Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Hope you enjoy flying all the way across the Sea of Clouds to talk to one guy/click a shiny/bring me 20 Dhalmel asses for the next few weeks. Might want to stock up on podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

That Little Demon posted:

Well I don’t see how that would be useful to me as a white mage lol

Do you not know you can change classes? Go level something else if you're overleveled or need more damage.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Neo_Crimson posted:

No, if you go to an inn, FC house, your player house etc. You'll have access to a Glamour Dresser that can convert your gear into glamour appearances you can freely apply to glamour prism (basically transmog loadouts) at the cost of a glamor sphere and destroying the piece of gear as an actual equipable thing with stats.

e: beaten with the correct terminology

Glamour Dressers are only in Inns, you're thinking of Armoires.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Do some side content but lol at the person who said do all of Bozja first.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm one(?) set of cutscenes away from finally making it to Heavensward! :woop:

Get some food and clear your calendar for those.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Selane posted:

Lol, I was wondering what he was talking about with the bad voice acting, I forgot that they only hired the good actors starting with the first expansion.

Hmph! How very glib.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

They are probably one of the all time worst races I’ve ever seen in an MMO lol, which isn’t helped by how frequently they are like, leaders in the game, or big villains…. It is just so unbelievable lol. They look like loving children. At least with gnomes and halfings or dwarves they all look like old men and not… kids??

That’s nice but lay off the edgy nazi jokes, this isn’t 4chan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Doctor Yiff posted:

If you make a new squeenix account you can play free up to level 60. The free trial lets you play up through Heavensward if I remember right. If you decide you want to stick with it buy Endwalker for your existing account, which includes all the expansions up to that point.

The free trial expansion to level 70 comes with 6.5 in a month, right?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Sunday Morning posted:

If anyone has time and interest in how 1.0 went horribly wrong and what went into saving the game noclip's documentary on ffxiv 1.0 is a good watch. Footage of the game and interviews with the people who worked on both 1.0 and arr.

And if don't have time to watch a whole documentary but do have 8.5 minutes, there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIrju3F6nU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
The plugin you want that makes mouseover healing better is ReAction, it lets you do things like queue macros so you can use Mr. Nice's setup without the downsides.

And then if you really want to get into the features, with Stacks you can do things like have Esuna autotarget anyone who has a debuff, auto Dance Partner based on class priority, etc.

If you're gonna use plugins for healing, RezPls is nice to have too, it highlights who needs a Raise or Esuna so you don't have to memorize a million different boss ability names for Poison.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

WHM class questline continues to be the worst thing in the game by far lmao.

How clean is your taint though?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Xerophyte posted:

Note that while you can do a lot of things with macros, including mouseover targeting, it's not generally recommended for standard combat actions. Macros do not participate in ability queuing, which in practice means you incur a quarter second-ish extra cast time cost on any ability using them.

MOAction (or the better version, ReAction) fixes this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Frida Call Me posted:

only via modding and third party plugins, you'd need to use two of them.

"Hide Unwanted Banners" in Simple Tweaks gets rid of the FATE Joined! banner and music if you're going the plugin route.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Doomykins posted:

Hyur that doesn't look like a male fashion model is a cool bit of unique drip.

But why male models?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Simsmagic posted:

But getting enough tomestones to buy everything could take a while and I'm curious if it's even worth it

Just run all the roulettes to level an alt class for a day or two.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
You're only a few levels away from the subligar section of the game so don't worry about drip right now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Snae ling

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Bruceski posted:

It's a tiny shortcut, but note that when heading from the Gridania Aethercyte to the inn you can hug the building and dfrop down to the entrance.

You can also just port to the airship landing and run up the stairs.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Sunday Morning posted:

You can get personal buffs similar to FC buffs. I use +15% Grand Company seal ones frequently and the +15% MGP are good if the FC is slow switching buffs over in time for Cactpot.

There's also a reduced teleport fees one if your FC isn't already running that and you haven't done enough Blue Mage to the point that teleport fees no longer matter.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Professor Beetus posted:

If you're not opposed to using illegal mods, dalamud has an orchestrion plugin that lets you change the music to whatever you want. It was a lifesaver when I was grinding out mats on my animal crossing island (not really sure if this counts as a spoiler but spoiling just in case, as it's a new gameplay element that wss added in EW)

If you're not opposed to crime tools for the Saucer there's also the MiniCactpot solver as well as Saucy, which has tools to autoplay Cuff a Cur to get the challenge log bonus each week, show the AOEs on Slice is Right so you can cheat through the bamboo only to get annihilated by the shell game portion, and autoplay Triple Triad vs NPCs so you can leave your computer on overnight and grind out hundreds of thousands of MGP by humiliating House Fortemps Manservant at childrens card games.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

AndrewP posted:

Yeeah, starting to feel like this just ain't my kind of game. I wish it was, but I'm still getting zero joy out of the MSQ, and I'm not really sure more expansions are gonna fix that. I'm just skimming and skipping way too much dialogue to the point where I'm wondering why I'm playing anymore.

