Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Except for the ones that just unlock new jobs/professions you may not be interested in, and Relic weapon poo poo (which you don't see until level 50) for newbies I genuinely think you should prioritise those blue 'unlock' quests over the Main Story whenever you see one.

That way you also complete all of one expansion's cool raids and optional dungeons before you move onto the next dungeon.
Pharos Sirius is an optional level 50 dungeon but if you never do it then you never get to hear one of the best dungeon tracks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRcuojE7Pc
(Except when it randomly plays in PotD)

Raids also all have important lore stuff to one degree or another. They're not hard, you're meant to do them before moving on in the story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Some people in this thread seem to think I made that 'which quests to prioritise' infographic (I did not) so I'll restate that advice in a different way:

If you are playing this game as a newbie, you will have a better time picking up every single Blue Quest and either doing them ASAP or throwing out the ones you're not interested in, rather than ignoring them all except when you have to.

Examples of Blue Quests you might throw out:

- A job or crafter/gatherer you're not currently interested in levelling (I would still recommend levelling at least one crafter/gatherer to 50 at some point even if you go no further, because it will unlock other stuff, but it's not a huge priority)
- Relic weapons and variations thereof, like primal weapons
- Eureka, it sucks, I refuse to do it and you can't make me (you won't see this anyway until after Stormblood)
- Extreme/Savage trials you're not able to tackle yet and don't want clogging up up your questlog. This is solved by Stormblood where accepting the quest just autocompletes it and puts the Extreme challenge in your duty list, so you can tackle it whenever you want and you don't have the quest clogging you up.

Examples of Blue Quests you will see and definitely want to do:
- Every single optional dungeon
- Every single raid
- Every single alliance raid
- the one that lets you mess with materia
- the one that lets you glamor/dye your stuff

'Raids' in FF14 do not have the same meaning it does in something like WoW.
A 'normal raid' is an 8-man fight that's basically a slightly tougher/longer, but still very doable for casual players, trial/bossfight.
An 'alliance raid' is basically a dungeon except for 24 players split into 3 parties of 8. These are, again, very doable for casual players.
You do not need to look up guides to do these. Just follow what all the other players are doing, and if you see markers on your minimap, go to the one assigned to your party (e.g. party C goes to marker C).

Raids and optional dungeons will not only have real actual lore in them, which may get called back to in future MSQ content, but also introduce mechanics and boss thematics that will get reused in future content. You will have a good experience if you complete all of one expansions raids before moving onto the next expansion, and a much smoother story experience.

One weird exception: the 'Coils of Bahamut' are the equivalent of Normal Raids for ARR, except they're tuned closer to 'Savage' difficulty because they were still figuring out how to structure content. While they are skippable, they genuinely have some deep lore in them. If you can manage it, the easiest way to see this is to find a couple of high level players to carry you through them 'unsynced' so they can stomp the content for you and you can see all the cutscenes.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 28, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

euphronius posted:

How many more expansions do you all expect from this game ? 3 ?

At a minimum it's probably going to keep going for the life of the PS5.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Things you should do when you've just finished base ARR and are working your way through patch content:

- Every couple of quests, do one of the optional dungeons that popped up! veterans will appreciate seeing Pharos Sirius suddenly popping up in their dungeon roulette after probably not seeing it in a year. Also clearing a dungeon for the first time will get you a bunch of 'Allagan Tomestones of Poetics' which you'll want, in order to trade them in for the best level 50 gear.
- Do the Alliance Raids! You'll be forced to do this anyway, might as well get a headstart on some of the quests so you don't suddenly stop dead.
- Find some helpful veterans to carry you through the Coils of Bahamut raids! The ancient Allagans will be more and more relevant to the plot as it goes on, and learning lore from the Coils of Bahamut will help explain matters such as "Where the gently caress has Alphinaud's sister been after she hosed off back when I was choosing a Grand Company?" and "Who is this Louisioix guy that was apparently a big enough deal for one of the big baddies in the end dungeon to name him?"
- Do the Hildibrand quests! They're comedy. If you do them all, I find the ones post-Stormblood to actually be genuinely funny! They also have actual trials gated behind them! gotta catch all the trials
- Level an alternate job! Now's a great time to try out a different role.
- Gathering and crafting! Now that you can fly, and have access to the whole of ARR, this is a good time to pick up some of the crafting-specific quests and clear them out. It's also valid to hold off on this until you unlock the 'Firmament' in Heavensward content which makes levelling gatherers/crafters quickly much easier.
- Decide if you want to do one of the 'Relic Weapon' or 'Primal Weapon' subjects and grinds! You don't actually want to do this, trust me. But you could.
- Maybe trying doing some Beast Tribe daily quests! Yeah, it's tedious, but if you're going to log on daily anyway... Be thankful you get to do this with flying unlocked, instead of the awfulness it used to be. There's a special questline at the end for doing them all!

