Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Remember, sprouts: sprint BEFORE you get aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll check that next time I log in, but that brings up a good question, when I hit tab to try to autotarget mobs, it often for me targets a non-hostile mob and one that's usually very far away to boot. Is there some more convenient way of auto-targeting mobs that are close and hostile? A big problem I face is often sometimes enemies die very quickly, especially in dungeons so its hard to maintain a consistent rotation because enemies keep dying which throws me off trying to target a new one. Maybe 50% of the time tab works fine but sometimes especially in the overworld it targets something of zero interest to me.

You probably need to adjust your target filters but you can also change tab to target the closest mob instead of to cycling through targets.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Alisaie just gets funnier the more you progress the MSQ. It's great.

She's my favorite Scion and she's just great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Now that I think about it, has she really had her own arc like the others have? I feel like she hasn't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Seems like Eureka has very little incentive to do it outside of, I guess, the Stormblood legendary weapon stuff, and a few minions or whatever. You don't get carry-over EXP for all the work you put in.

It is entirely self contained, so yeah, unless you're looking for specific glams, mounts, etc, there isn't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Sounds amazing :unsmith:.

Oh I can't wait until you get higher up. Warrior is a loving blast.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That reminds me I need to just run through a few more squadron missions to help level up my WMH anyways and I haven't unlocked the pushup or stretch emotes yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

IIRC you need to finish 10 unique dungeons, and it'll just appear in your emotes.

It's the Dear Leader 1 achievement, which I think is just 10 command missions in general. I do remember that getting the last Grand Company rank requires you to do unique dungeons though I think?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

quiggy posted:

Hey hey, finally got my first bit of player toxicity after ~30h. Pretty impressed it took that long, tbh. Story itself is pretty unexciting though, was running the leveling roulette and the tank pulled one too many mobs, I was leveling Conjurer and am still pretty new and wasn't able to save it. Someone ended up going off on the tank, probably wasted more time being mad than we lost by wiping.

Yeah it definitely happens way more at low levels, that being said I've been playing for like 3-4 years and I've probably seen something like this happen less than a dozen times or so

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I mean, at least in this thread, for any of you who have gotten far enough into the MSQ you'll quickly realize there are a lot of places we could eventually go.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.

The new move you're talking about is how the buff is generally applied to yourself in boss battles. You go between the third hit of your combo being that and the move that heals yourself and generates 20 beast gauge. Just try not to overcap the buff timer and it's no big deal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I've been pretty successful with grouping my cooldowns into groups and I'll try my best to use one "group" per wall to wall pull although it sometimes doesn't work out that way. In any case, I'll do something like the 30% mitigation and reprisal. Or Rampart and Arms length. Obviously with DRK I'm using TBN on cooldown in that as well. If the fight goes longer I'll pop another group and that usually sees me through. I'll also usually save abyssal drain in case I'm in a bind.

Just as a heads up there are diminishing returns on using multiple mitigation abilities at the same time. You're usually better off just staggering them so you have one active at a time.

Arms Length goes very well with reprisal, though.

That being said since TBN isn't actually mitigation its great to stack it with mitigation in big pulls to get a little more out of the shield since mobs will break it anyways.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah if you need double mitigation to make things easier for trash just do it. You get the hang of it once you have more of your defensive toolbox down the line anyways.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I get random commends as DPS in alliance raids some times. I have no idea why but I hope they liked my glam.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

My first time as healer in a dungeon (Satasha) and we wiped :saddowns:

Probably avoidable if I was a little better with the timing of my buttons, but the tank was also really aggressively pulling mobs, and I did say this was my first time healing.

*Desperately heals the tank as they reach 50 hp* "Huzzah, I succeeded at my job." :unsmith:
"Oh, the tank is getting dangerously close to 50hp again I better heal them" :f5: (Tbf I started the cast just as they dipped below half, they had THAT many mobs on them)
*tank dies mid Cure cast* :stare:
"Oh no." :ohdear:
*tries to cast Raise but gets killed by the mobs who switch to me* (I did not yet have Swift cast as Conjuror as I was level 16)

I apologized, and somehow still got three commendations. :shobon:

You were trying and that's all that matters, good stuff :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It even happens to high level experienced healers who forget that they don't have a bunch of stuff available and don't get GCD heals out in time on the first big pull. Kind of funny honestly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oneiros posted:

fixed

but yeah, early healing where you are missing the majority of your kit (and with the tank in a similar position and likely little to none dps aoe) and the only walls are in your mind is a very, very different beast from healing exdr

that being said, the fundamentals are the same; don't cast heals when you don't need to and do dps when you can

one day they'll change it to a loving upgraded button, right? :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

No. Watching newbie White Mages waste their GCDs spamming Cure 1 at Level 50 for their free Cure 2 is good for you. Builds character.

