Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

S.J. posted:

Now that I think about it, has she really had her own arc like the others have? I feel like she hasn't.

I'm not even at EW yet but Alisae is cool and my well-characterized friend! Bahamut Raid in ARR(ok fine it's ARR and it's Alisae/A Scion in ARR), the Kobold kid in ARR to HW, showing off that she's a Cool RDM And Your Friend into Stormblood, oh gosh she really cares about the WoL from StB into ShB, the desert zone and then some in ShB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about Y'shtola.

Oh no I'm a big dummy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Me getting ready to look at the relic weapon models and give myself a long term headache in the name of fashion.

Also: I am a dumb lizard in the game, a dumb person IRL.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Many unlock through msq progression, many are optional blue checkmarks. Doing every blue you see will mostly serve you well to get at all the content. I think in Stormblood on they start tricking me with food rewards under blues...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pulling multiple packs of trash mobs piles damage onto you a lot faster than the slow wind ups of the average boss and it'll take you 1-2 minutes to clear between bosses, as well as minutes to fight bosses especially as you get further in the game.

If you're single target you use the 3 parter and buff yourself the first time, then do 3 part combos normally. If it's AoE then use your AoE 2 parter, yeah. It'll be something like 100-200-300+Buff and 100-200-350 vs 100-150+buff, AoE tends to be horribly inefficient single target and even questionable at two, depending on the class and potency numbers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If a Melee uses LB1 on a boss it'll remove a nice chunk of HP, though nice chunk gets smaller as you advance in expacs. Therefore if you use Ranged DPS(MCH/DNC/BRD) on a Trash Pack you get the smaller AoE that hits harder vs Casters wider AoE that doesn't hit as hard. So Ranged -> Caster for a big trash group is great because it vaporizes the trash pack for like 40%+ of every mob involved instead of maybe 5% if you're lucky of one boss.

The other etiquette is much later raids have the occasional Tank LB timing and any raid benefits from Healer LB 3 if everybody is dying a lot!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 4, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dareon posted:

I'm going through Alexander, and while it hasn't seen a major uptick in comms for me because I'm the last person out of the instance, no one else seems to want the bittybobs and whirlycogs. Which is fine, no one needs the gear for numbers and the Gordian glams are actually kinda dire. There are a few Midan pieces I want, though maybe I should wait for the dyeables from... Savage? Ultimate?

Alexander is the most common pool by far since it is the first one for Normal Raids that are a lightning fast daily leveling tool so everybody has their fill of turn-in tokens. They're also soloable at 90 for default difficulty dress up. I hoovered them up for awhile to rest in peace on one of my retainers in case I ever want them dresses.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Everybody says "FF14 gets better as it goes" and for once the group mantra is entirely true, the highs of finishing HW entirely justified sloggy bits of ARR for me and then it's like "there's more patch content and 3 more expacs and the quality steadily rises" and my eyes bug outta my skull.

Also post HW is when you start getting these absurdly meaty optional raid storylines that are as good as the main stuff. There is a ridiculous amount of content for the new player that doesn't feel like missing the boat too much like how WoW shotguns you to level cap and the Current Patch Gear Zone as fast as possible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

My god tanking is stressful. :catstare:

I have tank stance on and I'm bonking enemies to try to keep them on me, I'm not sure how Provoke works, but I try to weave between my rotation and my AoE, but I'm like not sure if I'm doing a good job. I'm just trying to do what I saw other tanks do which is run past enemies, hitting at least one of them, and pulling like 2-3 groups.

I am getting commendations though, that's reassuring.

Sometimes my health bar gets dangerously low and I'm just nervously looking at the healer :sweatdrop:

Every Tank gets a ranged attack that has extra +threat, and their aura adds ridiculous +threat too. You don't need to weave Provoke and can save it for an emergency ranged snag or to trade a boss with other tanks in raid stuff later(and this takes awhile to come up at all, you just start doing Alexander fights and later stuff and it's like "oh this guy stacks stuff on the tank until they gib 'em"), your ranged attack will get snap aggro on any one monster at range pretty reliably.