If you try to blast through every MSQuest you'll have a rough time.

If you do five to ten MSQuests a day, and then maybe give one of the optional dungeons a shot, you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Can't believe I forgot to mention doing Hildibrand sidequests, edited that into my post.

Newbies should do those because they have actual content like trials gated behind them!

In theory I suppose this means you should also do the ARR Relic weapon up to the very first stage, both because it's pretty easy, and also because there's two trials gated behind it.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Shinjobi posted:

Stormblood and post Stormblood MSQ down. Now it's time to punch the light, or the shadow, or like...I dunno, whoever else decides to come back into the story all willy nilly.

Starting to doubt the lethality of my fists, here.

I strongly recommend the Stormblood raids and especially the 'Four Lords' trials and dungeons you unlock, starting from the Hell's Lid optional dungeon, if you haven't done them already. Leads to some very impressive fights that play with boss mechanics.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The only information anyone in the newbie thread needs to know about melding is "As a newbie, you do not need to care about melding".

Any materia you can get as quest rewards, either take to an NPC to just slot it immediately; slot it yourself if you've levelled a crafter; or just immediately toss it into the market board. Keep it out of your inventory.

Possible exception: You are actually levelling gathering/crafting and need that little extra boost. In this case maybe you want to hold onto those crafting-related materia but you'll probably set your mind at ease just chucking those materia, as above, and buying more off the market board once you actually need it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ARR is a bit weird and especially some of the 2.x optional dungeons can get tricksy on you (Amdapor Hard would mess you up on the last boss if you didn't 'get it') but if you are in Heavensward and beyond you do not need to watch any video before going into a dungeon, they are built with the expectation than any group can easily breeze through and maybe wipe once ever on their first time. Even if you're a tank.

I know this because that's how I did it and I'm not even a good tank.

Also some dungeons have hype as heck moments and you'd be depriving yourself of that if you saw it on a video as your first time instead of getting to experience it firsthand.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

God Hole posted:

what's a hunt train? I'd like to avoid stepping on that rake for now

You will also recognise them occasionally in the wild if you see a bunch of people goofing off on the fanciest mounts they own as they prep to all rush to the next hunt target.

Here's some cute art of what it looks like to see one go by.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Broke: Continuing to solo when the healer dies
Woke: Walking into the fire so you can restart as a group
Bespoke: As Warrior or Paladin, pull the rest of the group, sans healer, through the fight with your own heals and mitigation

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Side content you can mostly ignore:

- Yellow sidequests that don't have a picture, so they're mostly just extra loot and worldbuilding filler
- Job quests for jobs you aren't interested in (including crafters)
- Triple Triad and other Gold Saucer stuff
- Relic weapons, beyond the initial trial unlocks

Has lore, but is annoying enough these days to mostly not bother:
- Eureka
- Bozja (not as bad as Eureka but harder to finish the story for these days)

Has payoff but takes time, make sure you unlock flying first:
- all the Beast Tribe quests

Everything else is worth doing in the expacs it was part of. Every trial, raid, alliance raid, optional dungeon, etc, including stuff like Hildibrand and rolequests. Even Doman Restoration is a good way to dump old dungeon gear.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is there any setting anywhere that makes player overhead HP bars not get obscured by NPCs? This is probably the dumbest UI design decision ever and makes then completely useless when tanking since I can't see mine half the time.

Turn it off, that'll mean they're not obscured by NPCs (since they no longer exist).

The party sidebar is generally enough if you're a tank, since the question is basically either whether you have aggro, or you don't because you see other people dropping suddenly.

You can edit the UI to drag your main healthbar up next to you and then it'll always be on top of anything.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You could probably just line up the raids or other optional content and do everything in patch order. It'll break up the MSQ at least.

I'd recommend this for basically any players during any expansion ending incidentally, doing all the optional stuff in each story patch (unless it's something you don't care about like crafting/relic weapons/tribes/Eureka) feels a lot better pacing-wise than trying to slam through the MSQ.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The only time I've done sightseeing log is while in queue when levelling a DPS class.

Even doing daily hunts is more XP than the tiny amount the logs give.

I really wish that FATEs gave enough XP to be worth doing as a stopgap, somewhere between a dungeon and PotD. That way you could do PotD for no-effort levelling but FATEs for actually... participating in the world as an MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Normally I advocate "do all the at-level content for every expansion as it unlocks, except for Eureka" but when I say that, gathering/crafting jobs are an entirely separate track that you do when you actually feel like you want to do that.