Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iirc, there's a quest that introduces/unlocks some of the glam mechanics outside the waking sands, but i think you have to have leveled a crafter to like 15 before you can do it because it's tied into the old way of doing glams from back in the Bad Old Days

feel free to correct me if I'm misremembering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quiggy posted:

So now that I'm onto 2.x content and then HW, mind explaining raiding in FFXIV to me? The only game I've raided in before is Destiny, where the raid teams are much smaller but basically require voice chat to survive. Is the Raid Finder a good way to do that? Are people generally chill towards healers who are new to the game and still learning? Should I just skip the ARR raiding scene and go straight to HW?

Raiding in FF14 is, as far as I can tell, a much different (and kinder) beast than in basically any other game.

There are two main forms of raid: Alliance Raid (24-player) and Normal Raid (8-player).

Alliance Raids are considered content for any player and, barring the odd mechanic nobody properly understands or stressful fight or two, of difficulty generally on par with the MSQ of the same level.

The first set of Alliance Raids, the Crystal Tower, consist of three ~20-minute 24-player dungeons and an absolute shitload of cutscenes between queuing for each, and are required to continue the MSQ. Important stuff happens.

The Alliance Raids that follow (Mhach at 60, Ivalice at 70, Nier at 80, and the current set at 90, of which only the first has been revealed) are MSQ-optional, but very much worth the time to play them for both story and for more and fancier boss fights. Be sure to learn about math before fighting mathbot. (They are also all 20-30-minute 24-player dungeons with shitloads of cutscenes in between.)

These are best queued for via duty finder, same as you would a random dungeon that gets thrown your way.

There are two difficulty levels of Normal Raid: Normal and Savage. Normal difficulty is probably a bit harder than content at the same level, but is still absolutely doable at 3 am with a bunch of randoms who have never seen each other before and never will again, half of whom are drunk, the other half stoned, and most of them asleep. (This is hyperbole, but they're honestly really doable, even by me, and I'm Bad At Video Games).

No normal raid is required for the MSQ, but they are all good to have done.

Savage Raids are absolutely optional. They are where the rubber starts hitting the road for real, game difficulty-wise, but they are specifically non-canon fights that do not happen in the story. There is no plot attached to them. The only reasons to do them are

a) you want bigger, meaner fights
b) you want some of the gear these fights drop, which is flashier than the normal stuff and makes for good glam pieces (and, at top level, has slightly better numbers than the other stuff)

Normal Raids began as more similar to other raid formats in other games, where you'd have more dungeon-like environments, some trash packs, then a big boss or two. The trash was dropped over time, and eventually Normal Raids essentially became a series of boss fights, queued for one at a time, with their own cutscenes and plot between.

Normal Raids consist of 12* 10-15-minute duties, released in groups of four over several expansion patches, with the fourth, eighth and twelfth being a bit beefier than the others, usually.

(* one has 13 but it doesn't really count, read on)

The level 60-90 normal raids on normal difficulty can be queued for via duty finder, no problem.

Now, here's where the problem is: The level 50 raids, Coils of Bahamut, are from ancient times, and even at the normal level, were tuned way harder than need be. Running these 13 stages at-level is the equivalent of running a more modern raid set on savage difficulty. However, there is Big-Deal Plot You Will Probably Want To Know in them. It's hoped that squenix will eventually retune the series to more reasonable numbers, or make it a single-player experience, but that is a day far in the future.

Do not queue for Coils on duty finder normally. You will never get a party together.

They've changed the terminology ("undersized party" is the current nomenclature iirc), but you'll still hear people talk about running fights "unsynched." By switching the appropriate setting in duty finder, you can queue for most duties without forcing your level down. This makes the best way to queue for Coils being grabbing a couple friends, queuing unsynched, and being prepared to not mind that they're going in there as level 90s who one-shot everything to carry you through to see the plot. The plot is the most important part of Coils.

People can also farm older fights unsynched for gear drops, this can either be a solo activity or something done with a group in party finder.

For queuing for savage difficulty, that is where you want to have a team, probably with voice chat, the whole nine yards. That's not my scene, not worth the frustration imo. Someone else can give tips on how to live that life.

As regards "the raiding scene," the stuff you're mentioning in your post really only exists in savage difficulty. People are expected to field their positions, but in normal difficulty, outside of the most recent fights, people generally aren't that stressed about group performance (apart from the occasional group you land in where people think they can just out-dps mechanics that they absolutely cannot---looking at you, A9.) When you get to the 60 normal raids, just like a dungeon, the magic words "it's my first time" will take all the heat off you.

Additionally, you'll notice people referring to raid sections by an initial and a number, such as I just did, the ninth stage of the "A" fights. This is because the names can be spoilery, so they're referred to by first initial. Level 60 unlocks Alexander1-12, 70 for Omega1-12, 80 for Eden1-12, and at 90, we are currently working on Pandaemonium1-8, with the last set of four fights to arrive next year, if memory serves.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

absolutely.

the level 90 stuff might be a little spicier, but that's not an issue for right now

by the time you get there, you'll know what to expect

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my last straw with wow was finding out that not only was the continuation of all the plot I was in the middle of gated behind a mythic, it was also a mythic that I couldn't even access because I was a month behind on the daily grind to get geared up to that level because I spent that month leveling a character and doing the first part of the then-current expansion's plot. just some grade-a king-hell gently caress you poo poo

and that wasn't even endgame, it was like barely into the expansion plot at all (as far as I could tell)

ff14 lets you play the goddamn game without making you feel bad for imperfect play, and for that I am grateful

