Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am technically not a sprout but I'm discovering new things all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One thing to remember in dungeons and raids:

While you should try to avoid dying if possible, death is not something to get hugely worked up over either. Even a full wipe is not as much a problem as it is in most other MMOs. You have to run back to the boss and your equipment takes a small hit to durability. And by small I mean, one of the more recent raids where I got owned a lot because I don't know and can't remember mechanics, at the end of it my gear was probably down to around 64-68%. Which meant a few hundred gil to fix everything which, once you're getting to the point where you're doing those raids, is virtually nothing.

This means that groups tend to be kinda chill, just tell people you're new to a raid or doing it the first time and they'll be very understanding. Things only get hectic when you get into (Extreme) or harder stuff, and that's never required, it's just for cool lookin' gear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about Y'shtola.

I think 6.x has been veering that way. She kicks off some of the post-End of Days stuff by wanting to go back to the First like she promised, and she gets moments of vulnerability like falling asleep in a pile of books and "Froth and Foam!" Not to mention the WoL specifically gets dialogue opportunities to roast her. Like it's not a major arc *yet* but it feels like they're adding detail to her besides just being an always-cool sardonic catlady.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

Occasionally the Trust npcs eat mechanics and die, this includes the healer. Having levelled Trusts to 90 i can say it seems to happen with Alisae and Urianger the most

Accurate

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Without any spoilers, the main things that change in HW if you’re wondering how it gets better are:

- the story gets a lot more nuanced. ARR has very obvious good guys and bad guys, HW is a story about a war that’s gone on for a long time and some people want it to end, some people want it only to end with the complete subjugation or annihilation of the other side, and some want it to keep going either because they benefit from the way things are or because they just can’t let go.

- Characters themselves get more complex. Your allies start accompanying you more on quests rather than hanging at the Waking Sands or wherever, one character in particular gets a lot of sorely needed development, and in general the dialogue’s better and the VA has improved (largely because they’re now given direction.)

-the flow of your journey from one place to another is much smoother, you uncover zones as you go and some aren’t open to you until the MSQ takes you there. It’s not being sent back and forth all herky-jerky as in ARR. The zones themselves are also generally really cool, there’s this cohesive atmosphere and mood that reflects the themes of the story.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've said this before maybe in this thread but yeah there's a gulf between how dungeons work in most video game and tabletop RPGs and how they ideally work in MMOs, and it's because with the latter you're just trying to get this poo poo done

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That expansion has a lot of High Drama moments so I’m grateful for the occasional respite.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't really remember that much about the Ivalice stuff, why is it held in such poor regard? What about the story turned people off?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

hopeandjoy posted:

Solution: do all side quests while you’re MSQing and level two classes.

Except Moogles. gently caress the Moogles.

Hey those Moogles got me through HW crafting.

(It's honestly the best source of DoH experience as far as I can tell.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There’s very little FOMO outside seasonal events and tomestone hunts and none of the items there are like, significant. (I believe everything in the tomestone hunts is gettable through other means, and seasonal glams go to the cash shop after a while.) Speaking of the cash shop you barely know it exists outside of the occasional ad for something on the login page, it’s completely separated from the experience of actually playing the game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Shortly after I started playing in 2020 I remember taking I think like three or four actual days to catch a fish outside cape westwind for one of the level 50 fishing quests. I don't know how that one compares to other rare fish or if I was just extremely bad/unlucky but I never tried going for anything super rare after that (It was satisfying to actually catch it though because people were selling them on the marketboard for like 50k or something ridiculous and I didn't wanna cave in)

Oooh I think I know the one you're talking about and I've hit a wall on it myself. I keep catching the OTHER rare valuable fish that you get from double-mooching.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think the crafting/gathering is what got the hooks in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Gunbreaker question-

Is there ever actually a good time to use Superbollide?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It is easy to overthink these things and I say this as a player who's reluctantly gotten into the rhythm of pulling two groups. I do find the runrunrunSTOP pacing a bit weird in any role, like should I try to get anything off or just keep up until we end up wherever, but tanking you can at least keep a steady pace by spamming your AOEs to keep everyone on you.

And as has been mentioned, most people won't care, and most people are reasonably polite in chat. Even if you do miss a mitigation ability and die people are generally pretty understanding (especially as this most often happens at the very start, you figure out what pace you're comfortable with and then go on.) Usually only takes a "MB" in chat if you really screw up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Eden raids are the most "essential" I'd say, they're a nice cap on the story and Ryne and Gaia are just the cutest omg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

:hmmyes:

Our lore rules ("I'm literally too angry to die. That's it."), our rotation is simple, and our roulettes are relatively painless since even if our healer's new or bad, once we get Raw Intuition we basically don't need one any more.

I like to describe the class as “tee hee axe go brrrr”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

That Little Demon posted:

Alright who wants to go gambling and clubbing tonight and pretend to be the weirdos from nigjt at the roxberry

That should be an emote really

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's always interesting to me to see gil sellers in the plazas, because gil *really* hasn't been a concern for me at all and presumably only really becomes an issue once you've got a house. During the free trial I was constantly bumping up against the 300k limit. It's not like WoW where it can take forever to get out of copper/silver and actually start making gold. (Note: I have not played WoW in a while this may have changed.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

That Little Demon posted:

honestly got wrapped up doing PVP for mogtomes for my stupid collector brain. The PVP is this game is... well, lol. Not very good? Honestly the most interesting thing is Rival Wings which I found 1 match in 3 hours (I am a DOTA fan).

PVP is a thing you do for mogtomes and catbook (you haven't found catbook yet, but it's a thing) and you run it, accept that you have no real control over what is going on, get the tomes/stamp and move on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
While the ARR characters were pretty simplistic I grew to like them all the same. They worked for the story that was telling, which was a broad, simple fantasy adventure.

I miss Minfilia.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV 1.0 was fundamentally a different game. It was deliberately slower and more grindy without much of a plot, and doing anything was way more involved. Gathering was this mini game of “hit the sweet spot!” (Go to the bottom floor of the Golden Saucer to try them out), something that wouldn’t be bad in a pure foraging/crafting game but was very annoying when you were just trying to get some logs to make a shield or whatever. The crafting itself was way more complex too. Everything was. The current jobs system didn’t exist. Mounts did not exist. Jumping did not exist, and the devs were confused why anyone would want that. Also it ran like crap and did so many things serverside that it is effectively impossible to recreate on private servers. There are compilations of the cutscenes online and it’s kinda neat if you want some lore but it’s also hella disjointed, and a lot of it was only put in after YoshiP was put in charge.

Like I believe he spent one patch trying to improve the game as it was, then immediately turned around and said “the only way to fix this is to completely rebuild everything”. And things were desperate enough that SE agreed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do feel the need to turn off some effect on the latest Alliance raids because it's 24 folks' lvl 90 effects going off and it can be genuinely hard to see what you're even fighting, let alone their patterns.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very intense song and maybe sometimes I'm just running FATEs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

That’s good running errands music so it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It starts pretty low key, which I found a nice pause after the High Drama of SHB, but I get why some may dislike it.