Your AoE rotation with 3+ up generally does the job, though some tanks get more survivability if they do their single target, but killing stuff is mitigation too. Charging or manually running into packs and doing one AoE rotation or using your AoE button(low level content) about twice will glue threat on.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I like having the GCD filler spell on my hotbars entirely for when new fight stimuli/disaster panic overloads my brain for a few seconds and I can just target empty bars and push that a few times as I recover. Always Be Casting and all.

Otherwise yes a fun game to keep people as topped off as possible while never interrupting my damage output.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I found materia handy for closing a few gaps while leveling omnicrafter. In particular bridging 79-90.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The best part of HW PLD is the new Elezen guy being utterly disappointed with everything and ignoring it to make his own way as a hero.

At what point as a writer do you have the characters in a story announce that it sucks but you submit it anyway? After deadlines, I guess!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Buttons should feel good to press and you'll press them better and remember that many classes may not feel that way at certain level ranges, in top of your personal preference. You may also experience epiphanies that seem unrelated to the class at hand by getting better at the game overall, entering a new level range, or just plain old random chance.

Recently I got into DNC on my second try on a target dummy after feeling utterly useless just doing my first class quest. I've been leveling DRG to 70 which is where I hear it becomes "real" and I've really felt that, it's a workable class before then but very clunky and I have having a one button aoe rotation unless we're 55+ for an ogcd or about 60+ for a 1-2.

I also gave AST a poke to start bringing another class from 60-70 off my daily duties and it feels much better than I remembered!

So far the only remaining clunker classes I have are MNK 60 as I haven't felt it and don't quite get the second form ignoring button I got at 60, on top of it feeling kinda high effort for not great button feel vs say NIN, and SMN since I've never played it outside class quests, level SCH instead, I guess the itch will hit me one day.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 11, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mmm, I get the idea of like "do three different moves, do the same move three times, do The Big Kick" but I'm already really sloppy with the cooldowns to ignore form requirements and kind of blanking on what the other one I got is for. I get Perfect Balance lets me renew my damage buff if I drop it with bad timing or line up extra dragon kicks and bootshine crits, though I'm not sure that's the best use of them/extra charges if I'm on top of my rotation.

Form Shift.. I don't really get. Just another get out of forms free card?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

So it'd be like Form Shift, DK, Bootshine into 1-2-3, Perfect Balance to play by ear? What would I use Form Shift for after that, fight intermissions to reset with a DK opener? And what's PB ideally for? I don't need to play meta perfect but I feel like I may be using it wrong, especially since I didn't know about DK wonkiness you just mentioned.

I also find the pre-60 DK only gameplay to be heresy unto Yoshi P and boring, I'd rather the illusion of effort and choice with my 1-2-3s and Shift 1-2-3s. :D

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ahh. Thanks for the help everyone, living up to my WoLs rp profile as empty headed by staring at the literal punch guy rotation and having question marks grow over my head.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The best part of doing Four Lords is dunking on Alphinaud for the rest of his life about a sword.

Also the fights are kickin' rad.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

That creates the expectation that there will be a sudden and noticeable change in quality.

Although I agree 100% with this post:

CodfishCartographer posted:

It depends on WHY you don't like the story, imo. I didn't find Ishgard to be particularly better storytelling than ARR / 2.x quests personally. I found the overall big-picture story to be much better, but the moment-to-moment storytelling didn't noticeably change to me. The dialogue is still way too wordy, character decisions sometimes don't really make sense in context, quests mostly boil down to "run back and forth talking to a lot of NPCs", and the story to gameplay ratio is still overwhelmingly skewed toward story with several-hour-chunks of story before any meaningful gameplay happens (which is often just a 15m dungeon or 5m trial).

And honestly? Most of those problems never get solved. I would say the only time I noticed moment-to-moment storytelling improving was in fuckin Shadowbringers, and even then many of the problems were still present (overly wordy writing, poor pacing, boring quests, skewed story/gameplay ratio, etc). That's not to say the story in FFXIV is BAD, just that there's a lot to dislike about it that does NOT get improved.

And it is why I myself take generous breaks between pushing MSQ, there is undeniably a sudden and noticeable change in quality.

Heavensward Spoilers: Around the time you fight Ascian Prime, King Thordan, and finish the war with Nidhogg I'd firmly gone from "this game can be good at times" to "this game is great!"

