 teleports to the waking sands now lol. God drat that would have saved me a lot of gil and time spent running from horizon to the waking sands.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FuturePastNow posted:

You should get 99 total now before they stop sending you there

:eyepop:

good lord, and I did it long before those even existed. what the gently caress, how did I manage

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

404notfound posted:

Oh hey, just noticed that there's a newbie thread. Started on the Xbox beta a few weeks ago, and I'm at level 56 on my dragoon and about to start the 2.3 quests. Hoping to hit 60 soon so I can give tanking with GNB a try.

I'm really starting to feel the 300k gil cap now for the free trial, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the free (for Game Pass subscribers) starter edition on Thursday just to uncap it, even though I probably have a ways to go before 70. I went around trying to buy all the orchestrion rolls and other expensive items that I could find, but what else can I invest my gil in so I'm not throwing it all away?

Huh, what's this about free starter edition on game pass? Since everything up to shadowbringers is already in the free trial, what do you actually get?

e: found an article and it says that it's just through stormblood which is already free via free trial. So I guess you would just get it if you want to have access to the full game's features and start paying a sub.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Those duties go a long way in making me disagree with people who say that rotations should get condensed the way they are in pvp

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HaB posted:

I am a controller player, so I Comm whoever is still left. If there's more than one - best portrait gets it.

But usually by the time I have tabbed over to the Comm button, most of the party has left. :(

poo poo I primarily play mouse and keyboard and I struggle to get off the commend half the time. People be mashing the U key and dropping immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You can also just hide the quests and forget about them forever