STOP

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

In any case you'll do much better with a class you click with than one which you read on the internet has the biggest dps when played perfectly

This times a million

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That being said I've been playing MCH again lately for fun and it is very weird trying to get stuff to line up with 2 minute buff windows

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Only time I've only been salty at someone in an alliance raid is when some moron caused a wipe on THAT mechanic on the last boss of the current alliance raid by running back and forth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

ARR relic, just generating lights. 40 something runs of aurum vale, huh. What a beating

It's probably faster to do new totorak, I think the light per dungeon is the same?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

How long do bonus periods for light tend to last?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Using this opportunity to once again remind everyone that WAR 60-70 is the best job quest line in the entire game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

DRK and WAR. Big jobs with big, hard weapons and the power of Love. PLD and GNB, tiny flaccid weapons and stories about ??? Get it together, GNB/PLD

imagine devoting yourself to a monarchist authority. lol. lmao

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The ARR relics try to trick you, make you think that FATE grinding is the most tedious thing in the world.

Then come the books.

The light grind is loving boring as well

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Do you have to engage in grinding gear/faction/attunements/whatever for current expansion MSQ content?

Love the Final Fantasy nostalgia drip feed, hate MMO bullshit.

Literally the only thing you'd need to even mildly concern yourself with is, when brand new MSQ patches come out, maybe doing some of the current dungeons or normal-mode raids to get some gear for your ilvl. But honestly, if you're enjoying the game, you probably would've already done a bunch of that anyways. Can't remember the last time a patch dropped and I wasn't already at the required ilvl just from doing casual stuff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

wait. based on what

S.J.
May 19, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

you shouldn't want to beat up children

wrong

The actual Ivalice raids were fantastic, and the story you get from the raids is also really good, but most of the quests that lead up to them and tie them together were dry as dirt. I'm a huge FFT fan and I loved how they put Ivalice into the world but how they presented it in the quests for that storyline was extremely dull in large part because one of the main focal characters was just so genuinely and intentionally irritating.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I do wish they were dyeable, but I like all the Ivalician stuff. Especially Balthier's and Agrias' outfit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The stormblood Warrior quests are the best job quests in the game :colbert:

But before that, yeah. Dark Knight is peak.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

I know people throw a lot of shade at early game quests, but Smashing rocks as a marauder is loving hilarious.

The marauder quests are pretty good, it's just the heavensward warrior quests that are pretty mid imo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

hexwren posted:

warrior is one of the best tanks for me, but i really didn't like any of the job quests all the way from level dot

tbh, i didn't really like any of the tank job lines, for one reason or another

idk

I was laughing my rear end off during the Warrior stormblood quests so idk

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is fantastic.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

Last few pages just enforced me in my tankxiety.

This whole conversation has me scratching my head because I've tanked nonstop since SHB launched and I have never had a single interaction where someone was rude to me about going faster. It's only ever been " You can big pull, don't worry, I've got you" - if they say anything at all

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Dareon posted:

I have encountered one group where half the party ran ahead of me tanking and pulled another pack. It was like my fifth actual time tanking, it was in Halatali, and it would have served them right if I'd declined to follow them and instead gone to open a treasure chest.

I'm not normally a proponent of "you pull you tank" but getting rescued from two packs into another one soured me to that dude real quick. I don't care if you can keep me alive, I'm already panicking and thinking I just got a huge lag spike and rubberbanded isn't helping.

If someone ever did this to me I would just claim I had a giant lag spike and let them die tbh

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

you're a dick

I'm actually super helpful and nice and go out of my way to help people all the time! Thanks for your input

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oneiros posted:

"i'm only single-targeting mobs at level 80 because that's my preferred play style you don't pay my sub"

Do you see this a lot? I think I've maybe encountered this once, although the person didn't ever say anything in chat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oneiros posted:

not a lot but you run enough duties you see all sorts of poo poo

usually with single pullers it's just skip buyers or someone who finally rolled a high level dungeon in the daily roulette after thirty levels of sastasha

I've been playing the game for I think almost 5 years at this point and have only ever encountered someone like that maybe 2 or 3 times at most, is why I ask. I've spent a helluva lot more time reading about it than actually experiencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If one or two baddies in a pack are attacking someone else in the party, they'll be fine until that part of the pull stops and you can scoop them up. No worries.