Stormblood Spoilers: Now to continue you've got moments where I'm getting emotionally charged and eager to see what happens next really badly on story beats and even mid fight, though that had come up before like when ARR concludes. It becomes much more frequent now.

Shadowbringers Spoilers: And this is the one where this is my favorite MMO I've ever played, I'm genuinely sad to conclude the story and move on because I enjoy it so much, and FF14 has me in its clutches until it shuts down.

Maybe everybody says "it gets better at X" should say "if you follow the story and invest in the coming expansions the payoff is worth it if you enjoyed ARR, even roughly." It was definitely rough for me, add in everything Codfish said about MSQ patch-long quest pacing AND my being enough of a MMO veteran that 1-50 combat was mind-numbing to me.

Love this dang game tho. And the combat picks up sublimely, and since you're all discussing PvP: PvP combat good and unique! S'like two good games in my one great game!

ARR Spoilers: As I understand ARR had to be bolted together to save a sinking ship and characters like the Ascians really were placeholder generic Dark Darkness Darkly Darking villains, and so on. They picked it up and used it better later, but yeah things are gonna get better in quality when the crunch or die environment is relaxed, I wager.

Also while I'm on ARR spoilers, I was able to endure through to the end because the Empire were pretty good FF villains to carry 45+. So even before a new expac there was a huge spike in quality, though I appreciate the set-up of the various regions and conflicts for all the earlier MSQ errand running.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

For what it's worth it is specifically the 50-60 HW PLD questline that is terrible. The 30-50 is middle of the road.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PLD 50-60 Spoilers: It starts off as a pretty routine "here's the new generation of hero/paladins" with the Elezen guy you help train, then you suspect the old Roe dude from the 50 questline is staging things to help train the guy up better, THEN the Roe dude reveals that he's batshit insane AND the very important assassins from PLD 50 were killed to a man off screen forget them, and there's a very vague and pointless and kind of lore goofy(no other soul crystal/job line does it as far as I can tell) resolution where 3 paladins charge their JO Crystals to make your PLD Crystal and/or a sword strong again, I think the artifact blade lost in 50 but nobody cares and did I mention the Roe guy has become a moron?

It's all so incredibly stupid the Elezen guy swears to forget it happened and go quest normally as his plot resolution, the 60-70 questline hard reverses course back to an arena story and the actual PLD characters are mocking it in dialogue during the questline. It's utterly baffling to experience and a far mark below the stories that are just boring "doing my job chores" stuff like WHM.

At least HW WHM had an average+ finale!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you're free trial you can't use the MB but if you're not then the MB may surprise you. Some early items are valuable because they're used in bulk to push past certain crafter windows, or needed to advance the window at all.

Boar hide comes to mind. The tooltip of an item will show if it can be found on a vendor and how much it sells for to npc vendors, so even 50 gil a piece can beat 2 gil vendored. If an item says it is sold by a vendor but is like 216 gil(limited) it should potentially sell well, the limited means it has a time gate component like advancing beast tribe reputation.

The crafting vendor easy mats window closes shortly after 15-20 or so, and boar leather is the LW common material for the 25-30 window and so on. There are also many, many monster drop windows that slow down ALC especially in later expansions.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 1, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Matter repair strikes me as more of a dedicated raiding thing where I guess multiple wipes would crunch durability faster. Even when I do crazy dedicated farming and forget to vendor repair for a few days getting my stuff down to 30% across the board is barely breaking 5 digits in gil. I can get that by sweeping my duties for the day or selling one good item as an omnicrafter 90. I made like 20 million after costs getting to that and you need a high enough prof to do your own repairs anyway, right?

Do repair prices spike hard at 90? I carry a stack in chocobo saddle just in case but I've never touched it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

R E V E L R Y

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Squadrons were ten runs of Thousand Maws and then 1 run of the first few other dungeons to get the promotion requirements. You could do less but I didn't know about the promotion requirement. Tank spec, single pulls, absolutely mindless 2nd monitor video stuff. Luckily after that never again and sweet emotes and promotes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

There is only one other quest like that and they cut it out of the storyline. Specifically I'm talking about that loving wine quest from the Ivalice raids (which, ironically enough, also involves the Company of Heroes and a pointless, irrelevant fetch quest.) but you no longer need to do it in order to finish the questline.