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

almost like they should do this for all actions

this was the city of heroes solution and it absolutely sucked

me, level squat with like two different kinds of GCD fireball and nothing else teamed up with the level infinity guy I knew, who synched down to my level but still had a full rotation and a bunch of OGCDs so was still wiping out entire rooms of guys before I even finished one

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

good or bad there is a loving lot of it (arr) that was originally delivered over like, what, two? three years?

it doesn't need to be drip-fed over that period of time, but it's definitely not something to be plowed through, especially if the person telling you to do so hasn't done so recently

the interesting thing to me, as someone who's caught up to the game's current plotlines but reads this thread regularly is how many entire-rear end multi-quest plotlines people bring up that I've completely forgotten I've played through as recently as, like, two years ago?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I had a feeling the relics were more of a Fashion Fantasy XIV thing, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Old relics are fashion. The current (whenever current happens to be) relic is "here's something to grind between expansions, it will eventually be one of the best things you can get before the next expansion."

However, because relics are relics, the grind to make and upgrade them never goes away, though it is occasionally mitigated a bit as time goes on, I believe.

I have never bothered to take a relic past the first step, to this point, though now that I am actually caught up to the point where the relic grind begins for the post-EW relic, I am going to attempt to do this one. I cannot possibly imagine going back and doing the ones from the previous expansions.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i thought it expired three months after account creation of character creation of something

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

no

best you can do is go to the moogle and select "previous exchange" from the menu

and even then, one's not going to get you anything worth mentioning

toss it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's because people were grinding it for tomes, give it a month or so and everyone will forget how deathgaze works again and it'll be carnage all over again

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

never skip ivalice cutscenes

as we have suffered, so must others

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the ivalice stuff is rough pacing-wise even for someone who wanted to go through it and get the backstory dumped at them because I sure as poo poo didn't understand a single thing that was happening in FFT's plot when I beat it back in like 2003 and wanted ff14 to explain it to me

which it also failed to do

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

warrior is one of the best tanks for me, but i really didn't like any of the job quests all the way from level dot

tbh, i didn't really like any of the tank job lines, for one reason or another

idk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

open tournaments are the ones where everyone drafts decks from possible cards selected by the game, that one's easily fixed by squenix, just don't offer players plot-heavy cards. it's not like they're playing people who are bringing their own decks

hexwren fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 26, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that one

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dareon posted:

Only ten of them, the other 90 appear to be idling in limsa

you can do these things simultaneously

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

relics are all (except for the current expansion's relics) "how can we make the player burn as much time as possible doing insane busywork grinding over the next two years until the next expansion comes out"

i had never gotten beyond the first stage of any relic in the game until EW sliced the Gordian knot and just let you play the game as you like to get there

absolutely skip relics until you catch up

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

I decided to make a thread in IZ to catalog my roleplaying exploits since I expect many of you to be the person who tells the teacher they forgot to assign homework

bookmarked, rated 5

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was mostly okay with the slog of ARR, but the thing with me was that this was the first time (after my extremely thin mmo experience of a couple attempts at warcraft and a little bit of time in guild wars 2) where no matter how inane the plot might be, i was actually getting the plot, instead of hoping that the sidequests i did panned out into something i could follow or warcraft's stupid thing of not letting you play through years of plot and then acting like I'm supposed to know who the gently caress this guy who died dramatically in front of me even is - or worse, putting the actual expansion plot behind mythics and months of gear grind to even get to see the plot you paid to see

so i was willing to put up with a lot more than a sensible, experienced player might

is demon being abrasive about it? sure. is there a payoff coming? sure. do they still need to winnow out a whole shitload more redundancy in ARR questing? yes.

i imagine part of it is that because it's the old voice cast, they can't record new lines or combined scenes to condense poo poo down more cleanly

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Alright, I'm probably gonna level them casually anyway because I see no point in waiting because I'm still very early into HW.

Crafting and gathering in the restoration requires you to be level 20+ anyway, IIRC, so there's nothing wrong with at least getting your classes started, even if you do want to wait.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

be sure to do leap of faith in first-person as well

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

Void ark was a fun series of raids. I didn’t get the cards or minions though so I’m loving pissed

i think i ended up getting every other alliance raid minion before i got anything from the 60s, need rolls are weird

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

everything i'd heard about the social/gambling scene before TLD came along was that it was all rigged in favor of the house, especially giveaways, the bulk of which would end up going to plants

it's not the sort of thing I expect to hear

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Veotax posted:

If you brought anything from the cash shop, then all of that is going to be able to be put in armoire in 6.5 (or 7.0, I forget which). So that can free up some dresser slots.

the problem there I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to handle is where I have cash shop stuff i put into the dresser so i could dye it jet black or pure white before putting them into plates. i know I've got at least a few things in that direction

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, fishing is fine.

ocean fishing is fun as hell.

"big" fishing is pursuing the rarest, most pain-in-the-rear end fish in the game, and is completely unnecessary.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you can, however, sink all your hard-earned mgp into ridiculous purchases

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mainwaring posted:

I think gridania has the best inn room access.

gridania's inn access is second of the three imo - i tend to hit uldah when i want an inn room because hitting the main aetheryte, then porting over to the adventurer's guild feels faster than walking down the hill in gridania, though it may not be so objectively

i probably wouldn't port into gridania for much of anything i wanted to get to fast, but as it was my starting city, I'm stuck back there every time i hop data centers for shopping

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if memory serves, you have to actually click on him to target him. idk how that works for controller players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you should probably activate more of your hotbars in the hud editor, regardless

there are a lot of classes where you're going to need a lot more room, and while you're at it, you'll want to go into your keymap settings and put more of those buttons on your keyboard - get used to using modifier keys