It's the unvoiced dialogue, it's the dated (though often pretty) graphics, it's the sheer number of quests that are often just you getting the runaround from a half a dozen people. All that in service of a very slow burn of a story. If it were more social, maybe these things would be tolerable, but it's basically felt like a single player game aside from a few dungeons.

Anyway, I do appreciate how good and helpful everyone in this thread is.

Are you doing all the yellow quests? You might have more fun if you mainline through ARR.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Attack on Princess posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Trip report. I wouldn't call the process foolproof, because it assumes you're familiar with the archaic ritual of MMO account management, but it was straight forward other than that. Posting my steps in case someone else needs this later:

I removed the trial launcher from Steam, and let Steam install the full game launcher. The new launcher had a Steam pop up window with a CD key that it said I'd need to enter somewhere. It didn't specify where.

The new launcher was identical to the trial launcher and still assumed I was on trial. I went to the Square-E account management and entered the CD key from the launcher's account button. It recognized that this was happening from the Steam version, and defaulted all the options to such. I restarted the launcher, and it recognized I had the full game.

It started a 80GB download on login. I had checked my steamapps FF14 folder earlier, and it was ~50GB before while afterwards it was starting from 0. Either the new download wiped it clean, or changing launchers removed it. It's unfortunate that it doesn't tack on the new stuff, but at least it doesn't make two different copies. It remembered all my settings.

Even if you aren't going to use any plugins, you should still use XIVLauncher instead of the official one because it downloads and installs everything much faster.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Nitrousoxide posted:

FFXIV is currently on sale for 60% off on steam, though not through Lodestone or the other Square Enix's other account providers. I have an account tied to my steam profile from back before the unlimted free trial was a thing, but the character I've actually played a ton on is a direct Square Enix account, not tied to my steam account. Is it possible to switch which FFXIV account is tied to the Steam login and take advantage of the 60% off sale?

You don't want FFXIV on Steam, it comes with a bunch of extra connectivity issues in addition to being locked in to Steam's walled garden.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

lines posted:

Ultimately this is if anything the point of Labyrinth of the Ancients nowadays. Third Ancient Flare Skip is real but only if you believe! Good for people to learn that.

What the gently caress, who gets to a third Ancient Flare??

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

YggiDee posted:

I swear Paradigm's Breach specifically seems to mald people, I once saw a party wipe because everyone was too busy angrily typing about who pulled? we have 3 in CS! cutscene takes too long they can watch it in the inn, you have lost more time hollering than you gained from the early pull etc

Between drama and the stat squish making everything take too long, noping out of Paradigm's Breach roulettes is usually a time save.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 28, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

404notfound posted:

I was chugging along and finally hit 70 on my dragoon, only to find that I'm no longer able to register for the alliance roulette. It says I need an item score of 305 now, but seeing as how I'm still wrapping up Heavensward, the level 60 poetics gear in Idyllshire is the best stuff I can get and is only item score 270.

I guess I can get higher level stuff from the market board? It's just annoying that I feel like I'm being punished for overleveling, particularly since the alliance roulette is the only one that seems to come up with DPS as the adventurer in need bonus with any regularity

If you’re that overleveled you don’t need to be running roulettes, just go play the game.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mainwaring posted:

Duty finder doesn't change much unless your DC is severely underpopulayed, because people don't bother to DC travel for roulettes.

But party finder is a different story and people will absolutely travel to their regions preferred DC. Chaos DC in EU is well populated and has good queue times but the party finder is dead compared to light.

Maybe not for current roulettes, but in particular if you're trying to catch up on older content like raids, duty finder in NA is dead anywhere but Aether. Don't be like me and spend 90 minutes Mandervilling on the Cloud Deck before giving up and going to Aether for a 5 minute duty pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Watching Tataru attempt the level 1 Archanist quest was very cute.

I'm pretty sure the quest also recognizes if you've done it yourself and the text is changed accordingly too. That's a nice touch.

Not just that, the quest even has alternate dialogue for if you have started that quest to do it yourself but not completed it, for the .001% of players that would ever happen to.