Ironically I loved the wine quest because it's one of those rare times they crank up the humor and it's hilarious since the setting is usually played straight and a bit dry.

It is a heinous FedEx chore line buuut among other things I was won over by ONE MAN'S RUSE IS ANOTHER'S KEIKAKU!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Art imitates life. Sad to hear that, but yeah you don't keep your amazing resources by actually giving them away. And here, look at all these people who attended and waited for the contest to start, which of course is X hours into run time, hmmm. Surprised entry isn't open only to people who subscribe on Twitch or something. :haw: I 100% agree with you that any event organizer worth their salt can't enter their own events!

FWIW I've been to several fun community run venues and they've earnestly given out their prizes by the mercy of RNG. Betting on roll fights, pooling gil to reward the winner of a three month season of fights, costume contests that weren't decided by cliques. I guess if you see "twitch + DJ" or anything too professional you should be wary, but close knit long time community running the same event for years with a small discord where everybody shares memes and screenshots is the real deal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

If I'm tanking in a Trial or Raid, hit half health, and don't have access to Living Dead or whatever 'oh poo poo' button, is it ok to shirk to the other tank?
Do they then become the main tank for the run until they shirk back?

At half health the healers will actually give you their oGCD heals and cooldowns. If you crater to 10% they will begin the ceremonial game of chicken to see who actually casts a GCD heal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

standing shoulder to shoulder with the second tank in 8 man roulettes and pumping as much damage as possible to see who is the dominant Tank, glam

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

As an every cutscene enjoyer Ivalice exposition dumps were far, far, far, far, far too dry and dull and making Ramza an rear end in a top hat didn't help. Not an entertaining rear end in a top hat, I loved every part of the Weapon storyline. I did appreciate a bit what they tried to do in writing "FFT long after FFT resolved" and the true history of the real Ramza and Delita and some closure that wasn't entirely bad. I developed a Pavlovian aversion to going back to the airship between raid wings though.

The wine bit was hilarious and well done at least, even if the entire joke there is that that also went on for far too long! Always happy to see the rare times FF14 goes psycho mode on the humor.

Nier raids worked really well and I say that as someone who hasn't gotten around to playing Nier or Draken games at all yet. Super obvious crossover, sure, but they did a pretty fine job of covering their rear end(it takes place in a forgotten corner of a destroyed world full of intense danger and purely isolationist factions and you can only travel to this world by extraordinary circumstances so it isn't like "duhhh why doesn't X faction go pick up a bunch of free alien tech?") and the dwarf storyline was pretty good even if you didn't already like Nier. The 2P twist works well for a totally blind crossover enjoyer too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you stick with omnicrafting then you can trade time for significant cash gains, including just the leveling process from about 51+ up selling goods for fashion. This assumes you level by making stuff in the log instead of slamming through levies or whatever. A much longer and more long term process but hey I just wanted to do a little bit a day. Once you're set up you can just make a few items from a fashionable batch and list one at a time for 50k+ a pop, especially fabulous weapons. Somebody is always going to want a level 60-80 weapon appearance that compliments their glam.

Pvp a bit and you can get hundreds of ventures from wolf marks at the vendor. Level your retainers and send them out once a day for 7-9 allagan silvers a day per retainer.

Do your duties daily you get about 5 digits of gil per.

It's not exciting but after 6 months I had an Omni 90 and I'd made 30m+ gil or so, paid for everything I bought to level and then some. You could also go head empty with a podcast on and harvest stuff directly to sell.

If you do content then sell the new cute dog drops when each patch hits. I also sold a huge backlog of materia after 6.2 hit and made millions from stuff I compulsively tore out of my gear while leveling regularly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Rogue is trivially easy 1-2-3 gameplay until NIN, at which point you're expected to pay the slightest bit of attention by adding ninjutsu once a minute for buff uptime and every other time for damage. It takes awhile before you're really responsible for ogcds, buff windows and any synergy in your skills.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Can you really call yourself a fisherman without a floppy hat and overalls glam?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"No mother, I will NOT be going to bed at 9 tonight. I am a young adult."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Sorry, I'm new to tanking!" as I watch the neon red marker of justice herald death finding the deserving.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Once you get to 50 you will have daily queues available that let you heal as much as you want and catch any class up to a useable level over several days. Once you get to 60 you get another snappy "normal raids" queue that is like Trials, one shot boss fights. As you get past certain caps you can do group content that a healer would be welcome at. 70 and 80 have big open world throwback zones, partyfinder is full of groups of people doing older content, sometimes at level and so on.

You can pvp from 30 if you progress the job quest to getting the stone at 30, all classes have a distinct and different flavor in pvp and healers do get to support others but on short cooldowns, i.e. doing your big damage spike gives party members near you shields or regen, or you get 2 charges of single target heal every 8-15 seconds. PvP healing revolves a lot around burning your own MP as every class and player to recuperate yourself but healer support helps a lot.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you base your character off the guy you play in the MSQ then yeah it's very rigid. That's why 99.9% of roleplayers don't.

You can do plenty of antics like that tax collector shtick in FF14 and I know tons of people who'd love to see more of that sort of RPer, somebody looking to have fun with a sense of humor and a good idea. You get more nuance into what your character is the further you go in the game(if you want Au Ra lore you gotta clear most of Stormblood, loads of people pretending to be Garlean, etc) and virtually no RPers consider themselves the Warrior of Light/FF14 Main Character Who Hangs Out With The Scions. Hell, a lot of RPers share common consensus that certain jobs virtually don't exist because of the in-game lore based on how prevalent or super special the job is, such as Black Mage and White Mage. People love Conjurers/Geomancers and Thaumaturge RPers though.

I go to a roll fight club every Friday, it's just trading d1000s at each other but everybody socializes and we get like pro wrestler level rivalries going. I've also seen people use FF14 just to run little D&D style sessions with somebody hosting.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Crystal Data Center and Balmung/Mateus have big roleplayer communities and with world and data center travel you just gotta find groups and discords you enjoy hanging out with and you can meet up with them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pure grade MMO content. It's also challenging content, soloing to 200 is a serious mark of honor. Aside from learning to optimize it is pretty basic at heart with proc-gen box rooms and the level cap but it has a certain charm.

It will get you nice class XP if you grind it to learn it but imo it never seemed particularly fast for the sake of doing it just for that, group or solo. Also a full 1-100 or X to 200 run feels like a several hours long commitment? You can save and come back to your run at least. You also need some grinding to get the mats and stat ups to consider pushing hard.

Farming the loot requires finding invisible spots to stand on. You get power-ups normally that'll just tell you where these are but it's pretty grindy either way, insane without the power-up.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 24, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

God Hole posted:

I've had truly awful PF experiences trying to clear floor 50 of POTD. I made three attempts and all three times the party disbanded on floor 30 leaving me discouraged and alone with a daunting task ahead of me or an impossible queue to form a new party

If you always travel rooms by hugging walls to avoid Another Stupid Trap Deaths and are an even mildly self sufficient class than soloing to 50 POTD isn't very demanding. I did it on War or Gnb, but really all that mattered even with the level cap blocking access to big self healing was killing things one at a time and having generous CDs on bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Use Paissa to look up houses that are available on your server. Wards are separated into FC only, Individual only and Both, so if you can't bid in a ward it may be FC only. If there are a lot of FC only houses sitting empty you can roll a vanity FC and wait like 30 days and get some ranking or whatever, I don't know the exact details but for a MMO it's not a huge investment. The lottery cycles every 8ish days with several days to bid. It's 3m to 4.5m depending on location for a small, 15m+ for mediums and 40m+ for larges.

You bid and at the end of the entry period it rolls dice based on however many people bid and selects one winner, so if you're on Dynamis you can actually get a house but if you're on any remotely established server group you roll the dice every time until you win or go insane. Getting a house without vanity FC setup or a forgiving server is pure luck.

The far easier introduction to housing is to get an apartment which are instant purchase if you can find an open room or join a Free Company(FC)/Guild and spend like 300k for a room you can decorate that is the size of an apartment. FC room limits are so generous you can always get at least this one space for yourself. Apartments cap at 100 items set out, Small Houses have 2 apartment sized spaces stacked on top of each other with a stairway hall and you can set 200 items out. It gets bigger from there! I found the apartment was fun to get working but very limiting for fine details and the small to be just right. The mind boggles at what larges can do but they're mostly the realm of FCs or deliberate venue makers.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 25, 2023